closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Motor tour in the Far North of England

Motor tour in the Far North of England

At last night's vGTG, I was asked to recount a favourite route of mine when on a motor tour. I drive old cars, so can't go fast, so I go pretty instead.

This is my preferred route from my home in Manchester to some of my favourite stopover pubs when we go to stay with Riley-owning friends in Scotland.

Those of you with high-powered executive jobs could take part in this tour via Google Earth, as indeed some did last night.

There are so many pretty routes to explore all over the British Isles; this is one of the best. The bare bones of the route:

Start from one of my favourite pubs, the Maypole in Long Preston, just south from Settle.
    Drive through Settle on the B6480, then take the B6479 through Horton-in-Ribbledale.
    Right at the T-junction onto the B6255, stopping to admire the Ribblehead Viaduct, then first left onto the unclassified road signposted "Dent, Sedbergh".
    Drive alongside the River Dee until you take the right turn onto the even more unclassified road s/p Garsdale Head.
    This will take you past Dent and Garsdale stations on the Settle-Carlisle railway line and into Garsdale Head. Turn right on the A684 then first left on the B6259 s/p Kirkby Stephen.
    You are following the infant River Eden. After driving through Outhgill, as the B road sweeps right, by a ruined castle (which I think is called Pendragon Castle) turn left onto the unclassified road known as Tommy Road; there is a warning about this road not being suitable for HGVs. This takes you to Ravensstonedale and Newbiggin. In Newbiggin, take the u/c road s/p Kelleth. Through Kelleth, turn right s/p Raisbeck, Orton.
    On the B6261 in Orton turn right s/p Shap, Appleby. That is the B6260; follow the Appleby sign in Orton.
    Turn left off the B6260 s/p Crosby Ravensworth. In Crosby Ravensworth, cross the River Lyvennet by the church; follow the road to the Y-jct and turn left through King's Meaburn.
    Follow the "Penrith, Appleby" fingerpost sign.
    At the Give Way sign, turn left s/p Cliburn, Penrith.
    At the Xroads in Cliburn, by the Pheasant Inn, turn right s/p Temple Sowerby.
    Drive under the A66 following Temple Sowerby, then turn right s/p Culgaith B6412.
    Stay on the B6412 through Great Salkeld into Lazonby. I would recommend that if you have time you divert in Great Salkeld following the (hard-to-spot) signs for Long Meg and her Daughters, an impressive and large stone circle.
    In Lazonby, by the Midland Hotel, turn right onto the B6413 s/p Kirkoswald, Brampton.
    Follow this road through Castle Carrock (note the unique village sign) and you will end up in relative civilisation in Brampton.
    I would recommend, just after Castle Carrock, that you turn right following the (hard-to-spot) sign for Talkin, where another of my favourite pubs, The Blacksmiths, is our regular overnight stop en route to Scotland.

That will do for today's trip. You have travelled around 60 miles; I have never done it in less than three hours!

Plenty more where that came from. Our route from the Blacksmiths to The Auld Cross Keys, Denholm (in the Teviot valley) takes in spectacular views of Hadrian's Wall and yet more stunning scenery. Just shout.

That is very interesting, I will save that for future use- thanks. We used to do a lot of 'high speed' European touring, but am now looking towards doing more leisurely sight seeing tours - maybe I'm finally growing up a bit!

Aw, thanks Shrek.
    It is a strange post; it sprang from an ad-hoc chat we had on the virtual Get-Together. I was hoping that some would print it off for possible future use. It is also eminently possible to join and/or leave at various points along the route. I would say that the highlights are the Settle/Carlisle stretch and the Meaburns.
    Plenty more where that came from!

Here is a taster of the route - the target destination:

Superb.....thanks Alec.

Interesting photo-bomb too!
    Last edited by Kirk280; 21st June 2021 at 12:35.

The Blacksmiths looks good. Nice distance from Durham for a pedal over for an overnighter once relative normality returns. Bit lumpy up Weardale and over Alston mind but.
    F.T.F.A.