closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Daytona too much to buy now …??

Craftsman
    the grey prices a few years ago at 14/15k were ok, anything towards the 20's or over is crazy IMO

WG on Oysterflex is the right way at that price

I think it’s depends how much you really want one.

Are any of the watches currently selling over retail worth the mark up. In my opinion ‘no’ but it’s where the market is at so you either pay the going rate or move on to something else.

It would appear the Market doesnt care if you think its overpriced or not

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgeme View Post
    It would appear the Market doesnt care if you think its overpriced or not

Indeed, gets more overpriced every day

Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    the grey prices a few years ago at 14/15k were ok, anything towards the 20's or over is crazy IMO

WG on Oysterflex is the right way at that price
    Good luck getting one of those at retail as well, my local AD said he'd happily trade all his Stainless Steel allocation for PM as there is so much demand now

Master
    Getting away from ‘price’ for once, I’d be cautious of the fashionable combination of gold Daytona with Oysterflex rubber
    band. Looks fine, nice and resilient, but the ‘feel’ seems wrong. A Daytona is light in weight and can feel insubstantial (to my taste). With the original design, many decades ago, the heft of the steel band really helped.
    And, of course, Oysterflex is rubber, not 18m gold. Money again…..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Getting away from ‘price’ for once, I’d be cautious of the fashionable combination of gold Daytona with Oysterflex rubber
    band. Looks fine, nice and resilient, but the ‘feel’ seems wrong. A Daytona is light in weight and can feel insubstantial (to my taste). With the original design, many decades ago, the heft of the steel band really helped.
    And, of course, Oysterflex is rubber, not 18m gold. Money again…..
    You seem to be keen on carrying about a lot of heft on your wrist !
    Oysterflex and gold Daytona does not feel particularly light to me and my daily is a Seadweller-no idea of the actual weight.
    For me the attraction of the white gold Daytona on oysterflex is the contrast with the ceramic bezel against the gold case.
    You are correct that it’s more in fashion and gives a sportier look. I don’t see that changing in the near future.
    That’s not denigrate the lovely all gold versions
    Different strokes for different folks.

Master
    It’s true that I prefer a heavier watch on my wrist, one that I’m aware of. Oddest taste perhaps, I enjoy a heavier watch moving gently around my wrist…
    Not so keen on ‘lightweight’ designs. My pet hate is bracelets too tight, especially when it’s warm. We all have our ways…..

its relatively unique for being slim. But that is all.

If it wasn't for all Newman no one would probably be interested

I would agree with others, the Ł10.5k retail price even seems slightly excessive, but I guess kinda justifiable, considering a Sub Date now retails at Ł7.3k.

Quote Originally Posted by omegamotorcyclist View Post
    its relatively unique for being slim. But that is all.

If it wasn't for all Newman no one would probably be interested
    that's a bit harsh I think...

Over the years I'm guessing quite a few of us have tried the Daytona, and quite a few got bored very quickly.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Difference between a gold and steel daytona is only about 50 grams.....noticeable but not an issue.

I am a big daytona fan tried them and fell for them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Over the years I'm guessing quite a few of us have tried the Daytona, and quite a few got bored very quickly.
    Which watches have you got that are so interesting?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Which watches have you got that are so interesting?
    Nothing boring about a Daytona ! Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I got offered Ł25k for mine, didn’t sell as I think values will continue to rise. Having said that, would I pay Ł25k for one? Absolutely not.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Not much chunk of change - a 116520 on chrono24 is now $25-30k.....I bought my mint white dial in July 2016 for Ł7k!
    To be honest I never looked how much the 116520s were listed at now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Frankly if I were a premiership footballer on Ł30k a week it’s worth a weeks wages.
    If you’re a Premier League player on Ł30k pw then you’ve probably never played for the first team! Suspect Ł100k pw is nearer the average.

I agree that it’s only at that kind of income level that it makes “sense” to pay nearly Ł30,000 for an, arguably, overpriced at list price watch.

I think any mortal like me buying at that price would have succumbed to the “greater fool” mindset.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesycake7 View Post
    I got offered Ł25k for mine, didn’t sell as I think values will continue to rise. Having said that, would I pay Ł25k for one? Absolutely not.
    But by declining to sell at 25k you have effectively paid 25k for it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    But by declining to sell at 25k you have effectively paid 25k for it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    A profit unrealised is no profit, but it aint no cost. I have thought about it for a good few minutes and cannot find any merit in your opinion, please explain.

