closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: loving the black Bay 36

loving the black Bay 36

I've owned this for 2 weeks and it hasn't come off my wrist, its even keeping my tritium explorer 2 polar off my wrist.

It's a super well made watch and suits the traditional oyster I'm glad they resisted the faux rivet bracelet.

My only gripe is the lack of anti glare on the crystal, I have been told its possible to get this done so I'll be keeping a keen eye out for examples.

I was after a explorer 1 and thought this might help me out for a while but I'm starting to love it for its own style.
    The dial lume is so bright especially at dusk and the maxi indices and snowflake hands really stand out.

The size is perfect and is so comfortable and suits both casual and dressy attire in fact it would look fantastic on any suave secret agent.

Going back to its size I have 7 3/4 inch wrists and sits perfect but I see people saying I have 6 inch wrists and 36mm is too Diddy? I do have a Tudor P01 and it's big but both suit my wrist.

One guy commented it would be perfect for my wife but it's not a man's watch?
    Well I'm very happy with the size 36-39mm is my sweet spot with occasional trips a few mm either side.

Any more love for the BB 36 either Black or Blue?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I agree that they are a very nice watch. I have the BB41 and despite a poor start with it and a four month wait for it to be fixed, I am growing attached to it again. It has been a daily wear to try and bond with it again and it seems to be working well now.

That is a superb watch and it used to be a grail watch for me.
    I loved it but eventually sold it and later on got my hands on a bb58 as a replacement, as I didn't cope that well with the relative shininess of it and enjoy way more matte colours and brushed surfaces.

That being said I think it's an excellent watch, very legible and very comfortable thanks to its compacity and reasonable weight. A perfect daily wearer for sure

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks great.

36mm is not too small for my 8" wrist, each to their own.

Owned mine for around 2 and a half years now, can't see myself selling it - 7.25" wrist, for reference.

It's the snick-snick of the spring-loaded ceramic ball bearing folding clasp that creates the impression of quality every time I wear it, and I agree that it's a very versatile watch.

Oban coffee stop

BB36
    Last edited by CardShark; 18th June 2021 at 13:34.

Craftsman
    Very nice, I don’t see how anyone who knows what they are talking about can call that a women’s watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    Very nice, I don’t see how anyone who knows what they are talking about can call that a women’s watch.
    Some of these so called fan forums have way too much to say, when I purchased my p01 I knew it was marmite but one guy said man you have no taste lol
    I suppose I can’t stand to see a tiny wrist with a watch the size of a dinner plate on it so horses for coarses.

I have ww2 watch owned and worn at Tobruk buy an Australian Tobruk Rat this comes in at a massive 28mm I wear it occasionally and it gets attention and that’s a real mans watch 👌

It’s great as a daily wear. Not flashy - just understated and quite elegant. Great watch

Cracking watch, looks great.

In my pursuit of a perfect understated black dial daily wearer I had the BB41 for about a year. Liked everything about it - all the things you mention, apart from the size, as it was a few mm too big. I have 6.75” wrists and in hindsight I should’ve gone with the 36 but it felt so dainty when I tried it on that I was put off. No doubt I would’ve got used to it, but I have always wished Tudor would do either this watch or the Ranger in a 38. Settled on an OP39 in the end but if I was starting that journey again knowing what I know now the BB36 would’ve been a great buy.

If I may ask, how is the time keeping on them?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

This bb36 in 38mm would have been amazing for sure, but as mentioned, you get used to the 36mm.

Mine was within +1.5 sec/day

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    This bb36 in 38mm would have been amazing for sure, but as mentioned, you get used to the 36mm.

Mine was within +1.5 sec/day
    Hmm, mine back from a Tudor warranty repair to resolve a time keeping issue is running at about +6 seconds a day.

Master
    Classy and I suspect v comfortable. Strikes me as a very versatile watch and a serious candidate for a one watch collection. I had the 41 but, in that size, competed with too many others. My best one watch candidate is explorer 1 39mm but I think this provides it with serious competition.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

lovely watch, strange that they never seem to come up for sale here, ive had a wtb out for ages- i'd love a nicely used one as daily beater.

Master
    I have the 41 and love it, especially with the blue dial. That said, I rarely wear it, so could be open to offers on it - an unworn is a waste of a watch for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If I may ask, how is the time keeping on them?
    Been a while since I checked mine however I'm sure it was no more than maybe 3-4 seconds out over 24h.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Been a while since I checked mine however I'm sure it was no more than maybe 3-4 seconds out over 24h.
    Mines about the same I stopped checking it after a few days though and I’ve not had to change the time so far.

Thank you.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Thank you.
    Your very welcome 🤗

Craftsman
    Had my heart set on a blue dialled 36 for a long LONG time, especially after lusting for a 36mm Explorer for a while. I went to my local goldsmiths, and in the metal I was a little underwhelmed with it, so ended up with a BB58. There was nothing in particular that didn’t do it for me, and it certainly wasn’t the size, as I have rather petite wrists! I still can’t put my finger on it, and I desperately wanted to love it, but just couldn’t. Thankfully, I’ll hopefully be able to scratch that 36mm Explorer itch with the new Rolex 124270. Let’s hope I don’t feel the same way about the Explorer as I did the BB36.

