closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,050 of 2840

Thread: Things you'll never understand

Would certainly come in handy for taking an old wardrobe to the tip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    In my mind's eye I see a surf board...
    Nah! There will be no where to hang a key safe on the Ferrari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it that whenever something either falls out of a pocket or I drop my mobile/wallet/keys/coins in the car said item always falls between the seat and the transmission tunnel dropping down to the seat rails and is a complete b'stard to recover? Why can't things just drop into the flippin' footwells? And why does it always happen when it's dark?

Grrrr...
    Last edited by CardShark; 3rd August 2022 at 00:14.

Blog Entries
    People who enter the elevator before letting me / others out….

WTF ?

z

I think I’ve said this before on this thread, but it happened again the other day, I queued for about 40 minutes at a ‘food festival’ locally for a posh burger stand, big boards all over the place for the menu, the gaggle of about 6 people in front of me, waited until they were next up before umming and ahhing about what they would order, boiled my piss. Why do people do that ?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think I’ve said this before on this thread, but it happened again the other day, I queued for about 40 minutes at a ‘food festival’ locally for a posh burger stand, big boards all over the place for the menu, the gaggle of about 6 people in front of me, waited until they were next up before umming and ahhing about what they would order, boiled my piss. Why do people do that ?
    The delectation of choice is as good as the burger, and delayed delectation is better still. ;-)

Err... maybe.

Master
    I think you could have just stopped at posh food festival

And why when they've got the food do they never have their money ready to pay?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    And why when they've got the food do they never have their money ready to pay?
    Wot u mean dem womens who take forever to pack their shopping before opening their big handbag to search for a large purse with many compartments and all encompassing the unleashing of a multitude of zips before proceding to pay and then do everything in reverse order before stopping to have a……chat

... and then deciding that now would be the perfect time to sort through and arrange their large collection of till receipts.

People who stop at temporary lights when they're amber.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Wot u mean dem womens who take forever to pack their shopping before opening their big handbag to search for a large purse with many compartments and all encompassing the unleashing of a multitude of zips before proceding to pay and then do everything in reverse order before stopping to have a……chat
    Gosh - you've had the same experience...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Why Sean Bean is always a version of Richard Sharpe in any role he plays.

Master
    People who list on eBay saying “No Reserve!” and then set the minimum opening bid at £10,000 thereby setting a reserve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    People who list on eBay saying “No Reserve!” and then set the minimum opening bid at £10,000 thereby setting a reserve.
    Hmm...

It seems to me that when people say "no reserve" on eBay they really mean "no hidden reserve". I.e. No extra step needed for the sale to complete; any bid can potentially win.

I've noticed that in most cases (at least where I am interested) hidden reserves kill bidding. People hate not knowing how much they have to bid to be potentially able to win. It's often better for the seller (but scarier) to list with with a low starting price and no hidden reserve.

Master
    Reserve and starting bid are two completely different concepts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Reserve and starting bid are two completely different concepts.
    Same effect. I can’t bid less than £10,000 so, call it what you like, but that’s effectively the reserve price.

Blog Entries
    Same effect. I can’t bid less than £10,000 so, call it what you like, but that’s effectively the reserve price.
    To an extent it seems to me that it's an issue of semantics.

In general in an auction, the "reserve" is the minimum price at which an item will be allowed to sell. Usually it is possible to bid below the reserve, with the auctioneer aiming to get enough bids to raise the current price above the reserve. The actual reserve may or may not be revealed in advance or during the auction.

Coming to eBay specifically, it has "starting price" and an optional "hidden reserve" (with the "hidden reserve" often just referred to as the "reserve"). Similarly to other auctions, bidders can bid any value at all, from the staring price upwards. If the seller has set a hidden reserve then the item will only sell if someone bids above the hidden reserve.

So when sellers on eBay say "no reserve" they mean "no hidden reserve". I.e. You don't have to bid above some hidden level to guarantee that the item will sell; any bid at all could potentially win the item.

This is a good thing because, as I noted, when sellers use the reserve ("hidden reserve") feature on eBay then in my experience it often kills bidding stone dead.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 30th August 2022 at 22:11.

I really don’t understand this. They really are different.
    In your example you are obviously talking about something that could sell for significantly (?) more than £10k. It is perfectly possible to have a minimum opening bid at £10k and a reserve at, say, £13k.
    I may be wrong but setting a high (in absolute terms) opening bid is more expensive for the seller. It just discourages the chancers who are not prepared to pay this at least. Saves time for both buyers and sellers.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Just ordered a takeaway using Deliveroo. One of the payment options was Klarna. What on earth?!

