closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: The Euros 2020

Master
    was a good final... Italy playing their worst match of the tournament and England showing occasional moments of great counter plays with no one to finish.

England bottled it. Northing new.

I’d like to see a couple of changes in how England approach things. Kane goes to ground 8/10 times he’s tackled - has he got a balance disorder . He’s not alone though - I felt that although England played some good football in the tournament there was a very visible trend towards continual diving and basically cheating. I thought England had moved on from that?

Secondly as a Scotland fan I’m painfully aware of the shortcomings of sitting too deep and letting good teams come at you. I sat there shaking my head as I watched England retreat deeper and deeper into their half and hoping to hang on. The only surprise to me was that you managed to take it to penalties.

I can believe people are comparing English Cities lol.

They are all violent with their fair share of psychopaths.

I knew people who lived in Preston, Manchester and Gloucester and they couldnt leave there quick enough after getting a taste of how many sick creeps there were there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Sorry Ryan but it simply isn't. It's a violent, dangerous and racist city.
    Should you not read that again and realise what total rubbish that is.

And we can say this as an a European - East European family who live in London.

Anyhow

Forza Azzurri! - Italy were fantastic. England should have tried to win the game in the second half- tactics should have changed to take the game back to Italy.

Again, I never said they were a hotbed of racism, I said the scenes I'd viewed of thuggery and racism were all accents of those areas. That's very different and factual. However, I genuinely don't believe that those scenes would have occurred in any other city than London. That's my opinion.

And those scenes would not have happened had the final been played in most other major footballing cities in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

Trying to suggest that London, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Herefordshire are hotbeds of racism and that they were the source of the racism at the game does you a disservice.

So you don't think it's a dangerous or violent city? I'm pretty sure The Met would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Should you not read that again and realise what total rubbish that is.

And we can say this as an a European - East European family who live in London.

Anyhow

Forza Azzurri! - Italy were fantastic. England should have tried to win the game in the second half- tactics should have changed to take the game back to Italy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I can believe people are comparing English Cities lol.

They are all violent with their fair share of psychopaths.

I knew people who lived in Preston, Manchester and Gloucester and they couldnt leave there quick enough after getting a taste of how many sick creeps there were there.
    There are idiots everywhere

but

Wembley is in London

It is not difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    First it was "Londoners" and "cockney" now it's "London and South East".

Next it'll be anyone south of Birmingham.
    I think he's doing what Londoners have done for years and lumped everything from Watford Gap up as 'the Norf'

Craftsman
    So you don't think it's a dangerous or violent city? I'm pretty sure The Met would disagree.
    I live a perfectly peaceful life here. The place is not without issues but as many a big city in the world (and in the UK).

If you are open minded life is easier.

Exactly, remember that nothing exists but wasteland outside of London.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I think he's doing what Londoners have done for years and lumped everything from Watford Gap up as 'the Norf'

Master
    Kane had a disappointing tournament overall for me and being captain ends up un-droppable. Even the last WC he was only golden boot due to the amount of penalties. It seems like either the England team don't play to his strengths or he doesn't fit the way they play that well compared to Tottenham. Him dropping short so much means we never really keep the oppo honest and he has no pace to play on through balls. We lack that goal poacher to make the most of the half chances. He is generally v good at penalties though :-)

Master
    id like to know what mental prep, professional psychological input the English team have for tournaments. If we go into tournaments with everyone joking we will fail at penalties and curses etc we are setting our team up to fail.

the English mindset while taking a pen is "what will happen if I miss" where as it needs to be" what will happen when we win"

TBF I've been guilty of that more than a few times.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post
    id like to know what mental prep, professional psychological input the English team have for tournaments. If we go into tournaments with everyone joking we will fail at penalties and curses etc we are setting our team up to fail.

the English mindset while taking a pen is "what will happen if I miss" where as it needs to be" what will happen when we win"
    Hence, pick a spot, don't change your mind and just hit it. The slow run up stutter type just make you have to change your mind if the goalie does not do what you want and often those kicks have no power either. Much better in my view to just lessen the variables as best you can.

