closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 1030

Thread: The Euros 2020

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Out of interest, of all the fans backing Southgate, how many would take him as next manager of their club?
    I doubt anyone in the top half of the PL would be interested in his services.
    Give Mancini that England squad and they’d have torn the competition to pieces.
    Always nice to hear the opinion of an expert.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Out of interest, of all the fans backing Southgate, how many would take him as next manager of their club?
    I doubt anyone in the top half of the PL would be interested in his services.
    Give Mancini that England squad and they’d have torn the competition to pieces.
    What rubbish. Southgate has done sterling work with the England team and has created a squad full of depth and promise. Who the hell wouldn’t want him as manager?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Always nice to hear the opinion of an expert.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    No, that is Leeds.
    Sophistication.... Sophistication.....I know all about sophistication ...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    If you look at the history of England - Scotland matches, the oldest rivalry of them all, they have played 115 matches; England have won 48, Scotland 41, and there have been 26 draws (only one of which was 0-0)

This belies the difference between the two team in terms of ranking and shows how Scotland step up to the mark against the auld enemy.
    So true. We were like men possessed defending against England that night. We can seldom replicate that motivation against other, which raises many questions for me.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    So true. We were like men possessed defending against England that night. We can seldom replicate that motivation against other, which raises many questions for me.
    Derby matches are always different though?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Derby matches are always different though?
    True but I'm not having players representing my country and picking and choosing when they give their all. If we'd shown the same focus and drive in the other games, we wouldn't have had to skulk home in shame yet again.

True but I'm not having players representing my country and picking and choosing when they give their all. If we'd shown the same focus and drive in the other games, we wouldn't have had to skulk home in shame yet again.
    There's no shame in going out in the group stages, especially for a country with a population of 5 million odd. Massive credit to the smaller countries that can compete with France, Germany, Spain and Italy - the group that usually wins the Euros and WCs.

It's a tad embarrassing not qualifying at all *cough*.

Master

I think their efforts against England took away their legs a bit for the Croatia game.
    The Czech Republic was the bad result for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I have to say that Harry Kane has all the inspirational qualities of a wet lettuce. I find him a poor captain. Little drive, determination or fire in the belly when playing for England.

Yep, he scored a couple against a very poor Ukraine, and it flattered him. He had a poor tournament overall. Just not good enough to carry baggage like that, especially when he is your captain.

Compare that to Chiellini. What a man and true inspiration.
    He didn't show much leadership during the tournament and wasn't up the the job. Amazed he was given the full 120 mins last night. I know taking him off may have been a psychological blow to the rest of the team, so maybe for that reason he shouldn't have been made captain

England only had one shot on goal the entire game. Not sure it was possessed defending really. England lost the midfield that day tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I believe this squad has a great chance of winning something in the next decade.
    I don't think we'll see many of the defence past the next European championship. Kane's 28 in a couple of weeks, so Qatar could be his last World Cup. Sterling's 27 this year, so possibly the same. After Qatar will be the time to start bringing young players into the squad, with a view to having a cohesive 'base' team for the next Euros, and a steady eye on the 2026 World Cup. I'd also note that there are a lot of players from the 2018 World Cup squad that weren't in this squad.

How long do we think Southgate will be manager for? I doubt he feels he's done all he can yet.

Talking of 2026, it's down to be hosted by Mexico, Canada and the USA. It will be interesting to see how they schedule the matches, bearing in mind travel distances and maybe even timezones.

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    He didn't show much leadership during the tournament and wasn't up the the job. Amazed he was given the full 120 mins last night. I know taking him off may have been a psychological blow to the rest of the team, so maybe for that reason he shouldn't have been made captain
    I am sure Mancini will ask your advice if he wants to win some silverware. Oh, wait
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

After the last crappy 18 months or so the Euro's brought a lot of pleasure, fun and hope to millions good game.

There's no shame in going out in the group stages, especially for a country with a population of 5 million odd. Massive credit to the smaller countries that can compete with France, Germany, Spain and Italy - the group that usually wins the Euros and WCs.

It's a tad embarrassing not qualifying at all *cough*.
    Compare with Denmark, population of 5.8 million. They can really compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Compare with Denmark, population of 5.8 million. They can really compete.
    And, on and off, Czechia, Croatia etc. (and, for example, Uruguay on the world stage) - I would be more inclined to credit those countries than suggest the rest are unexpectedly bad.

