closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is the Daytona too much to buy now …??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a gold Daytona, new at standard list direct from a Rolex dealer. Not that I care about any of this, because I will never sell. I don’t care about the money, not in the slightest, . I bought the watch because i wanted one so pretty to my tastes. It’s for me, just me. Never for money.

The thread was started regarding a model that was almost 3 times list price.
    Would you have bought your watch with the same inflated price?
    I’m guessing so if it’s not about money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    The local AD in my town said the demand for the platinum Daytona is crazy. Even at a list of around £60k I think.
    Didn’t realise when I once tried one on (purely for curiosity to feel the weight) that I was passing up a bargain at the then list of c£50,000.

Master
    Have you felt the weight? That’ll stretch your wrist.

They was pulling in march with the platinum model nothing happened but price went up based on rubbish
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    I’ve heard a rumour that Rolex are looking to pull the stainless steel Daytona in the near future. I wonder what that would do to the current values…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from my SM-G780F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Didn’t realise when I once tried one on (purely for curiosity to feel the weight) that I was passing up a bargain at the then list of c£50,000.
    You seen what they are trying to get for these now. Who could have predicted this when you could easily get them for £50k.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...8e2643&rank=11

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Watchfinder don’t list all their stock if they have multiples of any model in their inventory…..sell a few, add few on hold to replace the sold ones. Etc.
    And drive the prices up a little further :)

Watchfinder have offered me £13500 on a 2012 bi metal white dial Daytona last week…

Master
    I saw a black faced ceramic Daytona in berry’s in nots today for £26000 is that good these days ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Watchfinder have offered me £13500 on a 2012 bi metal white dial Daytona last week…
    Offered me £25k for my white dual 116500ln, so they are obviously expecting to keep selling them around the £30k price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I saw a black faced ceramic Daytona in berry’s in nots today for £26000 is that good these days ?
    Yeah, that's a bargain, snap it up while you can. [P.S. It's up to you whether you think it's good value or not.]

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    You seen what they are trying to get for these now. Who could have predicted this when you could easily get them for £50k.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...8e2643&rank=11
    Madness - the Platinum version was available with a discount.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    And drive the prices up a little further :)
    Further reinforcing the ‘scarcity’ of such watches

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Madness - the Platinum version was available with a discount.
    Still is... sitting in windows here and there. Theres literally zero reason to pay a premium on it....

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Still is... sitting in windows here and there. Theres literally zero reason to pay a premium on it....
    Any evidence of this?

It really isn't.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    It really isn't.
    We have 3 in stock afaik. They sell now and then but no lists etc... guess it varies by market then. Shop around would be prudent at least, you can go 3 laps around the world for the £60k price difference.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Which dealer?

You sure you got the right model Daytona? Platonas are prob as in demand as a Nautilus at the mo!

Master
    We have 3 in stock afaik. They sell now and then but no lists etc... guess it varies by market then. Shop around would be prudent at least, you can go 3 laps around the world for the £60k price difference.
    Are you sure you’re talking about the right watch? They seem to be going for silly money and AD’s are struggling to get hold of them.

I tried one on in 2013 at a Rolex event and for a few years after they were easy to get and possibly at a discount. The AD I deal with told me 2 or 3 years ago that they weren’t easy to get. Looking at grey prices right now I’d say they were extremely hard to get.

Master
    What does ‘we’ mean? I see your interests are ‘non Rolex’ on your profile which is no bad thing. But surely that means you are not a Rolex dealer?

Master
    I'm a watchmaker at a Rolex AD. It's true before the pandemic they were scarce but that's cause they were all snapped up by Chinese tourists getting them on the tax free and smuggling them back. I'm not UK based so again, different markets etc... Trust me they are out there, if you are willing to travel.

Master
    Forget the mark up and hype on platonas etc, prefer the simple black ceramic over it, classy (and prefer it over the panda). I don’t like the baby blue and brown colour combo.

Master
    Probably worth remembering that Rolex will be churning these Daytona’s out in production in huge numbers.
    It isn’t going to just end. It’s not discontinued. But those endless ‘lists’…..

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Forget the mark up and hype on platonas etc, prefer the simple black ceramic over it, classy (and prefer it over the panda). I don’t like the baby blue and brown colour combo.

Must admit as a White Ceramic owner ive always wanted to try the black - looks superb!
    Last edited by kultschar; 20th July 2021 at 14:22.

Master
    Probably worth remembering that Rolex will be churning these Daytona’s out in production in huge numbers.
    Anyone who buys a SS model will almost certainly do well. The word "churning" was somewhat inappropriate.

It's a good watch for a young man to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Anyone who buys a SS model will almost certainly do well. The word "churning" was somewhat inappropriate.

Inappropriate? What tosh. And it's a good watch for anyone to buy at RRP imo. Other than that, I agree with you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Inappropriate? What tosh. And it's a good watch for anyone to buy at RRP imo. Other than that, I agree with you.
    Just a personal thing but I think a Daytona on an old man gives the impression of him trying to hard to maintain his youth. It's like wearing jeans, old men may think they look cool in the things but the youngsters just think of mutton and lamb.

