closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Motorbike Dryers - any experience?

Motorbike Dryers - any experience?

Evening All

I got a great recommendation here a few years back for my Kranzle pressure washer and have never looked back with it.

I wondered what thoughts were about bike/car dryers? I have an air compressor and do use it to blow moisture out of fastenings when the bikes have been cleaned.

My motivation is that I own two ultra-low mileage classic bikes. Both kept in a dehumidified garage and any corrosion is to be avoided at all cost. Neither bike ever ridden on salted roads.

I have been looking at the Bruhl MD1900+ as it has the warm air function. Wondered if I had missed any other tricks?
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 21st June 2021 at 21:20.

I have a Metrovac Air Force Express and use it all the time on my cars. It is amazing just how much water comes out of places you can't reach. I was a bit sceptical at first, but it's a fantastic tool, especially during colder weather when it's really hard to let the car air out outside.

Craftsman
    I use a pet dryer something like this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2800W-Pet....m46890.l49286

but the Metro vac or Big Boi blower come well recommended.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by noidea; 21st June 2021 at 21:37.

Master
    I use a pet dryer too. Works fine.

as above - get a pet dryer, they are usually the same machine that just been rebranded but half the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-...4339487&sr=8-5
    Last edited by pugster; 22nd June 2021 at 06:26.

I have a Bruhl 1900 version ( one step up from the basic one) has heater too
    I’d recommend it for motorcycle use and it also does our eMTB’s nicely too
    I’d hesitate to recommend it if you’re looking for something to do the car as well though,as it’s great for nooks and crannies, door shuts etc but doesn’t really have the oomph for large flat panels as easily as you’d want. It’s ok if you use a squeegee in conjunction but I think people buy these things for cars hoping not to have to “touch” the panels…
    So to answer the OP’s question- definitely recommend the model you’re looking at..
    Last edited by GOAT; 22nd June 2021 at 08:06.

A leaf-blower works fine, and is probably cheapest/most versatile.

The low-velocity dryers which also heat the air - are more likely to evaporate the water, but leave the salts on on the bike.

Yes very good, drys the bike perfectly and less chance of trapped water corroding things

I would advise against leaf blowers as they will chuck all kinds of grit at the paintwork. A dryer will have a filter and be much more precise.

I know the question was specifically about drying bikes, but just a comment about using it on larger areas on cars, as a previous post mentioned, it's not really meant for that, it would take hours. It's to get into the areas a squeegee and a towel can't. It's perfect for drying multi spoke wheels, and especially the bolt holes, as well as callipers, etc. and my favourite is getting all the water out of panel gaps.

Master
    I have a Blo Air RS dryer for my car hot or cold if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I would advise against leaf blowers as they will chuck all kinds of grit at the paintwork. A dryer will have a filter and be much more precise.

I know the question was specifically about drying bikes, but just a comment about using it on larger areas on cars, as a previous post mentioned, it's not really meant for that, it would take hours. It's to get into the areas a squeegee and a towel can't. It's perfect for drying multi spoke wheels, and especially the bolt holes, as well as callipers, etc. and my favourite is getting all the water out of panel gaps.

They only pick up what is in the atmosphere at the time - they don't actually produce 'all kinds of grit' .................................... Less damage then a 1hr drive in your car in clean air (not stonechips on bumper). i.e. no damage.

The velocity of a leaf blower means that you need a very short blast to clear each area.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    They only pick up what is in the atmosphere at the time - they don't actually produce 'all kinds of grit' .................................... Less damage then a 1hr drive in your car in clean air (not stonechips on bumper). i.e. no damage.

The velocity of a leaf blower means that you need a very short blast to clear each area.
    Where is the eyeroll emoji when you need one? Of course they don't produce grit, but they pick up whatever is around without filtering. Why wash a vehicle if you're gonna blow dust all over it?

Where is the eyeroll emoji when you need one? Of course they don't produce grit, but they pick up whatever is around without filtering. Why wash a vehicle if you're gonna blow dust all over it?
    Agreed.

I have a leaf blower already plus my compressor!

I have ordered the Bruhl MD1900+ so I will let you all know how I get on with it. Thanks for all the input!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Agreed.

I have a leaf blower already plus my compressor!

I have ordered the Bruhl MD1900+ so I will let you all know how I get on with it. Thanks for all the input!
    May I recommend you use hearing protection. The machine is quiet, but the noise from the nozzle can be very loud..👍

How much dust settles on the horizontal surfaces of your vehicle in 5mins since washing it?

That’s the amount of dust in the atmosphere - jeez, we’d be scared to apply polish after 5mins for fear of rubbing in the dust you are envisaging.

Master
    The Wickes Wet and Dry vacuum is also a powerful blower. Used to be made by Earlex. We've had ours for about 12 years and still blowing and sucking strong. Great tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    May I recommend you use hearing protection. The machine is quiet, but the noise from the nozzle can be very loud..

Yep definitely this, I put some ear plugs in when using mine its dangerously loud or the wind noise it creates when hitting surfaces can be

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    The Wickes Wet and Dry vacuum is also a powerful blower. Used to be made by Earlex. We've had ours for about 12 years and still blowing and sucking strong. Great tool.
    Definitely worth considering, I use a Draper wet and dry shop vac on blow, with the nozzle fitted it does an excellent job at drying the bike and clearing moisture out of the hard to reach corners

To the OP…
    Pm me your address and I will send you a free bundle of ear plugs ….
    Goat

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Definitely worth considering, I use a Draper wet and dry shop vac on blow, with the nozzle fitted it does an excellent job at drying the bike and clearing moisture out of the hard to reach corners
    You have to remember to empty the dust box before any serious blowing. I once inadvertantly filled the leyounge(sic) with fluff and plaster dust. My ultra-fastidious termagant Wife wasn't pleased.

A decent airline.
    Helps to wrap a bit of insulation tape around the circumfrence of the nozze just in case you touch/catch anything on the bike.

Thanks everyone (and in particular GOAT for the kind offer of some ear protection!)

Drier arrived yesterday and I managed to have a quick test to make sure all works ok. I thought the noise was ok actually, but as I work nights I have my own set of earplugs that I use to help sleep in the day. Can fall back on these if things get too noisy!