A pity we’re not known for the tolerance of the American Samoans.

https://youtu.be/_S4C2nQZlSA

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I think England did really well getting to the final and they look a far better team than we've seen in many years. They're young, keen and with Southgate at the helm I think they'll go on from strength to strength.

R
    I agree and as a person who enjoys the spectacle, challenge and skills involved in professional sport, I am not knowledgable of tactics etc, nor profess to be, but the reality is that however great and superior the Italian side were -
    they could not beat England in 120 mins of play.
    (I also agree that Italy were the better side overall), surely this shows some progress in the England game, psyche and presentation, compared to previous years of attempts in competition and even friendlies, as mentioned above?

Andy

The penalties apart from Kane and Maguire ( a centre half!) were pretty abysmal however I was shouting for Southgate to bring on Foden and Grealish as soon as extra time started.

Foden was woefully underused IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    A pity we’re not known for the tolerance of the American Samoans.

https://youtu.be/_S4C2nQZlSA
    That has a Cool Runnings vibe
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    The penalties apart from Kane and Maguire ( a centre half!) were pretty abysmal however I was shouting for Southgate to bring on Foden and Grealish as soon as extra time started.

Foden was injured for the final .

Again, I never said they were a hotbed of racism, I said the scenes I'd viewed of thuggery and racism were all accents of those areas. That's very different and factual. However, I genuinely don't believe that those scenes would have occurred in any other city than London. That's my opinion.

And those scenes would not have happened had the final been played in most other major footballing cities in my opinion.
    And you know that the people causing the problems actually live in London? You'll find that a vast number of people travelled to London, as that's where this event was held. Simply being present in the city where the stadium is, despite not being able to be in the stadium itself, is always a huge draw for fans.

Had the final been held in Liverpool, or Manchester, or Birmingham, you'd have a huge wave of people rushing there and causing trouble in those cities too.

Grealish made things happen whenever he was brought on. I'd have liked to have seen a lot more of him and less of Mount but there may be tactical reasons I don't understand why that wouldn't have worked.

Grealish made things happen whenever he was brought on. I'd have liked to have seen a lot more of him and less of Mount but there may be tactical reasons I don't understand why that wouldn't have worked.
    If Grealish was as influential and special as the pundits/commentators were saying - why wasn't be brought on (say) for the entire 2nd half??

I'm no football fan and watch very little - but even I noticed that Kane was 'missing' from the match.

Southgate is a very cautious and defensive coach and Mount gives him more of that than Grealish. It's a good example of the difference in styles between Southgate and someone like Brendan Rogers who would build his team around Grealish.

I'm not knocking Southgate as he's done brilliantly with two semis and a final.

Master

The nonce hairdo that Foden got should have ruled him out of any participation in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That has a Cool Runnings vibe
    Sort of. It’s an incredible insight into coaching as well as their culture, and three genders.

And South Pacific islanders are built line the proverbial!

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    The nonce hairdo that Foden got should have ruled him out of any participation in the finals.
    Jesus. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Won't be too long I'm 25% Spanish, 25% French, 25% Irish and 25% English.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Can you speak French, Spanish or Gaelic/any language spoken on Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    What benefits are these BTW? Happy to send you my last year Tax Return and you decide who benefits. Like I said London is awesome. Rest of the UK I'm subsidising

Do you really think social security type benefits were being referred to? No one cares about your salary or anyone else's. There are people here who make 200k a month and others who make £200 per week. One chap I met from here is easily worth north of £20m. Most unassuming guy ever

On the football, GS is a hero as are the whole team. Football is a team sport and everyone wins and loses together. The guys who didn't score their penalties are lions for even having the bottle to take them. Hindsight is 20/20 so no point talking about what GS should or shouldn't have done. He got us to the final which is more than any other manager has accomplished for 55y so I salute the man and his troops (who you can see absolutely respect him and play for him).

Master

It would definitely alter my decision making when picking a team if I had players talking about what hairstyles to get for a tournament. I would know then their hearts are not in this.

