closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you'll never understand

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    In BMWs if you slam the breaks on hard enough the hazard lights turn on automatically. It adds to the shame after you nearly crash.
    Well I never, those lights do have a purpose on a BMW.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Things you'll never understand

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    as a shotgun licence holder myself, its not an easy thing to get
    Its more difficult than getting a driving licence or a passport.
    And so it bloody should be. Out of interest does a licence holder have to provide a valid reason for needing a shotgun licence? Beyond gamekeepers and farmers I honestly cant think of one.
    Not trying to be argumentative - genuinely intrigued

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Thought you were only supposed to use them on a motorway if youve stopped quickly?
    Hazard warning lights were originally only supposed to be used whilst the vehicle was stationary.

It still winds me up when a vehicle being towed has the hazard warning lights flashing and the driver behind hasnt a clue which whether its going left, right or straight on at a junction.

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    And so it bloody should be. Out of interest does a licence holder have to provide a valid reason for needing a shotgun licence? Beyond gamekeepers and farmers I honestly cant think of one.
    Clay pigeon shooting would be the no1 reason I think.

And so it bloody should be. Out of interest does a licence holder have to provide a valid reason for needing a shotgun licence? Beyond gamekeepers and farmers I honestly can’t think of one.

Yes. My reason is sporting - clays and the odd bit of rough shooting.

But I am not sure I follow your reasoning behind why they should be more difficult to get, given that cars kill and injury many many more people than shotguns. Perhaps we need to make driving licences more difficult to get.
    Last edited by Andyg; 14th August 2021 at 17:27.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Dysfunctional threads.

given that cars kill and injury many many more people than shotguns.
    Really?

Can you really not realise why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Really?

Probably not.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Really?

Oh I can see why a gun licence is a very good thing, however in terms of managing the risk to the general public (which is why it was introduced) shotguns certainly are not as risky as motor vehicles. Just saying.

But if your argument is that we have more drivers, hence more deaths as a result, then this only demonstrates that it should he harder to get a licence. The fewer the licences (car/pilot/shotguns/dangerous animals, etc, issued the lower the risk and hence the lower the body count.
    Last edited by Andyg; 14th August 2021 at 23:24.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Licences for pump action shotguns are very limited, assume because of their ability to discharge a lot of ordinance in a short period of time.
    I recall a colleague who had one and it was stipulated that a choke was inserted to allow only 2 rounds be held in the weapon. Tight conditions, bearing in mind that we were allowed a PPW semi automatic pistol with a 15 round mag.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

But I am not sure I follow your reasoning behind why they should be more difficult to get, given that cars kill and injury many many more people than shotguns. Perhaps we need to make driving licences more difficult to get.
    Are you trolling? The purpose of cars is to transport people from A to B, while the purpose of guns is to inflict damage.

The deaths caused by cars are an unfortunate consequence of the number of car journeys, and I question the process that grants a shotgun licence to any idiot who cannot understand the difference.
    Last edited by Halitosis; 15th August 2021 at 06:11.

Master
    People who have dangerous dogs - especially when they also have children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-58224546

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    People who have dangerous dogs - especially when they also have children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-58224546
    Any dog can be dangerous.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Any dog can be dangerous.

Which ones are more likely to cause death or life changing injuries?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-56921583

EDIT: https://bestlifeonline.com/deadliest-dog-breeds-news/
    Last edited by David_D; 15th August 2021 at 20:58.

Are you trolling? The purpose of cars is to transport people from A to B, while the purpose of guns is to inflict damage.

The deaths caused by cars are an unfortunate consequence of the number of car journeys, and I question the process that grants a shotgun licence to any idiot who cannot understand the difference.
    Nope, not trolling just answering a question. But yes cars are used for transport, just as shot guns are used to control vermin (both are tools). That said Cars are also used for recreational purposes, just as shotguns are. Both can cause death and injury in the hands of the careless, stupid, etc.

Yet for some reason you seem to think that a driving licence, which enables someone to potentially drive a 200mph 2 ton lump of metal on crowed roads, with a million other lumps of metal, cyclists, pedestrians, etc is some how less risky, and therefore requires less regulation, is somewhat surprising. The fact they were not originally intended to destroy is irrelevant, because they do.

If you pass your driving test you pretty much for life, unless convicted of a motoring offence (and banned of a period of time) or are deemed unfit to have one. In special cases, you might have to resit your test. With a gun licence you have to have to provide a reason to own, your guns have to be registered and you cannot sell them unless to another registered licence holder., you need the correct storage. You will also have to be reassessed every 5 years (60 each time)and if you fail (for whatever reason) the Police have the right to seize your gun, cancel your licence and prevent you from ever getting another.

Can you imagine these rules being applied to driving licences - reaccessed every 5 years, lifetime bans, your car being seized, unable to sell your car unless its to a registered licence holder, plus you have to have the correct storage to keep it in when not in use. Plus can you imagine showing your driving licence every time you fill it up, you do if you want cartridges (and even then, I can only buy certain types of cartridges).

Dont get me wrong, I am very happy with the conditions attached to my Shotgun licences, but would like to see similar conditions applied to driving licences, especially the need to be assessed on a regular basis (this should be based on the type of vehicle owned and permanent bans. Plus I like the idea of people having storage facilities in order to own a car also appeals.

In 2019 saw about 1750 people killed on the roads and about 30,000 seriously injured. Thats over 3 times the numbers of UK personnel killed in Afghanistan in 20 years. Puts it into perspective, especially when you consider the number of people killed with legally registered firearms. Actually in the year ending March 2019 the number of gun related fatalities in England and Wales was 33, but it didnt identify how many were the result of legally held firearms. Its all about risk management and perspective.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Why nutters are allowed to hold shotgun licences.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why nutters are allowed to hold shotgun licences.
    Or driving licences.