And, on and off, Czechia, Croatia etc. (and, for example, Uruguay on the world stage) - I would be more inclined to credit those countries than suggest the rest are unexpectedly bad.
    In fact, Croatia (pop 4 millions) has a fairly impressive record in WC: 3rd in 1998 and 2nd in 2018...

Scotland should aspire to be like these countries and be a real and regular competitor on the European/World stage rather than an occasional unexpected qualifier.

Is being part of the UK (with easy access to the Premier League) an advantage? I don’t know.

Grand Master
    Scotland should aspire to be like these countries and be a real and regular competitor on the European/World stage rather than an occasional unexpected qualifier.

Is being part of the UK (with easy access to the Premier League) an advantage? I don’t know.
    Look back to the 60s and 70s, Scotland produced plenty of top players who plied their trade in England and formed the backbone of some strong Scottish national sides. Nowadays Scotland doesn’t seem to produce good players in sufficient. numbers anymore. OK, its a relatively small country but that was the case in the old days too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Look back to the 60s and 70s, Scotland produced plenty of top players who plied their trade in England and formed the backbone of some strong Scottish national sides. Nowadays Scotland doesn’t seem to produce good players in sufficient. numbers anymore. OK, its a relatively small country but that was the case in the old days too.
    The constant importing of players and the breakdown of much grass roots football at schools has been a double whammy blow to the Scottish game since the early 80s.

Scotland should be punching above their weight, top two regularly in Champions/Europa league and No1 league in the world on their door step, if their youth system was up to scratch then players would progress, cream always rises as they say.

Saw pointed out yesterday that there’s 53 years of hurt, not 55!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I suppose that technically it’s only 51 years as England were still the World Cup holders until 1970!

That is a moot point now. Maybe it will be sorted out by the time it gets to three quarters of a century?

Demonstrably untrue

Sorry Ryan but it simply isn't. It's a violent, dangerous and racist city. Watch any of the videos from yesterday going around Twitter and the only voices you ever hear are Londoners. The racists and violent thugs are all white Londoners, cockney accents. If the final had been in any other English city I'd bet it would have been a celebration of football and an appreciation of what a privilege it is to host a final. We shouldn't be allowed to host such tournaments again and it's because of the actions of mostly Londoners. Sorry to be the bearer of that news but London's only a great city for those who can afford to operate above street level, thus avoiding the real London.

What a totally ridiculous statement.

Not appropriate to post in this section but I saw a video of some black guys knocking hell out of a white bloke while chanting ‘it’s coming home’.
    Last edited by Justin Case; 13th July 2021 at 12:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Scotland should be punching above their weight, top two regularly in Champions/Europa league and No1 league in the world on their door step, if their youth system was up to scratch then players would progress, cream always rises as they say.
    Agree with that
    Coaching is stuck in the 70s era
    Still way too much blood and thunder stuff even in the top leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    The penalties apart from Kane and Maguire ( a centre half!) were pretty abysmal however I was shouting for Southgate to bring on Foden and Grealish as soon as extra time started.

Foden was woefully underused IMO.
    Foden was injured for the final .
    Ah right. Shame he wasn't fit. Personally I would have used him instead Mount through the tournament.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

How can it be ridiculous when it's what I saw? Do you suggest I lie and say I saw non-white aggressors? Surely not.

I've not seen any videos to the contrary but if I do I shall immediately retract the statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    What a totally ridiculous statement.

Not appropriate to post in this section but I saw a video of some black guys knocking hell out of a white bloke while chanting ‘it’s coming home’.

Stevie G (said it a Scouse accent) has taken forward thinking coaching and tactics into the SPL and look what's happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Agree with that
    Coaching is stuck in the 70s era
    Still way too much blood and thunder stuff even in the top leagues.

Master
    Stevie G (said it a Scouse accent) has taken forward thinking coaching and tactics into the SPL and look what's happened.
    I wouldn’t judge him on winning the league as Celtic were a complete shambles and the other teams badly weakened after Covid financial hit.
    No doubting what Rangers did in progressing in Europe though which is a better marker for improvement.
    Celtic will be another shambles this year with what’s gone on so I don’t see Stevie G having much to beat.
    Might have been fun watching the Brendan Rodgers Celtic team against Stevie G team but their paths didn’t cross for long.

StevieG is little more than a figurehead. Most people who follow Scottish football know it's the unsung Michael Beale who does the heavy thinking at TRFC.
    ______

​Jim.

