closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Euros 2020

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed. Denmark scored from a free kick that wasn't; we were denied a far clearer-cut penalty; and we were BY FAR the better team.

Roll on Sunday!!!
    Denmark's free kick looked pretty clear cut.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Agreed.
    The penalty decision was no worse than the free kick decision.
    The yellow card for Maguire was harsh.
    There were a number of cynical "professional" fouls from Denmark that should have received a yellow card but didn't.
    The ref I thought had a very poor game, he wasn't biased he was just poor, especially when comparing his performance against what I have viewed as a championship of extremely high quality refereeing throughout.
    Kane had a good game with lots of strong aspects to his game coming good last night; his passing, holding the ball up, drawing fouls in critical locations , dictating pace were all good I felt.
    Southgate was immense in his tactics and timing of his changes.

England were far the better team and dictated that match. Denmark were hanging on for dear life for much of that game. Kasper was their best performer and arguably man of the match.
    Sterling was amazing, again.

People need to give up on the England Bashing, this is an excellent squad with significant depths of talent, the quality of the England substitutes is incredible.

This team displays control, patience, intelligence, discipline and imagination to a level I have never seen in any England team in my lifetime. Any team would fear facing this England squad, no doubt about that.

Having said all that we may still not be good enough or mature enough yet to beat Italy in a final, we will have to see but that does not detract from the fact that this team is a genuinely good team with huge potential for the future.
    What he said^
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

This'll be one of those 'anthem-booey' people.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Some people don't get it. He's played up front virtually on his own, ran the channels stretching the back four, pulling them all over the pitch and creating space. He's shielded the ball brilliantly and won loads of free kicks. He's put in two fantastic balls for the goal and what should have been a goal. He's worked his socks off again for the team.

Oh, and scored the winner.

Kane playing up front on his own has been our biggest problem, and the reason we won our group with two lack-lustre 1-0 results. How many times last night had we carved through their defence only to find nobody in the box to pass to? How many times in this tournement have we gone from threatening the opposition to back-passing all the way back to pickford?
    Maybe I'm just down on Kane through the couple of lazy games he had early on but I still don't trust him as our only natural striker, he needs support up there. Sterling is deadly but being pulled back and given the "playmaker" role. Foden is barely used. Sancho even less so.

I'm in support of our national team, but give it a rest with the patriotic stuff, we're not all that convincing as a threat.
    I still think we'll beat Italy, they looked beat against Spain, I don't think they should have made the final themselves.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Denmark's free kick looked pretty clear cut.
    But their players infringed our wall by standing <1m from ours, hence goal should have been disallowed.
    On balance we played better so deserved the result.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    But their players infringed our wall by standing <1m from ours, hence goal should have been disallowed.
    On balance we played better so deserved the result.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Not disputing other decisions or maybe that's what LTF meant?

The penalty was incredibly soft minimal if any contact, but those are called occasionally. Especially for the home team. VAR should have corrected it, but they couldn't handle the pressure. My main gripe is the extra ball. Scandalous. Which ball are we playing with? Makkelie and his team were really poor. Not just one bad decision, but two. And at such a pivotal time. You only get so many chances to do well at a major tournament, and then the ref completely forgets what he's doing... The laser pointing and booing the anthem are just a few sad idiots, but the ref is being paid for this! If you can't tell from my post, I'm still extremely bitter, I'll congratulate you guys in a couple of years. What a way to go out! England were the better team, yes. But the LET THE PLAYERS WIN THE GAME, NOT THE REF!

I think every England supporter on here can totally relate to how you’re feeling right now Jeppe; we’ve all felt like that for most, if not all, of our lives!

In close games, there’s always the element of luck and last night, probably for the first time, it went England’s way.

Denmark have had an amazing tournament, particularly so given what happened in their guest game, you should be proud.

I thought Denmark played the better game, England pass backwards far to often, yes it retains possession but its just boring to watch. Stones to Maguire to Rice then back to Stones and repeat, whilst Denmark tried to play progressive attacking football. Was never a pen and how VAR did not overturn the decision is just a joke, Denmark at that point were on the back foot and hoping for pens which I believe they would have won.

They have a good chance against Italy, who looked world class the first few matches but have gone off the boil at the wrong time, they have had a hard run to the final compared to England.

