closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Euros 2020

As I’m British first and foremost, and a sheep-shagger second: COME ON ENGLAND!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The only person that mattered believed it was a penalty even if you don’t.

Neither fo I understand where your comment about it being widely accepted that it was no penalty came from.
    FTFY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Again, why exactly wasn't it a penalty? Just saying it wasn't isn't a reason. Did Jensen commit a foul or not?

All the commentators I've seen who dismissed it on the night said there was no contact or virtually no contact. The angle I shared and that was used by VAR shows there was contact and that it wasn't minimal. I've not seen any commentator review this footage in detail. The opinion on the night based on other misleading camera angles seems to have stuck.
    Sterling trailed his leg looking for a contact and then threw himself to the floor.
    No foul was committed.

Relax your boys are only doing what these cheating Latin types have been doing for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I read yesterday that actually the Danish goal should have been retaken because Law 13 states that when the defending team forms a wall of 3 or more players, all attacking players must remain 1m from the wall unlit the ball is kicked.

Clearly this wasn’t the case.

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/...e-2021-22.ashx
    Take another look. Game time 29:m 23s: http://www.itv.com/hub/uefa-european...ip/1a6248a0105. The Danish players are well away from England's wall.

The rule you linked to says: "Where three or more defending team players form a ‘wall’, all attacking team players must remain at least 1 m (1 yd) from the ‘wall’ until the ball is in play." It doesn't specify any particular direction. The Danes were lined up at least 1 m closer to where the penalty was taken than the England players.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Sterling trailed his leg looking for a contact and then threw himself to the floor.
    No foul was committed.

Relax your boys are only doing what these cheating Latin types have been doing for years.
    Not true. Watch the footage, Jensen sticks out his hip towards Sterling, the main contact is hip to hip, then Sterling loses his balance.

It's a clear foul in my view but as you disagree please explain how Jensen's actions are within the rules?

https://youtu.be/6iix8NSjjFk

Master
    Not true. Watch the footage, Jensen sticks out his hip towards Sterling, the main contact is hip to hip, then Sterling loses his balance.

It's a clear foul in my view but as you disagree please explain how Jensen's actions are within the rules?

https://youtu.be/6iix8NSjjFk
    You're probably right an absolute stone waller despite the commentator saying not to get too exited as likely to be overturned and Lee Dixon and Ian Wright not thinking it was a penalty.
    In fact the Dane should probably have been sent off too as I'm sure Sterling would have been through on goal with a clear goal scoring opportunity.

You're probably right an absolute stone waller despite the commentator saying not to get too exited as likely to be overturned and Lee Dixon and Ian Wright not thinking it was a penalty.
    In fact the Dane should probably have been sent off too as I'm sure Sterling would have been through on goal with a clear goal scoring opportunity.
    You've got no chance mate :) They really, really want to have the cake and eat it too...

Again no explanation.

On the highlights show on the BBC, 2 out of 3 pundits thought it was a penalty as did the ref who was in the best place and VAR didn't overturn it having reviewed the key camera angle footage. If it was so clearly not a penalty why didn't VAR overrule the ref?

Jensen clearly swings his hip towards Sterling, bumping him whilst he is running at speed and causing him to lose balance. It isn't minimal contact and Jensen isn't even trying to get the ball.

I never usually watch football but I started watching at the semi final and think this years 2021 European cup looks good, I never saw last years. Maybe GB will win on Sunday.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Take another look. Game time 29:m 23s: www.itv.com/hub/uefa-european-football-championship/1a6248a0105. The Danish players are well away from England's wall.

The rule you linked to says: "Where three or more defending team players form a ‘wall’, all attacking team players must remain at least 1 m (1 yd) from the ‘wall’ until the ball is in play." It doesn't specify any particular direction. The Danes were lined up at least 1 m closer to where the penalty was taken than the England players.
    This shows both angles. As for direction irrelevant - 1m is 1m.

But If you honestly saying they were 1m alway before the ball was kicked I recommend Specsavers https://youtu.be/2LiEVZ4tObY

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

No need to get all salty about this. It’s just a game.

But I would have thought the Scots would be quite pleased, as they are the only team in the Tournament to have taken a point off England (finalists).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

But I would have thought the Scots would be quite pleased, as they are the only team in the Tournament to have taken a point off England (finalists).
    We’ll be clinging to that statistic, believe me!

Master

Banter Andy
    You're taking it in the spirit it's meant.

All this talk of diving and we’re playing the Italians tomorrow FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    All this talk of diving and we’re playing the Italians tomorrow FFS!
    That's the very point. Those cheatin Latins are the diving type, not our proud Anglo Saxon boys.

Saw a meme last night suggesting the Scots have supported four teams so far this tournament and have yet to get a win.

Bants

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Saw a meme last night suggesting the Scots have supported four teams so far this tournament and have yet to get a win.