Jonathan Pie's take on the game.
    https://youtu.be/EI5nw1kYwdo
    Last edited by number2; 13th July 2021 at 16:04.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

In other news. Today England played Italy in the Rugby U20 6 Nations.

A great game that saw England triumph, winning the Game, the Championship and doing the Grand Slam. with Italy putting on a good show. In fact Italy came back to within 5 points during the 2nd half. Very exciting.

Man of the match was the ref - a Scottish Lass called Holly. She did an excellent job.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    In other news. Today England played Italy in the Rugby U20 6 Nations.

A great game that saw England triumph, winning the Game, the Championship and doing the Grand Slam. with Italy putting on a good show. In fact Italy came back to within 5 points during the 2nd half. Very exciting.

Man of the match was the ref - a Scottish Lass called Holly. She did an excellent job.
    Lots of other news today, does it all belong in this thread?

Craftsman
    Sourness said after the Croatia defeat “its football from another era”
    He wasn’t wrong.

Lots of other news today, does it all belong in this thread?

Very true, but not much concerning sporting events between Italy and England.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Bitingly funny and apposite as ever.

Very true, but not much concerning sporting events between Italy and England.
    Sure loads of people would be interested, why not start a new thread about it?

Right on the button as always.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Sure loads of people would be interested, why not start a new thread about it?
    No need. But why don’t you start a thread about the perceived relevance of some information within threads and who gets to decide what get posted. I am sure it would be riveting.

Friedrich Nietzsche

No need. But why don’t you start a thread about the perceived relevance of some information within threads and who gets to decide what get posted. I am sure it would be riveting.
    Yes we can post what we like, so post away. If you don't like football must make perfect sense in your mind to post about things you do in a Euros (football) thread - why not include golf or Lewis Hamilton too?

Many a true word spoken in jest, Mrs P claims it's 'exactly like you', lold.

You gotta wonder what would happen in Blighty if there is ever a genuine economic crisis, how much would it take until SA style scenes occurred. Rhetorical btw.
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th July 2021 at 12:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Many a true word spoken in jest, Mrs P claims it's 'exactly like you', lold.

You gotta wonder what would happen in Blighty if there is ever a genuine economic crisis, how much would it take until SA style scenes occurred. Rhetorical btw.
    ¿Are you ‘Cilla?
    ¿Are you ‘Cilla?
    ¿Are you Cilla in dísgíüsé?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Porchetta beats Gammon! :)

Wonder if the Italian fans will abuse and mock upset English children? Oh no they won't.

#karmawins #songsanbrexiteers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Was there ever an apology for this racism?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Was there ever an apology for this racism?
    I really cannot see how this is racist in any way whatsoever - unless somehow you are implying that the thugs who stormed the stadium, pissed in the streets, laughed at a distressed German child and generally ransacked Central London deserve some kind of niceties? If being against these people and their behaviour is racist then I guess I must be. Obviously I wasn't being racist against all English as I myself am English. So I'm not sure where you are going with this one.

As an aside I watched the England vs Pakistan T20 tonight (cracking game) and it was wonderful to see fans having a great time, unsegregated, no problems. That's what I'd love to see at England football games (you do get close to it at some premier league clubs so it isn't all football fans by a long stretch). International rugby as well has enjoyable banter between fans

I really cannot see how this is racist in any way whatsoever - unless somehow you are implying that the thugs who stormed the stadium, pissed in the streets, laughed at a distressed German child and generally ransacked Central London deserve some kind of niceties? If being against these people and their behaviour is racist then I guess I must be. Obviously I wasn't being racist against all English as I myself am English. So I'm not sure where you are going with this one.

As an aside I watched the England vs Pakistan T20 tonight (cracking game) and it was wonderful to see fans having a great time, unsegregated, no problems. That's what I'd love to see at England football games (you do get close to it at some premier league clubs so it isn't all football fans by a long stretch). International rugby as well has enjoyable banter between fans

I hope you realise that England football fans don’t all wee in the streets and abuse upset German girls?

And not all England football fans voted for Brexit. By ca. 50%.

Calling white English people Gammons is racist.

“Stop Racism” indeed.

I hope you realise that England football fans don’t all wee in the streets and abuse upset German girls?

And not all England football fans voted for Brexit. By ca. 50%.

Calling white English people Gammons is racist.