Master
    The one obvious point in this bizarre situation is look for gold models. They retail, when new, at more than double, but sell used as little more than steel, a much (much) nicer watch to wear. Good situation unlikely to last. This is, (sorry) a ‘golden’ opportunity.
    Daft old world ain’t it!
    Buy a new Milgaus gv at retail. Then forget all the nonsense.
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th June 2021 at 22:00.

Craftsman
    A profit unrealised is no profit, but it aint no cost. I have thought about it for a good few minutes and cannot find any merit in your opinion, please explain.
    When you buy an item for Ł25k you make choice between having the item or having the Ł25k and.... you choose the item. When you decline to sell an item for Ł25k you make a choice between having the item or having the Ł25k and.... you choose the item. There is absolutely no difference whatsoever between the two scenarios. It is ridiculous to say that you wouldn’t sell a fungible good for Łx but wouldn’t buy it for Łx. Makes no sense.

Let’s say you sold the item for Ł25k and then were offered the chance to buy it back immediately. That would revert you to the start point which is precisely buying the item for Ł25k. What you once paid for the item in history is utterly irrelevant; you choose today, right now... the watch or the 25k. It doesn’t matter which side of the transaction you are on.
    Last edited by Satori; 26th June 2021 at 23:24.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I have a white face ceramic daytona. Got in when they were about Ł13k. Thought it was way too much.

Would never buy one for Ł30k today.

BUT...

I would certainly not sell it either. I love wearing it, it’s just right (for me).

Had gold daytonas before and they were never quite right, far too heavy on bracelet, always wanted to take it off. On strap better but too top heavy. Prone to dings and scratches... i can see the attraction but most people don’t keep them.

Once again, there is a reason why it’s so expensive, at the risk of sounding like a broken record: it’s just right. Think 911 2.7rs right... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    When you buy an item for Ł25k you make choice between having the item or having the Ł25k and.... you choose the item. When you decline to sell an item for Ł25k you make a choice between having the item or having the Ł25k and.... you choose the item. There is absolutely no difference whatsoever between the two scenarios. It is ridiculous to say that you wouldn’t sell a fungible good for Łx but wouldn’t buy it for Łx. Makes no sense.

Let’s say you sold the item for Ł25k and then were offered the chance to buy it back immediately. That would revert you to the start point which is precisely buying the item for Ł25k. What you once paid for the item in history is utterly irrelevant; you choose today, right now... the watch or the 25k. It doesn’t matter which side of the transaction you are on.
    So if you got a Daytona 12k and refused to sell it some years later for 25k, your saying thats the same as loosing 25k? Not at all. You have the watch and the monetary cost is 12k, by selling it for 25k you are gaining 13k and loosing a 25k watch so you are still 12k down. What the guy is saying is that he has the experiance of a Daytona for 12k and he would not give that up for 13k. Also that 12k could have been invested in something else so its cost more than that in oppertunity cost. This break even point of the watch is very important, and they guyy is saying that having the watch is worth more to him than the profit but not the current grey price. Simple enough.

If you give me 1/4 of your 1/3 …i will give you 1/2 of my 1/8th

I guess an alternative viewpoint/ perspective/ idea is that if you bought an SS Daytona for list say 10.5k then immediately chop it in for an 18k model you’ve instantly gained 15-20k and have potentially the better watch…which will also go up incrementally?..

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    If you give me 1/4 of your 1/3 …i will give you 1/2 of my 1/8th

I guess an alternative viewpoint/ perspective/ idea is that if you bought an SS Daytona for list say 10.5k then immediately chop it in for an 18k model you’ve instantly gained 15-20k and have potentially the better watch…which will also go up incrementally?..
    And if an 18k model existed with the appreciation potential of a Daytona you might be right. Its like selling your house thats increased in value. Sure you can sell and buy a better house in a maybe worse location, but you lose the benefit of living in a good location for what the market deems to be a third of the cost it should. If you dont like Daytonas anyway the point is moot sell up and take your dosh, but a lot of people love the Daytona but still dont think tis worth the current gray prices, but they aint selling their golden ticket.

And if an 18k model existed with the appreciation potential of a Daytona you might be right. Its like selling your house thats increased in value. Sure you can sell and buy a better house in a maybe worse location, but you lose the benefit of living in a good location for what the market deems to be a third of the cost it should. If you dont like Daytonas anyway the point is moot sell up and take your dosh, but a lot of people love the Daytona but still dont think tis worth the current gray prices, but they aint selling their golden ticket.
    I think what i was highlighting is ‘if’ you could buy SS at list you could have an 18k Daytona on your wrist within 24 hours which I would not consider a ‘bad neighbourhood’…

For what its worth i think a 116508 with a sensible dial choice has every chance of appreciation even if not at SS rate…

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    I think what i was highlighting is ‘if’ you could buy SS at list you could have an 18k Daytona on your wrist within 24 hours which I would not consider a ‘bad neighbourhood’…

For what its worth i think a 116508 with a sensible dial choice has every chance of appreciation even if not at SS rate…
    I would not swap my s/s ceramic daytona for any gold daytona.

