closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Big Pilot.... Help me decide

Craftsman

Big Pilot.... Help me decide

Hi all,

I picked up a Big Pilot last week, but am struggling to decide whether it is too much watch. I'm 6'3" so that helps to offset the size, but it is still quite a piece. I've attached some pictures below and would be interested to hear opinions of maybe some more experienced enthusiasts. Oh and my daily wearer is a 16600.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks a bit big for your wrist ,but that’s just my opinion.

It looks oversized but it’s meant to. I don’t personally like the big watch look but many do. If you like it, enjoy it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Looks a bit big for your wrist ,but that’s just my opinion.
    It's a big watch for sure, but the lugs fall within the extremities of my wrist.....

I think it is designed to look like a "big" watch on the wrist and looks AOK on you, if that is the look you want.
    My wrist is 8 inches and I wore an Oyster perpetual date at 34/36? mm for years along with 37MM JLC RDM but I then went to a UTS commander the size of a dinner plate!
    Flares or Drainpipes, your choice Sir!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks great to me. It's a scaled down version of a B-Uhr...it's supposed to look big. The short lugs make it much more wearable than other B-Uhr homages. Plus IWC was the nicest of the original B-Uhrs

I'd be more worried about that T-shirt than the BP.

Pretty much agree with what's been said. It is big but it's meant to be. Crucially you say the lugs don't overhang your wrist so that's a massive plus, no pun intended.

Give it a few days of wearing it exclusively before you do anything drastic. I now have quite a few pieces of different sizes and it can take a while to get used to a new size be it up or down. See how you feel but ultimately its down to how you feel about the size not anyone else.

Looks very good to me. Very cool and size look fine

Craftsman
    Nice watch and interesting in your views as fancy trying one of these myself. What size is your wrist and what is the onion crown like for size and fit as this is what is maybe putting me off
    Last edited by LRB255; 20th June 2021 at 17:32.

Personal I think it looks fine. That’s coming from a Panerai daily wearer though.

I’ve been looking at these recently myself. My concern is the crown digging in your wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    What is gained by such a size? Is that more readable than the smaller IWC pilot designs? And why does it have such a huge crown when it’s an automatic and doesn’t need winding?
    Not convinced, especially as it’s expensive for such a routine design. Sorry, but not for me.
    Being able to switch straps is hardly novel.
    Around 40mm and manual-winding would be more appealing to me. At the right price. You don’t need Big Ben to fly a modern aircraft.
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th June 2021 at 17:41.

It looks absolutely fine, ignore the Itty Bitty Wrist Committee.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Nice watch and interesting in your views as fancy trying one of these myself. What size is your wrist and what is the onion crown like for size and fit as this is what is maybe putting me off
    My wrist is marginally under 8 inches, which is pretty much in proportion with my height. One thing i did notice at the AD with a full length mirror is that even if you don't have massive arms, my physical size in general plays a part too. I've had 45.5mm Planet Oceans in the past, but have become so used to a 40mm SD, or a Speedmaster.

Craftsman
    Also I'm left handed, so wear the watch on my right wrist mitigating the crown digging in.

Craftsman
    Looks great! Is it the Le Petit Prince model?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    Looks great! Is it the Le Petit Prince model?
    Thanks. It is the Petit Prince, yes

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    What is gained by such a size? Is that more readable than the smaller IWC pilot designs? And why does it have such a huge crown when it’s an automatic and doesn’t need winding?
    Not convinced, especially as it’s expensive for such a routine design. Sorry, but not for me.
    Being able to switch straps is hardly novel.
    Around 40mm and manual-winding would be more appealing to me. At the right price. You don’t need Big Ben to fly a modern aircraft.
    It's all in the history. In WW2 the B-Uhr was 55mm so the Big Pilot is tiny in comparison. The big onion crown made it easier to wind the watch when wearing heavy flying gloves. Those planes wren't heated so the crew had to dress up warm!

I'm not generally a lover of big watches but the BP looks so cool in my opinion. Here's my 5002-01

Quote Originally Posted by Paneraiseeker View Post
    I'd be more worried about that T-shirt than the BP.
    Ignore the haters - that' a great tee.

yes, it's going to be big, yes it's going to be a statement. Are you happy about making a statement all the time? If so, go for it!

Pots and kettles https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...y-latest-flame

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    ….it’s expensive for such a routine design.

Master
    Looks perfect. It's not supposed to be small. Fits well and looks great.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    It's a big watch for sure, but the lugs fall within the extremities of my wrist.....
    Looks good - I think the BP is a great looking watch

Craftsman
    Also I'm left handed, so wear the watch on my right wrist mitigating the crown digging in.
    Thanks Spesh that’s very interesting as I’m left hand and wear on the right too though it would worry me the size of the crown, also I’m just under 8” wrist size. I’m trying to find an AD on my travels who stock but struggling to date

Looks a nice fit to me , a very nice cool looking pilots watch

Craftsman
    It's hard to judge from pictures, perspective can get a bit confused.

For me it looks too big, but as others have said it's supposed to. They don't call it the IWC medium pilot do they? All about what you're comfotable with.

Have you had a look at the 43mm?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    It's hard to judge from pictures, perspective can get a bit confused.

For me it looks too big, but as others have said it's supposed to. They don't call it the IWC medium pilot do they? All about what you're comfotable with.

Have you had a look at the 43mm?
    I had a Pilots Chrono (also Petit Prince dial) and moved it on. The BP doesn't feel like it wears that much bigger. I'm a 6'3" tournament water-skier so am competing with a boat that has 420 horses which inevitably develops wrist/forearm size. That said it must be a slim market if it looks too big on me.

Looks big but when's the last time you saw a big pilot on someone look small? Meant to wear like that IMO, looks good.

It doesn't look too big at all, it fits really well on your wrist. It's a beautiful watch and you'll get used to the size very quickly.

Looks good, just what you want from a big pilot.

You sure your not convincing yourself it looks too big by the angles you are looking at it? Any watch can be made to seem “big” but from the last picture you shown it looked a perfect size to me.

Craftsman
    Looks fine on your wrist to me. Personally I prefer a 36mm watch but the sort of watch that the IWC is makes it look large because it is meant to be large. I personally would have went for the hand wound Stowa or Laco.

Master
    Looks good to me. All part of that style of watch. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I had a Pilots Chrono (also Petit Prince dial) and moved it on. The BP doesn't feel like it wears that much bigger. I'm a 6'3" tournament water-skier so am competing with a boat that has 420 horses which inevitably develops wrist/forearm size. That said it must be a slim market if it looks too big on me.
    Well when I said too big, I meant it looks bigger than something I would wear. But then I'm someone who prefers a watch to fly under the radar a bit.

I think that's why it's hard getting advice from a forum on something like this. For a start it's not easy to judge by photos, it looks massive in one of them but nowhere near as big in the last one. And you can't account for personal preference. It's only too big if you think it is.

I'd maybe think about why you asked in the first place, did you have a bit of doubt in your mind to begin with?

Master
    I like it, I like the size and it looks great on you.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks good, no lug overhang and its called a big pilot for a reason.

Well My Friend that watch represents pure elegance to Me and I think it looks superb on Your wrist wear it in very good health.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think it will remain as a part of my collection.

It looks great and you carry it well.

Fmf

It suits you perfectly.....Enjoy !