closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,700 of 2840

Thread: Things you'll never understand

Has anyone ever stumbled across these idiotic seemingly pointless videos on the web where (usually) a couple carry out for example an arty `craft` the results of which are nonsensical and worthless and seem to have no objective or decorative merit at all.
    It usually involves a selection of different coloured paints which they splodge onto some card/wood/other item, slosh it around a bit, hold it in different angles to merge the colours and then cover it with cling film before fixing it (so that the painted side is not viewable) onto an innapropriate surface such as a fence/kitchen cupboard/dog/whatever..?
    Or, they get some string, wrap it around an apple, drill a hole into i then throw it down the stairs!
    Maybe i`m missing the subtleties of these vids, but i just don`t get it.
    They`re usually on FB or youtube shorts, maybe i should spend less time online...

Things you'll never understand

Who on earth is doing their laundry outdoors at a motorway services?!

Last edited by wileeeeeey; 12th September 2023 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Who on earth is doing their laundry outdoors at a motorway services?! And no dryer? So just bringing wet clothes with you?!

One of the machines does say DRY20kg…
    Maybe lorry drivers or anyone on a long road trip?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 12th September 2023 at 11:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    One of the machines does say DRY20kg…
    I was too stunned that a croissant from pret had just cost me £4.20 to read that massive three letter word.

Still confused at the whole prospect though. Surely it can’t be making money? Not sure how clean an outdoor dryer is

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Whenever I watch a nature tv show and it has beekeepers on it I’m always thinking why cover yourself head to toe to those protective suits but they never wear gloves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wearing cotton/hide gloves has more potential to transfer disease between the hives as the gloves are rarely cleaned during the season. Disposable silicon (medical style) gloves is the new norm, changing them between each hive. 'Old Skool' beekeepers are hardened to the stings, so prefer to go gloveless as the hives are easier to manipulate carefully without gloves, plus the stings on the hand can easily be scraped off using a hive tool when you get stung so reduces the impact.

Wearing a full/half suit stops the bees from stinging your eyes/face - which is what the bees often go for when the bees get narky.

Campers?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Wearing cotton/hide gloves has more potential to transfer disease between the hives as the gloves are rarely cleaned during the season. Disposable silicon (medical style) gloves is the new norm, changing them between each hive. 'Old Skool' beekeepers are hardened to the stings, so prefer to go gloveless as the hives are easier to manipulate carefully without gloves, plus the stings on the hand can easily be scraped off using a hive tool when you get stung so reduces the impact.

Wearing a full/half suit stops the bees from stinging your eyes/face - which is what the bees often go for when the bees get narky.
    Love the breadth of knowledge here...was stung just over the eyebrow once , man that hurt.

I was too stunned that a croissant from pret had just cost me £4.20 to read that massive three letter word.

Still confused at the whole prospect though. Surely it can’t be making money? Not sure how clean an outdoor dryer is
    Someone's using the 9 kg washer in that photo.
    I can definitely see the appeal for those on long trips such as lorry drivers. Seen some videos with mini washers in their cabs (the wonders of the YouTube algorithm) so presumably there is a market for them.

Blimey that´s daylight robbery.

Master

Possibly it’s laundering more than dirty washing?

Guilty. Not at a motorway services but at the local petrol station with the same set-up as that. Last year during my house extension we were without a kitchen and utility for a few weeks, so I spent a fortune there.

Plenty of service stations around here have those laundry facilities. (The nearest motorway services is about 50 miles away from here.)

They're used by people in temporary accomodation (B&Bs & hotels for example) with no on-site facilities. They're also used by people who can't afford £200 upwards on a washing-machine & dryer when:

a. they don't have one or

b. theirs has broken down & they can't afford to repair it.

It's a form of poverty tax in a way: they're expensive to use once a fortnight (or whatever) at approx. £20-25, but cheapish compared to buying, maintaining & running your own.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

Interesting thanks, off to look up a hive tool now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it that I'm always attempting to click on a link before the page has loaded in full?

The amount of times I've ended up in "Leather, Rubber & Nylon" instead of the "G&D" because the page loads at the very moment my finger touches the screen is unreal... One day I'll learn.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Why is it that I'm always attempting to click on a link before the page has loaded in full?

