closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Classic car breakdown cover

Classic car breakdown cover

Who can you recommend for classic car breakdown cover?

Looking for 'return to home address' policy for a 22 year old Defender. Not that they ever break down or anything...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've been consistently happy with Adrian Flux for two kit cars and a host of slightly cranky old British bikes. If you have the right profile they are dirt cheap even for stuff that exceeds 100bhp/ton and they are wonderfully personal and professional. I've used Footman James in the past and been no less happy. Check with your owners club as both have discount arrangements with some clubs. Certainly in the case of Adrian Flux, membership of the club costs less than the discount.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I've been consistently happy with Adrian Flux for two kit cars and a host of slightly cranky old British bikes. If you have the right profile they are dirt cheap even for stuff that exceeds 100bhp/ton and they are wonderfully personal and professional. I've used Footman James in the past and been no less happy. Check with your owners club as both have discount arrangements with some clubs. Certainly in the case of Adrian Flux, membership of the club costs less than the discount.
    Are they not both insurance brokers rather than breakdown services?

Sorry, to clarify I'm looking for breakdown cover/recovery rather than insurance.

I get my breakdown cover as part of the package with a Nationwide FlexPlus account. Because it is a joint account, my missus is also covered.

It’s much, much cheaper than one of the dedicated services (AA, RAC, GreenFlag etc etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I get my breakdown cover as part of the package with a Nationwide FlexPlus account. Because it is a joint account, my missus is also covered.

It’s much, much cheaper than one of the dedicated services (AA, RAC, GreenFlag etc etc).
    Thanks but I can't get cover with most of the major players (such as Green Flag) due to the age of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Thanks but I can't get cover with most of the major players (such as Green Flag) due to the age of the vehicle.

The FlexPlus policy doesn’t seem to mention any age limit for the vehicle (just that it needs an MoT and must be road worthy):

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/media...nce_Policy.pdf

This company were recommended for our 24-year old classic mini.
    It was £50 for national recovery (first year), then £45 for year No.2. (no claims discount)
    https://www.rescuemycar.com/breakdown-cover/

The breakdown cover provider for my "modern" Discovery 300 has in the past come to my aid when in one of the oldies.
    I am with Mayday, which is Green Flag with the Caravan Club as a middle man. About £117 p.a. for me and my wife in any vehicle, mine or not.
    I have been 100% satisfied with their service since joining many moons ago.
    Briefly, the big advantage of going through the CC is that you are covered for roadside repair and/or recovery for not only the tractor but the trailer also. With the others, recovery of a trailer is permissible but not repair.

I have RAC cover for a few vehicles including my 1965 Mustang. Seems strange that they’re suggesting a 20 year old Landrover is too old.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I get recovery as part of my insurance with Lancaster for the TR6 full repatriation up to four times a year. Grand total £165 Should think it’s not doing it separately.

Master
    Sorry, to clarify I'm looking for breakdown cover/recovery rather than insurance.

Breakdown cover is often included with classic insurance, always has been for me. I think that's why Footman James etc have been recommended.

Beware of Adrian flux classic car insurance.
    If you make a claim - they will use up to six different companies to provide a courtesy car and "manage" your claim.

On a no blame bump - they hired a £90 per week courtesy car to charge the other party £98 per day - then took 10-weeks to repair a simple dent and boot panel replacement at the rear of our Classic mini.
    During the 10-weeks standing outside in the rain - they complained that the hand brake had jammed on, and the clutch slave cylinder had seized - as if it was my fault that they had neglected to repair the car for 2 and a half months.

The car came back from their approved repaired (a body shop in Hexham) with broken hinge mounts and the drivers door hanging off - which was £600 worth of extra damage for me to organise the repairs, and reclaim the money from Adrian Flux due to their repairers negligence.
    Just stay clear of Adrian flux if you don't like incompetence and a load of hassle.

This sounds odd as I have AA cover through Lloyds and they've taken care of me when I had a breakdown in a '67 Lotus and more recently, with my '89 Porsche. Never any mention of an age limit.

That's very odd. I swear when I put my details in originally, it wouldn't show me a price and displayed "only for vehicles up to 10 years old". I put my details in again just now and its offered me a price of £65.00.

Thanks for all the alternative suggestions posted here.

Craftsman
    Auto Aid, good value and cover any car you are in with no age limit

Craftsman
    Been with Start Rescue for a few years , dont bother with the big hitters anymore although i get free cover on the new van/ cars

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Auto Aid, good value and cover any car you are in with no age limit
    Auto Aid here again, only £59 per year for as many cars as you wish (plus free cover for your spouse/partner). And I have used them when broken down, were very good.