closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 650 of 900

Thread: Things you'll never understand

  1. #601
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Cyclists who dress up in lycra, to go out in groups and slow down traffic by taking up as much of the road as possible. There's obviously a points system involved for the amount of cars you hold up but I haven't worked out how they tally it up yet. I'm also guessing they ride too fast for some in the group because if you're in front of them and slow them down a bit they always wave and shout their appreciation.
    ..and the fact that they think they're being environmentally conscious and saving the planet whilst at the same time being blissfully ignorant of the massive queue of traffic that is spending longer on the road behind them.

  2. #602
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    23,957
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Ha ha ha. I'm sure theres a law against wearing shoes without socks. Probably in the 'flip flops' part of criminal law.
    Most of the time those people have socks. They just choose to have very low cut, "invisible" socks. Ideal on boat shoes (docksides type) and Vans, but apparently metrosexual hipsters will wear them with chukka boots, penny loafers, and even brogues.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  3. #603

    Things you'll never understand

    People dressed up in their country’s t-shirts and flags, who then drop litter in the very country they are so proud of.

  4. #604
    Craftsman skmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Cyclists who dress up in lycra, to go out in groups and slow down traffic by taking up as much of the road as possible. There's obviously a points system involved for the amount of cars you hold up but I haven't worked out how they tally it up yet. I'm also guessing they ride too fast for some in the group because if you're in front of them and slow them down a bit they always wave and shout their appreciation.
    Why car drivers have such a deep rooted sense of self entitlement and belief in their own importance.

  5. #605
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,163
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Why car drivers have such a deep rooted sense of self entitlement and belief in their own importance.
    Why so many people in expensive cars - look so bloody miserable.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  6. #606
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Why car drivers have such a deep rooted sense of self entitlement and belief in their own importance.
    Possibly because they’re usually using the road to get from a to b for a reason, such as getting to work, as opposed to using it for recreation!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #607
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    16,684
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Why car drivers have such a deep rooted sense of self entitlement and belief in their own importance.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Possibly because they’re usually using the road to get from a to b for a reason, such as getting to work, as opposed to using it for recreation!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I understand you correctly? You appear to be saying that recreation is not a valid reason to use our roads.

  8. #608
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    13,624
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Do I understand you correctly? You appear to be saying that recreation is not a valid reason to use our roads.
    I did have a quick peruse of the Highway Code and couldn’t find anything. Perhaps it’s in the same chapter which explains that you have more rights if you pay more, either in fuel, for your vehicle or perhaps, more famously, road tax?
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

  9. #609
    Craftsman skmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Possibly because they’re usually using the road to get from a to b for a reason, such as getting to work, as opposed to using it for recreation!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blinded by that same sense of entitlement and self importance ;0)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #610
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    3,396
    People who put brand new watches on rough surfaces to photograph them for eBay.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-GMT-Master-II-Rootbeer-126711CHNR-Box-and-Papers-2021-/284378166402

    Can’t believe you can do that without adding some marks/scratches.

  11. #611
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Possibly because they’re usually using the road to get from a to b for a reason, such as getting to work, as opposed to using it for recreation!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So what are the valid uses? The reverse is true here, the cycling hatred utterly baffles me. Your car journey is full of things that slow you down.

  12. #612
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Do I understand you correctly? You appear to be saying that recreation is not a valid reason to use our roads.
    I’m not getting into a silly argument over cars versus bicycles. When I drive my car I treat every road user equally - in fact as an ex motorcyclist I am far more wary of anyone on 2 wheels. I wouldn’t ride a bicycle on the road as I just don’t think it’s a safe environment, as I say I am extra careful around bikes but I’ve seen car drivers and cyclists driving/riding idiotically and sadly a cyclist will always come off worse in an accident. Now it’s summer in North Norfolk the narrow 60mph roads with their blind bends made even worse by tall grass everywhere are full of cyclists, mixed with visitors in enormous silly SUV’s. I hope every road user survives the day intact. With those dangers I wouldn’t choose cycling as a recreational activity but I appreciate we are all different.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #613
    Journeyman grandconjuration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    158

    Things you'll never understand

    People who whinge about cyclists on the road ‘causing traffic’ while seemingly being quite happy sitting in traffic queues of their own making without a cyclist in sight.

