closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 2017

Thread: Things you'll never understand

  1. #1901
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    24,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    i) They get more of it out of a barrel of oil than petrol maybe?
    ii) The demand is higher?
    iii) It's a filthy polluting fuel.
    iv) To discourage people from spilling it all over the petrol nozzles and the forecourt.

    True, except Diesel is a by-product of making petrol. You cannot make petrol without making diesel.
    Given that Diesel is used by Lorries, tractors, trains, surely it help reduces the cost of transporting goods and services, thus would reduce inflation pressures on other stuff if it was cheaper.
    Whilst a disgusting fuel, it still less polluting that petrol. Which makes petrol more disgusting.

    Never encountered the nozzle problem, but still not a reason why it is more expensive.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  2. #1902
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,779
    Talking of fuel, why do all UK forecourt pumps have the trigger catch/hold disabled?
    I've never encountered such a nanny-state measure in any other country.
    I've got some arthritis in my thumb joints so I use a large paperclip through the hole where the trigger catch should sit and let the auto-cut-off work as it should.

  3. #1903
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It depends.

    What it depends on largely is the quality of weight calibration of the tills and the procedures of the shop.

    For example...

    In my local Co-op I bag at the same time as scanning. This seems to be most efficient.

    In my local Iceland (yes, shock, I shop in Iceland) I bag only after finishing scanning. The reason is that the weighing mechanism does not seem to be well calibrated and adding my own bags to the process seems to cause it repeated confusion and seriously slows down the process.

    So someone who seems like a "d!psh!t" may just be experienced and has worked out the most efficient way of working.

    Within this, it can also depend on one's profile of purchases. Some types of item seem to cause more problems than others, as do reduced items (depending on shop procedures).
    I was thinking the exact same thing! Most of the self service tills I use get very confused if I put my bag on the till first and proceed to load it. Much quicker to bag at the end!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #1904
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,176
    The strange attraction of anything labelled as containing 'chives' to ladies of a certain maturity.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  5. #1905
    Master Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere (UK)
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The strange attraction of anything labelled as containing 'chives' to ladies of a certain maturity.
    On a similar theme:
    Cheese with fruit/chili/chives/etc in it.

    Cheese should be cheese.
    If I want fruit/nuts/herbs/spices/extra stuff with my cheese I can add it on the side, I don't want it 'in' the F'ing cheese!

    This is compounded by my families obsession with buying cheese for us whenever they visit - which ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS has apricots in it - which I absolutely hate anyway. It is like they think they are getting something 'extra' for the same price - so why not... ?
    BECAUSE IT TASTES AWFUL.

  6. #1906
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,351
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by cad monkey View Post
    Schools that suspend pupils who have been caught playing truant.
    Just a guess here, but does truancy count against the school's attendance figures, while suspended pupils do not?

  7. #1907
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    sunny norn iron
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Just a guess here, but does truancy count against the school's attendance figures, while suspended pupils do not?
    Hmm, utterly cynical and yet depressingly plausible.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #1908
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,157
    How Paul Thorpe gets taken seriously.

  9. #1909
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,615
    How people own MacBooks for so long with so few battery cycles.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #1910
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,779
    Transgender chickens

  11. #1911
    When ordering something online, my order is invariably short of free delivery order amount and I always struggle to find anything else I really need. I refrain from asking the wife.

  12. #1912
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    When ordering something online, my order is invariably short of free delivery order amount and I always struggle to find anything else I really need. I refrain from asking the wife.
    Thatís an idea for retailers - variable free delivery thresholds, always few pounds above initial basket value.

  13. #1913
    Why, when you order something at a cafe they bring the drink out before you have eaten.
    Why do some folk partake in tea/coffee before they eat, surely a beverage is to be taken after the meal to `wash it down`?

  14. #1914
    Grand Master Passenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    18,369
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Why, when you order something at a cafe they bring the drink out before you have eaten.
    Why do some folk partake in tea/coffee before they eat, surely a beverage is to be taken after the meal to `wash it down`?
    It's ready first, plus you might wanna order a second with and maybe even third after the meal...maybe.