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    Re penalty, Slightest touch...soft....sorry there was no contact
    Schrodinger's tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Schrodinger's tackle?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Schrodinger's tackle?
    Very good!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    ...England pass backwards far to often, yes it retains possession but its just boring to watch. Stones to Maguire to Rice then back to Stones and repeat, whilst Denmark tried to play progressive attacking football.
    You're there to win, as Roy Keane would say.

I'd rather be boring and win, than great to watch and lose.

"Two balls on the pitch

Lazer pen's still gleaming"

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I thought Denmark played the better game, England pass backwards far to often, yes it retains possession but its just boring to watch. Stones to Maguire to Rice then back to Stones and repeat, whilst Denmark tried to play progressive attacking football. Was never a pen and how VAR did not overturn the decision is just a joke, Denmark at that point were on the back foot and hoping for pens which I believe they would have won.

They have a good chance against Italy, who looked world class the first few matches but have gone off the boil at the wrong time, they have had a hard run to the final compared to England.
    There was only one team trying to win the game in the 2nd half and in extra time and it wasn't Denmark.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

I guess that's true, but as an occasional watcher of football all that midfield timewasting is just dull.

Last year ITV showed the whole of the 1966 World Cup Final.

I've often wondered why I went from being football mad at the age of 8 or 9 to totally disinterested by my mid-teens, watching last night's game compared to the 1996 Final, it's fairly obvious.

Football (much like F1) has advanced, but as a form of entertainment, it's declined dramatically.

To be fair, though a lot of the amateur dramatics should be candidates for the British Soap Acting Awards...

I don't think England have a hope against Italy, I'm afraid.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Exactly. We have a style and a rhythm that we've never had before. We probe and probe and if we can't get through we go back and start again. Germany have done this for decades and been massively successful. It was so obvious last night that we never just throw in a cross in the hope someone's there, never. Why enter a tournament if you're not going to try to win it?

Win first, entertain second.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That's the spirit!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Do you know that? It might be a bloke who does car-wraps having a bit of Euros fun or one of the shops attracting attention as all the windows seem to be covered.

My wife went out and bought some flags (to replace the ones that fell apart in the last world cup) for her car.

I suppose she's one of them, too?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 8th July 2021 at 09:30.

There was only one team trying to win the game in the 2nd half and in extra time and it wasn't Denmark.
    Agreed - must have been watching another match. Remarkable comment.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I guess that's true, but as an occasional watcher of football all that midfield timewasting is just dull.

I've often wondered why I went from being football mad at the age of 8 or 9 to totally disinterested by my mid-teens, watching last night's game compared to the 1996 Final, it's fairly obvious.

Football (much like F1) has advanced, but as a form of entertainment, it's declined dramatically.

To be fair, though a lot of the amateur dramatics should be candidates for the British Soap Acting Awards...

M
    So you’d rather we just keep lumping the ball in the vain hope that someone might get on the end of it and do something exciting? That’s worked particularly well over the years. The ‘dull timewasting’ is not timewasting whether or not you find it boring.

And I will disagree with your view of England’s chances. I think England have every hope against Italy if they play to their strengths and don’t panic.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Exactly. We have a style and a rhythm that we've never had before. We probe and probe and if we can't get through we go back and start again. Germany have done this for decades and been massively successful. It was so obvious last night that we never just throw in a cross in the hope someone's there, never. Why enter a tournament if you're not going to try to win it?
    Agreed. It's almost like Southgate has "professionalised" the team, for want of a better term.

M

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    So you’d rather we just keep lumping the ball in the vain hope that someone might get on the end of it and do something exciting? That’s worked particularly well over the years. The ‘dull timewasting’ is not timewasting whether or not you find it boring.

And I will disagree with your view of England’s chances. I think England have every hope against Italy if they play to their strengths and don’t panic.
    Well, I'm not sure which position you play, but I won't be doing anything on the pitch

I'd like to see them run at the opposition more, as they did at times; the times they actually posed a threat.

I guess the intent was to tire the Danes out and it worked in the end, but it wasn't entertaining. The previous games were far better, I thought.

I hope England can beat Italy, but from what I've seen throughout the tournament (and England's performance against Denmark), I think they'll struggle.

M

Go and watch it and tell me that's the case.

I'm sure the hardened fans will tell me why football is 'better' today, the same way an F1 car is faster than one from the 70s or 80s, but as a casual watcher, neither is more enjoyable.

M

Blimey there are some right Victor Meldrews on this thread / forum).