    If occasionally being delayed by a cyclist for a few seconds (or God forbid, a minute or two) is at the top of anyone’’s list of things they hate, they should be happy that they’re living a very comfortable life.

    Something I don’t understand - why Tapatalk won’t let me use apostrophes.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by grandconjuration; 20th July 2021 at 12:55.

  14. #614
    Craftsman skmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m not getting into a silly argument over cars versus bicycles. ...........
    I know it's childish, but........you started it!

  15. #615
    Craftsman r.dawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    778
    Every walk of life has its extreme idiots, drivers, cyclists, truckers, bikers.

    However, In my experience idiot cyclists are by far the most idiotic of idiots. Make up the rules of the road as they go along. That doesn't mean I think all cyclists are idiots, there are many that are perfectly fine on the roads.

    But like previously mentioned I don't understand cyclists using the road network due to the poor safety records.

  16. #616
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    SW UK
    Posts
    401
    Arts graduates, who don’t understand graphs, being empowered to make science-led national decisions.

  17. #617
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    18,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Most of the time those people have socks. They just choose to have very low cut, "invisible" socks. Ideal on boat shoes (docksides type) and Vans, but apparently metrosexual hipsters will wear them with chukka boots, penny loafers, and even brogues.
    Perhaps we need a 'visible socks' law as well as a 'no flip flops for adult males' law! ;-)
    “The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.”

  18. #618
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,048
    Only wear socks with my Sebagos if I'm wearing jeans/trousers. Never in shorts.

  19. #619
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    18,138
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    ..and the fact that they think they're being environmentally conscious and saving the planet whilst at the same time being blissfully ignorant of the massive queue of traffic that is spending longer on the road behind them.
    Quite. Since most of 'em aren't actually going anywhere they could just get one of these hamster wheels contraptions and everyone's happy. Can even wear the lycra as well. Win win.

    “The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.”

  20. #620
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,163
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Only wear socks with my Sebagos if I'm wearing jeans/trousers. Never in shorts.
    Deck shoes - no socks ever, boat shoes with shorts - no socks, boat shoes with jeans - socks.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  21. #621
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,048
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Deck shoes - no socks ever, boat shoes with shorts - no socks, boat shoes with jeans - socks.
    No idea what the difference is between a boat shoe and a deck shoe. Surely they're the same?

  22. #622
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    16,684
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    No idea what the difference is between a boat shoe and a deck shoe. Surely they're the same?
    Not sure but it may be that, in the context of the reply, deck shoes are worn on a boat and provide grip etc, while boat shoes are fashion items worn elsewhere for 'looks'. The same physical pair of shoes may fulfil both purposes.

  23. #623
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,163
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    No idea what the difference is between a boat shoe and a deck shoe. Surely they're the same?
    Both have non-marking soles however deck shoes have "sperry" type cross cut soles for better grip on a wet deck, whereas boat shoes are the same moccasin style but with a "commando" style sole for wearing when going ashore.
    I'm happy to wear deck shoes for sailing or going for a pint, but wouldn't sail in boat shoes as they aren't so grippy.
    Last edited by number2; 20th July 2021 at 14:24.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  24. #624
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Why so many people in expensive cars - look so bloody miserable.
    Because they can’t comfortably afford the monthly PCP payment…

  25. #625
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,466
    Why obvious troll sounds so pleased with himself

  26. #626
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,048
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Not sure but it may be that, in the context of the reply, deck shoes are worn on a boat and provide grip etc, while boat shoes are fashion items worn elsewhere for 'looks'. The same physical pair of shoes may fulfil both purposes.
    Sounds like tool watch Vs wrist bauble and probably true
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Both have non-marking soles however deck shoes have "sperry" type cross cut soles for better grip on a wet deck, whereas boat shoes are the same moccasin style but with a "commando" style sole for wearing when going ashore.
    I'm happy to wear deck shoes for sailing or going for a pint, but wouldn't sail in boat shoes as they aren't so grippy.
    Hard to get these days. Had to order from Nordstrom Canada and wait a month recently. No one in the EU does wide fit anymore. Used to wear the Sperry's and the Timberlands but find Sebago the most comfortable.