Bants
    I don't know but all the Scots that I know are supporting England.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Banter Andy
    You're taking it in the spirit it's meant.

The danger with that is what considered as banter/humorous/satirical comments by some, might be viewed as racist, bigoted, offensive, etc, to others. Feelings get hurt.

Plus you know how sensitive some of the hive round here can get

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I don't know but all the Scots that I know are supporting England.
    As an Englishman living in Scotland I know plenty, but it’s all fine by me and good humour

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    That's the very point. Those cheatin Latins are the diving type, not our proud Anglo Saxon boys.

Praise be to all those non UK players plying their trade in UK leagues (for their teaching and coaching) and to VAR (for increasing fairness and reducing controversy).

But special thanks most also go to the wonderful example set by authorities like FIFA, UEFA and PL for demonstrating the ethics required to be successful in this sport.

We are truly blessed to have professional football for business, wealth generating, entertainment opportunities and for brining all fans together in harmony.

Friedrich Nietzsche

The danger with that is what considered as banter/humorous/satirical comments by some, might be viewed as racist, bigoted, offensive, etc, to others. Feelings get hurt.

Plus you know how sensitive some of the hive round here can get
    It's only a 'danger' for the tiny minority who repeatedly fail to see the differences.

But it's the sensitivity of the queen bee that only counts in this hive.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Again no explanation.

On the highlights show on the BBC, 2 out of 3 pundits thought it was a penalty as did the ref who was in the best place and VAR didn't overturn it having reviewed the key camera angle footage. If it was so clearly not a penalty why didn't VAR overrule the ref?

Jensen clearly swings his hip towards Sterling, bumping him whilst he is running at speed and causing him to lose balance. It isn't minimal contact and Jensen isn't even trying to get the ball.
    For what it's worth, I completely agree with you and am not sure why so many people apparently can't see it from your perspective.

I think Sterling is running between two players at pace when balance is at a premium and has two players make some contact (the first Dane makes contact with his thigh I think) and this is enough to push him off balance and would be a foul anywhere on the pitch.

In the ref's opinion it was a foul, and the VAR agreed. These people are the experts, working at the highest level with years of experience - I doubt they give a monkey's what Lee Dixon thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    For what it's worth, I completely agree with you and am not sure why so many people apparently can't see it from your perspective.

I think Sterling is running between two players at pace when balance is at a premium and has two players make some contact (the first Dane makes contact with his thigh I think) and this is enough to push him off balance and would be a foul anywhere on the pitch.

In the ref's opinion it was a foul, and the VAR agreed. These people are the experts, working at the highest level with years of experience - I doubt they give a monkey's what Lee Dixon thinks.
    You can repeat this as often as you like, but the VAR did not have to agree in order to not take back the decision.

I am surprised how many people seem to have no clue how the VAR system works. This is really VAR basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You can repeat this as often as you like, but the VAR did not have to agree in order to not take back the decision.

I am surprised how many people seem to have no clue how the VAR system works. This is really VAR basics.
    That's true, however, if it was clearly not a penalty VAR would have overruled it. Having reviewed the footage VAR didn't see any evidence that the referee had made a clear and obvious error and having seen the additional angle it's obvious why they came to this conclusion, it was a foul (or 2).

So VAR not overruling the ref doesn't fit with the narrative of "never a penalty", "worse penalty decision ever", etc, etc.

I guess this tournament was likely to be a duel between Makkelie and Kuipers. If you think Makkelie performed well under pressure, then I suggest you see who is going to whistle the final. I hope Björn can keep the game under control. He is a decent enough ref IMO, but all in all this has been another tournament that has made me miss Pierluigi Collina. ’Course he couldn’t help in this final with Italy anyway, but nevertheless I miss him.

This shows both angles. As for direction irrelevant - 1m is 1m.

But If you honestly saying they were 1m alway before the ball was kicked I recommend Specsavers https://youtu.be/2LiEVZ4tObY
    Thank you for the link. It enabled me to make the screenshots I needed to illustrate the situation:

If you really cannot see the green grass between the two lines then I suggest you take up your own recommendation.

That's true, however, if it was clearly not a penalty VAR would have overruled it.
    VAR cannot overrule a referee.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Sea lions coming home everyone, here’s to a great match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Yes VAR gives advise but the ref ultimately has the final decision.

That's true, however, if it was clearly not a penalty VAR would have overruled it. Having reviewed the footage VAR didn't see any evidence that the referee had made a clear and obvious error and having seen the additional angle it's obvious why they came to this conclusion, it was a foul (or 2).

So VAR not overruling the ref doesn't fit with the narrative of "never a penalty", "worse penalty decision ever", etc, etc.
    But that is the essence of football: besides black and white, there is an infinite amount of grey shades. And a good referee knows when they should give a penalty and when not, even if they could. There is a reason only the best referees are admitted at such a tournament, and this was a situation where the ref could have, but shouldn't have. No VAR can remedy such a situation.

