closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gore-Tex Waterproofness

Gore-Tex Waterproofness

I was out on a cycle ride last Friday and got caught in the biblical amount of rain that was about. Good job I had by goretex cycle jacket on, or so I thought.

Well, within an hour my cotton t-shirt was absolutely soaked through. The rain was immense, but I thought goretex was waterproof.

It hadn’t been that long since I washed the jacket and i tumbled dried it before I headed out to reinvigorate the fabric.

Anyone else have problems with goretex?

What did you wash it with? Normal detergent can knack goretex, need to use proper stuff like Nik wax. Did you reproof it after washing?

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    What did you wash it with? Normal detergent can knack goretex, need to use proper stuff like Nik wax. Did you reproof it after washing?
    This. Detergents will remove the breatsbioty of the fabric. By then also expose it to additional heat through the tumble dryer you may have also compromised the fabric. What does it say on the garments wash label?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    This. Detergents will remove the breatsbioty of the fabric. By then also expose it to additional heat through the tumble dryer you may have also compromised the fabric. What does it say on the garments wash label?

I had to google ’breatsbioty’ as I thought I’d came across a word I’d never seen before....
    ‘Breathability’ meant I presume, thats the kind of typing I usually do as well btw

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    I had to google ’breatsbioty’ as I thought I’d came across a word I’d never seen before....
    ‘Breathability’ meant I presume, thats the kind of typing I usually do as well btw
    It was apologies my typing skills on my phone are poor at the best of times.

Apart from the performance of the Gore-Tex material, wearing a cotton T shirt is a no-no. This will soak up your sweat and chill you if you stop, whereas a good synthetic "performance" undergarment will wick the sweat from your body and allow the vapour to escape through the Gore-Tex.
    F.T.F.A.

I sweat quite a lot when exercising and pretty much overwhelm any waterproof jacket. So yours might still be waterproof but the amount of vapour you are producing inside is too much for the technology.

I was up in the mountains the other day and was also wet inside but that was sweat and not the jacket leaking.

The only jackets that have helped is Paramo, but they are quite a bit heavier than goretex style so not ideal in warmer weather.

Cheers, Shaun

Master
    I worked in the waterproof breathable clothing industry some years ago and would comments as follows

Magrius is right always wear a synthetic breathable base layer, since you beed a breathable system not just outer

Washing with the correct detergent is key eg Nikwax or other Gore approved cleaners

Tumble drying enhances NOT compromised your breathability, as long as you dont exceed the manufacturer temp instructions

Breathable fabrics work by Moisture Vapour Transfer.

MVTR relies on the sweat molecules being many times smaller than rain droplets so the sweat migrates away and the rain stays on the face fabric.

This is why breathable materials like Gore-tex want the rain to hit the surface of the jkt, Bead up and roll off. Thus leaving the jacket outer able to breathe away the moisture coming through. Its like a moisture pump, your heat and moisture drive the small sweat molecules to the face fabric , where it is evaporated away.

The following things could have happened during your ride

1) You cotton Tee was storing up sweat as you rode, but whilst it was dry the outer fabric could have handled the sweat and moved it away, venting and draughts probably helped here. When the rain came the whole mvtr slowed and the jacket was overwhelmed

2 If you had incorrectly washed the garment before , when it rained the face fabric wetted out , the MVTR would stop as the sweat could not wick away as the face fabric was allready sodden with rain.

3 ) Lastly cuffs and collars can let in rain if not cinched up, that extra moisture soaked in to cotton tee would again overwhelm the MVTR system.

All breathable membrane systems struggle when its raining hard and the person is exercising hard. Compare this to a golfer or someone walking less strenuously in the rain and the jkt will do its job with ease.

So going fwd

Synthetic base layer eg Helly hansen
    Good cleaning and drying regime
    Check neck cinch, and sometimes loosen cuffs to aid venting

Hope this helps

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 22nd June 2021 at 09:07.

^^^^^^^^

That is extremely useful, thanks!