closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A mechanical puzzle - removing the hands from the dial of a vintage scale

Craftsman

A mechanical puzzle - removing the hands from the dial of a vintage scale

I am attempting to restore some scales I found being given away on the front wall of a house (the wife was delighted when I brought that home). So far so good but I'm a bit stumped by how to remove the "hand" on the dial. Then I thought surely the collective might of a watch forum could help. I am assuming it is just pressure fit, but can anyone with some more knowledge confirm that. I watched a similar video where the guy ground the end-cap off in the end. Is it just rusted on, or does it need some sort of grinding instead?

I've attempted some WD-40 and quite a bit of pressure with two screwdrivers underneath, I just don't want to damage the stem.

Ta, Dan.

The tube might be secured to the mechanism somehow, grub screw?
    Cheers..
    Jase

It’s amazing how such a small amount of corrosion between to components makes something hang on for dear life. You need a small bearing type puller which can be purchased cheaply off eBay/Amazon

A sheet of plastic (cut from a plastic bag will do) over the pointer and dial for protection and lever off with two of these.

You're welcome!

Great idea Uri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Cheers all, it definitely looks like a pressure fit so I might let the WD40 sink in and try again.