These same 'fans' who boo the opposition national anthem also boo the Black Lives Matter knee-taking. They can currently be easily identified in public by the fact they have England Flags hanging out of their car (either an estate car or white van) windows. Thankfully they are a minority and should not be looked upon as reflective of England as a whole. They should also realise that their actions only inspire the opponents further, as do the words of idiotic 'won-bugger-all-with-England' overrated ex-players like Rio Ferdinand who stated 'Italy or Spain, doesn't matter we'd beat either'. Guess what is all over the front pages of Corriere della Sera and Gazzetta dello Sport? Great idea to work up Italy even more.....
    Wow! You do realise that suggesting “fans” who put England flags on their white vans or estate cars are all somehow nationalist racists, makes you just as bigoted and stupid as the people who you are attempting to point the finger at. Or are you Emily Thornbury? . Just as it’s rather stupid to suggest that it’s only those Fans that boo anthems, boo the “taking of the knee”. Folks all over the world “boo” other countries anthems long before BLM was ever a thing. Nationalism/Tribalism is not the same as systemic racism.

You also seem to have forgotten that at least the UK teams were prepared to “take the knee” unlike every other European team (with the exception of Belgium) who didn’t, or who only did so when they were playing against UK teams. Where was your criticism of them, or is it only reserved for some England “fans”.

Whilst grinding your axe, you also seem to have overlooked that many people who “boo” taking the knee, do so because a) they don’t want to see sport politicised, b) confuse the BLM message with the American BLM political movement, c) fail to understand that greater equality is not political and that it’s a basic human right, d) believe that BLM, by definition of its slogan is in some way racist, or May have their own reasons which are not necessarily related to racism/equality.

Finally I did enjoy your “won-bugger-all” reference, but then surely you realise that if we only used pundits that had actually won at a international level the selection would be pretty limited. England would have to go back to team of 1966. For Scotland, Wales, Ireland and NI then it really would be the case of bugger all. Ref Rio, I agree, he never won anything with England, but then neither did Eusebio or Cruyff for their respective countries, however his Medal cabinet is considerable fuller (including a World Club Cup medal) than many others who also present on TV, so his CV is better than most. As for inciting the opposition, do you really think the thoughts of Rio will motive the Italian team - seriously?

But here’s a thought. It sounds as if football and it’s fans gives you a bit of a problem (deserved or not), so why not simply avoid it. You don’t need it, and I am sure it will manage without you.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Agreed. It's almost like Southgate has "professionalised" the team, for want of a better term.

Maybe we should just get Keegan back and be done with it...

So much negativity here... we're in a Euro Final for the first time ever, playing really good, controlled football and beating some really good teams. Everything things they know better.. I'd have liked to have seen us pressing much higher up the pitch in transition during the second hand and extra time but that would have had consequences elsewhere so I'm happy to accept that Gareth knows best.

We've got a real chance against Italy. They looked spent towards the end against Spain and they're certainly not unbeatable. I don't think we're favourites, even at home but it'll be close.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Blimey there are some right Victor Meldrews on this thread / forum).
    I don't believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    So much negativity here... we're in a Euro Final for the first time ever, playing really good, controlled football and beating some really good teams.

We've got a real chance against Italy. They looked spent towards the end against Spain and they're certainly not unbeatable. I don't think we're favourites, even at home but it'll be close.
    I don't see negativity, I see a discussion, but a lot of people are wearing the very glasses I was just accused of

I hope they win, Southgate's done a great job of bringing together a strong team over his time as manager, especially given that the premiership is so full of foreign players, but they'll need to up their game to beat Italy, unless Italy really are exhausted from their games so far.

We'll know if they can on Sunday evening.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 8th July 2021 at 09:54.

Go and watch it and tell me that's the case.

I'm sure the hardened fans will tell me why football is 'better' today, the same way an F1 car is faster than one from the 70s or 80s, but as a casual watcher, neither is more enjoyable.

M
    Watching young men die needlessly in fast coffins isn't my idea of fun.

I don't think football in the 60s was any better than today. There's been some fantastic games in this tournament.

England had 20 shots and 10 on target. They were trying to break through a defensive wall. It was a different type of game last night to the 1966 final, not really comparable to England v Germany in a final.

England won and are through to a final, why the need for negativity?

