closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Tudor?

I really dislike the hour hand that Tudor use on the majority of their offerings, so probably not.

I do think the north flag was rather nice, but would prefer a standard bracelet rather than the integrated offering.

So overall probably not.

I don't particularly see them as a, "poor mans Rolex", they are a brand in their own right, just not for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Yes I would. Have another incoming too. Stunning watches IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    That looks great, amazing colouring on the dial

Would like one if it didn’t have the snowflake hour hand, just ruins the appearance for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Yes I would. Have another incoming too. Stunning watches IMHO.

That is a real beauty.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    That is a real beauty.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thankyou. I think the BBB flies under a lot of people's radar. Always gets positive comments whenever I wear it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webb Eye 11 View Post
    Would like one if it didn’t have the snowflake hour hand, just ruins the appearance for me.
    That's entirely your prerogative, however, the snowflake is quintessentially in Tudor's DNA and a very effective demarcation between the hour and minute hands. Pretty sure this was born from the Marine Nationale's request back in the day to have improved delineation and legibility.

That said, the modern day iteration of the snowflake is a little larger than the design used on the earlier Subs and for me does impact negatively on the aesthetic too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I find Tudor a real enigma in the watch world.

There are lots of watches I don’t like for a specific reason like the hands or size etc, but there are LOTS of Tudors which I think are exceptional regardless of price like the BB’s, black shield ceramic, Pelagos the list goes on.

I don’t own one but can’t work out why.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    That's entirely your prerogative, however, the snowflake is quintessentially in Tudor's DNA and a very effective demarcation between the hour and minute hands. Pretty sure this was born from the Marine Nationale's request back in the day to have improved delineation and legibility.

That said, the modern day iteration of the snowflake is a little larger than the design used on the earlier Subs and for me does impact negatively on the aesthetic too.
    The hour hand is the most prominent design feature of a modern Tudor "sports" models just as a Mercedes hand is for Rolex Professional Range.

I guess you either like it or you don't ... personally I like it as I think it makes for a very legible watch ...

Were I in the market for that sort of thing, I'd buy a Tudor over a Rolex, as the latter has no resonance for me as a brand and the price inflation/AD behaviour is a real turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    The hour hand is the most prominent design feature of a modern Tudor "sports" models just as a Mercedes hand is for Rolex Professional Range.

I guess you either like it or you don't ... personally I like it as I think it makes for a very legible watch ...
    I don’t mind the snowflake hand either and am always amused by this - I hate snowflake hands refrain.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    funny thread... buy what you like... and enjoy :)
    Off with your common sense! here we are trying to do some brand schilling/bashing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omegamotorcyclist View Post
    Morons without taste. I couldn't buy one.
    Yes. I am a moron & I lack taste.

/endthread

z

A question for Tudor wearers.............

When someone asks you about the watch - do you make a thing of the connection to Rolex, OR that Tudor is a manufacturer in its own right - and not mention Rolex?

On the styling - The lack of crown guards on most of the designs looks a bit incongruous to me, but maybe I am so used to seeing Sub-copy guards.

Blog Entries
    No one asks me about my Tudor watches and I certainly wouldn't mention Rolex if they did

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 10th December 2021 at 21:56.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    A question for Tudor wearers.............

When someone asks you about the watch - do you make a thing of the connection to Rolex, OR that Tudor is a manufacturer in its own right - and not mention Rolex?

On the styling - The lack of crown guards on most of the designs looks a bit incongruous to me, but maybe I am so used to seeing Sub-copy guards.
    Easy one that, think it depends on the WISness of the enquirer.

Non-watch person, I’m betting a sizeable majority may not be able to resist dropping the ‘R’ bomb into the chat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anybody can be bothered asking me about my Tudor Black Bay I certainly don't mention the R word, instead I would mention that Tudor are using the Breitling B01 base movement I believe.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I assume you have a Black bay Chrono as the B01 is Breitlings chrono movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyjohn View Post
    If anybody can be bothered asking me about my Tudor Black Bay I certainly don't mention the R word, instead I would mention that Tudor are using the Breitling B01 base movement I believe.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

My rather blunt answer - based on recent experience, where I was looking to buy anniversary gifts for myself and my wife - is no. I quite like a lot of their designs, but quite liking something and spending £1000’s on it isn’t enough for me. It’s still the slabby case sides issue, and something I can’t quite put my finger on that prevents me from liking their watches enough to commit. I do think it has something to do with having owned many Goldilocks Rolex models in the past which I flipped my way through - when they cost half as much as a black bay brand new - and I just don’t want to go back down that rabbit hole for watches which - design wise - I can’t quite convince myself to really like. I think I’d rather go vintage than new vintage designs.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Absolutely!