“Stop Racism” indeed.
    I'm a white English person btw. I really think you have the wrong end of the stick here. Obviously I wasn't referring to all English people (again I am one). Some of these people let our country down with their violence and then their vile racism on social media. Of course this is a minority of people. I don't think I said anything to the contrary

If I have an apology it is that I shouldn't have put the Brexit hashtag in the G&D as no politics allowed. The rest of it I think you've put 2 and 2 together and come up with a huge number.

Last edited by ryanb741; 17th July 2021 at 00:19.

I'm a white English person btw. I really think you have the wrong end of the stick here. Obviously I wasn't referring to all English people (again I am one). Some of these people let our country down with their violence and then their vile racism on social media. Of course this is a minority of people. I don't think I said anything to the contrary

If I have an apology it is that I shouldn't have put the Brexit hashtag in the G&D as no politics allowed. The rest of it I think you've put 2 and 2 together and come up with a huge number.

No, you tarred all English fans with the same brush.

The Euros 2020

No, you tarred all English fans with the same brush.
    Unfortunately this is what happens. Just like people criticise Muslims for not cleaning their house from extremists, football fans are blamed for the actions of a few.
    A few that is a large enough number to make all the wrong headlines the morning after a game.
    The strange thing is that in other sports it is a much, much more marginal affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The strange thing is that in other sports it is a much, much more marginal affair.
    Not that strange is it. Look at its origins, who played it, who follow it and some of the politics/religious overtones that surround it. For some it’s not just a game it’s something that defines who they are and what they believe.

If you were generous you might claim it as “passion”, if you were less generous you might define it as tribal or worse.

The upsides is nothing that occurred last week is unique to English Football and it seems to be getting better compared to the 1960’s, 1970’s, etc, but to suggest that the toxic relationship between clubs like Everton/Liverpool, Man City/Utd, Chelsea/Palace, Celtic/Rangers, Madrid/Barca, the Milan’s/Juve, etc, etc will ever be resolved is just nuts. To much history and to much bigotry..

Friedrich Nietzsche

In a slight defence of Ryan I think that the idea that it is only a small minority of society, and particularly football fans, that is racist is quite wide of the mark. It might be a minority but it’s a minority of millions. Even the media seems to be quoting a figure of 1,900 odd racist social media posts after the final directed at the players but, as I think I said before, I was watching them pile up with my daughter after the game and Saka had at least 30k in the first half an hour alone, maybe the people counting were only looking for certain words and not emojis.
    The whole booing of the taking the knee seemed to start at Millwall and the justification given was that it was a protest by politically aware fans against the political aims of the BLM movement. A few years ago, less than five, I was “entertained” at the Den, the opposition had a couple of black players that were subjected to monkey noises and other racist abuse by a clear majority of fans in the stadium. Afterwards I asked the person who took me what he thought of it and how he thought his own teams black players would feel and his response was “they’re ok, they’re still f***ing monkeys but they’re our f***ing monkeys.” The idea that the fans of that particular club are political intellectuals is a joke, they are racist thugs pure and simple.
    I think that the actual number of people in society that are openly racist may be a significant minority, but when you add in those that go along with it, laugh about it, share the racist memes or don’t see it as a problem and act on it you probably then reach a majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    In a slight defence of Ryan I think that the idea that it is only a small minority of society, and particularly football fans, that is racist is quite wide of the mark. It might be a minority but it’s a minority of millions. Even the media seems to be quoting a figure of 1,900 odd racist social media posts after the final directed at the players but, as I think I said before, I was watching them pile up with my daughter after the game and Saka had at least 30k in the first half an hour alone, maybe the people counting were only looking for certain words and not emojis.
    The whole booing of the taking the knee seemed to start at Millwall and the justification given was that it was a protest by politically aware fans against the political aims of the BLM movement. A few years ago, less than five, I was “entertained” at the Den, the opposition had a couple of black players that were subjected to monkey noises and other racist abuse by a clear majority of fans in the stadium. Afterwards I asked the person who took me what he thought of it and how he thought his own teams black players would feel and his response was “they’re ok, they’re still f***ing monkeys but they’re our f***ing monkeys.” The idea that the fans of that particular club are political intellectuals is a joke, they are racist thugs pure and simple.
    I think that the actual number of people in society that are openly racist may be a significant minority, but when you add in those that go along with it, laugh about it, share the racist memes or don’t see it as a problem and act on it you probably then reach a majority.
    Very much agreed. The notion that the booing directed at taking the knee is politically motivated is frankly errant nonsense of the highest order. No doubt many participants will try to claim the moral high ground on that basis, though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th July 2021 at 13:25.