closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you'll never understand

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Olympic BMX
    Can’t believe you didn’t enjoy the brits winning both sets of BMX. Brilliant

Fire extinguishers changing from having the entire canister painted in their identifying colour to all being painted red with colour coded labelling.

What's all that about? Surely the previous system makes identification less ambiguous, even if it's only by a few degrees, and considering we're talking about potentially saving lives surely every marginal gain is relevant?

Edit to add that a quick Google suggests that they're all now red as it makes them easier to see, and therefore find, in a dark/smoke filled room. I suppose that's on the basis of, on average, any extinguisher is better than no extinguisher as you'd still have to be able to see the wording and print colour of it's markings!
    Last edited by CardShark; 4th August 2021 at 04:03.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Fire extinguishers changing from having the entire canister painted in their identifying colour to all being painted red with colour coded labelling.

What's all that about? Surely the previous system makes identification less ambiguous, even if it's only by a few degrees, and considering we're talking about potentially saving lives surely every marginal gain is relevant?

Edit to add that a quick Google suggests that they're all now red as it makes them easier to see, and therefore find, in a dark/smoke filled room. I suppose that's on the basis of, on average, any extinguisher is better than no extinguisher as you'd still have to be able to see the wording and print colour of it's markings!
    Think if it's a dark, smoke-filled room the advice would be to get out.

In normal lighting a red cylinder far easier to spot against a white wall in a large space than a cream one for example.

One of my biggest complaints as well. From the fire fighting courses I do for work we're told it was due to EU legislation so its the same throughout Europe. On the flip side the extinguisher in the particular space should be relevant to the most likely class of fire. So kitchen's would be foam and fire blanket, electronic spaces will be co2 etc.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I suppose that's on the basis of, on average, any extinguisher is better than no extinguisher
    Not really. You wouldn't want to use a water extinguisher on an electrical or liquid fire. If red really is used because it's more visible, it would make more sense to me if the top half of the extinguisher weas red, and the bottom half colour coded.

Five minutes after your fire safety course you’ve forgotten what colour is what anyway. Put out extinguishers appropriate to what’s in the immediate area.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Not really. You wouldn't want to use a water extinguisher on an electrical or liquid fire. If red really is used because it's more visible, it would make more sense to me if the top half of the extinguisher weas red, and the bottom half colour coded.
    You certainly wouldn't want to use a water extinguisher on electric/liquid fires though given each type should be strategically placed given its environment then, on average, finding one is better than none.

If red really is easier to see and that you should find the (typically) appropriate extinguisher given the circumstances I suppose it does actually make sense to have them all painted red.
    Last edited by CardShark; 4th August 2021 at 12:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Olympic BMX
    Olympic skateboarding.

Hopefully we’ll have conkers, tiddlywinks and hopscotch in 2024. Maybe hide and seek too!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Olympic skateboarding.

Hopefully we’ll have conkers, tiddlywinks and hopscotch in 2024. Maybe hide and seek too!
    Does seem a bit marginal and largely one for the kids, still gotta move with times and be all inclusive...I'm anticipating Olympic Knock Down Ginger, reckon the name'll have to be 'corrected'... I see GB'S 13 YR old got a Bronze...Also don't they already have X Games and such for these sports.

Olympic skateboarding.

Triple jump just as daft.

Master
    No more daft than the controlled-falling-down-a-mountain winter olympics though i reckon!

Why people insist on parking next to you in a completely empty car park. Do they think their cars get lonely when they leave them and need a bit of company?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Why people insist on parking next to you in a completely empty car park. Do they think their cars get lonely when they leave them and need a bit of company?
    Same at the urinals. Never got it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    My dad had one in the 60s, it was used when parked in a 40mph zone at night as an alternative to leaving sidelights on. He worked as an insurance agent and did lots of short runs on an evening, lots of stopping and starting. In those days cars had dynamos , not alternators, and keeping the battery fully charged was harder. Minimising drain on the battery was desirable so a parking light which drew less current was worthwhile.
    Same here, I can remember my father using one. Not sure when people stopped.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

This is a pet hate of mine. My only theory is that some people need to use an adjacent vehicle as a guide to park straight(ish).

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Things you'll never understand

Perhaps it to wind up the people who are so anal about their car that they’ll park as far as possible from any other vehicle?
    Last edited by Dave+63; 4th August 2021 at 20:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Perhaps it to wind up the people who are do anal about their car that they’ll park as far as possible from any other vehicle?
    Do anal about their car?

I just drive mine what on earth do you do to yours?

American style IPA (Citra?). Revolting stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why the person who designed the bridge that spans the car park to Cabots circus centre in Bristol did so in such a way that when going across one way you feel like you’ve been afflicted with an inner ear infection and coming back the other way a stroke. I guess the disorientation makes you spend more money when you get to the other side?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Why the person who designed the bridge that spans the car park to Cabots circus centre in Bristol did so in such a way that when going across one way you feel like you’ve been afflicted with an inner ear infection and coming back the other way a stroke. I guess the disorientation makes you spend more money when you get to the other side?
    Had to google images of that to know what you meant, that’s some weird looking design!

Had to google images of that to know what you meant, that’s some weird looking design!
    I’ve crossed it many times and as yet I can’t work out if they change the gradients from side to side front to back or if it’s just a trick of the eye, if you walk across the insides are angled to approx 25-30 degrees. However they’ve done it it’s very clever but I can help getting to either end and thinking why?

