closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Richard Mille...Why?

Craftsman

Richard Mille...Why?

I've noticed a large amount of celebs wearing these monsters recently.. At 159000 plus.. I just can't see the attraction... Huge on the wrist and just look audacious and to me plain ugly...
    If I was given one I honestly don't think I'd wear it.. Unless of course I'm on TV presenting F1!!!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’d have some in a heartbeat if I could afford to. An early model would make a great daily (price aside make mine a RM-001) as would the stunning RM-27-04 (the one that looks like a tennis racket). Many of the models are not to my taste but there’s something there for everyone (who has access) and the materials technology is breathtaking.

The guy is a visionary; an artist even. He ploughs his own furrow and seems not to need the approval of everyone so long as some people ‘get it‘ and patronise his work. It could easily have gone tits up for him taking the risks he did but I am so pleased that it worked out, even though his watches are out of my reach. The industry needs more characters like him.

Look through the entire catalog and read the technical details behind each model. It is truly impressive stuff.

So the super rich can show that they are super rich.

Utterly vulgar things.

Wouldn’t wear one at any price.

Two schools of though with RM.

1. Hugely vulgar tat for the super rich to show their status

2. Incredible engineering, exotic materials, ground breaking design

I think they’re fantastic watches and a true icon of modern watchmaking, but I will admit some models are just too blingy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If I had the money and the wrist, I'd buy one (if the discount was right) - chunky, but a few designs take my fancy, would be a great summer / weekend watch. As to why celebs have them, because they are celebs I'd say.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    So the super rich can show that they are super rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Utterly vulgar things.

Wouldn’t wear one at any price.
    To be fair, much of the world’s population would say the same about Rolex.

IYKYK.
    If you need to ask the question, you obviously don’t know and doubt if you ever will.i

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Yeh, we don’t all have to like the same things.

Unattainable price aside, I find them rather interesting…they do seem to fit more the sports watch than a more formal occasion watch, but interesting nonetheless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read about a RM watch for tennis player Nadal who wears one during his matches. It was designed with Nadal in mind and to withstand g-forces and whatever else a tennis player may subject the watch to. Nadal was requested not to baby the watch and play normally and the watch would not break.

From this perspective, I regard RM highly.

Ignoring the price, I would love to have one knowing that the g-forces I impart on the shopping trolley through the aisles in Sainsbury's will have no effect on the watch.

They look like they’d be a bit large on me, but I bloody love the tourbillon with the skull design.

Personally I think they’re a great modern example of watchmaking. A far more ‘WIS’ choice than a Hublot or a garish modern precious metal Rolex imho. Never think they are particularly flashy tbh

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I read about a RM watch for tennis player Nadal who wears one during his matches. It was designed with Nadal in mind and to withstand g-forces and whatever else a tennis player may subject the watch to. Nadal was requested not to baby the watch and play normally and the watch would not break.

From this perspective, I regard RM highly.

Ignoring the price, I would love to have one knowing that the g-forces I impart on the shopping trolley through the aisles in Sainsbury's will have no effect on the watch.

I'd be a lot more impressed if he wore it on his serving arm

I have only ever seen one Richard Mille up close. The one that looks like it's made of red and black plastic.

It was the worst looking watch I've ever seen. It was large, slab sided, loud, illegible; looked like it was an AliExpress £2 job. I understand the horrible thing was north of £200k.

I don't wish to offend anyone but this brands success is a mystery to me.

Craftsman
    I thought this would be an interesting topic.. I've seen a few models I didn't mind.. But the technology is a lot of waffle as far as I can read.. The movements are good.. But not revolutionary.. The legibility is awful on most..I agree he ploughs his own furrow.. But at the prices he charges this is no mission to improve horology.. Most of them are only waterproof to 5 ATM... As far as G is concerned..Bremont case a 2892 which survive an ejector seat...the Mille use incabloc the same as most brands..Casio G-Shock is capable of more...I believe this is purely a business model aimed at the absurdly wealthy.. It is without doubt a look at this watch..
    I get that they are indeed different. and some like that alone... But at this price point... It can only be about the money

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I have only ever seen one Richard Mille up close. The one that looks like it's made of red and black plastic.

It was the worst looking watch I've ever seen. It was large, slab sided, loud, illegible; looked like it was an AliExpress £2 job. I understand the horrible thing was north of £200k.

I don't wish to offend anyone but this brands success is a mystery to me.
    Only time will tell. None of us know how history will view these watches. (Certainly not me; I though Alain Silberstein was cool.) Iconoclastic design that challenges our ideas is important even if it fails though, otherwise wristwatches would all look like ref 96’s.

Royal Oak, Nautilus, Daytona were all considered outrageous or overpriced or plain ugly in their day. Lange 1 was like something from another planet, so too the first watches from FP Journe, Vianey Halter and other independents now considered design classics. Try to buy a Cartier pebble or crash nowadays and see how tastes change.

Nowadays we have mb&f, urwerk, Richard Mille etc flying the flag and good luck to them I say. The one I would most likely put my fortune in (if I had one) would be Mille. The utterly unconstrained approach to design and manufacture is the stuff of genius... potentially.

Alternatively, if you are in the £1M+ market for a watch (which is where some RM models sit) you could have this week’s launch from one of the more established brands....