Same decision making made in my working life. Letters after a email signature, tattoos on display, holes in the ear lobe, Bo55 number plates and any sniff of a silver spoon upbringing

It would definitely alter my decision making when picking a team if I had players talking about what hairstyles to get for a tournament. I would know then their hearts are not in this.
    Likewise...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

That's incredibly judgey and you're missing out on some very talented people.

Same decision making made in my working life. Letters after a email signature, tattoos on display, holes in the ear lobe, Bo55 number plates and any sniff of a silver spoon upbringing

That's incredibly judgey and you're missing out on some very talented people.
    You're assuming it was entirely serious, which the smiley suggests it wasn't.

That said, I don't believe anyone who claims to be 100% open-minded when interviewing people.

Let's face it, there are a huge number of people who would be great at any given job who are excluded by the education or prior experience requirements (and that also explains why there are so many useless managers/directors around).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I know nothing about football and never watch with exception of a few games.

I did not watch the penalties as my children were tired but that foul with Saka. Is that really football?

Can a team playing and winning like that really feel a sense of pride?

Unhappy

Another sad outake from last night is that we now have yet another England football team that are "scarred" by the lottery of penalties. Of course they all will know our history for the past 25-30 years but now, unfortunately, it will sit in the minds of every young squad member from last night too.

I hope I'm wrong, but with so many tournaments being tighter these days the spectre of penalties is always there and not an appealing option for any participant.

During the game last night I said many times that if it came to penalties I just couldn't watch them after so many painful times watching us lose before. But, against my better judgement, I did stay to watch them and felt utterly sick at seeing how it played out..............yet again. I feel for the players, I really do....but watching it remotely is like your worst nightmare being re-run time over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Another sad outake from last night is that we now have yet another England football team that are "scarred" by the lottery of penalties. Of course they all will know our history for the past 25-30 years but now, unfortunately, it will sit in the minds of every young squad member from last night too.

I hope I'm wrong, but with so many tournaments being tighter these days the spectre of penalties is always there and not an appealing option for any participant.

During the game last night I said many times that if it came to penalties I just couldn't watch them after so many painful times watching us lose before. But, against my better judgement, I did stay to watch them and felt utterly sick at seeing how it played out..............yet again. I feel for the players, I really do....but watching it remotely is like your worst nightmare being re-run time over time.

You do know that England won penalty shoot outs against Switzerland, Columbia and Spain don’t you?

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    You do know that England won penalty shoot outs against Switzerland, Columbia and Spain don’t you?

Yes, I do Andy. But only the first and last one of those was with this current squad (Spain was Euro '96 yes?) if I recall correctly and as a rule our "form" (or luck) is dire through the years and this one will really hurt I fear.
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 12th July 2021 at 17:16.

Gutted about the result and applaud all the players and manager for giving it their all.
    Penalties are always a lottery, no matter how much the players practice- you can’t blame them for having the courage to actually take a Penalty. It was really unlucky we missed 3 and it was good luck for the Italian goalkeeper that he guessed right on two of them.

We are getting closer, World Cup semi finalists and now Euro runners up is a pretty good recent track record.
    England should always be in the top 10-5 footballing nations and at least we say that we have had some pretty good results of late.

I am quite happy for Gareth Southgate to continue and at least we don’t have to wait too long until the Quatar 2022.

I just wish the Media wouldn’t massively build up these matches it can’t be helpful to the players??

Master
    Man there's some bitterness on this thread.

It's a game, both teams played immensely well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    Gutted about the result and applaud all the players and manager for giving it their all.
    Penalties are always a lottery, no matter how much the players practice- you can’t blame them for having the courage to actually take a Penalty. It was really unlucky we missed 3 and it was good luck for the Italian goalkeeper that he guessed right on two of them.

We are getting closer, World Cup semi finalists and now Euro runners up is a pretty good recent track record.
    England should always be in the top 10-5 footballing nations and at least we say that we have had some pretty good results of late.