They're Knobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Same at the urinals. Never got it.
    They're Knob Watchers.

People drinking wine with Indian or Thai food. What an efficient way of ruining the taste of the food AND the wine. Beer or water. That's it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    People drinking wine with Indian or Thai food. What an efficient way of ruining the taste of the food AND the wine. Beer or water. That's it

Agreed, amazed me.

A good Gewürztraminer can go very well with southern Indian food.

Master
    I only drink a robust red wine (not necessarily expensive) with a curry.
    Beer just resets my palate with every mouthful, whereas red wine complements the curry flavours.
    We are all different.

Pete

Things you'll never understand

My dad used to do this. He thought it was a more organised way to fill up a car park - like when marshals direct us at large scale events. I pointed out that everyone doesn’t arrive and leave together for their supermarket shop.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Olympic skateboarding.

Breakdancing in 2024, I believe

The BMX and skateboarding was interesting to watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Same here, I can remember my father using one. Not sure when people stopped.
    My father bought an old Ford Pop around 1958ish. The device described was no good for him because he only drove it at the weekends and the battery wasn't good enough to last for 5 nights. There he used a red coloured sort of paraffin fueled lamp that was left at the side of the car. The police used to patrol the streets looking for unlit cars.

Master
    Blog Entries
    'Anorak' hobbyists dissing 'Anoraks' with different hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Had a few beers in Cabo? Seriously I quite like the twisted 'haunted house' feel. I think during the design process they just wanted to get away from the architectural boredom in Broadmead. So marks for trying..

Master
    How to post images on TZ-UK, Eraserhead(the film) and how the Quaker image on the Quaker oats box now looks younger than me.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    Had a few beers in Cabo? Seriously I quite like the twisted 'haunted house' feel. I think during the design process they just wanted to get away from the architectural boredom in Broadmead. So marks for trying..
    Ive yet to cross it without the feeling of having a skinfull.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    My father bought an old Ford Pop around 1958ish. The device described was no good for him because he only drove it at the weekends and the battery wasn't good enough to last for 5 nights. There he used a red coloured sort of paraffin fueled lamp that was left at the side of the car. The police used to patrol the streets looking for unlit cars.
    The ubiquitous Paraffin Road/Railway Warning Lamp/Lantern.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304080772...12031000008005

Master
    The ubiquitous Paraffin Road/Railway Warning Lamp/Lantern.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304080772...12031000008005
    Yes that is them, you saw them everywhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The police used to patrol the streets looking for unlit cars.
    Blimey! Those were the days!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Breakdancing in 2024, I believe
    Which is such a ridiculous idea, I guess it’s true!

Another food related one (can't work out why I am so overweight....). Why is it that in Indian Restaurants they give you knives and forks as cutlery? Surely it should be a spoon and fork like in oriental restaurants (chopsticks usually for noodles but can be used for rice from a small bowl). It isn't exactly easy to eat rice with a fork.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    How to post images on TZ-UK, Eraserhead(the film) and how the Quaker image on the Quaker oats box now looks younger than me.
    Eraserhead. Brilliant.
    Henry. Just so weird.
    Regards
    V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If I spot a car that looks like the owner is going to be protective and take care opening their door, I’ll park next to it.

e.g. last week there was a Ferrari 488 on the end of the row and 2 spaces the other side then the trolley parking bay. I parked next to the 488 leaving a wide gap i.e. I was right on the white line on the opposite side. So in all likelihood no one would squeeze in the narrow space to the trolley shelter and the other side I trusted the 488 owner not to whack his door into mine.

I wouldn’t park close to a car that had clearly chosen an empty space miles away from others in a large car park though, that’s just knobish.

Why people with precious cars think it's okay to take up two bays.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why people with precious cars think it's okay to take up two bays.
    I used to regularly find a couple of rather expensive cars parked in the station car park with a vacant bay in-between but so close to the white lines that I could only just squeeze my battered Volvo 240 Estate into the gap, which I would do even if there were other spaces available.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I used to regularly find a couple of rather expensive cars parked in the station car park with a vacant bay in-between but so close to the white lines that I could only just squeeze my battered Volvo 240 Estate into the gap, which I would do even if there were other spaces available.
    Seriously?

I had a 10 year old Renault it would never occur to me to deliberately ding or scratch someone else’s car regardless of how they park.

Just seems really odd behaviour

Seriously?

I had a 10 year old Renault it would never occur to me to deliberately ding or scratch someone else’s car regardless of how they park.

Just seems really odd behaviour
    Eh? I never touched one of them. The car park always ended up completely rammed so someone was going to have to do it.

Eh? I never touched one of them. The car park always ended up completely rammed so someone was going to have to do it.
    The suggestion of squeezing your car into a space when there are others available suggested it was deliberate and was likely to either cause you to ding their car or them to ding yours getting in or out or at the very least inconvenience them. I just don’t understand that mentality my old car was an absolute shed that doesn’t mean I wanted it dinged or would try and inconvenience someone else.

Just different people I guess personally I just don’t see the point of it.

That's right, it was deliberate. Their inconsiderate parking was inconveniencing other people and I made it my problem, not someone else's. And again, I never ever touched one of them with either the car or myself.

Blog Entries
    There’s always one.

There’s always one.
    There were two.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I regularly park next to cars which are not parked in the middle of their bay. I just park in the middle of the empty bay - if that means the other driver will have to breathe in deeply and squeeze themselves in to their car so be it.