closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you'll never understand

Craftsman
    People who cheer, clap and whoop their favourite politicians. Why add to their ego?

People who wear shoes inside their home.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Gerald talking (Clarkson’s Farm)
    Forget about all that universe nonsense, how big, expanding or not. This right here is the big one

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    People who cheer, clap and whoop their favourite politicians. Why add to their ego?
    Or at the end of a film in the cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Or at the end of a film in the cinema.
    Can’t say I’ve ever experienced that. How strange.

Why freemasons still hide like rats in 2021

People who take babies or toddlers to otherwise quiet restaurants, or worse, long haul flights. The baby certainly isn't enjoying itself, the parents usually aren't, and they've made damn sure that no one around them isn't either.

Why, when you dangle a live electrical cable - all the electrons don't fall out the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    People who take babies or toddlers to otherwise quiet restaurants, or worse, long haul flights. The baby certainly isn't enjoying itself, the parents usually aren't, and they've made damn sure that no one around them isn't either.
    Babies cry, doesn't matter where you are. Might as well be eating something nice or going on a nice holiday. Which is probably needed due to the crying.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Do they? Round here they don’t - all the charity work and charity fundraising balls are a dead giveaway.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    Babies cry, doesn't matter where you are. Might as well be eating something nice or going on a nice holiday. Which is probably needed due to the crying.

And there's the answer, the parents are entitled to their luxuries and s#* anyone else.

And there's the answer, the parents are entitled to their luxuries and s#* anyone else.
    So parents should just stay at home?

So parents should just stay at home?

Of course not, what a ridiculous notion. But if you think a holiday has to be long haul because the baby concerned really wants to go to a beach resort in the Caribbean rather than Spain, or that the other other customers in the restaurant went there in the fervent hope there would be a child screaming at the next table throughout their meal then I guess it makes sense to you. I now understand.

Of course not, what a ridiculous notion. But if you think a holiday has to be long haul because the baby concerned really wants to go to a beach resort in the Caribbean rather than Spain, or that the other other customers in the restaurant went there in the fervent hope there would be a child screaming at the next table throughout their meal then I guess it makes sense to you. I now understand.
    Parents are still people, and people like to do the things they like.

Its not easy to parent and for some the idea of a long haul flight or a night in a restaurant is not appealing so it doesn't happen often.

But if a parent decides they need a break or some nice food then they can do that. That parent might not enjoy Spain! And whilst I'm sure they will have thought about other passengers, if they have worked hard and they want to go somewhere that makes them happy then that's their decision.

The entitlement could be shifted to the person thinking they deserve not to have the slight inconvenience of a bit of noise in these situations, rather than the parent. That person could also adjust their thinking to be empathetic to a new parent trying to enjoy themselves with a new child.

Tipping.

I'm sure I'm putting myself in the firing line here! Tipping just doesn't sit comfortably with me. Surely it's everyone's job to their best and deliver the best service possible. Why does a waiter/waitress deserve a tip for service, when the chef prepared my meal quickly and to a high standard, and the cleaner who I never see has spotlessly cleaned the restaurant - both delivering in equal measures to the overall service. Why does the supermarket checkout person, on the same wage as a waiter not deserve a tip, despite being efficient, friendly and making it very pleasant to shop there. Why does the dental nurse not deserve a tip - they often help in making a situation which many find uncomfortable, comfortable.

Yes, I occasionally get awarded a bonus. A bonus is different to a tip. My employer chooses to forego some of it's profit. My boss doesn't call our customers and say "Sean has done a really good job this year. I know you've already paid the contractual amount owed, but do you fancy paying a little more?"

There are a lot of people on low wages working extremely hard. Why do some "culturally" deserve a tip when others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Tipping.

I'm sure I'm putting myself in the firing line here! Tipping just doesn't sit comfortably with me. Surely it's everyone's job to their best and deliver the best service possible. Why does a waiter/waitress deserve a tip for service, when the chef prepared my meal quickly and to a high standard, and the cleaner who I never see has spotlessly cleaned the restaurant - both delivering in equal measures to the overall service. Why does the supermarket checkout person, on the same wage as a waiter not deserve a tip, despite being efficient, friendly and making it very pleasant to shop there. Why does the dental nurse not deserve a tip - they often help in making a situation which many find uncomfortable, comfortable.

Yes, I occasionally get awarded a bonus. A bonus is different to a tip. My employer chooses to forego some of it's profit. My boss doesn't call our customers and say "Sean has done a really good job this year. I know you've already paid the contractual amount owed, but do you fancy paying a little more?"

There are a lot of people on low wages working extremely hard. Why do some "culturally" deserve a tip when others don't.
    I completely agree with this. I also think it helps to suppress the wages in some industries. Put the onus back on the employer

Parents are still people, and people like to do the things they like.

Its not easy to parent and for some the idea of a long haul flight or a night in a restaurant is not appealing so it doesn't happen often.

But if a parent decides they need a break or some nice food then they can do that. That parent might not enjoy Spain! And whilst I'm sure they will have thought about other passengers, if they have worked hard and they want to go somewhere that makes them happy then that's their decision.