  15. #1915
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,451
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Why, when you order something at a cafe they bring the drink out before you have eaten.
    Why do some folk partake in tea/coffee before they eat, surely a beverage is to be taken after the meal to `wash it down`?
    Afternoon tea is taken along with the cakes and scones etc. For the main meal the tea/coffee is taken about 10 minutes /15 minutes after the meal is finished. These are the unwritten rules in restaurants but in the privacy of your own home, just do what you want.

    I drain a teapot at breakfast.

  16. #1916
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,593
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Afternoon tea is taken along with the cakes and scones etc. For the main meal the tea/coffee is taken about 10 minutes /15 minutes after the meal is finished. These are the unwritten rules in restaurants
    <chortle> It would seem that there are restaurants and there are restaurants.

  17. #1917
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,176
    Tesco's.

    "May I have a breakfast and a white coffee please?"

    "We Don't do breakfasts anymore, we're a Costa Express coffee shop. We do a bacon and sausage bap in the fridge over there, we can microwave it for you."

    Progress.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  18. #1918
    Master thegoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,919
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Tesco's.

    "May I have a breakfast and a white coffee please?"

    "We Don't do breakfasts anymore, we're a Costa Express coffee shop. We do a bacon and sausage bap in the fridge over there, we can microwave it for you."

    Progress.
    A microwaved sausage and bacon bap is a huge step up on a Tescos breakfast.
    Not tasty, not nutritious and hardly edible , but still better.

  19. #1919
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    15,167
    Why anybody would go to Tesco for breakfast.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  20. #1920
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Why anybody would go to Tesco for breakfast.
    Club card points?

    Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

  21. #1921
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,882
    Why spiders (the daddy longlegs type) always seem to gravitate to the same place above my shower. The same corner every time without fail. Its not the same spider as the sizes are different from the ones I put outside.

    What about that one corner is so appealing to spiders?

  22. #1922
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Why anybody would go to Tesco for breakfast.
    Free EV charging!

  23. #1923
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    15,167
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Free EV charging!
    Just about worthwhile if your Tesco has 22kW chargers and they haven't already been nabbed. At 7kW the saving is less than two quid an hour compared to home charging and you'd have to endure (and pay for) a mediocre breakfast in a supermarket to boot.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  24. #1924
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South West, UK
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    A microwaved sausage and bacon bap is a huge step up on a Tescos breakfast.
    Not tasty, not nutritious and hardly edible , but still better.
    Not sure. The same crap ingredients are still better freshly cooked than microwaved. Costs in its entirety really is dire.

  25. #1925
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Why anybody would go to Tesco for breakfast.
    Because their partner wanted to go there perhaps? Make a change from M and S and Waitrose eh?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  26. #1926
    Master Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    9,676
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Why spiders (the daddy longlegs type) always seem to gravitate to the same place above my shower. The same corner every time without fail. Its not the same spider as the sizes are different from the ones I put outside.

    What about that one corner is so appealing to spiders?
    A smear of Vaseline will stop them.
    I had one that liked my outside security camera (think it was an exhibitionist) anyway, put some Vaseline on the camera and never saw it again😁

  27. #1927
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    26,476
    Lol
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  28. #1928
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    A smear of Vaseline will stop them.
    I had one that liked my outside security camera (think it was an exhibitionist) anyway, put some Vaseline on the camera and never saw it again
    Or the skinny f*cker was lost in the blur.

  29. #1929
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Isle of Ynys Mon, Wales
    Posts
    2,393
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    A smear of Vaseline will stop them.
    I had one that liked my outside security camera (think it was an exhibitionist) anyway, put some Vaseline on the camera and never saw it again
    Maybe it thinks itís lube and decided discretion is the better partÖ.

  30. #1930
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,293
    People carrying wheeled shopping baskets - mainly in Lidl and Waitrose.

  31. #1931
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,169
    People choosing to stand still as soon as they get on an airport travellator. I can understand standing on an escalator because its doing a lot of work for you but choosing to stand still on a very slow travellator seems utterly pointless...if you are that tired...keep walking, get to your gate sooner and sit on a chair.

  32. #1932
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    People choosing to stand still as soon as they get on an airport travellator. I can understand standing on an escalator because its doing a lot of work for you but choosing to stand still on a very slow travellator seems utterly pointless...if you are that tired...keep walking, get to your gate sooner and sit on a chair.