I am quite happy for Gareth Southgate to continue and at least we don’t have to wait too long until the Quatar 2022.

I just wish the Media wouldn’t massively build up these matches it can’t be helpful to the players??
    Penalties really aren't a lottery and keepers don't just guess.
    If they were a lottery Germany wouldn't keep winning them.
    I'm sure up until Italy won a penalty shoot out against England( with Pirlo doing the Panenka in 2012) they had a terrible record in penalty shootouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Man there's some bitterness on this thread.

It's a game, both teams played immensely well.
    There sure are, which is sad :)

As you say two very good teams and we do have a very young team that will have quite a few tournaments to come

What I found really interesting is how Gareth Southgate analysed that tactics of teams that won in the past - many of who seemed to carve out results.

Spare a thought for France, Belgium, Portugal and Germany - who all went out with a bit of wimper - I bet their media didn't give them such a hard time?

I'm really looking forward to next year (even if we have to wait until December) and watching the clashes between South American teams vs European teams.

Master
    Me too. I've never really been into football until now, but the quality of the play I've seen from England has really piqued my interest.

They will grow and become winners (and let's face it they came darned close against some very stiff competition).

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    My point entirely.

And as far as.... "And the Italians who missed? Were they tippy tappy too? A miss is a miss. You're looking to scapegoat Rashford.".... the Italians weren't playing for England, and criticising players actions is hardly "looking to scapegoat'' them. If it had been Kane I would have said the same, and I doubt Barleymumble would have been so keen to leap to his defence.
    I respect Kane a lot, and I'd say the exact same thing. As I said, that match was not lost on a single kick.

interestingly (or probably not) I was living and working in Germany in '96 when we smashed the Dutch ;D

I watched the semi against the Germans with friends where we lost on penalties and was totally gutted. Really thought it would be Englands year. Roll on the next day at work and I was expecting to get A serious ribbing from my German friends. There was lots of talk about it being a good game but that was it.

Nothing.

Now i'm not complaing because I would have been there with my England shirt on had we won.

Nothing.

So I had to ask.

The reply was quite admirable. 'We didn't win. We drew. Penalties was just to decide who goes through.' was the answer.
    Not sure i'd have been anywhere near as diplomatic if we'd won!

I was cheering the Gemans for that final. Great game.

Oliver Bierhoff header won it for the Germans. I believe they were playing the sudden death extra time rule. First to score wins the game?

I believe this squad has a great chance of winning something in the next decade. What Southgate and this squad achieved in Euro 2020 is progress and that's hugely positive and encouraging. Since he took the job we've placed 4th at the WC, 3rd in the Nation's League and 2nd at Euro 2020. That's incredible IMO and not what any of us would have expected or even allowed ourselves to dream of following the Iceland performance and result.

We clearly have a tremendous tournament mentality now which I don't think we've ever had and I include '66 in that. In '66 we won but didn't follow that up and a solid tournament mentality is created over several tournaments.

The squad doesn't have to improve by very much to win one or more tournaments.

Blog Entries
    Penalties really aren't a lottery and keepers don't just guess.
    If they were a lottery Germany wouldn't keep winning them.
    I'm sure up until Italy won a penalty shoot out against England( with Pirlo doing the Panenka in 2012) they had a terrible record in penalty shootouts.
    In fact it was after 1994. Italy lost the final of World Cup with Brazil, at penalties. Even Baggio missed one.

Since then there has always been a role, as "free kick expert", where one coach is specifically for free kick schemes and penalty taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Even Baggio missed one.
    I think that’s possibly the loudest scream I did in my life!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Boris will be conflicted.
    Some in the party clearly are...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-57807264

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    A Conservative MP has apologised after suggesting Marcus Rashford should have spent more time "perfecting his game" rather than "playing politics".
    Amazing times when politicians are complaining about engaged citizens trying to make their communities better. What can you say.

Out of interest, of all the fans backing Southgate, how many would take him as next manager of their club?
    I doubt anyone in the top half of the PL would be interested in his services.
    Give Mancini that England squad and they’d have torn the competition to pieces.