  27. #627
    Seemingly intelligent and well-educated people wasting hours each day on internet forums trying to convince a handful of complete strangers that they are right about everything

  28. #628
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Possibly because they’re usually using the road to get from a to b for a reason, such as getting to work, as opposed to using it for recreation!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The solution is obvious - do what the Dutch do. Either build separate cycle paths in the countryside, well away from the road. Or, in cities, do your utmost to upset both parties equally by laying cobbles and then intersecting the road and junctions with tram lines.

    That'll learn 'em.

  29. #629
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Seemingly intelligent and well-educated people wasting hours each day on internet forums trying to convince a handful of complete strangers that they are right about everything
    Your wrong about that

  30. #630
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    14,716
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Both have non-marking soles however deck shoes have "sperry" type cross cut soles for better grip on a wet deck, whereas boat shoes are the same moccasin style but with a "commando" style sole for wearing when going ashore...
    The correct term for that type of sole is 'siped'.
    ______

    ​Jim.

  31. #631
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,163
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    The correct term for that type of sole is 'siped'.
    Thank you, after a wee bit of a search...
    https://www.heddels.com/2018/07/sper...he-siped-sole/
    I understand more clearly
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  32. #632
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    16,684
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Both have non-marking soles however deck shoes have "sperry" type cross cut soles for better grip on a wet deck, whereas boat shoes are the same moccasin style but with a "commando" style sole for wearing when going ashore.
    I'm happy to wear deck shoes for sailing or going for a pint, but wouldn't sail in boat shoes as they aren't so grippy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    The correct term for that type of sole is 'siped'.
    Thanks for that.

    Sperry refer to it as Razor-Cut Wave-Siping (see Sperry Technology Glossary) and have gone so far as to trademark "wave-siping" in the USA. I too have learnt something, having generally referred to them as razor-cut soles.

  33. #633
    Grand Master jwg663's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    21.5 km From Moscow
    Posts
    14,716
    I first came across the term in relation to Timberland shoes.

    https://www.timberland.co.uk/iconic-boat-shoes.html

    'In 1979, we introduced newly designed siped soles for slip-resistant performance on decks. The iconic Timberland® boat shoe was born...'

    I've been wearing them since the early 1980s.

    Edit: I have no idea what the difference between 'deck/boat' amounts to.
    ______

    ​Jim.

  34. #634
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,163
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I first came across the term in relation to Timberland shoes.

    https://www.timberland.co.uk/iconic-boat-shoes.html

    'In 1979, we introduced newly designed siped soles for slip-resistant performance on decks. The iconic Timberland boat shoe was born...'

    I've been wearing them since the early 1980s.

    Edit: I have no idea what the difference between 'deck/boat' amounts to.
    Similarly I've been wearing them since the mid 90s
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  35. #635
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,406
    And those who say they believe in socialism and then tell us about their expensive cars,second homes and expensive watches.

  36. #636
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,163
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    And those who say they believe in socialism and then tell us about their expensive cars,second homes and expensive watches.
    Does someone who believes in socialism have to wear a "hair shirt"?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  37. #637
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    18,138
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    The solution is obvious - do what the Dutch do. Either build separate cycle paths in the countryside, well away from the road. Or, in cities, do your utmost to upset both parties equally by laying cobbles and then intersecting the road and junctions with tram lines.

    That'll learn 'em.
    Brilliant idea! Cycle paths in the countryside going round in circles. The lycra mob get to gather and shout at each other in groups out of everyone's way, and they can take their pedally bikes there on the car thereby not holding up the traffic.

    Gotta love the Dutch.
    “The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.”

  38. #638
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    13,905
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I've been wearing them since the early 1980s.
    Don't they smell a bit by now?

  39. #639
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    5,291
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Don't they smell a bit by now?
    No problem, off to the SC with them, some Rolex wearing scrote will buy them and another one of lifes mysteries will be solved.