Master
    Prediction for the final:-
    Italy 1 England didn't! (Assuming that we play the same way and don't play to get into a scoring position). There seems to be only one player who will take on a midfield and defence and he DOES get through.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Agreed.
    The penalty decision was no worse than the free kick decision.
    The yellow card for Maguire was harsh.
    There were a number of cynical "professional" fouls from Denmark that should have received a yellow card but didn't.
    The ref I thought had a very poor game, he wasn't biased he was just poor, especially when comparing his performance against what I have viewed as a championship of extremely high quality refereeing throughout.
    Kane had a good game with lots of strong aspects to his game coming good last night; his passing, holding the ball up, drawing fouls in critical locations , dictating pace were all good I felt.
    Southgate was immense in his tactics and timing of his changes.

England were far the better team and dictated that match. Denmark were hanging on for dear life for much of that game. Kasper was their best performer and arguably man of the match.
    Sterling was amazing, again.

People need to give up on the England Bashing, this is an excellent squad with significant depths of talent, the quality of the England substitutes is incredible.

This team displays control, patience, intelligence, discipline and imagination to a level I have never seen in any England team in my lifetime. Any team would fear facing this England squad, no doubt about that.

Having said all that we may still not be good enough or mature enough yet to beat Italy in a final, we will have to see but that does not detract from the fact that this team is a genuinely good team with huge potential for the future.
    All very fair comments. I agreee Mcguire's booking was very harsh and many Denmark cynical fouls were ignored, including one in the first 30 seconds!!!

In watching the game as it went on I felt the referee wanted to be the star (something not see much of this tournament).
    As soon as he gave the penalty, I knew there was no chance of him correcting himself as I don't believe he could have admitted that he was wrong.

Watching young men die needlessly in fast coffins isn't my idea of fun.
    If you believe that’s the case, I’d suggest that you look at the statistics; there was a fatality in 2014 (Jules Bianchi) which was, IMHO, the fault of the race organisers/Marshalls. Prior to that, the last death in F1 was Senna in 1994!

England won and are through to a final, why the need for negativity?
    Agreed, no need for any negativity, England won and see into the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If you believe that’s the case, I’d suggest that you look at the statistics; there was a fatality in 2014 (Jules Bianchi) which was, IMHO, the fault of the race organisers/Marshalls. Prior to that, the last death in F1 was Senna in 1994!
    I assume he was suggesting that that was what I found more enjoyable about racing in the 70s and 80s - I won't dignify it with a response.

M

England the better team tonight but no way was that a penalty. No way. Still, the right team won. Denmark did their country proud, absolute Vikingr heroes
    This is very much my view, and given that it's England -v- Italy in the final, my former neutrality has vanished. I hope England win.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Wow! You do realise that suggesting “fans” who put England flags on their white vans or estate cars are all somehow nationalist racists, makes you just as bigoted and stupid as the people who you are attempting to point the finger at. Or are you Emily Thornbury? . Just as it’s rather stupid to suggest that it’s only those Fans that boo anthems, boo the “taking of the knee”. Folks all over the world “boo” other countries anthems long before BLM was ever a thing. Nationalism/Tribalism is not the same as systemic racism.

You also seem to have forgotten that at least the UK teams were prepared to “take the knee” unlike every other European team (with the exception of Belgium) who didn’t, or who only did so when they were playing against UK teams. Where was your criticism of them, or is it only reserved for some England “fans”.

Whilst grinding your axe, you also seem to have overlooked that many people who “boo” taking the knee, do so because a) they don’t want to see sport politicised, b) confuse the BLM message with the American BLM political movement, c) fail to understand that greater equality is not political and that it’s a basic human right, d) believe that BLM, by definition of its slogan is in some way racist, or May have their own reasons which are not necessarily related to racism/equality.

Finally I did enjoy your “won-bugger-all” reference, but then surely you realise that if we only used pundits that had actually won at a international level the selection would be pretty limited. England would have to go back to team of 1966. For Scotland, Wales, Ireland and NI then it really would be the case of bugger all. Ref Rio, I agree, he never won anything with England, but then neither did Eusebio or Cruyff for their respective countries, however his Medal cabinet is considerable fuller (including a World Club Cup medal) than many others who also present on TV, so his CV is better than most. As for inciting the opposition, do you really think the thoughts of Rio will motive the Italian team - seriously?

