closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Canary Wharf/ Isle of Dogs

Master

Canary Wharf/ Isle of Dogs

Going to London for a couple of days next week. Staying in St Martin’s Lane. First day, bit of shopping, trip to AP House and a meal out.

Second day my son is getting the keys to his flat in the Isle of Dogs as he’s starting work in Canary Wharf (Barclays graduate scheme - Churchill place I think). Just doing the ‘dad’ thing of going to have a look, meeting his flat mate etc. Thought I’d take them out for a meal in the area and quick google there’s a Goucho steakhouse and a Burger and Lobster. Any other suggestions? We’ll have a wander around the area, anything worth a look at?

Royal China is good for Dim Sum at Canary Wharf, as is the Floating Lotus on the Isle of Dogs. There’s also a Big Easy in Canary Wharf, I haven’t been there myself but used to eat at the one on Kings Road quite a bit.

There’s the shopping centre at Canary Wharf which has a few AD’s. A few stops away on the jubilee line there are now some outlets over in the o2; New Balance, Lacoste, Nike, CK etc.

I quite like the Cabot place shopping mall. It’s small but a good selection of ADs/Bremont/Watchfinder.

Blog Entries
    The Grapes on Narrow St, great Fish n Chips overlooking the Thames & a decent selection of beers.

z

As it sounds like a celebratory meal, can I wholeheartedly recommend the Boisdale at Canary Wharf. Setting, food, atmosphere all excellent.

Alternatively if you prefer something with a bit more old-style character, you won’t find it at Canary Wharf, but Greenwich is only a few minutes away. The Guildford Arms is an excellent gastropub, although I qualify that by saying that our last visit was pre-COVID.

This is our corner of London when we are in the UK so we know the area reasonably well- Greenwich tends to be our go-to for a night out if we aren’t venturing into central London.

Master
    Thanks all I’ll take a look at the suggestions.

Adrian, coincidentally he was looking at Greenwich to live - we went up a few weeks ago and really liked the area. In the end one of the guys he’s sharing with found an amazing apartment about 15 minutes walk from where they are working. I think prices have softened and they got a good deal. They have an amazing opportunity on this grad scheme do yes it’s a bit of a celebration :-)

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Alternatively if you prefer something with a bit more old-style character, you won’t find it at Canary Wharf, but Greenwich is only a few minutes away. The Guildford Arms is an excellent gastropub, although I qualify that by saying that our last visit was pre-COVID.

This is our corner of London when we are in the UK so we know the area reasonably well- Greenwich tends to be our go-to for a night out if we aren’t venturing into central London.

Blog Entries
    Get in The Ned for a couple, it’s nice and The Duck and Waffle for the view, well the old one was good.

Have fun pal.

Pitch

I would add Goodman in Canary Wharf, just amazing steak and great service.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Another vote for Royal China

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    Royal China is good for Dim Sum at Canary Wharf, as is the Floating Lotus on the Isle of Dogs. There’s also a Big Easy in Canary Wharf, I haven’t been there myself but used to eat at the one on Kings Road quite a bit.

There’s the shopping centre at Canary Wharf which has a few AD’s. A few stops away on the jubilee line there are now some outlets over in the o2; New Balance, Lacoste, Nike, CK etc.
    Sent from my SM-N975F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    The Gun is a nice Riverside pub with gastro food

Sent from my SM-N975F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    The Grapes on Narrow St, great Fish n Chips overlooking the Thames & a decent selection of beers.

z
    I would recommend The Grapes too. A short walk from Canary Wharf and apparently owned by Sir Ian McKellen.

There's also Ippudo for great ramen, the Big Easy for BBQ. Plenty of choices.

I used to live on the Isle of Dogs for a couple of years and still fairly close now. It's mostly a decent residential area but there were some dodgier parts, at least when I used to live there. It might've improved after (or because) I left! The Mudchute farm is worth a visit if they're open to visitors. You can also easily take the DLR or take the foot tunnel to Cutty Sark for the Greenwich market, naval museum and park.

