closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jaguar S-Type. Any owners (former!?)

Master

Jaguar S-Type. Any owners (former!?)

Evening all.
    Following on from my query about a Jag XK8, I've gone and kept the X-Type and bought a matching S-Type to sit next to it.

Please don't ask why (OK, it was cheap!**), I really don't need a second car and most definitely not a money pit like a 20 year old Jag
    This one is actually not bad - still has 11 months MOT but there's a tiny bit of rust on the sills and the leather interior is looking well and truly past it. I'm not going to go full-on restoration, it's pointless with a car like this, but I'm going to at least try and replace the steering wheel and handbrake, then give the seats a proper leather treatment to make it look a bit nicer inside.
    I might even treat it to a "Magic Tree" air freshener to impress the neighbours.

Has anyone here owned the S? I appreciate it's not the best looking model they've produced but I do like the big cruising barge cars in this style, I can see me getting a couple of years worth of fun out of this. RWD, big 3 litre V6, oh yes it sounds lovely when you plant the right foot.

**It was also meant to be the same colour as my X-Type and my Mum's XJS... except it isn't! This one is the pale green "Ocean Spray" colour instead of the pale "Ice Blue" that I wanted Looked blue on the pictures...

Absolute liability... this is why I'm a risk to myself on the internet.

Oh, ignore the ugly scrape on the front corner - I did that loading it onto the trailer but it's easily sorted. Probably.

Last edited by kevkojak; 22nd June 2021 at 23:22.

Blog Entries
    When you said 'S' Type I thought...........

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Find me a blue one, I'll add it to the list.

Master
    jaguarforum.com for tips and advice.

I had a colleague at work who had one and he loved it. Be prepared with a brand spanking new battery as a dodgy battery can throw up all sorts of expensive looking warnings and anomalies due to the mass of electronics and sensors.

I also had an "original" 1965 S type (3.8 S type auto) which (according to MOT history) was still running in 2018!!!

A bit of rust showing may be a sign of things to come! It's what you can't see that you worry about with the modern jags!

Enjoy in good health. My 22 year old Rover sends its regards to its lookalikey! :)

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Same here. The other one is a rebadged Mondeo, isn't it?
    Not meant so much in a disparaging way but because it means some parts may be both cheap and easy to find. And you've got the right engine.
    I agree, looks blue on the photos to me, too.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Find me a blue one, I'll add it to the list.
    A respray will be pennies compared to what you'd fork out to have a nice and sound one

I'm not a former owner but in the noughties I used to share the travelling from South Wales to Gosport to work on helicopters with a work mate. He had an S Type and I had a Freelander. My Freelander was a dreadfull old boat, never repeat that mistake again, but I loved the journey in the Jag. Like a magic carpet ride, and totally reliable too. Bit thirsty obviously but then you know that. Lovely cars.

Duratec is a good engine, I have one making over 600 bhp

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Same here. The other one is a rebadged Mondeo, isn't it?
    Not meant so much in a disparaging way but because it means some parts may be both cheap and easy to find. And you've got the right engine.
    I agree, looks blue on the photos to me, too.
    That was the X not the S I thought in reference to Mondeo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

That’s right, IIRC, the S was a rebodied American car although I can’t remember exactly what. The dusiensiin was tweaked too I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

You are absolutely correct. My apologies, Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s right, IIRC, the S was a rebodied American car although I can’t remember exactly what. The dusiensiin was tweaked too I believe.
    The chassis is from the Lincoln Town car I believe.

I had three back in the day - a 3.0V6, a 2.7 V6 Diesel, and an S-Type R.

I think I was about 29 when I got my first one, and was considerably ribbed about it.

However, I absolutely loved them all - great cars, superbly comfortable and handle much better than their size suggests. The Type-R was a 400bhp supercharged beast, and at the time there was not a lot around that would keep up with it.

Yes, the styling is divisive, and was at the time, but I think they may become a future classic.

I had an XJ-R soon after, and didn't like it anywhere near as much - too big for British roads and carparks, and not as sharp dynamically.

Whatever you paid, you got a lot of car for the money. Maintenance from a decent independent should be fairly reasonable too. Economy, not so much...

Any other questions, just ask!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Kev I had one 3.0 Petrol 1999 two years old when I got it, great car on the motorways but horrendous on fuel. Couple of little gremlins electrical but that was about it. One thing I would say for big car surprisingly small in the cockpit and rear leg room.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Hi Kev I had one 3.0 Petrol 1999 two years old when I got it, great car on the motorways but horrendous on fuel. Couple of little gremlins electrical but that was about it. One thing I would say for big car surprisingly small in the cockpit and rear leg room.
    I had one as a company car for a short period many years ago, when they were current.

I'd agree with all the points above, but the one I had was also the evilest handling thing I ever drove.

I suspect there may have been a problem with it, but it would snap into oversteer with zero provocation at very modest speeds.

I got shot of it fairly quickly and bought my own car.

As I recall it was based on the chassis of some dire American Ford, which may explain the handling!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    The chassis is from the Lincoln Town car I believe.
    That rings a bell. Think it was also common on something else American via the Ford platform, so mondeo wasn’t too far away in fairness

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I had one as a company car for a short period many years ago, when they were current.

I'd agree with all the points above, but the one I had was also the evilest handling thing I ever drove.

I suspect there may have been a problem with it, but it would snap into oversteer with zero provocation at very modest speeds.

I got shot of it fairly quickly and bought my own car.

As I recall it was based on the chassis of some dire American Ford, which may explain the handling!

M
    I genuinely think you must have had a duffer.

They were based on a Lincoln platform, but one that was well regarded. The S-Type was generally praised at the time for its handling and chassis.

In snow though, it was hopeless, like most large rear wheel drive cars.
    So clever my foot fell off.