How big was your order 😀

£28.95!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just ordered a takeaway using Deliveroo. One of the payment options was Klarna. What on earth?!
    I've just read this article...

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/12/deliv...ents-17548010/

I've got a rule of never eating takeaway food at all...I just don't see it as good value at all. Whilst I appreciate that everyone should be able to have a takeaway now and again, I don't have much sympathy for someone resorting to Klarna to pay for it. If money is that tight, you just shouldn't buy a takeaway as they are far too expensive.

Master
    I just had a couple of guys at my door demanding I pay for the takeaway food delivered here even though I hadn’t ordered or paid for it. I don’t buy takeaways. They wouldn’t accept my word that nothing had been delivered here and weren’t about to leave. I told them to phone the police if they’d been the victims of a deception. I asked them to confirm the delivery address - 5/3 ****** ********
    “Wrong address, boys. This is 7/3.” That was bloody stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I've just read this article...

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/12/deliv...ents-17548010/

I've got a rule of never eating takeaway food at all...I just don't see it as good value at all. Whilst I appreciate that everyone should be able to have a takeaway now and again, I don't have much sympathy for someone resorting to Klarna to pay for it. If money is that tight, you just shouldn't buy a takeaway as they are far too expensive.
    I'd agree with you on that. The vast majority of takeaways we've ever gotten haven't been great and the one tonight was awful.

The comments from social media on the Metro article sum up most of my thoughts. Just nuts.

Conspiracy theorists. They appear to commit so heavily to an idea that they seek corroboration and their minds refuse to allow the notion that they could possibly be wrong.
    Absolute wahoos.

The absolute moron behind me in Costco doing bicep curls with his rolled up carpet while hes waiting in the line to return it

The absolute moron behind me in Costco doing bicep curls with his rolled up carpet while hes waiting in the line to return it
    Oh man, well done for not laughing at him, TIT, or did you? Did He look like he´d showered in gravy by any chance?

What a knobber haha

Master
    I find the majority of Costco shoppers a very strange mix of society in general. Perhaps they feel the same about me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I find the majority of Costco shoppers a very strange mix of society in general. Perhaps they feel the same about me!
    I have never been in Costco so I cannot really comment but I was under the impression that in order to shop there you have to come from the better levels of society. Therefore good quality and "normal" customers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have never been in Costco so I cannot really comment but I was under the impression that in order to shop there you have to come from the better levels of society. Therefore good quality and "normal" customers.
    Hehe, I thought it was the chavs' Fortnum & Mason...

Thought it was largely for the self-employed so plenty of dodgy tradespeople and spivs.

Master
    Current or Retired Employee of:
    Banking / Finance
    Local Government
    Fire / Rescue Service
    Post Office
    Airlines
    Education
    Police Force
    Civil Service / Armed Forces
    Medical / Health Service
    Insurance

OR

Qualified as:
    Qualified / Certified / Chartered Accountant
    Chartered Architect
    Doctors (MD) / Dentist / Optician / Pharmacist
    Chartered Surveyor
    Solicitor / Barrister / Magistrate / Advocate
    Chartered Engineer / Civil etc

OR have your own company.

The middle set seem rather missing in my visits. Last time was like a family day out & feed the family on the free samples there.

Detest the place, but they have a good source of pork shoulder and ribs. So I put up with it.

The middle set seem rather missing in my visits. Last time was like a family day out & feed the family on the free samples there.

Detest the place, but they have a good source of pork shoulder and ribs. So I put up with it.
    During the week - plenty of small city shopkeepers stocking up, but most appear to be the parents of tradesmen, using the additional card.

Ribs have become expensive, and their Lasagne has jumped from under £10 - to around £15.

But - great for croissants, burgers, coffee beans ........ and best of all - for Rib of Beef for Christmas dinner.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Banking / Finance
    Local Government
    Fire / Rescue Service
    Post Office
    Airlines
    Education
    Police Force
    Civil Service / Armed Forces
    Medical / Health Service
    Insurance

OR

Qualified as:
    Qualified / Certified / Chartered Accountant
    Chartered Architect
    Doctors (MD) / Dentist / Optician / Pharmacist
    Chartered Surveyor
    Solicitor / Barrister / Magistrate / Advocate
    Chartered Engineer / Civil etc

If you work for a local company, chances are they’ll let you join - that’s how I got in (quickest thing to prove)

Do love their 32 degrees branded tracksuit bottoms. Been looking for some new pairs for ages but no luck yet.