Isn't that something?!!! The strap suits it well!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by omegamotorcyclist View Post
    Some of them are undeniably very nice if you want a simple sub watch.

But it will always look like a poor mans Rolex.

I've started seeing estate agents wearing them. Morons without taste.

I couldn't buy one.

You?
    in short.. yes I would. I bought my Tudor Black Bay and a Speedmaster and get much more enjoyment out of the two of those than one Rolex.. its a better size for my small wrists than a sub, I love the gold features and Tudor has a great history to be proud of.

I have a Rolex 116710LN and Tudor Black Bay 79220N. I wear the Tudor far, far more than the GMT - it’s such an all round brilliant watch.

Master
    I just did.
    I wanted to love the BB58 Blue, sadly I found it too small. Tried on a BB black dial blue bezel but thought it was a bit blocky but loved the Pelagos. The only other candidate was a Breitling SO 42mm blue dial but was rather disappointed with the build quality for the money.

Master

Would you buy a Tudor?

I tried a BB58 on at Cribbs Causeway today and I found it wears really nicely. I had a BB bronze (43mm) previously but sold it in August. I tried the Standard Blackbay on too whilst I was there and it felt giant and if I’m honest oversized and cumbersome.
    I’ve got 7.5inch wrist (19.5cm) , so goes to show that wrist circumference doesn’t always dictate. Wrist shape makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 15th December 2021 at 16:07.

Craftsman

Tudor

I have owned at least 10 Tudors over the past 10 years and have kept a couple of my favourites in my collection. I would highly recommend the brand and the quality is right up there with some much higher priced watches.

I bought a Pelagos new and was very disappointed by it. It looked great in photo's, and still does, but in the flesh the quality demonstrated itself to be average, at best (IMHO). I traded it for a Omega 300 (model before current, without the lollypop second hand) and, TBH, it was one of the best trades I've made. It just reminded me that although Omega's are "common" you can't argue with the quality of the merch.

Quote Originally Posted by Merod View Post
    I bought a Pelagos new and was very disappointed by it. It looked great in photo's, and still does, but in the flesh the quality demonstrated itself to be average, at best (IMHO). I traded it for a Omega 300 (model before current, without the lollypop second hand) and, TBH, it was one of the best trades I've made. It just reminded me that although Omega's are "common" you can't argue with the quality of the merch.
    I have both the watches you are referring to the Pelagos and the SM300MC and I feel the Pelagos could take any abuse you could throw at it and it would be fine; I can mark / scratch the SM300MC just by looking at it.
    Both are nice watches but one gets a lot more wear than the other and I would only use one in a rough environment. The Pelagos lume eclipses the SM lume as well.
    In terms of finishing I think the Pelagos is fine for it’s price point, it has nice brushing and chamfers, a nicer bezel and bezel action and the clasp is a bit more tricked out. It is a dive watch you can use diving or in the rough, the same can’t be said for the SM300MC. The later is my smartish watch for when in a suit etc.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Merod View Post
    How was the bracelet of the Pelagos. The only thing keeping me from getting a Tudor is the lack of micro-adjustments in the bracelet. I think only the Pelagos and the new BB58 Bronze have it. Hopefully Tudor will add the new bracelet to the normal BB58 models instead of keeping it as a bronze model exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by ste28 View Post
    How was the bracelet of the Pelagos. The only thing keeping me from getting a Tudor is the lack of micro-adjustments in the bracelet. I think only the Pelagos and the new BB58 Bronze have it. Hopefully Tudor will add the new bracelet to the normal BB58 models instead of keeping it as a bronze model exclusive.
    The BB58 bronze has a mini glide lock, the Pelagos has almost a multiple setting easy-link situation.

