closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,900 of 2906

Thread: Things you'll never understand

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have to agree, I just don’t get the attraction. I would rather watch paint dry.
    Rugby’s another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Rugby’s another one.
    Crown Green Bowling?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Rugby’s another one.
    Nah! Greatest game ever invented

Master
    I probably do this one every year but people towing caravans who have decided there’s no need for extended mirrors to see what’s behind them.

(I imagine there may be some who have small concealed cameras but I’m a bit old fashioned.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I probably do this one every year but people towing caravans who have decided there’s no need for extended mirrors to see what’s behind them.

(I imagine there may be some who have small concealed cameras but I’m a bit old fashioned.)
    Or have a stupidly slow / under powered car before it has a caravan attached to it. Cannot be enjoyable, I’ve hated horse boxes with a discovery in my youth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

Probably the same people that don’t use their mirrors anyway and trundle along oblivious to the queue behind them even sans caravan.

Rugby’s another one.
    I’ve played a lot of Rugby and really enjoyed it - but watching it? No thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Football. All of it, it’s like I’m allergic to sports (watching as opposed to playing) in general, but the fascination with Football absolutely baffles me. I appear to be alone as now nearly every woman also seems entranced watching people run about kicking a ball on grass until eventually a goal happens. And then people talk about it incessantly like it means something. Eh?
    Not big on spectating full stop unless it's a genuinely outstanding performance of athleticism and skill, footie generally not so much then, also the dramatic falling about as if they'd been shot aka cheating is off putting and unmanly...I suspect with England it's either a display of patriotism or simply that any Circus will do in a storm and yes the incessant chat over so little of merit, import is remarkable...though in fairness you could probably find people prepared to say same about the politics threads in BP.

I played Football, Rugby, Hockey, Judo, Athletics.
    Last edited by Passenger; 23rd June 2024 at 08:10.

Master
    Why are you wearing the trousers of a fourteen year old when you have the waistline of the obese middle-aged man that you are? You can't even get the waistband over your arse. Put it away please.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Why are you wearing the trousers of a fourteen year old when you have the waistline of the obese middle-aged man that you are? You can't even get the waistband over your arse. Put it away please.
    They probably belonged to his 15 yo son but thought that they were too good to throw away?

Blog Entries
    Why are you spying on me?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why are you spying on me?
    For operational reasons I can't tell you that.

Blog Entries
    For operational reasons I can't tell you that.
    Run away…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why people on quiz shows etc state they are "semi-retired". No you're not, you either work fulltime, work part time, or are retired.

Master
    Football. All of it, it’s like I’m allergic to sports (watching as opposed to playing) in general, but the fascination with Football absolutely baffles me. I appear to be alone as now nearly every woman also seems entranced watching people run about kicking a ball on grass until eventually a goal happens. And then people talk about it incessantly like it means something. Eh?
    You are not alone!!! Bloody hate it, I can't stand the noise, I simply don't get the fascination at all.

It's just weird, over paid sports persons and yet other sports they train harder, from a younger age and get peanuts.

Each to their own, it's definitely not for me!! I hate it when work calls and meetings start with small talk about the bloody sport.... Where's my "yawn" emojis

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    You are not alone!!! Bloody hate it, I can't stand the noise, I simply don't get the fascination at all.

It's just weird, over paid sports persons and yet other sports they train harder, from a younger age and get peanuts.

Each to their own, it's definitely not for me!! I hate it when work calls and meetings start with small talk about the bloody sport.... Where's my "yawn" emojis

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
    Yeah I am often at a loss at the start of meetings and small talk. I often get up from my desk & make a drink saying I will be back later.

Back in the day when I was customer facing, it seemed the more northern I went the more football talk was a pre meeting requisite.

Answering “what game” usually stalls the conversation rapidly lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Yeah I am often at a loss at the start of meetings and small talk. I often get up from my desk & make a drink saying I will be back later.

Back in the day when I was customer facing, it seemed the more northern I went the more football talk was a pre meeting requisite.

Answering “what game” usually stalls the conversation rapidly lol.
    The question “what team do you support” is always met with “Harlequins” the response is usual a blank look.