They no longer do the glazed cinnamon Danish swirls though. Such a shame, best item in the store.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    During the week - plenty of small city shopkeepers stocking up, but most appear to be the parents of tradesmen, using the additional card.

Ribs have become expensive, and their Lasagne has jumped from under £10 - to around £15.

But - great for croissants, burgers, coffee beans ........ and best of all - for Rib of Beef for Christmas dinner.
    That’s what amazed me last time. 11am mid week (I cannot stand the place at a weekend), and the place was full of old people like some Saga bus had pulled up and dropped them off to feed like locusts on free food! Must be the parents of the store owners!

Their ribs are still good value for the meat on them. Much easier than buying huge frozen boxes from Macro etc.

Never tried their burgers, always make my own; always disappointed with any bought ones as they seem to shrink so much on the grill.

Master
    That’s what amazed me last time. 11am mid week (I cannot stand the place at a weekend), and the place was full of old people like some Saga bus had pulled up and dropped them off to feed like locusts on free food! Must be the parents of the store owners!

Their ribs are still good value for the meat on them. Much easier than buying huge frozen boxes from Macro etc.

Never tried their burgers, always make my own; always disappointed with any bought ones as they seem to shrink so much on the grill.
    I just renewed my membership today I’ve never seen It so rammed and the huge car park had about 10 spaces left me and the mrs seemed to be the only couple who weren’t buying 600 bog rolls, but I saved £30 on a kettle I had been after for a while and she saved £15 on a case of wine so that payed for our yearly membership

Must be a special offer on cheese

Master
    Christ on a bike!

Probably hard go compete with decent home-made burgers, but..................

Wagyu burgers are great, just need pressing a bit flatter.
    Thick pork chops - ace when done SV and seared after
    Braising Steak (I got some big, thick pieces in Southampton Costco) - done SV and seared. For sammiches - it was like best roast beef.
    Smoked Haddock - coloured, but very good.
    Chicken thighs - great and economical
    Chicken Jalfrezi - 3 portions for under £10. Pretty damn good.
    Lamb Leg steaks - Soooperb!!!!
    Lamb (rack of lamb) - superb and remarkable value.
    Pork fillets - 3 for under £10, I think - not only great, but a pretty cheap dinner for 3 (each fillet)
    Chedder Cheese - Big blocks of good cheese that I vac down and seal. A bargain compared to Tesco/Asda et all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Probably hard go compete with decent home-made burgers, but..................

Wagyu burgers are great, just need pressing a bit flatter.
    Thick pork chops - ace when done SV and seared after
    Braising Steak (I got some big, thick pieces in Southampton Costco) - done SV and seared. For sammiches - it was like best roast beef.
    Smoked Haddock - coloured, but very good.
    Chicken thighs - great and economical
    Chicken Jalfrezi - 3 portions for under £10. Pretty damn good.
    Lamb Leg steaks - Soooperb!!!!
    Lamb (rack of lamb) - superb and remarkable value.
    Pork fillets - 3 for under £10, I think - not only great, but a pretty cheap dinner for 3 (each fillet)
    Chedder Cheese - Big blocks of good cheese that I vac down and seal. A bargain compared to Tesco/Asda et all.
    Do buy their thighs, then skin &bone them. The wings are also good and meaty.

Is the cheddar crumbly, crunchy stuff? Or more of the rubbery cathedral city stuff? The CC style cheddar almost put me off cheese until I convinced the wife proper cheese existed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I use Twitter to follow certain people and topics. I never tweet and never reply to tweets.

Heard someone on the radio and thought I’d take a look at their Twitter feed. I am blocked by them! Can’t work that one out!

Why vacuum cleaners have variable power adjustment. Does anyone ever set it to anything less than maximum?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Why vacuum cleaners have variable power adjustment. Does anyone ever set it to anything less than maximum?
    Yes, for bits of carpet or rug that want to disappear up the vacuum at full power.

:-)

P.S. Yes, I know there's a bypass valve but sometimes the dynamic combination of dirt, rug, and suckability makes some combination of lower power and/or bypass valve ideal.

I for one always take full advantage of brexit and our more powerful vacuums, so 100% always…

To prevent keys being sucked off the keyboard.

Master
    Why my wife, who isn’t a big drinker will go drink for drink with strangers in the pool on holiday.

I’m on the balcony why she sleeps it off like a mating walrus.

Why someone who lives in a £35m house has decorated their bedroom in the style of 'Poundland does Death Cult'

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properti...f=photoCollage