closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW Styling

Master

BMW Styling

Have BMW hired stylists from SsangYong or something?
    Their cars are just getting uglier.

I saw that pic earlier today and assumed it was a joke.

Are you thinking it’s for real?

The new 4 series grille is hideous enough, but that takes ugly to the next level.

I seriously fear for their future prospects if they carry on with their current designs.

Master
    It’s a rendering of what they think it will look like.
    Considering the X6 is this ugly and it’s already out, it wouldn’t surprise me if the X8 will be even uglier.

New M3 is an acquired taste too, and this one is also 95 grand new!

Craftsman
    Bmw's have been ugly for about 10 years and they aren't getting any better or cheaper....

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I reckon these designs are purely to make Internal Combustion Engined cars look terrible next to their EV cars.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Have BMW hired stylists from SsangYong or something?
    Their cars are just getting uglier.

Ooh, no - I don't like it, sorry. Maybe it'll age well - I remember all the jokes about "the car Bangle spannered" - and those look OK now.

Could not talk my father out of buying a 4 series, the front end is hideous!

Craftsman
    I’m a big BMW fan but have to agree that their current styling is pretty poor. The new M3 / M4 looks better in real life but still not sure about it.

Master
    I will go against the grain and say I love the new 4 series grille. Yes, have seen one but the rear end of the car is horribly bloated.

Master
    Have been a long standing BMW lover, but visually I’m never buying another while they look like this.

To be fair, I’d never buy another as I’ve become a Porsche man now, better in every way from looks to handling & quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried really hard to learn to like the new grilles, but I went to a car meet recently and there was an E46 M3 next to the new M4, which only amplified just how poor the new design is. It's not just the grille though, the whole thing is badly proportioned and the various details don't work with each other.

As for SUVs and crossovers, the current trend to make it look like two cars stacked on top of each other, like plastic cups, seems so lazy to me. I know they are doing it to disguise the sheer size of the things, but the double wheel arches and sills is a really poor solution which will age badly.

Craftsman
    I was watching this last night and comparing the two the new one just looks overdone and a bit messy.

https://youtu.be/AV5qS3wl5oo

That X8 is pretty accurate going by the leaks and mules so far. I actually like it, got the FU factor.

Just seen a brand new M235i in black at my village shop on the way home half an hour ago. So this thread is well timed for me.

I actually stopped to have a look at in the car park because it stood out as absolutely minging.

Especially from the back.

It was ugly on a par with recent Civic Type R’s, and that’s saying something.

It is rare to see a car that is hideous from every angle, but the BMW design team seem to be managing it at the moment.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    New M3 is an acquired taste too, and this one is also 95 grand new!

A touch of a 1970’s Camaro there with the front end I feel, only not as nice.

And 95k? For a 3 series? Is that for real?

It is but it's not exactly any old 3 series!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

New M3 is just dire - exacerbated by the number plate.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I was thinking of replacing my 2007 BMW, but it came as a bit of a shock that their current designs have gotten a lot worst, especially the grill. So I am now looking at other brands. I wonder how many sales BMW need to lose before doing something about their designs? Or does this stuff actually appeal to some people?

Blog Entries
    I believe that most of the design changes are being led by Chinese market focus groups.....as that is where the majority of sales growth is coming from.

I may be misinformed, so happy to be corrected.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I've tried really hard to learn to like the new grilles, but I went to a car meet recently and there was an E46 M3 next to the new M4, which only amplified just how poor the new design is.
    Had an E46 and loved the look. Still looks good if you see a nice one what, 15 years after they stopped making them?
    Last edited by David_D; 21st June 2021 at 22:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I was thinking of replacing my 2007 BMW, but it came as a bit of a shock that their current designs have gotten a lot worst, especially the grill.
    You thought that was a shock. Have you seen the price of a basic 420??!

The sales guy was almost embarrassed to tell me. 75k for the base car, add sports seats, paint and a few other extras and it hit 95k.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Had an E46 and loved the look. Still looks good if you see a nice one what, 15 years after they stopped making them?
    When the E46 first came out it looked great and it's one of those rare cars which never really looked outdated either (especially as an M3), as all the subsequent ones just made it look better and better. It was also a definite improvement over the E36 which did age quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    The sales guy was almost embarrassed to tell me. 75k for the base car, add sports seats, paint and a few other extras and it hit 95k.
    That is just bonkers. I remember reading somewhere (granted, a few years ago), that BMW struggled to sell even their top of the line high-end 7 and 8 series, and i8 because they were over 100k and public perception was simply that BMW are not a 100k+ car brand.

I know time has moved on, but it will be interesting to see how the market responds to a 3 series, even one as special as the M3, approaching that figure.

Still, I’m sure BMW understand their market far better than I do…

I’ve just ordered (on contract lease) a Range Rover Sport P400e (PHEV) HSE Dynamic Black Edition, which as well as have a ridiculously long name has what seems to me to be a fairly ridiculous £80k price tag.

But that M3 is 15k more than that…

Presumably few people actually purchase these cars outright anymore, so I guess a lot of it comes down to the finance deal you can get.

The recent BMW are not nice to look at, the grills are terrible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    When the E46 first came out it looked great and it's one of those rare cars which never really looked outdated either (especially as an M3), as all the subsequent ones just made it look better and better.
    Exactly! Quite a rarity for any ‘product’.

Craftsman
    The weird front end is just so horrendous. Out of the luxury Germans, Mercedes are miles ahead imo styling wise. Audi is OK too but to many fake grills just to try and look sporty

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Designs are very edgy with sharper highlights and pumped up grills, I'll stick with my E30 with tiny kidney grills thanks!

Journeyman
    That is just bonkers. I remember reading somewhere (granted, a few years ago), that BMW struggled to sell even their top of the line high-end 7 and 8 series, and i8 because they were over 100k and public perception was simply that BMW are not a 100k+ car brand.

I know time has moved on, but it will be interesting to see how the market responds to a 3 series, even one as special as the M3, approaching that figure.

Still, I’m sure BMW understand their market far better than I do…

I’ve just ordered (on contract lease) a Range Rover Sport P400e (PHEV) HSE Dynamic Black Edition, which as well as have a ridiculously long name has what seems to me to be a fairly ridiculous £80k price tag.

But that M3 is 15k more than that…

Presumably few people actually purchase these cars outright anymore, so I guess a lot of it comes down to the finance deal you can get there.
    Their recent EV cars look really disgusting, my opinion. In terms of design their iconic X5 is the best looking crossover I have ever seen. It is really gorgeous.
    Last edited by Owren; 1st July 2021 at 18:07. Reason: spelling