closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Tudor?

Would you buy a Tudor?

Some of them are undeniably very nice if you want a simple sub watch.

But it will always look like a poor mans Rolex.

I've started seeing estate agents wearing them. Morons without taste.

I couldn't buy one.

You?

I've had a couple but don't have any at the minute. Will definitely have more at some point, especially with the new glidelock clasp on the BB58 Bronze which will hopefully come to the steel models.

I've seen agents with Aquanauts, Subs, Aquaracers and Carreras. Not sure what your point is there?

The estate agent who sold us our house recently was in his AD on day one getting the new LVc and a two tone Sub 41 at the same time so clearly a very good customer with - imo - very good taste. I saw it on his wrist before I saw any unboxing videos online.

I think your comment says more about you than agents.

Quote Originally Posted by omegamotorcyclist View Post
    Morons without taste.
    What strap is that on the Seamaster in your avatar? Is it yours?

Reads like a troll post to me. Not engaging with it.

Must try harder

I've had one and loved it. Would like to have a Pelagos. I see them as an alternative to Rolex, but not for poor men.

And another poster I don't want to deal with in the future.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I had a BB GMT but sold it (after giving it plenty of thought and time) as it was just too thick. It was extremely well made (mine did not suffer the date issue) and going forward they have a hell of a lot to offer in a watch with their build quality, looks and features.

If your put off because an XYZ person has one thats your loss and on that basis you will never buy any other watch again after seeing someone else you don’t like with one - and thats a crap attitude to have.

The point about being a poor mans Rolex is undeniable though but again its your loss your going to miss out on a very capable and well desinged piece of kit.

Master
    I think I would buy one, although I haven't yet. I understand your point about them being a sort of second-rate Rolex. But there are a lot of watches that I like that are less desirable than a Rolex.

I'm 'on the list' for an explorer 2 and wanted to get something I could pick up now whilst I waited/if it never happens.

Tried on a Tudor GMT at the weekend and didn't get the poor man's Rolex vibe but I still didn't buy it and probably wouldn't because it's not what I really want.

Also, for me, and I understand this won't matter to a lot of their target market, I just don't understand their portfolio. Everything is called a black bay, no matter what it does and they are giving omega and breitling a run for their money with the special editions they release.

Plus I've no idea how the bb58 has become so popular, it's tiny.

What I do think is that they make good looking watches, with an in house movement at a competitive price. Should be considered amongst omega, breitling, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master

I couldn't buy one.

You?
    Plenty of Bang for your Buck in a lot of Tudors & I'm sure plenty of "Morons without Taste" also wear Rolex & many other brands.

Only 13 more posts & you can then view SC - keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Plenty of Bang for your Buck in a lot of Tudors & I'm sure plenty of "Morons without Taste" also wear Rolex & many other brands.

I don't think that's his primary motivation. Think of him as a secondary account instead, just in case...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I’ve got a BB GMT. Would I swap it for a Rolex GMT?
    Yes, for as long as it would take me to get the Rolex to Watchfinder, pocket the profit and buy another BB GMT! It may not have the mass appeal of the Rolex but, to me, it’s a much better version of the classic design than the current ceramic offering from Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I don't think that's his primary motivation. Think of him as a secondary account instead, just in case...
    I see what you did there. Well spotted!

I'm a real estate agent and I don't wear a Tudor. I have four Rolex watches.

Does that prove I have a good taste? :D

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    I'm a real estate agent and I don't wear a Tudor. I have four Rolex watches.

Does that prove I have a good taste? :D
    No, but the e class estate does.

I couldn't buy one.

You?
    Which estate agents do you work for?

Yes mate, I wear a Tudor Black Bay BBN 79220N that’s going to be worth approximately £1m in approximately seven year’s time.

You?

2/10

The premise is good, Tudor as a "poor man's Rolex" is a strong theme that has stood the test of time. However, the execution is poor, with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. The writer shows promise but must work on allowing the reader to form the desired reaction over time rather than throwing in a hand grenade at the start. Turn up the heat slowly, think of the frog on the stove.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    No, but the e class estate does.
    Hahah thanks. :D

Nice.
    I've got a Tudor GMT which I wear in rotation with my Explorer 2. The Tudor gets more attention.
    Poor men don't pay nearly 3 grand for a watch (new), there are many alternatives for poor men, or women.