Master
    So,do we rename TZ as ‘investors chronical’? Is it all about money, not watches or what people enjoy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So,do we rename TZ as ‘investors chronical’? Is it all about money, not watches or what people enjoy.
    They Daytona was always the “investment” piece.

The purpose of this thread is not that from my reading of the OP. Rather it’s would you pay 29k for it.

If you would then you either see it as a safe store of wealth, see it as an investment, or else just really like the watch and don’t mind if it drops 30 percent of there was a big bubble pop.

For me....i would prefer to be buy a 50k watch that has depreciated to 30 on the secondary market that a 11k watch that is trading for 30. Any steel Rolex is terrible terrible value horological. But for those that like the designs the market is great. But to try you can sell for what you paid at ease usually.

Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    I would not swap my s/s ceramic daytona for any gold daytona.
    neither would I Eric and I am not suggesting anyone should or would but its a mathematical possibility..which is well remarkable ..

white dial 116500 is possibly one of my favourite watches, I know Daytonas have a Marmite effect on many but I love them...

I paid Ł10k more in 2018 for a nearly new Platinum Daytona.
    That felt like good value at the time….
    Paying Ł30k for a stainless example doesn’t to me.

Hey look a lot of people are not rich enough just to buy what they like. While the value retention of watches is tedious its is important to most people and give a extra reason to purchase such a thing. I think the thread title well flagged what the content would be about, and as much as you should buy what you like, you should read what you want also. I refrain from commenting on threads I find tedious and pointless.

Master
    Only a Daytona can generate so much angst, the negative comments makes it even more desirable

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Always remember Rolex doesn't want the professional classes of doctors, architects etc. buying their products any more. That's what the Tudor brand is for.
    Rubbish, Rolex have AD's near to me in York and Hull. There are not many Musk's, Bazos', Zuckerberg's or Gates' around here. Professionals such as doctors, architects and other higher rate tax payers are exactly Rolex target audience. Tudor is aimed more at the 20-40 year olds at basic rate.

But back to the original point, I wouldn't be paying near Ł30k for a steel Daytona - I'd sooner get a Saturday job in Mappin & Webb with staff discount and first dibs on incoming stock.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Rubbish, Rolex have AD's near to me in York and Hull. There are not many Musk's, Bazos', Zuckerberg's or Gates' around here. Professionals such as doctors, architects and other higher rate tax payers are exactly Rolex target audience. Tudor is aimed more at the 20-40 year olds at basic rate.

But back to the original point, I wouldn't be paying near Ł30k for a steel Daytona - I'd sooner get a Saturday job in Mappin & Webb with staff discount and first dibs on incoming stock.
    Just FYI I know staff within the group and they don’t get “first dibs” on anything. They also get zero discount now on Rolex from what I’ve been told from several sources. Seems staff do not get any preferential treatment, and the last thing managers want is staff standing there wearing a steel Daytona or GMT Pepsi as it winds “average joe” up when they’re told “no chance” to a steel sub, yet staff are wearing even more desirable models…

Just what I’ve heard, and makes sense.
    Last edited by Nairn1980; 28th June 2021 at 21:56.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    If this is possible, I'll dedicate my weekends to working there too..

Quote Originally Posted by noms2000 View Post
    If this is possible, I'll dedicate my weekends to working there too..
    See my reply above lol

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsella1 View Post

Would you bite the bullet on these now at Ł29k Sterling

Buy the new IWC 41mm Pilot Chrono save yourself about Ł23k.

https://www.iwc.com/gb/en/watch-coll...ograph-41.html

I’ve owned 3 Daytona’s they are nice but hideously priced on the grey market. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the above watch.

Master
    Watches are no different that any other product such as houses, pens, cameras etc etc. They all are nice to use and we enjoy possessing them but they do have a value.

It is perfectly normal for a seller to want a high price and for a buyer to want a low price. The answer is either to negotiate or walk away if you don't like it.

