closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 2841

Thread: Things you'll never understand

Eating in cars in no issue. However, driving out from the drive-thru whilst chomping through a sausage muffin, is not understandable. Park up. The driving munchers will no doubt throw the rubbish out of the window without a care in the world.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    Hooray!!! Somebody from my neck of the woods obviously. I was raised in Ossett.
    I've got used to Cob because I've lived in Nottingham for more than 20 years. But I still think its a tea cake
    I too was raised in Ossett and we called them teacakes when I was a kid in the 60s. Plain teacakes or current teacakes.

Here’s one I’ll never understand: people choosing to eat at McDonalds.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 26th October 2021 at 14:32.

How whoever dug this up was allowed to throw tarmac back down. Criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    that's criminal. Hoping it's temporary

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    that's criminal. Hoping it's temporary
    Monmouth St, Seven dials -- permanent

Craftsman
    Probably the guys from van moof. Their bikes don't have suspension and it's a terrible place to take a test ride.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

People who drive way under the speed limit for miles then floor it when the next traffic light is turning from green to orange, leaving you hanging at the red light.

Blog Entries
    If you really want your blood to boil, wonder what happened to the granite cobbles. (There's a word for those but I forget what it is).

There's a good chance they were actually sold to another local council or business for laying in a higher priority area.

Entire length of the road too. This is about 95% up the road.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ That really does look appalling.

It would be interesting to see what the council (Westmonster?) says about it. One might naively expect heritage items (cobbles being an example) to be of value to them.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    If you really want your blood to boil, wonder what happened to the granite cobbles. (There's a word for those but I forget what it is).

There's a good chance they were actually sold to another local council or business for laying in a higher priority area.
    I think the word may be 'sett'

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I think the word may be 'sett'
    Yes, that's it. Thanks.

Why pasta has to be packaged in those crappy crinkly plastic bags that are guaranteed to split as soon as you open them.

Entire length of the road too. This is about 95% up the road.
    Jesus! That is dire!!!

One of two reasons for that:

1). The utility company gave a bung to the council to allow that.

2). Council was too busy ensuring that cladding on buildings was safe.

Answers on a postcard, please...............

Master
    We have the same here in Shad Thames. We’ve been lobbying the council to make like replacement a condition of sign off and payment but no joy.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    We have the same here in Shad Thames. We’ve been lobbying the council to make like replacement a condition of sign off and payment but no joy.
    All the things councils waste money on and this is what they choose to hold back on? Dodgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Why pasta has to be packaged in those crappy crinkly plastic bags that are guaranteed to split as soon as you open them.
    Scissors.

Blog Entries
    All the things councils waste money on and this is what they choose to hold back on? Dodgy.
    As I say, there's money to be made from the cobbles (setts I mean, thanks sish101).

A few year ago, the council dug up old sandstone (I think) paving slabs from near here and sold them to a council elsewhere to put in a 'heritage' area. Someone else's heritage, though!

Master
    Napolina have recently switched to cardboard boxes. Much more environmentally friendly too.

Why hotels, even quite expensive ones barely give you enough teabags and horrid uht milk portions to make 2 cups in the room. A pint of fresh milk in the fridge would be what, 40p? And a dozen teabags pennies.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Why when I'm doing 70 in the middle lane of a motorway someone feels the need to overtake me at 80 in the outer lane, settle in front of me in the middle lane and slow to 65, meaning I have to overtake them again, and then they overtake me at 80 again, settle in front of me at 65. Rinse and repeat

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Why when I'm doing 70 in the middle lane of a motorway someone feels the need to overtake me at 80 in the outer lane, settle in front of me in the middle lane and slow to 65, meaning I have to overtake them again, and then they overtake me at 80 again, settle in front of me at 65. Rinse and repeat
    People who drive in the middle lane for no other reason than they are cruising at 70
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

1. F-ing self-righteous A-holes who don't drive in the inside lane when they're not overtaking.

2. Many on this forum who can't make a f-ing decision without seeking numerous opinions from random strangers on a random watch forum.

Master
    Cretins who drive at speed in supermarket car parks. Saw one today driving like he was playing a computer game. Child or adult can always emerge from between parked cars and drivers reversing out of spaces are often substantially unsighted.

Master

Things you'll never understand

I keep my speed to +/- 1mph when on a motorway, usually on a speed limit setting.

The number of people who overtake to then slow down for me to overtake without adjusting speed really boils my piss.

Smart motorways driven by which drivers who cannot move to the left - fudge me, how stupid are the public.
    Last edited by Mj2k; 10th November 2021 at 07:28.

Master
    ^^^^^ might want to edit that. We are in the G&D.

Why my family are so good at turning lights and TVs on, but struggle to grasp the reverse
    Last edited by Halitosis; 10th November 2021 at 20:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    ^^^^^ might want to edit that. We are in the G&D.
    Cheers mate.

How scrambled eggs don't fill you up the same way poached, fried or boiled eggs do. Two eggs is always enough but I always need three when scrambling.