BrewDog is opposite Barclays.

Have a few Jet Black Hearts. The food is secondary.

Canary Wharf is probably more depressing than its ever been at the moment; stay on the Jubilee and go out somewhere in the west end with him!

Another favourite place of ours - the Ivy Cafe at Blackheath. Less formal than the original Covent Garden Ivy but the food and ambience are excellent, and I think the surrounding area is the loveliest part of SE London.

From one Bristol alumnus to another, please convey my congratulations to your son Stephen.

Master
    As it sounds like a celebratory meal, can I wholeheartedly recommend the Boisdale at Canary Wharf. Setting, food, atmosphere all excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes1 View Post
    I would add Goodman in Canary Wharf, just amazing steak and great service.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    I’d agree about the setting and ambiance of Boisdale especially if there is live music, but have to say I’ve always been nonplussed over their food, it’s better than Gaucho but not as good as Goodmans by some margin.

We’ve had a apartment on the island for many years now. Though we spend almost all out time on the coast in West Sussex these days.

Here’s a few thoughts for you and your son for places off the wharf.

The grapes on narrow st already mentioned is a nice old riverside pub with restaurant above, away along narrow st is La Figa which is an excellent Italian bistro/pizzeria, the best in the area I’d say.

Heading south from the wharf is the George at crossharbour is one of the better pubs on the island and gets you away from the chain offerings on the wharf, the pepper st ontiod is a nice bar with dock side seating but service could be a bit hit’n’miss.

Byblos harbour is a good Middle Eastern restaurant as is Moira on the corner of byng st

We always found Lime or the Gaylord to be reliable and consistent Indians

Greenwich has the better pubs, there’s a nice walk along the river bank stoping off at the Trafalgar and Cutty Sark(good pub food here) then head inland to plume of feathers on the edge of the park and the miter is always a vibrant pint.

Let me know if either of you have any Q’s

Edit: I forgot to say if you wanted to try the local delicacy pie, mash and liquor, which I’d recommend whole heartedly then avoid the tourist trap goddards in Greenwich and take a trip on the dlr to chrisp st market and Maureens, some of the best in London and it’s also the best salt beef beigel outside of brick lane.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 19th June 2021 at 09:59.

Master
    From one Bristol alumnus to another, please convey my congratulations to your son Stephen.
    He says many thanks Adrian. He’s loved his time in Bristol and we’ve loved visiting him there, which is a bit of a shame as we won’t go so much now. That said we’ll have more trips to London to look forward to :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I’d agree about the setting and ambiance of Boisdale especially if there is live music, but have to say I’ve always been nonplussed over their food, it’s better than Gaucho but not as good as Goodmans by some margin.

We’ve had a apartment on the island for many years now. Though we spend almost all out time on the coast in West Sussex these days.

Here’s a few thoughts for you and your son for places off the wharf.

The grapes on narrow st already mentioned is a nice old riverside pub with restaurant above, away along narrow st is La Figa which is an excellent Italian bistro/pizzeria, the best in the area I’d say.

Heading south from the wharf is the George at crossharbour is one of the better pubs on the island and gets you away from the chain offerings on the wharf, the pepper st ontiod is a nice bar with dock side seating but service could be a bit hit’n’miss.

Byblos harbour is a good Middle Eastern restaurant as is Moira on the corner of byng st

We always found Lime or the Gaylord to be reliable and consistent Indians

Greenwich has the better pubs, there’s a nice walk along the river bank stoping off at the Trafalgar and Cutty Sark(good pub food here) then head inland to plume of feathers on the edge of the park and the miter is always a vibrant pint.

Let me know if either of you have any Q’s

Edit: I forgot to say if you wanted to try the local delicacy pie, mash and liquor, which I’d recommend whole heartedly then avoid the tourist trap goddards in Greenwich and take a trip on the dlr to chrisp st market and Maureens, some of the best in London and it’s also the best salt beef beigel outside of brick lane.
    Many thanks, he’s requested I screenshot him this so he can work through them and the others :-)