closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Euros 2020

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    And yet he made us qualify for the first time in 23 years. Strachan had his chance.
    Lol
    If UEFA hadn’t changed the tournament size we wouldn’t have been there. Scrapped through on penalties after going through the losers groups, just!
    We have the nucleus of a really good team that Clarke will ruin.
    Might be okay for you to stick your see you Jimmy bonnet on and watch us get scudded every game we play, I’m looking for more than that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    Lol
    If UEFA hadn’t changed the tournament size we wouldn’t have been there. Scrapped through on penalties after going through the losers groups, just!
    We have the nucleus of a really good team that Clarke will ruin.
    Might be okay for you to stick your see you Jimmy bonnet on and watch us get scudded every game we play, I’m looking for more than that.
    He has done enough to get this qualifying campaign.
    We have a half decent midfield -though ruthlessly taken apart by the technically gifted Croatians.
    We don't have centre backs(Hanley might be good enough)
    Right back is a problem unless Paterson displaces Tavernier at Rangers and plays regularly
    No goalscorer-Adams was rank against Croatia
    Goalkeeper is another area of concern andit would have been nice if MacGregor had made himself available.

We are in a better position than a few years ago yes but still way short in key areas.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    He has done enough to get this qualifying campaign.
    We have a half decent midfield -though ruthlessly taken apart by the technically gifted Croatians.
    We don't have centre backs(Hanley might be good enough)
    Right back is a problem unless Paterson displaces Tavernier at Rangers and plays regularly
    No goalscorer-Adams was rank against Croatia
    Goalkeeper is another area of concern andit would have been nice if MacGregor had made himself available.

We are in a better position than a few years ago yes but still way short in key areas.
    It is no good having a half decent midfield when the ball is getting launched from defence to attack. McGinn is the main man at Villa so let’s bypass him and go straight to the forwards.
    We have good young players, Gilmore, Turnbull, Patterson that are far better than what is getting picked.
    As for the keeper, both Gordon and McLaughin are better keepers than Marshall who hasn’t played first team football for 5 months after getting dropped at Derby, there is no room in international football for loyalty
    Loyalty gets you sacked in football it just takes a wee bit longer in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyexplorer View Post
    ...As for the keeper, both Gordon and McLaughin are better keepers than Marshall who hasn’t played first team football for 5 months after getting dropped at Derby, there is no room in international football for loyalty...
    David Marshall played 33 first team games for his club in season 2020/21. He's played 13 times for Derby since 01.01.20 & his last first team appearance for his club was on 20.04.21. That's not five months ago. He's played 13 times for Scotland this season.

Jon McLaughlin played 14 first team games for his club in season 2020/21. The majority of them were when McGregor was injured or suspended. He has two caps, the last in 2018. He's been on the bench so often he must have skelfs in his bahooky.

Craig Gordon? In 2020/21 he made 32 appearances - 3 caps & 29 for his club in the second tier of Scottish football.

That indicates that Scotland hadn't a wealth of fit (or available) goalies to choose from. Clarke made his decision; that's what he's paid to do.
    ______

​Jim.

Hmmm, is this a Euros 2020 thread? Or, an ex-Euros 2020 thread? 🤣

Master
    Enjoyed Wales v Denmark quite a bit. Would have been nice if they'd maintained the proper British stiff upper lip and taken their beating like men, instead of spitting their dummies out in the last ten minutes.

Wales getting pumped by Denmark highlights Italy's true level as Italy romped a very weak group and as it stands they are looking pretty ordinary vs Austria.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I thought the refereeing and the use of VAR up till now had been quite good, the ref today for the Wales game was poor. Never a sending off and the use of VAR for the 4th goal took far to long, he is either on side or off, shouldn’t take that long.

Agree the Wales red was harsh, probably not even a yellow

Craftsman
    Euros burst into life today, 14 goals scored in 2 great matches. Route to the final is opening if England be bold against the Germans

Craftsman
    Aaaaand auddenly it's wide open. Netherlands, Portugal & now France (!) out. I don't give us any chance of doing well, but then as soon as I type that, I start feeling that familiar glimmer of utterly misguided hope.

