closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Euros 2020

It's going better than I expected but we can't bank on the Germans not scoring.

Good. Harry can stay at Spurs and carry on winning the golden boot with us. That’ll be because we give him decent service, of course.

I do agree with Foden for Philips, though.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good. Harry can stay at Spurs and carry on winning the golden boot with us. That’ll be because we give him decent service, of course.

I do agree with Foden for Philips, though.
    Yes fair enough. Kane plays with better players at Spurs than he does for England. Same applies to Foden. Only Saka is playing with better players for England than he does for his club!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    First half sum up ZZZZzzzz snore fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    This is going exactly as I expected..we've not created much and the Germans will nick it by the odd goal.

Phillips is a donkey BTW. He needs to go off before he sees red.
    You’re wrong, we’ve got extra time and penalties to endure befits we’re knocked out!

Phillips is the only one making passes that look anything like dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You’re wrong, we’ve got extra time and penalties to endure befits we’re knocked out!

Phillips is the only one making passes that look anything like dangerous!
    Agree but he is a red card walking

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Agree but he is a red card walking

Agreed, he needs to come off for that reason.

Pickford’s playing well!

Yes fair enough. Kane plays with better players at Spurs than he does for England. Same applies to Foden. Only Saka is playing with better players for England than he does for his club!

Agreed.

(Clue for TGD: I was being sarcastic. Just like Ryan was.)
    Last edited by learningtofly; 4th July 2021 at 10:53.

As Micky Flanagan might say, Germany ain’t out, they’re out out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    We (Dutch) always want to see Germany defeated. We're normally pretty neutral towards England. Now, with Holland out, we're rooting for Denmark and Belgium. (Personally, the Swiss stole my heart last night!).

M

Nice!!! And the end of Löw. (Dutch Football Association is looking for a new manager after sacking Frank de Boer this afternoon).

(Best Twitter-text I read about Frank de Boer: "With a red card AND 1-0 behind... Weghorst and Promes as substitutes is like having your house on fire and calling hospital clowns for help").

Didn’t I always say that waistcoat was a tactical genius?
    Germany being worse at football than England was a massive boost .

Great result and that goal should make Harry Kane feel much more confident going forward.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Brilliant result, but let’s be honest it was another tough watch. The only players willing to take a risk and break the lines were Shaw and Sterling. Match defo turned on the muller chance.

Also great to see the continued lack of VAR sh*t housery in this tournament - Kane’s goal would have been disallowed in the prem once the rulers came out. How come the premier league make such a dogs dinner of VAR when uefa make it look so easy?

Pickford kept us in it and surely Grealish has to start the next game...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    Brilliant result, but let’s be honest it was another tough watch. The only players willing to take a risk and break the lines were Shaw and Sterling. Match defo turned on the muller chance.

Also great to see the continued lack of VAR sh*t housery in this tournament - Kane’s goal would have been disallowed in the prem once the rulers came out. How come the premier league make such a dogs dinner of VAR when uefa make it look so easy?
    To me it doesn't really matter if it's a hard watch if they win 2-0. You're bang on about VAR👍

Sterling is totally unappreciated by England fans. Our best player by a mile

Agree, he's been the key man this tournament and his impact in 2018 was under appreciated.

A lot of what he does goes unnoticed when he’s not getting the ball. He played a great game today.

Hopefully Kane will start scoring now he’s broken his duck.

Who do we think we’ll be playing on Saturday?

I’m going with Sweden.

I'd dispute that Spurs have better players than England. A lot of that England squad would walk straight into the Spurs 11.

Master
    Measured performance and great result. I was surprised with the five at the back and change of approach. But credit to waistcoar, it seemed to work. If it didn't I am sure there would be uproar form all, we are fickle!

Master
    I guess it was in the script. We just seem to be a more can-do, winning nation on the international stage these days. Especially nice that France and Germany are both out now.

Loved last night, it felt like it was not just about beating Germany but almost like a huge step forward towards the old life before Covid, seeing the fans loosing their minds was just brilliant.

Is it coincidence or have we got better at the international game since Brexit?

I don't know if anyone can help, but I'm struggling to work out which one of the BBC commentary team is Jurgen Klinsmann.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    I'd dispute that Spurs have better players than England. A lot of that England squad would walk straight into the Spurs 11.
    Totally agree. Kane looks out of sorts and frankly put very little effort into closing the ball down when he had a chance to contribute. I wish Vardy was in the squad, he always makes himself busy, Kane needs to step it up.

Craftsman
    Game changed when Grealish came on, has to start Saturday.

Brilliant!!