That is why good referees will let the scene play out and then check on the screen if they should give a penalty, especially close to the end of a semifinal.

But you knew that already.

Thank you for the link. It enabled me to make the screenshots I needed to illustrate the situation:

If you really cannot see the green grass between the two lines then I suggest you take up your own recommendation.
    Clearly your understanding of 1m is different from mine.

But it matters not. The goal stood and the rest is history.

Friedrich Nietzsche

R
    OK yes, but no referee is going to completely ignore VAR if they raise serious doubts about the decision. The reason the referee didn't look at the screen is almost certainly that VAR didn't question his decision. If the ref ignores VAR and then his decision is proved wrong he'll know that would be his last big game for a while.

R

Not true. The ref can award a goal for example and VAR can overturn it.

Friedrich Nietzsche

No it can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sea lions coming home everyone, here’s to a great match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha nice lampooning of the absurd game.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Nice to see you aren’t running out of subjects to be wrong about.

After reviewing a situation if the VAR’s view doesn’t agree with what the ref believes they have seen then they can recommend an overturn.
    VAR will not review under the auspice of ‘is the ref right or wrong’ but ‘is the decision a clear and obvious error’.
    Whatever VAR announce it is only advice and the final decision is always up to the referee in charge of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Haha nice lampooning of the absurd game.
    No, it’s political lampooning which shouldn’t be in this thread.

The Euros 2020

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Nice to see you aren’t running out of subjects to be wrong about.

After reviewing a situation if the VAR’s view doesn’t agree with what the ref believes they have seen then they can recommend an overturn.
    VAR will not review under the auspice of ‘is the ref right or wrong’ but ‘is the decision a clear and obvious error’.
    Whatever VAR announce it is only advice and the final decision is always up to the referee in charge of the game.
    Genuine question, but is that specific to Uefas use of VAR? Just thinking in terms of premier league how often ref would give a goal, not give a pen, VAR would have a look and make the final decision. Screen would say goal/no goal, etc. Only time I can think the ref got final say was in terms of bookings/sendings off when they would look at monitor (and very rarely). Can’t remember it happening in any other scenario but I could be wrong

Have you got any factual evidence to back up your claim?

R

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Kinda goes with and for any popular territory in GB these days but I’ll say no more.

Here’s to a clean and honourable final.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I disagree; it’s a lampooning of Diane Abbott who has a reputation of being very poor with figures.

Her political leanings in this instance are irrelevant; just because she is a politician doesn’t mean that every reference to her must be political.

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    Genuine question, but is that specific to Uefas use of VAR? Just thinking in terms of premier league how often ref would give a goal, not give a pen, VAR would have a look and make the final decision. Screen would say goal/no goal, etc. Only time I can think the ref got final say was in terms of bookings/sendings off when they would look at monitor (and very rarely). Can’t remember it happening in any other scenario but I could be wrong
    According to the Premier League's VAR Protocol 2020/21 Season they use the same IFAB/FIFA protocol as used by UEFA. That is underlined by B15 and K25 in the rules set out in the Premier League's Season 2020/21 Handbook.

According to the Premier League's VAR Protocol 2020/21 Season they use the same IFAB/FIFA protocol as used by UEFA. That is underlined by B15 and K25 in the rules set out in the Premier League's Season 2020/21 Handbook.
    Interesting that they apparently use the same protocols. VAR must have ruined around 1 in 4 premier league games last season. This tournament it’s been a revelation, easy to forget VAR is even there. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post

Thanks. Not one person has given a reason why one or both of the tackles are fair. It's great play by Sterling, the defenders can't cope and both miss or don't even try to get the ball. Whether Sterling goes down too easy is irrelevant there's no way Sterling was going to be able to control the ball after the defenders banged knees and hips with him.

Like you say anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul and no-one would bat an eyelid.

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    Interesting that they apparently use the same protocols. VAR must have ruined around 1 in 4 premier league games last season. This tournament it’s been a revelation, easy to forget VAR is even there. What gives?
    I imagine it’s down to UEFA vs FA interpretation/instructions. This tournament has demonstrated that it doesn’t have to be the ruination of the game, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    You've got no chance mate :) They really, really want to have the cake and eat it too...
    Saying it's never a penalty but not giving an explanation is pretty much the definition of having your cake and eating it. Again why is Jensen's "tackle" not a foul, please explain?

Master
    Saying it's never a penalty but not giving an explanation is pretty much the definition of having your cake and eating it. Again why is Jensen's "tackle" not a foul, please explain?
    Have you heard the term "contact sport"?

Have you heard the term "contact sport"?
    Yes it's a vague term used when someone can't give a specific explanation based on the actual incident.

I've watched hundreds of league 1 & 2 games so I've seen my fair share of pyhsical football and if a player is on a run and the defender just runs into them with no attempt to play the ball, preventing them from continuing their run with the ball, that is a clear foul.