  33. #1933
    Master Harry Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    3,779
    Reborn babies?

  34. #1934
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,882
    Why Glastonbury Festival this year is pushing a Vegan and Climate Change agenda, all whilst being hosted on a working dairy farm.

  35. #1935
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Why Glastonbury Festival this year is pushing a Vegan and Climate Change agenda, all whilst being hosted on a working dairy farm.
    Ha ! Brilliant!

  36. #1936
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,280
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Why Glastonbury Festival this year is pushing a Vegan and Climate Change agenda, all whilst being hosted on a working dairy farm.
    And I wonder how many thousands of plastic and nylon tents that have been bought and used once will be left there this year?

  37. #1937
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    And I wonder how many thousands of plastic and nylon tents that have been bought and used once will be left there this year?
    Glastonbury's Green Pledge, illustrated by a revolutionary fist, is:

    1. Use the toilets
    2. Use the bins

    Radical!

  38. #1938
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,280
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Glastonbury's Green Pledge, illustrated by a revolutionary fist, is:

    1. Use the toilets
    2. Use the bins

    Radical!
    Blimey, I wouldn't have thought of either of those things lol

  39. #1939
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,020
    People who's headlights are tinted slightly blue, but only out of the corner of your eye, so you think the police are behind you the whole time.

    Perhaps it's the same person who then makes a huge effort to overtake you on the motorway, just so they can pull in in front of you and drive slower than you, so you have to overtake them. And the whole time you've had the cruise control on, you're not changing speed. What is their game plan?

  40. #1940
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    People who's headlights are tinted slightly blue, but only out of the corner of your eye, so you think the police are behind you the whole time.

    Perhaps it's the same person who then makes a huge effort to overtake you on the motorway, just so they can pull in in front of you and drive slower than you, so you have to overtake them. And the whole time you've had the cruise control on, you're not changing speed. What is their game plan?
    These people stopped me using cruise. Then found out I can maintain speed with my foot too lol.

  41. #1941
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Leeds England
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Glastonbury's Green Pledge, illustrated by a revolutionary fist, is:

    1. Use the toilets
    2. Use the bins

    Radical!
    Shit in the bins to save on chemical cleaners.

  42. #1942
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,157
    Why when Iím staring out of the waiting for the postman I think going upstairs and looking out of a different window will somehow make him appear.

  43. #1943
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    38,440
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Why when Iím staring out of the waiting for the postman I think going upstairs and looking out of a different window will somehow make him appear.
    That's just silly. Walk around your house widdershins 3 times and that will do it.

  44. #1944
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    14,157
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's just silly. Walk around your house widdershins 3 times and that will do it.
    Did the next best thing. Popped to Boots to pick up a prescription-worked instantly.

  45. #1945
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    38,440
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Did the next best thing. Popped to Boots to pick up a prescription-worked instantly.

    Hahaha!

  46. #1946
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,615
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Why when Iím staring out of the waiting for the postman I think going upstairs and looking out of a different window will somehow make him appear.
    So glad this is not just me!

  47. #1947
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    norf lincs
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Why people put an item for sale on ebay at say £105 buy it now or best offer, you offer £100 and its instantly rejected. What's the point of the best offer?
    happens to me all the time!, it keeps the sellers statistics looking good

  48. #1948
    Master Ruggertech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    4,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
    happens to me all the time!, it keeps the sellers statistics looking good
    A right pain indeed. Why does it keep their statistics looking good may I ask?

  49. #1949
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Far East (of England)
    Posts
    2,738
    The price of "classic" cars. A local chap told me that he had paid £5000 plus for a battered Austin A30. I sold my last A30 for £35 and was very happy to see the back of it! Most "classic" cars would be useless for the majority of "modern" drivers, used to cars with power steering, servo assisted disc brakes and synchromesh gearboxes. Don't get me started on roadholding and reliability! How many "modern" motorists know about "tinkering" with points and carbs?

  50. #1950
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,176
    Why people make a TV series set in the dark. Just watched 45 minutes of The Terminal List and couldnít see a thing. What a load of rubbish.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information