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    As Micky Flanagan might say, Germany ain’t out, they’re out out.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Totally agree. Kane looks out of sorts and frankly put very little effort into closing the ball down when he had a chance to contribute. I wish Vardy was in the squad, he always makes himself busy, Kane needs to step it up.
    Agree that Kane looks out of sorts, not sure whether Vardy would be the right choice (he's getting on a bit) but for me Kane shouldn't be starting, he's contributing v. little, he looks slow and unfit to me.

As a Leeds fan I've been impressed with Bamford this season, initially I laughed when he was mentioned as a potential England player but I can`t help thinking he'd be more of an asset to this team than Kane at the moment! Ultimately I think Bamford lacks the physicality to be a top striker but his work rate and the runs he makes are outstanding. Rightly or wrongly he didn`t get picked, but I could've seen him doing a good job last night and creating far more threat than Kane.

Having the main striker as captain is questionable, it almost makes him un-droppable, but in Kane's case I think that needs to happen. Yes, he took the goal well, but that was about all he did. Southgate needs to make the tough decision, I don`t see how the one goal can mitigate against Kane's overall performance.

Onto Kalvin Philips (Leeds boy!), much as I like him I worry about the free kicks he gives away and the likelihood of yellow cards, to echo a previous comment he's a red card waiting to happen if a referee takes a dim view of his 'robust' style. However, I think he should stay in the side, his passing ability is excellent and he's doing a good job for England in the role he's being asked to play.

Onwards and upwards, we'll see what Saturday brings. I'm old enough to remember 1966 ( I was 8) and it's high time England reached a major final again.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 30th June 2021 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Agree that Kane looks out of sorts, not sure whether Vardy would be the right choice (he's getting on a bit) but for me Kane shouldn't be starting, he's contributing v. little, he looks slow and unfit to me.

As a Leeds fan I've been impressed with Bamford this season, initially I laughed when he was mentioned as a potential England player but I can`t help thinking he'd be more of an asset to this team than Kane at the moment! Ultimately I think Bamford lacks the physicality to be a top striker but his work rate and the runs he makes are outstanding. Rightly or wrongly he didn`t get picked, but I could've seen him doing a good job last night and creating far more threat than Kane.

Having the main striker as captain is questionable, it almost makes him un-droppable, but in Kane's case I think that needs to happen. Yes, he took the goal well, but that was about all he did. Southgate needs to make the tough decision, I don`t see how the one goal can mitigate against Kane's overall performance.

Onto Kalvin Philips (Leeds boy!), much as I like him I worry about the free kicks he gives away and the likelihood of yellow cards, to echo a previous comment he's a red card waiting to happen if a referee takes a dim view of his 'robust' style. However, I think he should stay in the side, his passing ability is excellent and he's doing a good job for England in the role he's being asked to play.

Onwards and upwards, we'll see what Saturday brings. I'm old enough to remember 1966 ( I was 8) and it's high time England reached a major final again.
    The referees have been excellent in this tournament and allowed a lot of 'robust' action which has also meant better games. Look at the stats and Kalvin was one of our better players last night.

I would like to see a bit of squad rotation in the next game - we have a deep squad and an opportunity to give a few a rest. Ukraine will be exhausted so time to stretch and run at them with our pace.

I agree but Southgate won't do it, he's far too conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The referees have been excellent in this tournament and allowed a lot of 'robust' action which has also meant better games. Look at the stats and Kalvin was one of our better players last night.

I would like to see a bit of squad rotation in the next game - we have a deep squad and an opportunity to give a few a rest. Ukraine will be exhausted so time to stretch and run at them with our pace.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I agree but Southgate won't do it, he's far too conservative.
    Would love to see Sancho get a chance, take the pressure off Sterling from being the only bit of genuine pace and trickery in the entire team. Apparently the Germans couldn’t believe he wasn’t playing last night.

It’s all so slow and deliberate with Kane ambling around up front, if we had more pace and movement around him he might get more chances. But we are going along quite nicely, so he won’t change style now

Congrats to the English team! Maybe they meet Belgium....?

Here, my foot watch:

Last edited by Jo Hande; 30th June 2021 at 12:19. Reason: spelling ...

Taken from a french newspaper, and have put it in English...

sorry...

Kane was involved in the build up to the first goal and scored the second. Not a bad return for a striker.

It's amazing that players like Foden and Sancho can't even get on the pitch but they need to show that they can recreate their club form for England.

Exactly, our record at the Euros is pretty appalling.

If we win today it would be our best result in a knock out game of any major competition since 1966. Fans need to realise this before considering England as favourites.
    Didn't England finish 4th in the 2018 WC?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Kane was involved in the build up to the first goal and scored the second. Not a bad return for a striker.
    The Kane comments on here are cracking me up. Hilarious.