It's the hope that kills you with England.

Master
    Pogba doing what Pogba does: score a great goal then dither on the ball in midfield and ship away a goal

Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post
    Aaaaand auddenly it's wide open. Netherlands, Portugal & now France (!) out. I don't give us any chance of doing well, but then as soon as I type that, I start feeling that familiar glimmer of utterly misguided hope.

It's the hope that kills you with England.
    On our day we can lose to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Pogba doing what Pogba does: score a great goal then dither on the ball in midfield and ship away a goal

That goal was sublime , then he had to start his dickhead dance . Some of his play last night was brilliant .
    Such a pity because there’s a fantastic footballer in there somewhere . He’s cheated United for years and will probably continue to do so with an improved contract .

On to today’s game , I’m fully expecting the waistcoat to go gung ho , play five at the back , isolating Foden /Mount and hoping to get Germany to penalties.
    My team
    Pickford.
    Walker
    Maguire
    Stones
    Trippier
    Rice
    Mount
    Foden
    Grealish
    Sterling
    Kane .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    That goal was sublime , then he had to start his dickhead dance . Some of his play last night was brilliant .
    Such a pity because there’s a fantastic footballer in there somewhere . He’s cheated United for years and will probably continue to do so with an improved contract .
    Completely agree.

Unless tactical dezinformatsiya, looks like

Pickford
    Trippier
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Shaw
    Phillips
    Rice
    Foden
    Sterling
    Kane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Pickford
    Trippier
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Shaw
    Phillips
    Rice
    Foden
    Sterling
    Kane

I'd have had Saka ahead of Foden. Not sure what Phillips brings to the team though

The Euros 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'd have had Saka ahead of Foden. Not sure what Phillips brings to the team though
    Whilst Phillips had a great game against Croatia, he is not the world beater people were making him out to be. Might be time for Henderson to come in to fill that role if fit

Craftsman
    I would too.

There was an interesting discussion about playing our forwards that can potentially break down a high line German defence. Kane would not be a good option for that as he is too slow.
    Be interesting to see what the team does look like, but I think Gareth will choose Kane despite his terrible peformance over the last couple of matches.

I realise every Tottenham supporter will say, yeah but he needs good fed passes from midfield. I agree with this, but if that can't happen you change your front man.

Apparently England have never won a knockout game at the Euro's. I hope you guys aren't putting money on England winning on 1. that basis and 2. you're playing Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Pickford
    Trippier
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Shaw
    Phillips
    Rice
    Foden
    Sterling
    Kane

Trippier, Walker and Shaw? What formation are you expecting because I can't see it being three at the back + wing backs?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Trippier, Walker and Shaw? What formation are you expecting because I can't see it being three at the back + wing backs?
    Sources just internet chatter, but that’s what I read, three CBs, Walker being one, two WBs. Not convinced due to problems of getting ball forward through midfield unless the plan is to get the WBs forward and get to Germany’s defence from the sides.

Not sure what Germany’s real strengths and weaknesses are.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Apparently England have never won a knockout game at the Euro's. I hope you guys aren't putting money on England winning on 1. that basis and 2. you're playing Germany.
    Spain 1996?

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Spain 1996?
    Technically a draw

Exactly, our record at the Euros is pretty appalling.

If we win today it would be our best result in a knock out game of any major competition since 1966. Fans need to realise this before considering England as favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Exactly, our record at the Euros is pretty appalling.

If we win today it would be our best result in a knock out game of any major competition since 1966. Fans need to realise this before considering England as favourites.
    I don’t think Germany are as strong as they were and England have a very good chance. Remember Germany were minutes from going out in the group stages and England were top of the group.

It will be close but I do think England are slight favourites; it’s only because it’s Germany that it’s in doubt, had it been Hungary, there wouldn’t have been any doubt as to the favourite team to progress.

Technically a draw
    To be fair I would have given you that, however, UEFA competitions define penalty shoot outs' as you say, a draw.
    Last edited by zippy; 29th June 2021 at 15:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I don’t think Germany are as strong as they were and England have a very good chance. Remember Germany were minutes from going out in the group stages and England were top of the group.