The amount of times I've ended up in "Leather, Rubber & Nylon" instead of the "G&D" because the page loads at the very moment my finger touches the screen is unreal... One day I'll learn.
    Freudian 'click' exposes underlying fetish perhaps?

Realised what I'd typed after hitting submit, thought I'd keep it as is rather than edit it....

People who put the letter s on the end of the word simple.

Do they think it adds more weight to their post? Or are they simply simple?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post

You can thank the Comparethemarket Meerkats for that I think. I agree, one of the many annoyances of today's "modern" language. [Don't get me started on "youth speak" - a debate I have with my 2 daughters regularly.]

I'd include all people who put the word simple (even w/o the s) at the end of their post.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    You can thank the Comparethemarket Meerkats for that I think.
    Yes, it's a nod to what has become a famous advert. Of course, you have people who never saw the advert but heard it from mates/colleagues and are convinced it spells that way.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

“Loving’ the new look - rather than ‘love’…………..

”Dialling in” suspension rather than “setting up” (sounds more ‘racy’, I know………. ). What suspension are you “running”? (Using, have fitted). I’ve even seen “What panniers are you running on your bike?”

I'd include all people who put the word simple (even w/o the s) at the end of their post.
    I always thought that was just their signature / sign-off ?! (o;

Often, the same people who utilise the word 'simples' also use the term 'no-brainer'.

Is it a form of self-description?
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Drivers with expensive cars that have climate control and even double glazed windows with the windows down in hot or even all weather's. It's like leaving the fridge door open.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Often, the same people who utilise the word 'simples' also use the term 'no-brainer'.

Is it a form of self-description?
    Or

‘Totes’

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Drivers with expensive cars that have climate control and even double glazed windows with the windows down in hot or even all weather's. It's like leaving the fridge door open.
    Only if the aircon is on.

People who are happy to under perform at work but act the expert on how the job should be done. I listen to these ‘experts’ who fail to even do the basic elements of the job, which makes it difficult for everyone else who may need to cover their work (eg for sickness and leave).

The same people turning up late, taking longer breaks and lunch breaks.

Where do companies find these clowns?

Vending machines in hospitals' outpatients and A&E depts selling junk foods – note, vending machines plural.

I sat in A&E for 5 hours recently where several very overweight patients repeatedly bought several lots of junk food snacks and drinks from 4 machines – all card purchases.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Vending machines in hospitals' outpatients and A&E depts selling junk foods – note, vending machines plural.

I sat in A&E for 5 hours recently where several very overweight patients repeatedly bought several lots of junk food snacks and drinks from 4 machines – all card purchases.
    If that’s their usual diet they’re hardly going to buy an apple…

Master

Grown men using shortened / 'funny' / 'cute' words to describe something, like a teenage girl would.

Or adding multiple letters in their spelling.
    Last edited by Mj2k; 7th October 2023 at 05:41.

Master
    The Bear Pit! Don't go there!
    Last edited by tixntox; 7th October 2023 at 09:13.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Grown men using shortened / 'funny' / 'cute' words to describe something, like a teenage girl would.

Jeeeez hun,why do people on t’internet think I’m a man, let alone grown.

Yessssss

That's nothing the mrs developed gestational diabetes, we attended a clinic to monitor it, fortunately I was able to control it with diet, then it went away after pregnancy... anyway on one visit we overheard the nurse asking another Mum, big lady, how she was going with moving her child onto semi solids, more or less verbatim ''I buys McDonalds, blends it up and he Loves it''...Nursey was lost for words as were we. We did the home made baby food thing, the Annabel Karmel book, make good stuff, blended up and froze in portions. Perhaps not surprisingly our kid'll eat whatever's put in front of him, he loves different flavours and textures.
    Is the McLovin' it method technically infant child abuse, I dunno...

I think it’s Totes amazeballs…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I think it’s Totes amazeballs…
    Stop it lol

Master

People working in hospital sometimes have no time at all to have a proper lunch. They have like 30 seconds in between for a very quick bite. Also an extra when they are working many many hours a day, in the night or even till the next morning.

Master
    If that’s their usual diet they’re hardly going to buy an apple…
    There is truth in this, it’s same as having a fag, if you’re having life saving surgery it’s probably not the best time to develop nicotine withdrawals.

