closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A watch changed to fit its theme.

A watch changed to fit its theme.

I am fond of the original AW-500’s and have a number.

The AW-500’s are underrated classics imo. They were large watches for their time and with the screwback they have a real presence on the wrist. The 380 models have calendar, stopwatch, dual time, and alarm modes. The analog hands are set directly from the top button. The straps are made of a very soft and comfortable resin composition and of course it has that classic asymmetric dial meaning the LCD is never covered by the hands a neat solution to the ana/digi problem that Casio seem to have let die. The case backs are done to a nice mirror finish.

I recently bought this one with a view to doing a dye job on it.

It is the AW-500NS-7E1T Polar Science watch. There were a few variations of these Polar Science models, they had different animals on the face, this is a polar bear, though all the watches were jelly.

The watches are from a time where all light coloured jelly G Shocks yellowed if worn regularly or exposed to sunlight. I don’t like the sort of ‘pee’ yellow they transform into. I do like the original screwback models though and saw this one for sale pretty cheaply. Given the theme of the watch and its colour scheme I thought it would be highly suitable for a dye job.

So this was done and the watch looks like this now.

Some wrist shots.

I am pleased with how it turned out, the colour seems to suit the watch and matches the blue on the hands and the buttons, could almost be stock, much better than the yellow it had turned into.

Mitch

Craftsman
    That's a great transformation!

I wasn't aware of these but it really speaks to the 90's kid in me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    That's a great transformation!

I wasn't aware of these but it really speaks to the 90's kid in me.

[/URL]
    These AW-500's were the very first analogue G Shocks. Casio have recently issued homages to the design but they no longer have the screwback apart from an expensive full metal one.

I really like them as you can tell!

Mitch