If we are talking about games, Golf is an even bigger mystery, I really really do not understand the fascination. It turns perfectly reasonable people in to utter bores. I got invited to a golf day years ago, I ****ed it off after 6 holes, I cannot think of a more dire hobby to actively choose to participate in.

I don’t watch football either. What I find amazing is how people remember historical matches, the scores, the players etc.

If ever I start watching, I am bored after five minutes.

Things you'll never understand

Can’t stand the office football chat first thing in the morning where all the lads are trying to out-lad each other hand out the wheyyyy banter

Same guys also come up with stuff like bad day to be a Peroni

Master
    Jup. Now the whole country watches EU championship. Can’t get nowhere without football. Everywhere everytime football this football that.

Having watched football all my life, I do feel the life is being sucked out of it with most competitions and indeed clubs run as financial institutions. Back in the 60s, 70s and 80s etc we only got to hear about a clubs finances if they were about to go to the wall. These days there are league tables for the biggest clubs, the most income, the highest net worth etc etc.

The old European Cup was similar to the FA Cup, knockout from round one and only the league winners were in it. Now you can qualify for the Champions League by finishing 4th and you are guaranteed 6 matches - money, money, money.

We are about to enter the knockout stage of the Euros, so how many teams will aim to get to extra time and penalties as their best chance of progressing. Extra time in most competitions is boring as so few goals are scored. Personally I would scrap penalties and after 120 minutes I would move to sudden death (golden goal) and make the buggers keep playing until someone scores.

The style of play is also less exciting to watch, with tappy tappy football until someone passes it into the net. What happened to wingers sprinting down the wings, crossing the ball to land on a centre forwards head (before number 9s became false) and shots from outside the box. Who gives a flying toss about percentage stats, goals scored is the only stat that has any value.

I was an Everton season ticket holder for many years, travelled to many away games and went to three FA Cup finals on the trot etc, but now even watching live games on TV is hard work. If Man City go 1-0 up you might as well turn the TV off and go and do something else, it’s game over.

I can understand why so many people have no interest in it, I’m seriously struggling these days.

I'm another that can't stand football. The behaviour of many players and managers is deplorable. I used to love playing and watching it as a kid but when we moved from North Yorkshire to Cheltenham as a 10-year old it was all rugby. Precisely zero minutes of the current Euros watched.

Master
    I don't mind watching a football game or two but what I don't understand is the obsession of people to then endlessly scrutinise the game. They waffle on for ages about was it a free kick etc, how they would have played certain players which would have resulted in a better outcome (as they're obviously more competent than any manager) and argue the toss with other adults about who's team is better. It's like being back in the schoolyard. This goes for the workplace, pubs and especially the Internet. Just watch the game, try to enjoy it and then move on.....it really isn't life or death.

Master
    I’ve also been avoiding football my entire adult life, if they never played another game I certainly wouldn’t miss it. To me it seems like the most boring game ever invented. I realise it becomes more exciting if you pick a side to support, but I genuinely don’t care who wins and never have. I’ve no objections to pouring a beer, putting the brain in neutral and watching cars or bikes go round in circles, or tennis, badminton, snooker, skiing, the Olympics, or even sumo wrestling, so I’m not against sport, or even zoning out to boring sport. I think I just object to the boorish, yobby shouting and glorification of thickness that’s unique to football.

I think it’s been posted before but this pretty much sums it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM

Blokes that don't like football

Master
    I don’t watch many popular sports as I have no interest. But then I’d happily watch not so popular sports, say like BMX freestyle, possibly because I used to ride BMX and can appreciate how difficult it is. Whereas others look at it as someone trying to do daft stunts on a small bike.
    Maybe it’s a perspective on past experience.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Blokes that don't like football
    Blokes that obsess over football🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    I don’t watch many popular sports as I have no interest. But then I’d happily watch not so popular sports, say like BMX freestyle, possibly because I used to ride BMX and can appreciate how difficult it is. Whereas others look at it as someone trying to do daft stunts on a small bike.
    Maybe it’s a perspective on past experience.
    I think you're final point may have some merit, likely a factor...also I'd suggest ''identity'' for some, hence the success of the lucrative merchandising official shirts and what have you... maybe like tattoo's, football represents an identifier of 'blokeishness'', quite what this is I guess will vary depending, perhaps equating to being manly for some...dunno...bit sad really when the players tumble about like they've been shot, sometimes barely even touched by the other bloke, feigning injury, trying to cheat.
    Last edited by Passenger; 1st July 2024 at 10:05.

