closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Blanket weed pestilence

Master

Blanket weed pestilence

Is anyone else having major troubles with blanket weed this year. I’m having to clean my pond pump casing out every few days. I’ve had my pond about 15 yrs and never known it as bad.

Does anyone have any miracle solutions

I was told it’s phosphates farmers put down seeping into the water table and getting into the water supply, then the UV makes it grow, the answer is fill it with rain water, much easier said than done.

My parents swear by Barley straw as a natural remedy. Their pond is crystal clear. Hope it helps.

Craftsman
    Blanket answer is what I use and find it works well. You might want to follow it up with sludge answer a week after.

Craftsman
    Supposedly the blanket weed is a real issue this season, I’m having to clean out the pump regularly. All of the solutions previously mentioned are effective but it’s a PITA this year for some reason.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I was told it’s phosphates farmers put down seeping into the water table and getting into the water supply, then the UV makes it grow, the answer is fill it with rain water, much easier said than done.
    Not quite, it's nitrates that are the problem. It's a major problem in the south and as part of gaining consent for new housing schemes, developers typically have to acquire nitrate mitigation credits to help reverse the problem. In their simplest form, a scheme may me converting what was previously agricultural land back into public open space, so some councils now create these schemes in return for receiving a payment from the developer.

This stuff works very well and has had zero problems for my Koi..

Aqua Source Blanket Resolve

Available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Source...4001687&sr=8-1

We have very high phosphate in tap water supply which feeds Algae growth…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Blanket weed is causing me problems this year also,not been this bad for years.

I've only had a pond for about 6-months so am pretty clueless...all the pictures of blanketweed I've seen look like fine slimy strands floating on the surface. I have a lot of this, which grows from the side and eventually falls off forming clumps that end up in the filter unless I net them out regularly. Is is just a different type of blanket weed from the pictures on google I see?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I've only had a pond for about 6-months so am pretty clueless...all the pictures of blanketweed I've seen look like fine slimy strands floating on the surface. I have a lot of this, which grows from the side and eventually falls off forming clumps that end up in the filter unless I net them out regularly. Is is just a different type of blanket weed from the pictures on google I see?

That looks more like curly-leaf pond weed from the picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    Just been doing some googling and I think it might be willow moss. I have very little blanket weed it seems but its this stuff that ends up in the filters.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

We are getting similar problems in our pond, and especially in a deck-pond water feature on our decking. It has a UV filter - is that exacerbating the problem this year then?

Any info gratefully received.

We also use barley straw bales, but they seem to be having little effect this season (have always worked in the past).
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    Blanket answer is what I use and find it works well. You might want to follow it up with sludge answer a week after.
    Top recommendation. Blanket Answer works like a charm and is very quick with no harm to fish or other plants. Sludge Answer is very effective on the blanket weed that disintegrates to the bottom after using Blanket Answer, but does take a little time to see the effects, so I tend to do a quick pond vac first.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    It sounds like the Blanket Answer might be worth a try for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    It sounds like the Blanket Answer might be worth a try for me
    Lots of videos on YouTube showing 'how to' and the great results. I use it on my 5000 litre pond and can highly recommend it. No need to turn off the pump/filter or UV.

If you follow it up with Sludge Answer once the blanket weed has died back, again highly recommended, then you will need to turn off the UV for a couple of days after putting it in.

HTH.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

It has been a bad year for me. My pond is about 25ftx20ft and about 5ft at its deepest.
    I have spent 3 days in Waders skimming the stuff out! I do use Barley straw but there is just too large a volume of water to make additives affordable.

Master
    Why is it so bad this year