The entitlement could be shifted to the person thinking they deserve not to have the slight inconvenience of a bit of noise in these situations, rather than the parent. That person could also adjust their thinking to be empathetic to a new parent trying to enjoy themselves with a new child.

Okay, so you firmly believe it's okay to subject others to a screaming child sometimes for hours, a sound that has been scientifically proven to be unignorable (not sure if that is a real word, but it suffices), not "a bit of noise" as mentioned in your last paragraph. And it often seems to me there is little thought or care for the child itself who is clearly in distress. But as long as the parents enjoy their holiday that's clearly all that matters, after all, they deserve it, dont they?
    I will always find it both perplexing and annoying as is my right. You are fine with it and seemingly will remain so, and that is your right of course.

I completely agree with this. I also think it helps to suppress the wages in some industries. Put the onus back on the employer

We agree! :)
    Yes, it is an awkward one, it should be on the employer as you say yet we have this culture almost thrust upon us. I am for some reason more likely to tip in a private establishment than a chain restaurant, which effectively puzzles myself as it makes no sense really, the staff may be on even lower wages in the chain restaurant. But I do try, usually successfully to bypass this odd prejudice of mine.
    Quality of service and politeness and friendliness of the staff are of course prerequisites of a tip in either type of eatery.

Okay, so you firmly believe it's okay to subject others to a screaming child sometimes for hours, a sound that has been scientifically proven to be unignorable (not sure if that is a real word, but it suffices), not "a bit of noise" as mentioned in your last paragraph. And it often seems to me there is little thought or care for the child itself who is clearly in distress. But as long as the parents enjoy their holiday that's clearly all that matters, after all, they deserve it, dont they?
    I will always find it both perplexing and annoying as is my right. You are fine with it and seemingly will remain so, and that is your right of course.
    But the point is, you have made the assumption that the child is in distress. Babies cry, usually for 3 reasons - change, hunger or attention. Not because of a restaurant or because of the extra couple of hours on a plane. Babies cry, you can't expect parents to keep them locked up until they stop crying.

It's not about entitled parents not caring about their child.

But the point is, you have made the assumption that the child is in distress. Babies cry, usually for 3 reasons - change, hunger or attention. Not because of a restaurant or because of the extra couple of hours on a plane. Babies cry, you can't expect parents to keep them locked up until they stop crying.

It's not about entitled parents not caring about their child.

You think it's not a problem, and you've put forward reasoned arguments for that which I am gratefull for. However, I dont agree with them and for me it is a problem that seemed pre pandemic to be getting worse. So I think we'll have to agree to disagree or spend all day on this getting nowhere as we are clearly at opposite ends of the debate.

- People who go out to a restaurant and then spend all evening texting other people who aren't there.

- Adults who think it's in any way acceptable to switch football team allegiance

- How astrophysicists get away with a theory which only works if there's some mystery matter which nobody can identify

- Why footballers who have hugged a player with Covid don't have to self-isolate but players on the other team do

You think it's not a problem, and you've put forward reasoned arguments for that which I am gratefull for. However, I dont agree with them and for me it is a problem that seemed pre pandemic to be getting worse. So I think we'll have to agree to disagree or spend all day on this getting nowhere as we are clearly at opposite ends of the debate.
    I think as long as the parents are doing their best to calm the child then that's acceptable. Planes are public transport after all - there is always the option to hire a private jet. In any case noise-canceling headphones are a godsend.

In my experience it is usually adults getting tanked up on a long haul flight that are the worst offenders.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Supermarkets allocating staff to help at 'self service checkouts' meanwhile the checkouts are unmanned ..

Turkish Delight - no its not..

Humans feeding sharks on 'Shark experience trips' 2 miles offshore at Cape Town then wondering /complaining that Sharks are now coming closer to shore and bothering humans...

I don't get how a collection of wiring and some chemicals can store memories, cause me to laugh at a joke with the word "demerara" in it, and cry when I hear various pieces of music.

"The most bewildering landscape in my universe, is between my ears."
    -Me, today

People who get into pointless arguements on the internet.

Master
    The universe and it's infinite scale and expanse.

Even looking at scaled illustrations of the planets and stars. I'm lost at Betelgeuse.

The sheer incomprehensible scale actually makes me feel anxious if I dwell on it too long.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post

Even looking at scaled illustrations of the planets and stars. I'm lost at Betelgeuse.

The sheer incomprehensible scale actually makes me feel anxious if I dwell on it too long.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
    Literally mind blowing, a universe headache is definitely possible if dwelt upon too long.

Why lots of developed countries don’t have bidets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Absolutely this, it makes me nauseous just thinking about it for any length of time.

Football
    Caseback stickers on watches that have never seen a NATO
    Dress watches
    Why people persistently watch the news just so they become engraged about it to the point that the overwhelming negativity of Brexit/covid/tories impacts their mental health. Switch it off FFS.
    Inspirational quotes/memes and those who share them.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I can see a SC listing …..