Blog Entries
    Why people take up the whole pavement and expect others to get out of their way.
    Walking the dog yesterday and a ‘middle aged’ couple walking towards me. So I move over to the left hand side of the footpath leaving just over half free. Woman who was nearest to me walks straight towards me and when within a couple of yards throws her hands in the air and dances out of the way. All she had to do was go into single file for a couple of yards and we would all pass on the footpath.
    It seems to be a regular occurrence these days that people expect to take up the whole footpath, and larger groups are even less likely to share until they realise I’m not giving up the whole footpath to them.
    While in Wells next the Sea recently we walked to the lifeboat station along the long straight path. There was some charity walk occurring with lots of people in matching t-shirts. As we approached said groups we walked in single file to allow them as much space as possible only for several of them to almost barge into us in their desperation not to move over or give way at all. Not the most charitable bunch at all.
    Am I missing something, or are we suffering an increase in the number of ignorant entitled people walking among us?

Why people take up the whole pavement and expect others to get out of their way.
    This is a pet hate of mine Ian. Like you I just carry on walking at them.
    If its a family usually the bloke will eventually notice and get them in single file. There's invariably a glare from the mother as if to say "how dare you inconvenience my beautiful children", sorry but they look more like your 'pig ugly fat obnoxious over-entitled spawn' to me love.
    I can't levitate and I'm not going to step into the road for them, so #%&@ 'em.

Things you'll never understand

Why there are 196 pages, consisting of nearly 10,000 responses to the Wordle thread, given that each response appears meaningless to anyone who reads it.

sigh standards really slipping over there huh...Good manners cost nothing, part of the glue that holds society together...every man and his dog for himself I guess you have to conclude.

''No such thing as society'' She declared. The last 50 years have made it so??

Bill Bryson in his wonderful ´´Notes from a Small Island´´ laments at one point in his narrative a very proper looking, well dressed English woman taking something and failing to put payment into the honesty jar...sorry I can´t be more specific on the details, breakfast time,....I´ll try and look up specifics in my edition on the bookshelf.

Grand Master
    Never understand the use of the phrase 'my bad' rather than 'my mistake'. English language is an excellent tool for communication, why do people insist on misusing and abusing it?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Never understand the use of the phrase 'my bad' rather than 'my mistake'. English language is an excellent tool for communication, why do people insist on misusing and abusing it?
    Creeping Americanisation of language and culture I think Paul...also a touch of infantilisation the attempt to lessen the misdeed...Adults might make, acknowledge mistakes, young children- teens might deploy ´´my bad´´ the phrase itself suggestive of only a minor misdeed...possibly? But it´s chiefly an indicator of US film- entertainment, music dominance at the global level...Mrs P´s serendipitously found herself giving English interactive presentations in Murcian High Schools, the children find her accent with a touch of American easier to comprehend than a native English accent...it´s because the Spanish children hear more Americanised English from music, film, interwebs, youtube content, whatever...

Worth mentioning also that English as a language has been so successful partly because it adapts well , stretches, changes over time. The word ´´Pomp´´ a fine example. I personally think the archaic meaning of a vain and ostentatious display is long overdue a come back when applied to certain public doings, if one is honest about the full picture when taken in the round.
    Last edited by Passenger; 8th July 2024 at 12:09.

Why people take up the whole pavement and expect others to get out of their way.....

......Am I missing something, or are we suffering an increase in the number of ignorant entitled people walking among us?
    Probably the same people who just walk through the door I have held open for them, without saying thank you or making any attempt to take hold of the opened door from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Probably the same people who just walk through the door I have held open for them, without saying thank you or making any attempt to take hold of the opened door from me.
    Standards may be slipping but the quiet satisfaction of doing the well mannered, the right thing is eternal. Might be how to look at it? Noblesse oblige?

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Standards may be slipping but the quiet satisfaction of doing the well mannered, the right thing is eternal. Might be how to look at it? Noblesse oblige?
    'Never lower yourself to the standards of others'....