Master
    Just a personal thing but I think a Daytona on an old man gives the impression of him trying to hard to maintain his youth. It's like wearing jeans, old men may think they look cool in the things but the youngsters just think of mutton and lamb.
    Made me laugh

Perhaps a two tone datejust is more appropriate for the older gent...champagne dial of course

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps a two tone datejust is more appropriate for the older gent...champagne dial of course
    Exactly what my dad wears at 77!

Master

‘Churning’ because successful Daytona buyers know which side their bread is buttered. You can call it the ‘Lurpak’ version.
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th July 2021 at 17:12.

Master
    Made me laugh

My humble opinion is that a SS Daytona looks best on a woman in her 30s/40s. It just looks classy on a woman.

I am fortunate that the Explorer Freccione is really 1970s in style and it looks right on a man in his seventies.

Churning is a relative term
    Estimates for annual Daytona SS production numbers vary from 10,000 to 14,000. Not that anyone knows for sure but there is logical math and some inside info behind these estimates. It is not a small number but in face of demand, not really that many. As long as economies are not in dire straits, demand will continue to outstrip supply for the foreseeable future.

Master
    My humble opinion is that a SS Daytona looks best on a woman in her 30s/40s. It just looks classy on a woman.

I am fortunate that the Explorer Freccione is really 1970s in style and it looks right on a man in his seventies.
    Wtf

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wtf
    As he has very “humbly” said in the past, every opinion is equally valid, but whether that includes the drunken ones, he didn’t say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    As he has very “humbly” said in the past, every opinion is equally valid, but whether that includes the drunken ones, he didn’t say.
    I have been almost teetotal for the last seven months as I did not wish to have a drink in front of my wife who is recovering from a stroke and has been advised not to drink for at least 12 months.

I have often thought that the oft used quip of complaining about someone you don't like by insinuating they are an alcoholic is a bit cheap.

Master
    Mick I hope your wife is recovering well. Best wishes to her.

I have been almost teetotal for the last seven months as I did not wish to have a drink in front of my wife who is recovering from a stroke and has been advised not to drink for at least 12 months.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Churning is a relative term
    Estimates for annual Daytona SS production numbers vary from 10,000 to 14,000. Not that anyone knows for sure but there is logical math and some inside info behind these estimates. It is not a small number but in face of demand, not really that many. As long as economies are not in dire straits, demand will continue to outstrip supply for the foreseeable future.
    Totally agree ^^^

If Rolex do make the 800,000 to a 1,000,000 watches a year that people estimate and the majority of those are date justs (as they sell more of them than anything else), then 10,000 Daytona’s could well be true. Could be even less. They could probably make 10x that or even 50x that and they would still be in demand.

Mick I'm 35, if I change my pronouns will you post me your Daytona, please?

As mentioned I hope the wife's recovery is going well.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Mick I'm 35, if I change my pronouns will you post me your Daytona, please?

You'd have to shave and ditch the RL sock collection - possibly a step too far.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    You'd have to shave and ditch the RL sock collection - possibly a step too far.
    I have a couple of their ankle socks, that might work.

As for the beard, no can do. My wife said I'm only allowed to shave when I have a jawline. I could be like that woman with a beard from Eurovision?

Master
    Blog Entries

I have often thought that the oft used quip of complaining about someone you don't like by insinuating they are an alcoholic is a bit cheap.
    You don't have to be an alcoholic to get drunk, nor do I dislike you, just many of your comments.

I'll repeat my best wishes for your wife's recovery, and credit to your sensitivity. I hope she is still enjoying seeing the birds in your garden.

Master

Master
    Hi wileeeeeey / Devonian,

Sue came out of hospital on Boxing day and could only lie in her bed or sit up in a chair. The first exercise the physios gave her was to take some coins in one saucer and drop them in another about 12" away. It took her two weeks to just master picking them up let alone dropping them into another saucer.

Now she can do it almost at the same speed as me. She walks around on a walking stick and has a stroller thing for getting about outdoors. She hasn't used the wheelchair for ages.

She's banned me from the kitchen as she reckons I am more trouble than what I am worth and is slowly improving every week. We have just booked a flight to Spain for the end of August where a good dose of sun and balmy evenings will do her good.

It will be a long slog but she's slowly getting there.

Thanks for your concern

Mick

Sounds like an incredibly determined woman. Good on her. Hope the recovery continues at this speed and it's in the past soon enough.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 23rd July 2021 at 22:05.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sounds like an incredibly determined woman. Good on her. Hope the recover continues at this speed and it's in the past soon enough.
    +1
    Best wishes

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    +1
    Best wishes
    Thank you.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to your Mrs Mick….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to your Mrs Mick….
    Another thank you.

Master
    Today, I’m wearing a Daytona 116509. And what I’m doing is changing the cat litter. The cat is duly impressed. They’re all just watches, nothing more. And you can’t eat them (says Lucy).

^ Daytona for detritus - quite poetic.

60th Anniversary for the Daytona in 2023 so expect to see any non ceramic Daytona discontinued and a range refresh too…..and the attendant value spikes. Again.