closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lego

Lego

My Daughter has now turned 14 and wants her bedroom renovating, I have agreed as long as she clears some crap.

Over the years she has accumulated literally thousands of pounds of Lego, does this have any value for her to sell?

Already we have two very large boxes full!

Cheers

Master
    Can do, especially if you have full sets, boxes etc.

Master
    Absolutely, depends on time you want to invest in sorting it, or if you have boxes, instructions etc.

If you can reverse build, sort into sets (instructions are available online) then you can sell the sets on ebay (or Sales Corner)

If you can't be bothered to sort, then it seems to sell by the litre or by the kilo on ebay quite well.

Master
    Yep, full sets mainly so she/you need to build them to be sure before selling. My other half has done lots of this as her boys had lots of Lego. Check eBay for sold prices as some pieces can be worth quite a bit, others not so much but there's always a market for it, especially in the run up to Xmas.

Absolutely yes!

If the models are already made so can be shown as being complete and sold individually. Having the manuals makes a huge difference though, and original boxes too to a lesser extent.

I had a similar situation when my sons grew out of Lego, though all the bricks were mixed up in a large box. We still had the manuals (about £1,200 retail IIRC). I sorted all the bricks (from maybe 12 different models) into separate Tupperware tubs by colour and sold it in a job lot auction - went for over £300.

Thanks Gents!

Really can’t be bothered sifting through it, it’s all like new though, two 20litre boxes full?

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Absolutely yes!

If the models are already made so can be shown as being complete and sold individually. Having the manuals makes a huge difference though, and original boxes too to a lesser extent.

I had a similar situation when my sons grew out of Lego, though all the bricks were mixed up in a large box. We still had the manuals (about £1,200 retail IIRC). I sorted all the bricks (from maybe 12 different models) into separate Tupperware tubs by colour and sold it in a job lot auction - went for over £300.
    You have the patience of a saint

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Thanks Gents!

Really can’t be bothered sifting through it, it’s all like new though, two 20litre boxes full?
    Mixed Lego sells by the kg and price will depend on theme. Star Wars and the like more, regular sets like City or friends I think you’d be looking at £4-5 per kg without mini figs. The mini figs tend to be where the money is, again depending on theme. Bricklink is a great source. Do you know what themes you have and if the mini figs are there? If you have much Lego City or Star Wars I might be interested as my son is building a city and also loves building Star Wars scenes (MOCs in Lego speak).

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Mixed Lego sells by the kg and price will depend on theme. Star Wars and the like more, regular sets like City or friends I think you’d be looking at £4-5 per kg without mini figs. The mini figs tend to be where the money is, again depending on theme. Bricklink is a great source. Do you know what themes you have and if the mini figs are there? If you have much Lego City or Star Wars I might be interested as my son is building a city and also loves building Star Wars scenes (MOCs in Lego speak).
    I’ll PM you tomorrow with what is there if that’s ok?

She also has lots of the expensive stuff (Harry Potter etc) that cost a fortune but it’s all built in a display cabinet, I’m hoping she will part with that also!

I knew this day would come…….

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    I’ll PM you tomorrow with what is there if that’s ok?

She also has lots of the expensive stuff (Harry Potter etc) that cost a fortune but it’s all built in a display cabinet, I’m hoping she will part with that also!

I knew this day would come…….
    Haha, sure let me know! My son has shelves of Star Wars stuff…much of it bought from big kids here on TZ!!

Having sorted and bagged a number of smaller sets from bulk I can attest to the fact it can be a thankless task!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    The £ difference between selling the Lego as a kg job lot and selling it as sorted sets will be large.

If you do put the effort in you will be surprised at the returns. It’s fairly easy to replace any missing bits as well in order to complete a set.

Perhaps think again. Every time old toys come up in conversation I mention I still have all mine from the 70’s and 80’s and every other person in the room recounts how they stupidly sold theirs for peanuts on a whim years ago and wishes they still had them!

Thanks for all the info chaps, managed to sell it as a "job lot" on another forum so everyone is happy!

Blog Entries
    Lego is the only thing you should never sell (apart from a Comet Rolex or similar watch). Store it.

My youngest and I (he was and it a big Lego fan) talked about the 'shift' Lego is making: from toys for children to toys for grown-ups. E.g. the models of various iconic automobiles Lego presents every year. There's a big chance that a child's focus on Lego is away for a few years. But within a few years, they'll be back working with Lego.

If you decide to sell: put the figures aside and carefully check their value. Some (StarWars) Lego puppets are worth a fortune!