  40. #640
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Not sure but it may be that, in the context of the reply, deck shoes are worn on a boat and provide grip etc, while boat shoes are fashion items worn elsewhere for 'looks'. The same physical pair of shoes may fulfil both purposes.
    My family are very much involved in yachting - my dad and brother are avid sailors, both have competed in the Fastnet race and my brother was involved in the Americas cup for years. They both swore by Sebago deck shoes, you can soak them in a bucket of fresh water overnight to remove the salt and they will air dry with no issues. Try that with a ‘fashion shoe’ and you’ll end up with a bucket of bits that have come unglued!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  41. #641
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Deepest darkest South Wales.
    Posts
    2,860
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My family are very much involved in yachting - my dad and brother are avid sailors, both have competed in the Fastnet race and my brother was involved in the Americas cup for years. They both swore by Sebago deck shoes, you can soak them in a bucket of fresh water overnight to remove the salt and they will air dry with no issues. Try that with a ‘fashion shoe’ and you’ll end up with a bucket of bits that have come unglued!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's as good a recommendation as it's possible to get!

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  42. #642
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    And those who say they believe in socialism and then tell us about their expensive cars,second homes and expensive watches.
    Worse still, there are those that believe in capitalism but don't have any of the above, or indeed even a paltry 7 figures in the bank.

  43. #643
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Berks
    Posts
    1,718
    Football.
    No idea what the world's obsession is all about

  44. #644
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,449
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My family are very much involved in yachting - my dad and brother are avid sailors, both have competed in the Fastnet race and my brother was involved in the Americas cup for years. They both swore by Sebago deck shoes, you can soak them in a bucket of fresh water overnight to remove the salt and they will air dry with no issues. Try that with a ‘fashion shoe’ and you’ll end up with a bucket of bits that have come unglued!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are Sebago still as good? I’ve not had a pair for years but they survived so much sea water abuse & bucket treatment as you say.

    Concerned there may have been corners cut over the year & cheaper methods employed. Toying between those and timberland.

  45. #645
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Are Sebago still as good? I’ve not had a pair for years but they survived so much sea water abuse & bucket treatment as you say.
    I bought a new pair of Docksides last year and I think they are just as good as in the past. Like someone above said, they are really good sailing shoes. Easy to put on, comfortable and very grippy on the deck. The sole is quite thin and the structure not very supporting, so I'd not use them for any longer distance walking. For me they are for sailing only.

  46. #646
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,048
    I'm sure I read that Sebago were sold and the shoes are made elsewhere now. Probably why I can't get wide fit in the EU anymore.

    Quality on the new ones seems ok but I've only worn then once and cut up my heel so I'm giving them a rest for when Birkenstocks or Allbirds really aren't acceptable.

  47. #647
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Are Sebago still as good? I’ve not had a pair for years but they survived so much sea water abuse & bucket treatment as you say.

    Concerned there may have been corners cut over the year & cheaper methods employed. Toying between those and timberland.
    Funny you should say that as I bought a pair last year and the stitching failed after just a couple of wears. The replacement I was offered were already starting to fail in the same place (to the surprise of the shop assistant and myself) so I don’t currently own a pair. These were the standard plain brown leather docksider, I usually have a pair of them and a pair of the Navy suede. They’re about £120 a pair now so not cheap. Maybe I as unlucky/ they were a faulty batch.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #648
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Are Sebago still as good? I’ve not had a pair for years but they survived so much sea water abuse & bucket treatment as you say.

    Concerned there may have been corners cut over the year & cheaper methods employed. Toying between those and timberland.
    Timberland make a range of deck shoes however its only the unlined one's with non marking soles I wear, worn on wet decks, waded across mudflats, walked across wet rocks and down the pub, - need to be on a boat again soon
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  49. #649
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    11,048
    Sold out to an Italian firm back in 2017. Same company also owns Superga and Kappa. I've had two pairs of Superga and wouldn't have another, cheap tat. Oh dear, what's the next brand up from Sebago?

    https://www.basic.net/v2/brand/sebago.html

  50. #650
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,163
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sold out to an Italian firm back in 2017. Same company also owns Superga and Kappa. I've had two pairs of Superga and wouldn't have another, cheap tat. Oh dear, what's the next brand up from Sebago?

    https://www.basic.net/v2/brand/sebago.html
    Same stuff happened with
    R M Williams, previously their gear was made in Australia, now it's just about only boots.
    Last edited by number2; 21st July 2021 at 12:17.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information