'Never lower yourself to the standards of others'....
    Hear, hear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek[emoji637
    [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6][emoji[emoji6]];[emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6]]Never understand the use of the phrase 'my bad' rather than 'my mistake'. English language is an excellent tool for communication, why do people insist on misusing and abusing it?
    The one that get me is “It’s a big ask” it’s not asking a lot to use English. Soon we will be celebrating Independence Day as well.

Sent from my iPhone using ][emoji6]][emoji6][emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]]TZ-UK mobile app

I find that shouting a loud, cheery "You're Welcome" after them sometimes elicits a shamefaced response. But not always.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I find that shouting a loud, cheery "You're Welcome" after them sometimes elicits a shamefaced response. But not always.
    I do the same every time. There's no way of getting out of it either.

Walking the dog yesterday and a ‘middle aged’ couple walking towards me. So I move over to the left hand side of the footpath leaving just over half free. Woman who was nearest to me walks straight towards me and when within a couple of yards throws her hands in the air and dances out of the way. All she had to do was go into single file for a couple of yards and we would all pass on the footpath.
    It seems to be a regular occurrence these days that people expect to take up the whole footpath, and larger groups are even less likely to share until they realise I’m not giving up the whole footpath to them.
    While in Wells next the Sea recently we walked to the lifeboat station along the long straight path. There was some charity walk occurring with lots of people in matching t-shirts. As we approached said groups we walked in single file to allow them as much space as possible only for several of them to almost barge into us in their desperation not to move over or give way at all. Not the most charitable bunch at all.
    Am I missing something, or are we suffering an increase in the number of ignorant entitled people walking among us?
    Around here it seems to be mostly women who do this. They walk in 3's or 4's side by side talking away and taking up most of the path and when Lynn and I drop into single file they simply carry on walking towards up expecting us to step onto the grass sometimes!

Cyclists on the same paths are another issue, never giving warning when approaching at speed from behind us and then having to swerve onto the grass, pass stupidly close or brake. I saw one cyclist hit a dog one day and come off his bike! I point out to them when I can that if they gave warning of their approach we'd step to the side to let them pass at whatever speed they're going at, but it's wasted on them as the same cyclists do it time after time.

The brain dead of England, don't you just love them!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Around here it seems to be mostly women who do this. They walk in 3's or 4's side by side talking away and taking up most of the path and when Lynn and I drop into single file they simply carry on walking towards up expecting us to step onto the grass sometimes!

Cyclists on the same paths are another issue, never giving warning when approaching at speed from behind us and then having to swerve onto the grass, pass stupidly close or brake. I saw one cyclist hit a dog one day and come off his bike! I point out to them when I can that if they gave warning of their approach we'd step to the side to let them pass at whatever speed they're going at, but it's wasted on them as the same cyclists do it time after time.

The brain dead of England, don't you just love them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    This is a pet hate of mine Ian. Like you I just carry on walking at them.
    If its a family usually the bloke will eventually notice and get them in single file. There's invariably a glare from the mother as if to say "how dare you inconvenience my beautiful children", sorry but they look more like your 'pig ugly fat obnoxious over-entitled spawn' to me love.
    I can't levitate and I'm not going to step into the road for them, so #%&@ 'em.
    I thought it might just be me but it appears to be something of a trend. And the indignation if they have to move over even slightly can be hilarious to observe!

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Why there are 196 pages, consisting of nearly 10,000 responses to the Wordle thread, given that each response appears meaningless to anyone who reads it.
    I do Wordle, but neither look at or post in the thread.

I imagine it does wonders for their post count.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I do Wordle, but neither look at or post in the thread.

I imagine it does wonders for their post count.
    I post in the Wordle thread :/

I cannot speak for the others but I find it competitive in some trivial way. Also, it's interesting, if you're 'into it' to sometimes analyse how others have solved things, especially if it's been a tricky day.

As for post count.....means nothing to me tbh.

Is post count the new Vienna?

Master
    Why TAG wants to pretend to be only Apple Pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Meaningless indeed - this is how they look on my Android phone in Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Is post count the new Vienna?
    It means nothing to me…

Why people use mobile phones to look at web pages. Like trying to view the universe through a letterbox.