Never the less, the sentiment is correct. A poor diet and obesity destroys a persons health, and takes so much away from the quality of life

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    People working in hospital sometimes have no time at all to have a proper lunch. They have like 30 seconds in between for a very quick bite. Also an extra when they are working many many hours a day, in the night or even till the next morning.
    That's terrible, has it always been like that in the health service in the Netherlands?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Whilst waiting in A&E also noticed the obese hospital staff including ambulance drivers . Ricci Sunak (and any future PM) should consider trying to educate people about the dangers of obesity – in addition to smoking – obesity related diseases likely cost the NHS £billions . 'Smoking' is in decline – obesity isn't – and obesity is fuelled by unregulated advertising / marketing – tempting buyers to consume highly / ultra processed fast foods. However, depriving the population of their, e.g., Big Macs and similar would not win votes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's terrible, has it always been like that in the health service in the Netherlands?
    I don’t know. My wife is a surgeon. It’s only because of her I know about how hard it is in the health sector. Our health system is top notch but they should improve the working situation of the staff. They are too good for what they get. It’s all about the money.

Master
    Whilst waiting in A&E also noticed the obese hospital staff including ambulance drivers . Ricci Sunak (and any future PM) should consider trying to educate people about the dangers of obesity – in addition to smoking – obesity related diseases likely cost the NHS £billions . 'Smoking' is in decline – obesity isn't – and obesity is fuelled by unregulated advertising / marketing – tempting buyers to consume highly / ultra processed fast foods. However, depriving the population of their, e.g., Big Macs and similar would not win votes.
    I don’t know how healthy health sector staff is in general. Staff i see looks pretty oke over here.

You are right about the dangers of obesity. Obesity people are the number 1 patients of my wife. Heart surgery. Most of her patients are obese.

I don’t know how to fight obesity. I think every one knows what food is healthy and what isn’t. People just eat what they want.

Removing the vending machine isn’t the solution. They still get their share off unhealthy shit. I like them. I rarely buy something but when i do its probably on a very long day. Its petty removing them imo.

I don’t know how healthy health sector staff is in general. Staff i see looks pretty oke over here.

You are right about the dangers of obesity. Obesity people are the number 1 patients of my wife. Heart surgery. Most of her patients are obese.

I don’t know how to fight obesity. I think every one knows what food is healthy and what isn’t. People just eat what they want.

Removing the vending machine isn’t the solution. They still get their share off unhealthy shit. I like them. I rarely buy something but when i do its probably on a very long day. Its petty removing them imo.

How to overcome obesity and dangerous diets: Govt. prioritises nutrition education including dangers of consuming ultra-processed foods containing excess sugar and excess fat. However, too many MPs are themselves overweight / obese and would not be keen on upsetting their constituencies' food manufacturers and retailers. Would be a very long haul to reduce the nation's fats and ultra-processed foods intakes and would likely take as long to implement as the still ongoing 'quit smoking' campaign. Many processed foods need 'government health warnings' ref dangers of over-consumption. However, reducing processed foods consumption is a preventative medicine measure which, long term, could save the NHS £billions – but at the expense of many food manufacturers going out of business. When I first worked in retail as a teenager in Fine Fare supermarkets, the breakfast cereals and biscuits varieties on offer were probably a tenth of what is on display today – and they were more wholesome. Nowadays ultra-processed b'fast cereals dominate supermarket aisles – as do lots of other junk foods, e.g., crisps and biscuits and 'allegedly healthy' (not), low fat spreads We do not really 'need' any "spreads" on our bread or in sandwiches; we're brought up to think that we must – so we do. Same applies to beverages sweetened with sugar and ultra-processed artificial sweeteners. Sugar is another processed additive we can do without in many foods and drinks – but we are brought up to add sugar / sweeteners to our tea and coffee – and nowadays people complain they cannot find any NHS dental surgeons to remedy their dental problems.
    Last edited by sundial; 7th October 2023 at 18:23.

Master

Profit for someone. Not hard to reconcile. But smoking outside the entrances OTOH….