Is it just me or has football turned into a very rough nasty game, i only watch the major international comps but i dont ever remember seeing it this bad.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Is it just me or has football turned into a very rough nasty game, i only watch the major international comps but i dont ever remember seeing it this bad.
    I've noticed that - Portugal in particular, it has to be said (nasty lot IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    Didn't England finish 4th in the 2018 WC?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Yes absolutely, I meant the best result in terms of who we were playing. 2018 was great but we had an easier route to the Semis. Even in 1990 we didn't play a top side in the knockout stages until Germany.

We hadn't beaten a top side in a knockout game in a major tournament since 1966 until last night (Spain 1996 doesn't count as penalties were needed). If England are to have any chance of getting to a final or better we have to start showing that we can defeat the top sides in the knockout games. That is why last night was the best result since 1966 in my opinion.

The Euros 2020

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Maybe you are too young to remember the days of Ron Harris, Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter (well the whole Leeds team), Marco Tardelli, Claudio Gentille……

Nobby Stiles was a real gentleman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Maybe you are too young to remember the days of Ron Harris, Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter (well the whole Leeds team), Marco Tardelli, Claudio Gentille……

Nobby Stiles was a real gentleman.

Socksrolled down to show they meant business!

Quite a bit of pressure on UEFA (from Italy in particular) to move the Wembley games away from England due to Delta meaning that foreign fans are unable to enter the UK to watch matches live(and vice versa)

That was always going to happen and it's understandable.

Quite a bit of pressure on UEFA (from Italy in particular) to move the Wembley games away from England due to Delta meaning that foreign fans are unable to enter the UK to watch matches live(and vice versa)

Craftsman
    I would think there are plenty of Italians in Britain that could take up their allocation for the semis and final, and whatever other nationality that gets there.

Master
    This review from a football website is about right - not good enough...6/10

Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) The relief was palpable as he raced away to celebrate England's second goal of the game and his first of a tournament that looked to be going horribly wrong. The captain was a non-entity for most of the opening half, touching the ball twice in first 35 minutes and he then saw his chance to score go wayward following a heavy first touch that allowed Mats Hummels to get back and in the way with Neuer beaten. Kane then took a bang to a knee early in the second half, requiring treatment, but persisted without making any impact on proceedings until linking play well in the build up to Sterling's goal and then getting on the end of Jack Grealish's centre. 6

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I don't know if anyone can help, but I'm struggling to work out which one of the BBC commentary team is Jurgen Klinsmann.

He's the guy leaning on railings, centre right....

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    He's the guy leaning on railings, centre right....
    You don't really get jokes, do you?

Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur) The relief was palpable as he raced away to celebrate England's second goal of the game and his first of a tournament that looked to be going horribly wrong. The captain was a non-entity for most of the opening half, touching the ball twice in first 35 minutes and he then saw his chance to score go wayward following a heavy first touch that allowed Mats Hummels to get back and in the way with Neuer beaten. Kane then took a bang to a knee early in the second half, requiring treatment, but persisted without making any impact on proceedings until linking play well in the build up to Sterling's goal and then getting on the end of Jack Grealish's centre. 6
    Blah, blah, blah... meanwhile there’s barely a club in the world that wouldn’t have him in their starting line-up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Blah, blah, blah... meanwhile there’s barely a club in the world that wouldn’t have him in their starting line-up.
    You must be a Spurs fan as everyone neutral can see he is having a poor tournament and contributing well below the level he is capable of. Reputations don't win matches, performances do, as a manager I would buy Kane ahead of Sterling every time, but if I had to pick between them for the next match Sterling has done a LOT more for the team and others deserve a chance instead of Kane.

You must be a Spurs fan as everyone neutral can see he is having a poor tournament and contributing well below the level he is capable of. Reputations don't win matches, performances do, as a manager I would buy Kane ahead of Sterling every time, but if I had to pick between them for the next match Sterling has done a LOT more for the team and others deserve a chance instead of Kane.
    Two very different players. Kane isn’t having a good tournament because he’s not getting the service. England started with so many defensive midfielders he’s hardly in the game. Most of the first half England were passing sideways and backwards. How’s he supposed to be involved? It’s no surprise that Kane became involved more once Grealish was on the pitch. If I had one small criticism of him he looks slow at times.
    Sterling is being given the ball more and runs at defenders, something Kane doesn’t do. If England want to get the best of Jane they need attacking midfielders playing who will give him more service.

Not a Spurs fan by the way.

Craftsman

Sums it up for me but also hoping it may kickstart his form again