But here’s a thought. It sounds as if football and it’s fans gives you a bit of a problem (deserved or not), so why not simply avoid it. You don’t need it, and I am sure it will manage without you.
    Great riposte Andy. The fans that boo the taking of the knee include fans from all ethnicities and they're frustrated that the media fails to engage with them to understand the real message and instead, continues to promote a false agenda. These are not racists - they will all happily applaud any anti racist message except one associated with the political group. There was already a campaign in place, Kick it Out - they could promote this even more strongly and perhaps ask players to stand tall together. Football as an industry in this country paints a fantastic picture in terms of opportunity based on merit with an estimated 33% of the playing staff in the premiership drawn from ethnic minority communities.
    Last edited by BSB; 8th July 2021 at 22:01.

And our resident F1 expert, clearly knows as much about football as he does about that subject, Hee haw.
    Last edited by dkpw; 8th July 2021 at 10:39.

Blog Entries

Exactly the kind of ignorance you're always moaning about.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

England won, and I'm sure all supporters are delighted, and excited by the prospect of winning on Sunday.

But the way teams wins isn't always laudable. It's quite clear, especially with numerous camera angles, that players are leaping like salmon at the slightest touch, and grimacing in excruciating pain when moments later they are up and running about. The Lazarus Effect.

Play fairly. Win with honour.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Great reposte Andy. The fans that boo the taking of the knee include fans from all ethnicities and they're frustrated that the media fails to engage with them to understand the real message and instead, continues to promote a false agenda. These are not racists - they will all happily applaud any anti racist message except one associated with the political group. There was already a campaign in place, Kick it Out - they could promote this even more strongly and perhaps ask players to stand tall together. Football as an industry in this country paints a fantastic picture in terms of opportunity based on merit with an estimated 33% of the playing staff in the premiership drawn from ethnic minority communities.
    Southgate and the players have stated on many occasions in this tournament that the players are not taking a knee in line with BLM or any political movement. It is their personal choice to highlight racial injustice & inequality - so by actively booing that gesture, it does come across as a bit racist doesn’t it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    Southgate and the players have stated on many occasions in this tournament that the players are not taking a knee in line with BLM or any political movement. It is their personal choice to highlight racial injustice & inequality - so by actively booing that gesture, it does come across as a bit racist doesn’t it?
    I think once something like that is associated with a particular movement it's difficult to distance it from it. If an organisation or team of players adopted the right hand raised salute, and said it was to highlight inequality in society, would it be possible for it's previous associations to be ignored? I doubt it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

UEFA are after England: laser, booing anthem, fireworks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    But the way teams wins isn't always laudable. It's quite clear, especially with numerous camera angles, that players are leaping like salmon at the slightest touch, and grimacing in excruciating pain when moments later they are up and running about. The Lazarus Effect.

Play fairly. Win with honour.
    If you could list out the teams that this doesn't apply to, that would be great. Feel free to leave out the rubbish ones to save time.

https://i.imgur.com/VC4UhPb.mp4

Sorted. There is a Mute icon top right for anyone who doesn't get sound immediately.
    Last edited by OldHooky; 8th July 2021 at 11:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    If you could list out the teams that this doesn't apply to, that would be great. Feel free to leave out the rubbish ones to save time.
    Are you condoning it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Are you condoning it?
    That's immaterial. Who doesn't do it in the modern game? Everyone is at it, no?

Master
    I’ll be putting some cash on England to win to help numb the pain should they prevail.
    I’m going to have to ditch radio2 for a bit too and listen to some parochial shite from up here until it passes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don't gamble but that sounds like a decent idea. I'd be happy losing money on that bet as I'm sure you will be.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I’ll be putting some cash on England to win to help numb the pain should they prevail.
    I’m going to have to ditch radio2 for a bit too and listen to some parochial shite from up here until it passes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Good strategy, I think.

It is going to be relentless

That doesn't excuse or justify it. It's not a Pub league.

Diving is inexcusable. It sets a terrible example to kids. The game needs far more consistent and severe consequences for those caught doing it. A Yellow Card clearly doesn't stop it, whereas 10 minutes in a Sin Bin might. No team wants to play with a man down, and if the Sin Bin was used consistently, across all leagues, teams would soon start to self-discipline. And fans would lose patience with those who didn't.

And similar to other sports, instigating a post-match review of certain offences would be no bad thing. A suspension and fine could also be considered.

It's precisely because "everyone is at it" that it needs stamping out.