🤮
    Last edited by Satori; 19th June 2021 at 21:39.

Only time will tell. None of us know how history will view these watches. (Certainly not me; I though Alain Silberstein was cool.) Iconoclastic design that challenges our ideas is important even if it fails though, otherwise wristwatches would all look like ref 96’s.

Royal Oak, Nautilus, Daytona were all considered outrageous or overpriced or plain ugly in their day. Lange 1 was like something from another planet, so too the first watches from FP Journe, Vianey Halter and other independents now considered design classics. Try to buy a Cartier pebble or crash nowadays and see how tastes change.

Nowadays we have mb&f, urwerk, Richard Mille etc flying the flag and good luck to them I say. The one I would most likely put my fortune in (if I had one) would be Mille. The utterly unconstrained approach to design and manufacture is the stuff of genius... potentially.
    I know that we are in a subjective area here and different tastes are impossible to weigh against each other. I'm fairly sure this is the one I saw in the flesh;

I don't think I'd reach down to pick it up off the footpath. £200k...

Master
    I used to think they were ridiculous. Now I really like them. The prices are absurd though.

I have seen a few up close, I actually like them, they are cool and different. Would I have one, nope.
    There are loads of watches I like, but on my wrist, nope.
    For the money I would wear something a little under the radar.

Craftsman
    ^^^

Rolex is to the middle class, what RM is to the super rich.

Recently on holiday I was asked if I had one when discussing watches, it was my bolt driver who asked, so it was a bit of a surprise.

If I had to add one from the brand it would be the 33-02.
    The lack of the toureau case & thickness is the only appeal.

Are there any RM alternatives / homages?

Franck Muller seems to do one. The Vanguard range isn’t too dissimilar and about 5% of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

Franck Muller seems to do one. The Vanguard range isn’t too dissimilar and about 5% of the price.

The Hublot Spirit of Big Bang range

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I know that we are in a subjective area here and different tastes are impossible to weigh against each other. I'm fairly sure this is the one I saw in the flesh;

I don't think I'd reach down to pick it up off the footpath. £200k...
    RM11. That would be on my lottery list, though not in that colour.

Thing is, if you did pick it up off the footpath you should be able to sell it on for £300k-350k. Sadly that is also part of the appeal of the brand. You don’t put money at too much risk when you buy one and can make money flipping them. Like Rolex etc they have become an asset class.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

This Muller Skafander looks very much like a Richard Mille:

(taken from https://watchesbysjx.com/2021/06/fra...ive-watch.html)

simon

It's like when you wear a Carhartt beanie. No one knows whether you're a professional forklift driver or just a hipster. When wearing a RM watch, no one really knows if it's a £200k piece or a £2 vending machine/Happy Meal watch.

So, these are to confuse people, maybe?

You really need to see one close up to appreciate the craftsmanship.

Lots of the designs are too OTT, but if I win the lottery I’d have one of the more understated models.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    RM has got it’s own niche of super-expensive pieces which is as much about bragging as it is about horological expertise.

Having said that I feel that most of the people parading them on TV haven’t actually paid, more likely RM seeks a collaboration with the celeb which includes a couple of freebie pieces as long as said celeb parades the piece, much like the vaunted David Beckham U-boat situation
    Last edited by RJM25R; 20th June 2021 at 17:26.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Having said that I feel that most of the people parading them on TV haven’t actually paid, more likely RM seeks a collaboration with the celeb which includes a couple of freebie pieces as long as said celeb parades the piece
    along that lines but I suspect that many of the watches seen on tv are simply loaned, in many ways similar to the ultra expensive necklaces that are seen around celebrities necks at the Oscars.

Richard Mille have done a fantastic marketing campaign, their history doesn't read much differently to other recent watch brands as far as I can tell, they're simply aiming their product entirely at a market that has no problems paying that kind of money for an 'exclusive' watch. I think they're awful but isn't that just a trait of ultra expensive watches and jewellery, they can be very gaudy.

Craftsman
    Why? Why not?
    Different tastes and exclusivity all play a part. The fact that they are increasing in value is pretty bonkers to me baring in mind the starting point but that's the case with many assets.

I think it's great that watchmaking has companies that do their own thing. I'd much rather see RM than another microbrand pumping out more Sub clones. Then again, I am a big fan of Konstantin Chaykin & Alexander Shorokhoff for their more outlandish output so it's probably no surprise.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive handled quite a few and the engineering, materials and finishing is spectacular.
    I love them and would have a RM055 Yas Marina or a RM035-01 Nadal white ultimate edition in a heartbeat.

Craftsman
    Never liked them, not my bag

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm very fond of the time only versions. I love a funky case design, and Richard Mille cases have a lot of funk (in a good way). Sadly I've never handled one, but I've ogled them through windows and thought they looked like beautifully over-the-top pieces of engineering.

I'm also old enough to remember considering this a decade or so ago: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ONE-TO-BLOWERS. I'm sure Oliver had a price of around £18k on that, and now they hover around £80k on Chrono24. So, if anybody has an RM005 for £18k, drop me a line - the cheque is in the post!

simon
    Last edited by gladders; 21st June 2021 at 16:06.

We like the same watches ! And yes I remember in about 2013 thinking an RM would be my next watch before the prices took off completely.

Would certainly wear one of the earlier ones and haven't really looked recently.