The Pelagos is a fantastic watch but I couldn't get a good enough fit on my obese wrist. Either too loose or too tight.

I've had two BB Blacks, one BB Harrods, the blue Pelagos and the new BB Chrono black. The Pelagos was easily the best of the lot, just a shame I couldn't get the bracelet to work.

Master
    Yes I would and I have done so. To be honest I own more Tudors than any other brand of watch, albeit the majority of them are either vintage models or long since discontinued (I only own two ‘modern’ Tudors - the GMT and the blue heritage chrono).
    I really like most of the models they have offered over the years and I don’t feel like I’m blinkered into only owning Tudor as there are also Omega, Rolex, Doxa, Breitling as well as some others (Mondaine, Citizen, Tag Heuer, Seiko etc) in the watch box.
    I [used to] buy what I like if I can afford it and I don't really give a toss if my peers are wowed or otherwise - life's too short to try & impress people who I don’t really know IMO.

I’ve a 79190 Sub that I’d never sell and a Heritage Chrono.
    Now with the ridiculous Rolex availability bollocks a Tudor is at least available and dare I say better value.

Craftsman
    If you like the look of a Tudor and it's in your price range then get one , if not then dont.

I dont see any connection between it being a Rolex or not.

Would you buy a Tudor?

If it wasn’t for the Rolex link yes I would.
    The Black Bay 58 Blue really appeals to me.
    I like the domed glass, the size and thickness of the case, the non date dial, the chronometer certificate, the colour, the look, the feel - the whole package to be honest.
    In fact I’d actually take one over the current model Rolex Submariner.
    But it’s an in-house movement that would require service by RSC-UK and that just kills it stone dead for me

Last edited by adg31; 17th December 2021 at 12:12.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    If you like the look of a Tudor and it's in your price range then get one , if not then dont.

I dont see any connection between it being a Rolex or not.
    Yup.
    All that rubbish is amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    If it wasn’t for the Rolex link yes I would.
    The Black Bay 58 Blue really appeals to me.
    I like the domed glass, the size and thickness of the case, the non date dial, the chronometer certificate, the colour, the look, the feel - the whole package to be honest.
    In fact I’d actually take one over the current model Rolex Submariner.
    But it’s an in-house movement that would require service by RSC-UK and that just kills it stone dead for me

Why would it bother you having to send it back to Rolex?

Would you buy a Tudor?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Why would it bother you having to send it back to Rolex?
    I’ve posted my experience elsewhere so won’t go into detail but they damaged a brand new 116233 Datejust I’d got for my 50th birthday and sent for regulation via the AD it was bought from.
    Next they refused to rectify the damage even though we had photographs proving that the watch was undamaged when handed over to the AD.
    Fortunately the AD was very honourable and refunded the price of the watch after which I swore I’d never buy another Rolex.
    Its not as if I was a watch newbie expecting the impossible, having owned various Rolex watches for around 30-years, but this was quite possibly the worst customer service I’d ever experienced which killed the brand, and by association Tudor, for me.
    This said, I must confess to being sorely tempted when offered a new Sub Non-Date from an AD back in 2019 - but turned it down even though I could have happily flipped it for a quick profit!
    I’m more than happy to accept that mine was probably a one off experience but to each to their own; fortunately there are plenty of other great brands out there.
    All this said, I still think the Black Bay 58 Blue is a great looking watch!

Last edited by adg31; 17th December 2021 at 13:12.

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    I’ve posted my experience elsewhere so won’t go into detail but they damaged a brand new 116233 Datejust I’d got for my 50th birthday and sent for regulation via the AD it was bought from.
    Next they refused to rectify the damage even though we had photographs proving that the watch was undamaged when handed over to the AD.
    Fortunately the AD was very honourable and refunded the price of the watch after which I swore I’d never buy another Rolex.
    Its not as if I was a watch newbie expecting the impossible, having owned various Rolex watches for around 30-years, but this was quite possibly the worst customer service I’d ever experienced which killed the brand, and by association Tudor, for me.
    This said, I must confess to being sorely tempted when offered a new Sub Non-Date from an AD back in 2019 - but turned it down even though I could have happily flipped it for a quick profit!
    I’m more than happy to accept that mine was probably a one off experience but to each to their own; fortunately there are plenty of other great brands out there.
    All this said, I still think the Black Bay 58 Blue is a great looking watch!