Using the SC as some sort of hallowed ground where we all walk around loving and kissing each other and doing mates rates all the time is pure fantasy. Just pop over to the BP and you won't find much evidence of brotherly love. Strangely enough they often fall out because they think one member is screwing another member and until the day arrives when everyone ( and I mean everyone) professes love for every other member, you can kiss the idea of mates rates goodbye.

I came here in 2014 and everyone was at each others throats then, so did the good old days every really exist.

If you can't accept that some watches sell at more than RRP just walk away and spend the money on some other frippery because even if you moan here until you are blue in the face, the price will still remain over RRP.

Has spoken...

Master

Has spoken...
    So now that you think I am a fat pig, would you sell your watch to me at a discount ?

I no longer have a Daytona, as an ex owner my opinion (which is worth no more or less than anyone's) is it's one of the most overrated watches in the horological catalogue.
    The bloke in the photo is known (humorously) as "the Oracle"), he also knows everything.

Master
    I no longer have a Daytona, as an ex owner my opinion (which is worth no more or less than anyone's) is it's one of the most overrated watches in the horological catalogue.
    The bloke in the photo is known (humorously) as "the Oracle"), he also knows everything.
    Yes I do know who the Oracle is, afterall he spends a lot of time in Spain.

No just answer the question, would you sell me a watch at a knock down price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Watches are no different that any other product such as houses, pens, cameras etc etc. They all are nice to use and we enjoy possessing them but they do have a value.

It is perfectly normal for a seller to want a high price and for a buyer to want a low price. The answer is either to negotiate or walk away if you don't like it.

Using the SC as some sort of hallowed ground where we all walk around loving and kissing each other and doing mates rates all the time is pure fantasy. Just pop over to the BP and you won't find much evidence of brotherly love. Strangely enough they often fall out because they think one member is screwing another member and until the day arrives when everyone ( and I mean everyone) professes love for every other member, you can kiss the idea of mates rates goodbye.

I came here in 2014 and everyone was at each others throats then, so did the good old days every really exist.

If you can't accept that some watches sell at more than RRP just walk away and spend the money on some other frippery because even if you moan here until you are blue in the face, the price will still remain over RRP.

You make complete sense. Not many will be willing to acknowledge it.
    People are just too happy to make ‘more money than sense’ comments all day long which translated into English means ‘more disposable income’.
    I have not bought a modern Rolex over list price but if someone wants to,it is their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes I do know who the Oracle is, afterall he spends a lot of time in Spain.

No just answer the question, would you sell me a watch at a knock down price.
    It's a tough call Mick, would I sell you the watch I bought in 1994 at "mates rates", ie about Ł2500 or would I sell it at a slightly lower price than they're fetching today and be happy to have made a decent wedge?
    TBH I'd "buy the buyer", there are shit loads of hoovers on the forum and whilst you can never be 100% about people there is an obvious core of enthusiasts who are not solely in it for maximum profit.
    However the Daytona was an itch that wanted scratching at the time, the friend I sold it to likewise only kept it for a couple of years.
    Nice that you knew of "the Oracle", maybe you aren't such a stiff after all.

If I liked them I would have no problem buying a ceramic Daytona at Ł29k, and to the contrary I think they are worth every penny, what else can you wear, use, enjoy and return all your money or profit other than another Rolex, PP, AP?
    You would lose more money on an Argos Timex and probably gain more interest than any bank account or ISA and that includes an RSC service.

Yes the old naysayers saying the bubble could burst is possible, but you could find posts on here from 10 years ago with doom and gloom Rolex predictions, I reckon ceramic Daytona’s have Ł50k in them before it levels off..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Just FYI I know staff within the group and they don’t get “first dibs” on anything. They also get zero discount now on Rolex from what I’ve been told from several sources. Seems staff do not get any preferential treatment, and the last thing managers want is staff standing there wearing a steel Daytona or GMT Pepsi as it winds “average joe” up when they’re told “no chance” to a steel sub, yet staff are wearing even more desirable models…

Just what I’ve heard, and makes sense.
    That’s what annoyed me with my local Goldsmiths, condescending chap, hipster beard smuggly informing me of my chances of a Pepsi, whilst he was wearing one.

“I sold over Ł1m of Rolex, I had to ask permission to get one”, struggled to respond to me asking how when they never have any stock.

Master
    Your view on the Daytona is like Mourinho to Luke Shaw...we get it, you don’t like it, move on

Master
    I bought one in 2010 for my fortieth, waited five years on the list. I still love it and it was my first. But i wear it less and less as it like conspicuous consumption in my friends/area/social scene. It will have to go at some point,just not ready yet.