I own a few Tudor's, and I have been nothing but impressed by the quality of the watches. They also look nice, and are extremely comfortable.
    I see it as a Rolex without the brand name. Similar to a VW or Skoda being an Audi under a different badge; the parts underneath are the same.
    I alternate them between my Rolexes when wearing, and always receive appreciative comments, as the Tudor's are seen as being 'same, but different'.
    I wouldn't call it a 'poor man's Rolex'... do I wear watches because they are known to be expensive, for the name and to show off, or because I appreciate decent watches? For me, it's the latter.
    Plus I feel extremely carefree wearing Tudors when wearing as part of my 'daily beater' collection; walking out and about etc.
    I currently own 3, and have a few more on my list to purchase.

Craftsman
    Bit of a pointless post , wear a Tudor BB GMT as my daily currently .
    You will be outing Aldi shoppers with M and S carrier bags next

I currently own four, so must be a massive moron.

I think I have the poor mans Rolex covered as well

Well made watches for sure but no, I wouldn’t buy one.

If that statement is in your brain's vocabulary, then NO do not buy a Tudor. A Tudor will never satisfy a Rolex thirst. Even a Rolex often does not satisfy the Rolex thirst. A Tudor is for people that like Tudors. I always liked the Tudors that had no Rolex equivalent.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    Another moron here as I have two of those cheapo BB's, one the chrono', the other a GMT.
    One saving grace though is I'm not an estate agent.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    And another poster I don't want to deal with in the future.

I sensed he might have been here before, even before this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by trainspanner View Post
    The point about being a poor mans Rolex is undeniable though but again its your loss your going to miss out on a very capable and well desinged piece of kit.
    Not going to engage with the OP who's an obvious troll, but I'd take you up on this statement Mr TrainSpanner. I think it's completely deniable.

Once upon a time it was true. Tudor was effectively a Rolex case, bracelet, crown etc, but with a cheaper non-Rolex movement. So yes, it was quite literally a cheaper version of a Rolex for a more affordable market.

That's not been true for a long time now. Tudor make their own watch models, with their own cases, bracelets and crowns, their own in-house movements and their own unique designs.

It's a bizarre position to take that a Tudor is a poor mans Rolex these days in my opinion. Nobody mistakes a Tudor for a Rolex and there's no Rolex branding associated with a Tudor. A Tudor costs less than a Rolex, so do most comparative Omegas, Tags etc, are they all a 'poor man Rolex' as well?

Blog Entries

I couldn't buy one.

You?
    You? troll post if ever I saw one. Another goes on the “ignore” list.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

It's a bizarre position to take that a Tudor is a poor mans Rolex these days in my opinion. Nobody mistakes a Tudor for a Rolex and there's no Rolex branding associated with a Tudor. A Tudor costs less than a Rolex, so do most comparative Omegas, Tags etc, are they all a 'poor man Rolex' as well?
    To go one step further are Longines a poor mans Omega? Are Tissot a poorer mans Longines? No of course they are not. Nobody makes that connection. It seems to be limited to Tudor / Rolex.

I think that Tudor have moved out of its parents shadow and are now standing on their own merit.

I actually prefer Tudor’s design language to its parent, taking cost and availability out of the equation, I still prefer the look of a Pelagos or black bay to an SD or Submariner. Yes you can see the inspiration but Tudor make watches closer to the original concept of a tool / do anything rugged watch.

I'm not a real estate agent but perhaps I am a moron without taste. I'm curious what watch a tasteful man such as yourself wears. Please share a few photos with us.

I've owned a half dozen Tudors and currently have two. I'll have three as soon as the AD gets a BB58 blue on the bracelet in stock (I passed on the strap version). I've also owned a Rolex GMT that I rarely wore so I flipped it.

didnt want to fuel a troll thread, but that sub is lovely, and i rarely like divers. just something about the simple purity of the dial.

OP joined in January 2020
    However made no attempt to post until this month, which included 7 created threads in 11 days.
    Probably, has a game plan to see how far he can go before getting banned
    Troll thread.