FT Coffee Revels

Okay guys what have you got - would be keen on the toffee ones or the orange ones, but try me :-)
    We monitor the exchange rates at home carefully. At the moment two coffees and a raisin or orange will get you two malteser or solid chocolate ones from me (or one of each) whilst five toffees will get you the same from our eldest. It can get quite complicated.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    I love those flights in far flung destinations where is is commonplace to do this on landing. I always join in enthusiastically and yell, "Thank-you pilots for doing your jobs and not killing us". Strange how my luggage is always last on the carousel.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Peoples obsession with cars.
    They are ridiculously priced for what is a depreciating asset that mostly you sit going nowhere fast in.
    People spend a significant chunk of their income just to lease/part own while still renting or living with their folks.
    They can do over 100mph when the speed limit is far lower.
    People drive just down the road when they could easily walk/cycle. (Except often infrastructure is designed round the car as primary transport when it shouldn’t be in a lot of locations)
    And then there’s the status thing, “what do you drive?” Who gives a toss!?
    In urban areas, I see your point. In my part of Norfolk, and I suspect most rural areas, a reliable car is the only way the vast majority can get to work, as there is no public transport across large swathes. You also need a reliable car as the phone network can be patchy and you don’t want to break down in the middle of nowhere. Perversely you also want a nippy car as the driving is actual driving, not sitting in queues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by the.admiral View Post
    Cyclists who refuse to use the newly expensively constructed cycle paths that the council would have you believe were newly and expensively constructed to improve cyclists experience.
    I never use them. They tend to be strewn with bits of broken glass, sharp stones and working-class people walking their dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    People who get into pointless arguements on the internet.
    That's a stupid thing to say.

- - - Updated - - -

Men with no interest in cars

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    That's a stupid thing to say.
    No it's not ;) ;) ;)

Not sure if I should share this....

Truely shows what an inconsequential drop in the universal ocean we are.

I recommend a big screen and a dark room to really enjoy this one https://youtu.be/uD4izuDMUQA

Any of the TV programmes my wife watches.

She obviously says the same about me to be fair.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Agricultural economics, how a guys (e.g. Harry's Farm, Clarksons Farm on youtube) can have 400/1000 acres of land but still only make around 10,000 a year profit off it - in Clarksons case a few hundred but did have one off startup costs.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Probably because they are busy raising money for charities.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

People with semi detached houses who turn them into terraced houses with side extensions. Why would you do it and why did the neighbour agree to it either?!
    I’ve just built a side extension on my semi…it’s not a terrace, it’s double fronted!

We’ve taken ours on planes, don’t worry though we stick to business so you can have peace and quite down the tail end 🤣

Master
    Good thread!

- To add to the universe thing, I'd add multi-dimensional sub-atomic space. Quite alot of theoretical physics, actually.
    - People who wear a mask walking along the pavement on their own, or alone in a car.
    - Extreme/ high fashion.
    - Fashion generally. Hugely wasteful.
    - Celebrity nowadays. How can someone be a 'star' for appearing as themselves on a reality show, demonstrating no talent or quality, in fact usually the opposite.
    - Why they don't bring back The Old Grey Whistle Test.
    - Duckworth-Lewis
    - Offside in rugby

Master
    Isn't Later With Jools Holland the new OGWT?

That quick-set day pusher on Orient watches.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    We’ve taken ours on planes, don’t worry though we stick to business so you can have peace and quite down the tail end 🤣
    So you were the ones! Knew it was a mistake to save a few quid and not go first class like usual :)

Master
    Have to comment on this one.
    I took my daughter on her first flight (it was long haul) at 8 months old and I think my boy was about 12 months old, when he went on his first flight, again long haul.
    My wife is Thai and her family were desperate to see the first grandchildren in the family.
    What would you have done in that situation?
    As it happened, we had a bulkhead seat each time and the kids slept most of the flight.
    I also break the flight up via the Middle East just in case they are noisy and at least that way there will likely be different people sitting near us on the second leg.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Have to comment on this one.
    I took my daughter on her first flight (it was long haul) at 8 months old and I think my boy was about 12 months old, when he went on his first flight, again long haul.
    My wife is Thai and her family were desperate to see the first grandchildren in the family.
    What would you have done in that situation?
    As it happened, we had a bulkhead seat each time and the kids slept most of the flight.
    I also break the flight up via the Middle East just in case they are noisy and at least that way there will likely be different people sitting near us on the second leg.
    If you made a good effort to keep them comfortable, and I have no reason to assume otherwise, then great and good on you. But sadly many dont as we all know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Tipping.

"Mr. Pink : I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds"

I agree with Mr Pink. If someone in 'Service' does an exceptional (imo) job then I'm happy to tip. I think service in this country is generally rubbish, they ask you if everything is ok then run off quick in case you have got something to complain about.

Master
    Probably been said but women, never understood them. .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    That cellophane that some countries nationals wrap around their suitcases
    WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    It helps to stop the contents of their luggage being pilfered by light-fingered baggage handlers.
    Not use this service myself, but my last 2 trips to Australia via Hong Kong has left my suitcase with a crack, 2 dents and the usual scruff marks.
    Also, I have seen bags/suitcases with their contents on the carousel, don't know if that was due to bad handling, broken zips/locks or being overfilled/loaded.