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Profit for someone. Not hard to reconcile. But smoking outside the entrances OTOH….
    Yes, profit for the franchisees and a reflection on the ignorant hospital management who grant them permission to sell the junk foods. Patients and staff smoking outside the entrances is another anomaly – as is the fact that there are more franchisees selling freshly prepared junk foods from stalls on the perimeter of the local hospital car park to obese staff and patients. Furthermore, until I wrote a complaint to the hospital management, hospital staff congregated for their fag breaks in the area adjacent to the Macmillan Centre – where they littered the ground with cigarette ends – hundreds of fag ends scattered on the ground greeted patients, carers and visitors attending the adjacent Macmillan Centre.

Preventative medicine could help save the NHS £billions – and the NHS does insufficient to educate staff ref same; those staff can set a very poor example with their habits. And the UK government appears unwilling to tackle the causes of obesity related diseases.
    Last edited by sundial; 8th October 2023 at 08:24.

How to overcome obesity and dangerous diets: Govt. prioritises nutrition education including dangers of consuming ultra-processed foods containing excess sugar and excess fat. However, too many MPs are themselves overweight / obese and would not be keen on upsetting their constituencies' food manufacturers and retailers. Would be a very long haul to reduce the nation's fats and ultra-processed foods intakes and would likely take as long to implement as the still ongoing 'quit smoking' campaign. Many processed foods need 'government health warnings' ref dangers of over-consumption. However, reducing processed foods consumption is a preventative medicine measure which, long term, could save the NHS £billions – but at the expense of many food manufacturers going out of business. When I first worked in retail as a teenager in Fine Fare supermarkets, the breakfast cereals and biscuits varieties on offer were probably a tenth of what is on display today – and they were more wholesome. Nowadays ultra-processed b'fast cereals dominate supermarket aisles – as do lots of other junk foods, e.g., crisps and biscuits and 'allegedly healthy' (not), low fat spreads We do not really 'need' any "spreads" on our bread or in sandwiches; we're brought up to think that we must – so we do. Same applies to beverages sweetened with sugar and ultra-processed artificial sweeteners. Sugar is another processed additive we can do without in many foods and drinks – but we are brought up to add sugar / sweeteners to our tea and coffee – and nowadays people complain they cannot find any NHS dental surgeons to remedy their dental problems.
    Hence Wegovy now all the rage for the tubsters lacking a will of their own any common sense...not sure it's the long term solution a couple of people of our acquaintance think it is, but we'll see, time will tell. Seems like cheating to me and the side effects sound pretty grim. But it´s marketing- capitalist evil genius...one bunch of mega corps adulterate your convenience food, creating problems, illnesses, bad habits and another mega corp offers the ´convenient´ solution, at a price. genius!
    Last edited by Passenger; 8th October 2023 at 10:38.

Seems much the same in GB if you believe medic´s first hand accounts, and according to my cancer specialist BIL the US too, never enough time in the day for all the sick people so the medical staff cut corners, into time of their own, trying to do their best for their patients.

Medics or activists?
    lolz. Is a Dr, ambulance driver or nurse who chooses to speak out against underfunding, overwork, the danger to patients, thus an activist and their pov nullified...

Our nipper was born in that London, St Thomas's, 13 years ago...it´wasn´t an easy one though it could´ve been, from my being there for 3 days, slept on the floor 2 nights, my own observations, the apology post delivery from the Nurse admitting that IT had become more dramatic, traumatic than it should´ve been, the 2 days my Missus spent in ICU getting blood transfusions...its clear to me that the people who care for us have long been run ragged and there´s not really enough to go round, that´s people or resources...But heck we really shouldn´t listen to these´activists´.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    lolz. Is a Dr, ambulance driver or nurse who chooses to speak out against underfunding, overwork, the danger to patients, thus an activist and their pov nullified...

Our nipper was born in that London, St Thomas's, 13 years ago...it´wasn´t an easy one though it could´ve been, from my being there for 3 days, slept on the floor 2 nights, my own observations, the apology post delivery from the Nurse admitting that IT had become more dramatic, traumatic than it should´ve been, the 2 days my Missus spent in ICU getting blood transfusions...its clear to me that the people who care for us have long been run ragged and there´s not really enough to go round, that´s people or resources...But heck we really shouldn´t listen to these´activists´.
    Sounds terrible. Perhaps we need more medical staff and less management levels. Just a guess.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.