Maybe you shouldn't be in the middle lane unless your overtaking another vehicle.
    If the inside lane is clear that's where you should be.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ing-law-police
    Last edited by Rod; 11th November 2021 at 16:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Maybe you shouldn't be in the middle lane unless your overtaking another vehicle.
    If the inside lane is clear that's where you should be.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ing-law-police
    Even at night when the roads are clear they still insist on doing it. The one that gets me and I see it lots at night is when the roads clear and someone is sitting in the outside lane, someone come up behind them and just sits there expecting them to move over rather than using lanes 1,2 or 3 to just pass. The standard of driving across the board has got worse over lockdown.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Why some people nail up their letterbox and have some obscene kitsch B&Q tin-mailbox fitted on a nearby wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Why some people nail up their letterbox and have some obscene kitsch B&Q tin-mailbox fitted on a nearby wall.
    Because a TZ-UK member posted dog shi[ through their letterbox?

Master
    Because a TZ-UK member posted dog shi[ through their letterbox?
    Ha ha, good one

I assumed people go in for these because they find it difficult to scrape their mail up off the floor due to age, mobility restrictions, etc.

Some of us have a locked gate that's some metres away from the house, so a post box is a solution, that may not be the case in a flat or a modern cramped 21st century house.
    Last edited by number2; 12th November 2021 at 03:55.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Strangely enough, the Law of Slits which came about in the 1700s, has never been repealed. The law stated that the Post Office had to deliver mail to every house in the land and in return to speed up the process, every house in the land had to have a slit in either the wall or the door to make the Postmans job easier.

From day 1 this was contentious for reasons already stated in this thread such as infirm house holders and locked gates etc.

Strictly speaking if you do not have an easily accessible slit, the Post Office has the right not to deliver. In practice this is hardly ever enforced.

The most common dispute between the Post Office (now Royal Mail) is when a householder builds a porch without a slit in front of the old door. Householders often complain about the Postie for entering the porch to push mail through the old door and claiming it is trespass. Another reason is that Posties make the porch carpet dirty with their wet boots. They insist that the Postie rings the bell, waits and hands the post directly to them.

It is for cases like this that the Law of Slits has never been repealed.

However in practice, a metal pillar box fixed to the wall is deemed acceptable but the police don't like it because a stuffed metal pillar box is a dead giveaway that the house is unoccupied.

Every day is a school day

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Strangely enough, the Law of Slits which came about in the 1700s, has never been repealed. The law stated that the Post Office had to deliver mail to every house in the land and in return to speed up the process, every house in the land had to have a slit in either the wall or the door to make the Postmans job easier.

From day 1 this was contentious for reasons already stated in this thread such as infirm house holders and locked gates etc.

Strictly speaking if you do not have an easily accessible slit, the Post Office has the right not to deliver. In practice this is hardly ever enforced.

The most common dispute between the Post Office (now Royal Mail) is when a householder builds a porch without a slit in front of the old door. Householders often complain about the Postie for entering the porch to push mail through the old door and claiming it is trespass. Another reason is that Posties make the porch carpet dirty with their wet boots. They insist that the Postie rings the bell, waits and hands the post directly to them.

However in practice, a metal pillar box fixed to the wall is deemed acceptable but the police don't like it because a stuffed metal pillar box is a dead giveaway that the house is unoccupied.
    Three minutes of research shows:

There is no legal requirement to have a letterbox. The "law of slits" probably refers to something else in Mick's Fantasyland.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Three minutes of research shows:

There is no legal requirement to have a letterbox. The "law of slits" probably refers to something else in Mick's Fantasyland.
    If that sort of reply gives you a cheap thrill, then so be it. I just can't be bothered anymore.

The law of slits?

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly a mail eating dog?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

If that sort of reply gives you a cheap thrill, then so be it. I just can't be bothered anymore.
    In my experience this is as good an indication as any that Mick has been caught fibbing again.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Possibly a mail eating dog?
    That's true.

The Exorcist.

Just tried watching for the second time, I just don’t get the hype. Total snooze-fest with about two mins of excitement.

So bad my head spun around and I vomited everywhere.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    The Exorcist.

So bad my head spun around and I vomited everywhere.
    brilliant post

I'll never understand why Gerard Butler is such a $h1t actor ??

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I'll never understand why Gerard Butler is such a $h1t actor ??
    There are lots of shit actors, the disappointing thing is that he gets so much work.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    There are lots of shit actors, the disappointing thing is that he gets so much work.
    I think he is a class actor compared to that cardboard cut-out Seagal.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 13th November 2021 at 16:40.

Master
    Why I no longer enjoy pubs.

It was great with all the table service recently & despite my local trying to maintain table service, it was back to old & loud people sat at stools at the bar.

Couple that with the tables now being crammed in & an amazing amount of noise from people only sat half a metre from their mates but feeling the need to yell at each other.

I think I preferred it with fewer people and a quieter environment. The non-local still manages to feel peaceful, the village pub is disappointing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Why I no longer enjoy pubs.

It was great with all the table service recently & despite my local trying to maintain table service, it was back to old & loud people sat at stools at the bar.

Couple that with the tables now being crammed in & an amazing amount of noise from people only sat half a metre from their mates but feeling the need to yell at each other.

I think I preferred it with fewer people and a quieter environment. The non-local still manages to feel peaceful, the village pub is disappointing.
    It's called getting old
    Nothing to fret about.