Looks great OP. I got my first Tudor recently and I'm very impressed with the quality of them. It seems ridiculous to say but nowadays some of the range are a bit of a bargain. Compare the rrp of a bb36 to the new Explorer36. Wow!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Looks great OP. I got my first Tudor recently and I'm very impressed with the quality of them. It seems ridiculous to say but nowadays some of the range are a bit of a bargain. Compare the rrp of a bb36 to the new Explorer36. Wow!
    IMO you get what you pay for with both Tudor and Rolex. The new Sellita fitted BB36 is nowhere near comparable to the new 124270 other than in their dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    IMO you get what you pay for with both Tudor and Rolex. The new Sellita fitted BB36 is nowhere near comparable to the new 124270 other than in their dimensions.

Fair enough. The 124270 is now nearly £3k more rrp than the BB36 though. I haven't experienced a BB36 but I do have a BB58 and the quality appears to be on par with my 114270 (and the older 5 digit subs for that matter).

Im not sure the BB36's engine is necessarily a bad thing either. My IWC Mark18 has a Sellita calibre in it and it's one of my most accurate watches at +/-0 secs when worn on wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post

I have put my name on the waiting list for a 124270 but they say it could be a very long wait so the BB36 has a very long itch time to cover lol.

tried one of those at WoS today, i really liked the simplicity of the dial, which i perhaps prefer to the explorer (i've owned both 36 and 39mm). I see what you guys mean about the clasp as well, the whole thing feels really solid and good quality. very impressive all in all.

i gave in.. really liking the black bay so far. im actually surprised that it doesnt feel insubstantial at all after the 39mm explorer.

Craftsman
    Great photos. I had one of these for a very short time, thinking I was buying a reincarnation of the 1016, but instantly finding it didn’t have that tool feel at all to me on the wrist for a bunch of reasons, chief amongst them being it’s a very gloss and glittery watch, so, sadly, not to my taste.
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 28th June 2021 at 21:03.

interesting, to me the brutal simplicity of the dial and nice solid-feeling case and bracelet give it quite a toolish vibe. more so than the explorer perhaps.. never tried a 1016 though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    interesting, to me the brutal simplicity of the dial and nice solid-feeling case and bracelet give it quite a toolish vibe. more so than the explorer perhaps.. never tried a 1016 though.
    I thought much the same, and really, really wanted to like it; but -to me- it just didn’t work. (I notice someone’s said something similar earlier in the thread.)

Fortunately, we all like different things, so me not liking it may have no read across at all to others - several in the thread clearly love the aesthetic 👍👍

Well, it certainly has more bling with its flat chrystal and enamel dial but it's a sort of thin big block case which wears extremely well. And there are no protruding solid end links too making if a very comfy watch.

I met a woman wearing it once, we took a double wrist shot. It was fun, I rember thinking thank god she's not wearing a sub or a daytona!
    Anyway, mine says hi

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

i had a 36mm explorer years back, and remember being set up on a blind date with a woman who wore a panerai, perhaps one of the things that made me sell it haha.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    i had a 36mm explorer years back, and remember being set up on a blind date with a woman who wore a panerai, perhaps one of the things that made me sell it haha.
    Both designed by the same man. How did the date go, or selling it tells me all I need to know?
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

are they really designed by the same man? i remember thinking the panerai looked like a quite sexy oversized metal cuff/bracelet on her skinny arm.

as to your question, despite willowy frame, she was an italian speed freak into motorcycle racing, while i still struggle on a pushbike, so guess you can imagine.

I think the simplicity is the charm of this watch, I'm a barber and run too appointments so a quick glance and I know the time at an instance.
    I have a 16570 explorer 2 polar when I have glance I can never tell the time instantly. I often mistake the 24h hand for the minute hand? it's a beautiful dial but nowhere near as legible as the bb36.

Just read this back and I'm trying to turn barbering into a life or death timing situation lol

My 2 most legible watches both 36mm alas the mk xi is too precious for the rough and tough environment of barbering!!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Baden H; 30th June 2021 at 09:15.

wow that mark xi is lovely

Great watch.

Love the simple, handsome design - just perfect.

Well made, like any Tudor I’ve worn.

It’s a watch forum cliche to hate the snowflake hour hand, but I think it’s great: practical, with a history behind it and a very distinctive look.

36mm is also just right - comfortable, understated & versatile. Taste/style is subjective of course, but many who deem it a women’s watch are probably wearing a watch that looks too big on them.

I’m very much into the engineering, performance & innovation that differentiates movements, but in everyday use a high-grade, well-regulated ETA/Sellita in good nick will do its job just about as well as any Rolex movement. And come service time the cost will be wallet-friendly too.

Regardless of the price I pay for a watch, I always like to feel that I’m getting good value for my hard-earned, and the BB36 is a great buy.