I couldn't buy one.

You?
    What can I say. I assume your post is a windup

Anyone who says in today’s day that Tudor is a poor man’s Rolex is a prize idiot in my books.

Sorry if my original post was unclear. I am not trying to be a snob. I honestly feel self conscious about even wearing a Rolex because of the company that means I keep. I live in East London and it seems everyone is wearing a Rolex and driving a black Range Rover.

They are not doing it for the love of the thing, they are trying to just show off. You know the type.

My issue with Tudor is that its exactly the same concept, except the people showing off just don't have as much money.

But some of those modern simple tudors are so lovely, I suppose what I am really saying is that its a shame they are associated with Rolex as it will attract the same kind of people, and I'd hate to think someone would think I was wearing a watch to impress people rather than just loving the thing.

Tudor = Poor Man's Rolex
    Rolex = Poor Man's Patek
    Patek = Poor Man's Credor
    Credor = Poor Man's Greubel Forssey

Blahblahblah

I tend to buy what I like. Easier that way and I don't need to worry if I come across as poor or not.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I really want a left handed Pelagos. I'd leave the rest.

Master

I couldn't buy one.

You?
    Having worked within estate agency it was amazing how many tyre kicking morons we had to deal with within the general public or People who in normal circumstances might be reasonable turned into voracious lunatics when selling or imagining themselves as a Trump style negotiator when buying
    But anyway yes I’d wear a Tudor but prefer Omega on the whole
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 24th June 2021 at 21:26.

Master
    If I were an estate agent, I'd be putting something through your letterbox & it wouldn't be a sloworm, or an MX5!

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Not going to engage with the OP who's an obvious troll, but I'd take you up on this statement Mr TrainSpanner. I think it's completely deniable.

Once upon a time it was true. Tudor was effectively a Rolex case, bracelet, crown etc, but with a cheaper non-Rolex movement. So yes, it was quite literally a cheaper version of a Rolex for a more affordable market.

That's not been true for a long time now. Tudor make their own watch models, with their own cases, bracelets and crowns, their own in-house movements and their own unique designs.

my point was that they basically look like subs, whereas Seamasters (for example) look different

Sorry if my original post was unclear. I am not trying to be a snob. I honestly feel self conscious about even wearing a Rolex because of the company that means I keep. I live in East London and it seems everyone is wearing a Rolex and driving a black Range Rover.

They are not doing it for the love of the thing, they are trying to just show off. You know the type.

My issue with Tudor is that its exactly the same concept, except the people showing off just don't have as much money.

But some of those modern simple tudors are so lovely, I suppose what I am really saying is that its a shame they are associated with Rolex as it will attract the same kind of people, and I'd hate to think someone would think I was wearing a watch to impress people rather than just loving the thing.
    Where in East London are you living that everyone has a range rover and a Rolex?!

Maybe on the Essex borders a few Evoques at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    People who in normal circumstances might be reasonable turned into voracious lunatics when selling or imagining themselves as a Trump style negotiator when buying
    Sorry about that I was having a bad day.

Back on topic, no never buy a Tudor stick with Invicta.

I do like the Tudor North Flag - an iconic design in it's own right, owing nothing to a similar Rolex design.

Craftsman
    I would love the black bay 41 when funds allow,a great alternative to the Rolex Explorer at less than half price 😀

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Where in East London are you living that everyone has a range rover and a Rolex?!

Maybe on the Essex borders a few Evoques at best.
    tbf he's right on this bit, broadway market/victoria park is full on shabby chic trust fund types

OP if you are a troll then your initial post was deliberately provocative. If you’re not a troll then it was merely stupid and poorly judged.

5 minutes browsing on the forum would identify that Tudors are generally well regarded here and your post was bound to offend.

For the record I have no dog in the fight, I don’t own a Tudor and have only ever tried one on.

Slagging off every owner of any particular brand is hardly likely to win you friends.

Simon

Master

I couldn't buy one.

You?
    Oh what a twatish post from someone with such a low post count.
    Have you experienced the clasp on a Pelagos ?
    Have never understood the Rolex obsession despite having owned
    most of them. I currently have 1 Rolex and 2 Tudors in the collection -
    plus many others.