Ah ok fair enough, puts a lot more context to it :)

Master
    Just picked up my second Tudor today, and am over the moon. I think it's up there for the best value watch on sale currently. Titanium, proper easily adjustable strap, stunning looking, comes with a rubber strap included, roulette date wheel..

Absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ste28 View Post
    The adjustment system is okay. It has two, maybe three, fixed glidelock 'like' setting and then a variable one tensioned by a spring. The spring system looks 'fragile' but it's not - I had no problems with it. The bracelet itself is good quality wise, but I never found it comfortable. The edges of the links are quite sharp ... again, with the SM300 I traded it for the bracelet on the Omega was far, far more comfortable. This is despite the Tudor being Ti and the Omega steel. I'd recommend borrowing one for a day (if you can) just to check the comfort suits - ideally on a warm day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have both the watches you are referring to the Pelagos and the SM300MC and I feel the Pelagos could take any abuse you could throw at it and it would be fine; I can mark / scratch the SM300MC just by looking at it.
    Both are nice watches but one gets a lot more wear than the other and I would only use one in a rough environment. The Pelagos lume eclipses the SM lume as well.
    In terms of finishing I think the Pelagos is fine for it’s price point, it has nice brushing and chamfers, a nicer bezel and bezel action and the clasp is a bit more tricked out. It is a dive watch you can use diving or in the rough, the same can’t be said for the SM300MC. The later is my smartish watch for when in a suit etc.
    Totally respect your opinion and I'd agreed with respect to the Omega being more 'smart' than 'tool/diver'. I would not class the Pelagos as a rough watch, indeed it marks super easy being Ti and all that (strictly speaking not the designs fault - you know what you're buying when you lay the cash on the counter). For me NOTHING beats (in more ways than one) my Damasko as a 'rough' watch. That think never ceases to amaze me 10+ years on - MEGA tool 'in the rough' watch and I don't think it gets the praise it should do for it's design, functionality and robustness ... at a great price point ... second hand ;)

Grand Master
    Yes....I did.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Two absolute thumpers therE.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Just picked up my second Tudor today, and am over the moon. I think it's up there for the best value watch on sale currently. Titanium, proper easily adjustable strap, stunning looking, comes with a rubber strap included, roulette date wheel..

Absolutely love it.

This I love.....apart from the hour hand. Always looks to me like it's going to swing and hang down like a pendulum. Apart from that the rest of the watch is great. Just my opinion of course but couldn't buy one due to this reason.

I must admit I never quite got Tudor in the pre Black Bay era. I wasn’t really sure what they were trying to be. However, since they decided to go their own way with their watch designs and movements I really like what they’re doing. Here are a couple of my current ones:
    IMG_1834.JPGIMG_3370.JPG
    The GMT is still my favourite even though it has recently succumbed to the dreaded date wheel issue after three and a half years of ownership. I guess it’s nearly due a service so it will be going back to Tudor at some point. Hopefully the service time will come down from the quite frankly ridiculous 12 weeks that they’re currently quoting.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
    I must admit I never quite got Tudor in the pre Black Bay era. I wasn’t really sure what they were trying to be. However, since they decided to go their own way with their watch designs and movements I really like what they’re doing. Here are a couple of my current ones:
    IMG_1834.JPGIMG_3370.JPG
    The GMT is still my favourite even though it has recently succumbed to the dreaded date wheel issue after three and a half years of ownership. I guess it’s nearly due a service so it will be going back to Tudor at some point. Hopefully the service time will come down from the quite frankly ridiculous 12 weeks that they’re currently quoting.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Great looking watch - like a contemporary take on the original GMT Master.
    I hope they get it sorted out for you soon

Would you buy a Tudor?

I nearly bought a new 43mm Black Bay Bronze at one point, but realised it felt like a watch from which I would fail to get my money’s worth - so I pulled out. Other than that, none of them really grab me tbh.

So I guess my answer is no.

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 19th December 2021 at 16:16.

Craftsman
    I bought Black Bay GMT and it's had the date wheel issue looked at. My first real luxury watch purchase.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk