closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric Toothbrush

Craftsman

Electric Toothbrush

I've read old posts, Googled far too much but still need advise on buying a new electric toothbrush.
    I don't need too top spec ones just a good battery charge time and best clean.
    Any help much appreciated.

I have a mid range Oral-B. Cannot fault it. Teeth have never felt cleaner. Convenient and it lasts a week without charge for me and the SO on holiday.

I bought an Oral-B Genius X, which was about 100 quid as I fell for the bells and whistles.

It has a lot of modes that I just don't use, and also Bluetooth which syncs with an app on your phone which I've used once for the sake of it. Battery lasts 5 days for two people, so not brilliant, but not terrible.

The travel case is handy as it carries the toothbrush and two heads (both must be detached), but it's described as a 'USB travel case'. However it's not USB-chargeable, it uses a proprietary cable that goes into a shaver outlet. What it has is a USB port on it, so you can charge a USB device whilst also using a shaver port to charge the toothbrush. This is not something I've ever needed to do! It would have been far better if the travel case was actually chargeable via USB. You therefore still need to lug around the proprietary cable and a shaver plug adapter given how scarce those shaver plugs now are.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I have a mid range Oral-B. Cannot fault it. Teeth have never felt cleaner. Convenient and it lasts a week without charge for me and the SO on holiday.
    This - some good deals on Amazon at the minute.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Or philips sonicare. I’ve had both Oral B and Philips. Not much to choose between them but Oral B replacement heads are much cheaper.

Another shout for Oral B cross action excellent for plaque removal shop around you'll always get a good deal 👍

any of the modern oral-b, about mid-range that has all the speed settings.

make sure it has lithium battery

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've just taken delivery of the latest Oral-B iO E/tbr. It came free of charge in return for sitting through a 30 minute seminar on the brush. If the sales talk is to be believed it's very impressive. I'm not convinced that it'll clean my teeth any better than my current manual toothbrush though.

If I was to recommend an electric toothbrush it'd likely be one of the Oral-B range. I'm equally likely to recommend an electric toothbrush user to change back to a manual one though.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've just taken delivery of the latest Oral-B iO E/tbr. It came free of charge in return for sitting through a 30 minute seminar on the brush. If the sales talk is to be believed it's very impressive. I'm not convinced that it'll clean my teeth any better than my current manual toothbrush though.

If I was to recommend an electric toothbrush it'd likely be one of the Oral-B range. I'm equally likely to recommend an electric toothbrush user to change back to a manual one though.
    Sorry, but there is no comparison between manual and electric.

Blog Entries
    Another vote for the Oral B range. Does what it says on the tin.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Oral B do a Duo Pack which is a bargain. For £50 you get two cross action electric toothbrushes, and one charger. The handles are different colours (pink and black) so you can easily tell who owns what. There is even a little coloured pink/black ring on the brush heads. So no excuse to accidentally use the wife’s brush in future.

Craftsman
    We have both Oral B’s and the Philips Sonicare in our household, I prefer the Oral B’s simply because the heads seem better value.

The issue with the iO range is that I think they're not standard Oral-B heads, so you have to only buy iO ones rather than using the most commonly available Oral-B ones.

Craftsman
    Thank you everyone, I'm going with an Oral B mid range from Amazon that's got the offers on right now.

Much prefer Sonicare to Oral B, but they fail on average around every 3 years.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Much prefer Sonicare to Oral B, but they fail on average around every 3 years.
    My sonicare is doing well then at 5 years and counting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got an oral b, the newer ones have a lithium battery so last whilst on holiday. You'll never use more than one mode. Traditional heads work best. Amazon usually have them for £50ish

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Sorry, but there is no comparison between manual and electric.
    Haha, sorry but how wrong you are. I talk from the experience of treating more than 150,000 patients over the past 35 years. You can get your teeth 100% clean with a manual toothbrush if you know what you’re doing, are motivated & aren’t totally cack-handed. Conversely you can do a shit job with an electric one. I have had countless patients over the years who confidently predict that I should find that their plaque scores will be much improved since their last visit because they’ve started using an electric toothbrush. Within seconds of examining their teeth I’m wondering the most tactful way of breaking it to them that their oral hygiene has become much less effective. Most of us have had a lifetime of practice using a manual tbr. An electric tbrush requires a quite different technique. I swear that a great many people think that an etbr is a magic wand that they only have to waft around the mouth & it will miraculously attract all the plaque towards it. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a place for an electric toothbrush. I may recommend one if a patient is hopeless with a manual tbr on the basis that it can’t get much worse. But plenty of people do much worse with an electric one.

Haha, sorry but how wrong you are. I talk from the experience of treating more than 150,000 patients over the past 35 years. You can get your teeth 100% clean with a manual toothbrush if you know what you’re doing, are motivated & aren’t totally cack-handed. Conversely you can do a shit job with an electric one. I have had countless patients over the years who confidently predict that I should find that their plaque scores will be much improved since their last visit because they’ve started using an electric toothbrush. Within seconds of examining their teeth I’m wondering the most tactful way of breaking it to them that their oral hygiene has become much less effective. Most of us have had a lifetime of practice using a manual tbr. An electric tbrush requires a quite different technique. I swear that a great many people think that an etbr is a magic wand that they only have to waft around the mouth & it will miraculously attract all the plaque towards it. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a place for an electric toothbrush. I may recommend one if a patient is hopeless with a manual tbr on the basis that it can’t get much worse. But plenty of people do much worse with an electric one.
    Nobody has claimed any 'magic properties'.

I speak as a long time user with only one of my adult teeth missing and 4 small fillings @ age 59.

I have had 3 dentists over my life (from age 12). The first was 'old school' the other two have 100% said that electric is a better option for most people.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 22nd June 2021 at 22:32.

Philips sonicare are £35 out of boots right now. You can get compatable heads off amazon pretty cheaply. I've had oral b in the past but always felt sonicare give a better clean.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nobody has claimed any 'magic properties'.

I speak as a long time user with only one of my adult teeth missing and 4 small fillings @ age 59.

A lot of people have poor oral health.
    You said that there was no comparison between manual & electric. I assumed that you meant that electric was better. That isn’t the case. I’d call it 50/50 at best.

Btw I’m 58, have a very similar number of restorations to you, perfect periodontal health & no missing teeth. I’ve used a manual toothbrush almost exclusively. So there you go.

You said that there was no comparison between manual & electric. I assumed that you meant that electric was better. That isn’t the case. I’d call it 50/50 at best.

Btw I’m 58, have a very similar number of restorations to you, perfect periodontal health & no missing teeth. I’ve used a manual toothbrush almost exclusively. So there you go.
    I much prefer electric TBH - my first reply was probably a bit short.

Craftsman
    I much prefer electric TBH - my first reply was probably a bit short.
    Phillips for me...lasts a lot longer

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Philips sonicare are £35 out of boots right now. You can get compatable heads off amazon pretty cheaply. I've had oral b in the past but always felt sonicare give a better clean.

Superdrug do a clone of sonicare heads

Master
    I’m a Soniccare user and buy cheap heads from Amazon. They seem just as good but possibly wear out faster. I use a manual tootbrush when I travel. I think you can have good oral hygiene with either, but the electric is easier.

Given concerns about electronic waste I’m expecting a retro toothbrush revival soon, similar to the rise in popularity of DE shaving.

Master
    Sonicare for me. My dentist and last two hygienist have praised the benefits of an electric toothbrush and praise me for my good oral hygiene. That wasn’t the case when I was using a manual brush. Feels so much cleaner using an electric too.

I use Philips in the morning and oral b in the evening. Philips lasts longer between charges and seems to age better. On no. 3 oral b and no. 2 Philips. Decided I’d get the best of both worlds plus one will take over duties while the other is on the charger 24 hours.

Blog Entries
    Me Sonicare her Oral B and you pays your money etc but in both cases i buy generic heads on E Bay but change them every Month.
    The 2 minute clean is far more than i would do with a regular brush.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

You should have picked "Trident Gum" as your moniker

I don't doubt your experience which is very interesting.

I view Electric brushes as doing a better job in the time that most people are prepared to spend on brushing morning and night.

For most, it is an almost subconscious act, especially nowadays where they are busy texting/reading texts at the same time.

Craftsman
    Sonicare for me, lasts a lot longer than Oral-B though accept more money for consumable heads.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Superdrug do a clone of sonicare heads
    I'll take a look thanks