It will be close but I do think England are slight favourites; it’s only because it’s Germany that it’s in doubt, had it been Hungary, there wouldn’t have been any doubt as to the favourite team to progress.
    Germany had a very poor team in 2002 (remember the 5-1 win for England in 2001) but they still made the World Cup final.

This German team is still very dangerous as the Portugal game showed and I'm worried where our goals will come from in the system Southgate is persevering with. Hope I'm wrong.

To be fair I would have given you that, however, UEFA competitions define penalty shoot outs' as you say, a draw.
    I think that's a fairly narrow definition of a draw, but regardless, they 'won' that game and progressed to the semi-finals. Spain went home.

I actually had tickets for all of the group games held at Elland Road in that competition.

England are huge favourites. 45000 at wembley against a sub par Germany?

It was in the knockout stages and we won, progressing to the next round.

Technically a draw

Looks like it is Tony, three CBs plus Shaw and Trippier.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It was in the knockout stages and we won, progressing to the next round.
    A penalty shoot out is just a way of settling a drawn match so that one team progresses. That is why Fifa correctly don't consider it as a win. We didn't score in 120 minutes and Spain were unlucky as they incorrectly had a goal ruled out for offside.

Just seen the team 5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders. How are the front 3 supposed to get any service?

Germany had a very poor team in 2002 (remember the 5-1 win for England in 2001) but they still made the World Cup final.

This German team is still very dangerous as the Portugal game showed and I'm worried where our goals will come from in the system Southgate is persevering with. Hope I'm wrong.
    I can’t disagree with anything you’ve written there and, whilst Germany say that England is just another team to beat, they usually bring their A game. Particularly in competition games.

I hope England win it but, like everybody else probably, I’m expecting to be disappointed tonight!

What a defensive line up! We are Stoke City

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Looks like it is Tony, three CBs plus Shaw and Trippier.
    Just seen the team 5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders. How are the front 3 supposed to get any service?
    Shocking decision. No Grealish or Foden (or Mount for that matter) either, so devoid of midfield creativity and another match in which Harry will struggle to get any service.

This should have been a win for us, but now I very much doubt it (although I'll be delighted to be proven wrong).

We’re doomed…

Southgate = lacks ambition, courage and ideas

What on earth is he thinking with that team choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scary
    He’s an absolute coward .
    7 defenders , no midfield and a front three consisting of two out of sorts players .
    If England somehow win, he will be hailed from the highest platform until someone else puts them out .
    Already been promised a new contract going forward .

Tonight's starting formation

The Euros 2020

Gareth has realised that often the way to win these tournaments is by grinding out results, and this has been his approach from the start. It was never gonna change now we have hit the knockouts! Going squarely for the 1-0 win, or 0-0 and hope to fluke the penalties. It’s either tactical genius, or a really dull way to go out

Master
    Fun poll for the TZ community. How would those from the UK, but outside of Engerlund, like to see the result of this afternoon's match?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Fun poll for the TZ community. How would those from the UK, but outside of Engerlund, like to see the result of this afternoon's match?

I asked my Italian and Dutch colleagues. They want both teams to lose!

This is the sort of match that will have Alan Hanson creaming his pants.

BTW does Harry Kane currently have Covid?

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post

I’m watching it but commentary off. Vomit inducing this commentary.

Blog Entries
    I asked my Italian and Dutch colleagues. They want both teams to lose!

We (Dutch) always want to see Germany defeated. We're normally pretty neutral towards England. Now, with Holland out, we're rooting for Denmark and Belgium. (Personally, the Swiss stole my heart last night!).

M

Phillips off, Foden on. Red card-in-waiting otherwise.

Edit Kane off as well FFS. What a melt

Kane - best striker in the country!

This is going exactly as I expected..we've not created much and the Germans will nick it by the odd goal.

Phillips is a donkey BTW. He needs to go off before he sees red.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    This is going exactly as I expected..we've not created much and the Germans will nick it by the odd goal.

Phillips is a donkey BTW. He needs to go off before he sees red.
    Agree. And Kane is a passenger. Get him off too. He'd not get near the Man City starting XI on this form.