Nope, not trolling just answering a question.

Its all about risk management and perspective.
    Thanks for your detailed response and apologies for my previous inference of idiocy (high emotions after the Plymouth massacre).
    I accept your points on driving licences, though wonder what the comparable death rates per driving/gun licence are if only considering premeditated intent.
    I remain skeptical that existing gun licensing laws are sufficient, but dont want to further derail what is supposed to be a light-hearted thread.
    Last edited by Halitosis; 16th August 2021 at 08:37.

Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Religion
    +1
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Licences for pump action shotguns are very limited, assume because of their ability to discharge a lot of ordinance in a short period of time.
    I recall a colleague who had one and it was stipulated that a choke was inserted to allow only 2 rounds be held in the weapon. Tight conditions, bearing in mind that we were allowed a PPW semi automatic pistol with a 15 round mag.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    None of this is quite true. A pump action or semi auto can be legally held on a standard SGC, as long as it can only hold two rounds in the magazine, and one in the chamber, so three in total. A choke, in shotgun terms is a constriction at the end of the barrel to shape the cone of pellets as they leave the barrel. Any shotguns with the capacity to hold more than two rounds in the magazine need an FAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Religion
    +2 (except Jedi)

How the sticker stays on bars of Imperial Leather.

Master
    How you get the top off superglue!

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    How the sticker stays on bars of Imperial Leather.
    Right to the end as well, bloody impressive.

Master
    Friends talking about the contents of their prison wallets

Why you'd use someone's toilet and then come back downstairs raving about their toilet brush, how good it is, nothing sticks.

Had a mate over in the garden earlier and still don't get why he came downstairs and pretty much announced that he'd clearly just destroyed our toilet.

Master
    Why you'd use someone's toilet and then come back downstairs raving about their toilet brush, how good it is, nothing sticks.

Had a mate over in the garden earlier and still don't get why he came downstairs and pretty much announced that he'd clearly just destroyed our toilet.
    Its clear youve never heard Youve always got to do whats funniest

Could have been worse.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

How the grating, know all prick Stuart Maconie works in public broadcasting.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries

Eeeeuuuuwwww.......
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Very fat people riding electric bicycles.

If the bicycle wasnt so electric, maybe the rider wouldnt be so fat?
    Last edited by Bravo73; 30th August 2021 at 21:21.

Craftsman
    Very fat people riding electric bicycles.

If the bicycle wasnt so electric, maybe the rider wouldnt be so fat?

An electric bike enables exercise. Its easier but that means fat people (or more likely older folks who like cycling or have busted knees) can do it.

Should they just drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They actually make sense for overweight/under exercised as it gets them doing some exercise as you still have to pedal as opposed to never getting on a bike as its a step too far/very hard work.

Just dipping into the thread to say, yup - 49-y-o here, just bought an e-bike, and it's already got me out and about on two wheels more than I thought it would. As days go by I'll reduce the assistance, and then I'll be back to the Adonis Exemplar body of my youth.

Why people send internal emails with offline excel attachments to a group of people asking for edits. Do you really want 10 Excel attachments back which you then need to merge or copy/paste from?!

For the love of God just put it on OneDrive and share the link.

Why people send internal emails with offline excel attachments to a group of people asking for edits. Do you really want 10 Excel attachments back which you then need to merge or copy/paste from?!

ِAgreed, happens all too often.

A lot of working practices are very inefficient and people barely use the automation/efficiency tools at their disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    ِAgreed, happens all too often.

A lot of working practices are very inefficient and people barely use the automation/efficiency tools at their disposal.
    Tempted to reply all with the sheet in a link but being helpful at work rarely works out.

Blog Entries

Blame the business: It's a sign of poor training.

** edit **
    That said, I need some training. I just discovered that desktop Excel (i.e. Excel 2019 and earlier) don't support concurrent collaborative co-authoring via OneDrive or Sharepoint. You need to use O365 Excel or Excel for Web instead. Which might be an issue. But, even then, Excel desktop can still access OneDrive and Sharepoint.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 10th September 2021 at 11:50. Reason: Added edit

Raymond Weil watches

Seriously who buys them? They have got to be the most uninspiring watch brand out there.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Raymond Weil watches

Seriously who buys them? They have got to be the most uninspiring watch brand out there.
    I purchased my Raymond Weil W1 in late 90s and still looks good today in my opinion. It was my first expensive watch.

The later models (and prices) were a bit too much for me.

En passant

Cocktails. They either taste like Vimto or paint stripper. Or a mixture of both. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

I used OneDrive for an interview presentation on Tuesday and thought it was great (as an iPad app anyway). Still none the wiser how to share a PowerPoint on an iPad using OneDrive but that doesnt matter for the time being I guess.

^Click three dots icon > share > invite people > enter email address of recipient(s).

That’s the way I do it but there may be a better way.

I am in IT support and barely scratched the surface in terms of knowledge and experience. I always guide users to the browser rather the desktop client as I think it is easier to recognise shared and private files.

Sealant in those standard size tubes. Usually only needed for a small job then left in garage with cap on in desperate hope that the next time you need sealant it wont have set like a big rubber lolly pop in a plastic tube.

That feels better

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Raymond Weil watches

Agreed, they're sold everywhere but I don't know a single person who owns one

Master
    Chinese writing. I'll never understand Chinese writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Sealant in those standard size tubes. Usually only needed for a small job then left in garage with cap on in desperate hope that the next time you need sealant it wont have set like a big rubber lolly pop in a plastic tube.

That feels better
    Absolutely agree.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Why kindle books cost more than the physical paper version
    Last edited by Halitosis; 17th September 2021 at 23:16.