closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1930's safe restoration/rebuild

1930's safe restoration/rebuild

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Love safes, i saved the one from Scunthorpe Postoffice from the demo/scrapman about 20 years ago, i have it now at the side of my sofa and keep my Malts in it. I have restored it externally but left the interior. Being from a main post office the lock needs two keys to gain entry, you would have to kidnap coerce two individuals to open it. There is the same safe in the gatekeepers lodge at the tower.

Have a pair of pillar boxes on my patio as sentries.
    Last edited by MCFastybloke; 17th June 2021 at 20:12.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Love safes, i saved the one from Scunthorpe Postoffice from the demo/scrapman about 20 years ago, i have it now at the side of my sofa and keep my Malts in it. I have restored it externally but left the interior. Being from a main post office the lock needs two keys to gain entry, you would have to kidnap coerce two individuals to open it. There is the same safe in the gatekeepers lodge at the tower.

Nice job on the safe, I would love a pillar box but as you know they fetch strong money now.

Master
    The Pillar boxes are very dear now,had mine 10 years or so now

Would love a VR and an ER (Edward) to make the set up

SydR
    Nice result if that’s what is being looked for but that wasn’t a restoration. It was a destruction of the history of the safe to give a more modern aesthetic to the item.

Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Nice result if that’s what is being looked for but that wasn’t a restoration. It was a destruction of the history of the safe to give a more modern aesthetic to the item.

Did you watch the video? The safe had been bastardized and altered already. It was restored to an improved working condition. I put these videos up as a little light hearted fun yet the forum negativity pervades in every corner. F*** it.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries

Had a similar safe in our last house, was inherited from the in-laws. You couldn't close the door quickly , you had to do it slowly to let the air escape as the door was that close fitting!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Did you watch the video? The safe had been bastardized and altered already. It was restored to an improved working condition. I put these videos up as a little light hearted fun yet the forum negativity pervades in every corner. F*** it.
    Yes I did watch the video and have seen others by the same individual. There are no doubt skills in getting that level of finish but, like a well known American restorer on TV it often seems overdone and a more sympathetic restoration may be in order.

Master
    Very nice result. It's a bit of a battle between the My Mechanics & the Meine Mechaniker channels, with my vote going to the former, although he's been quiet for a few months.

Master
    i enjoyed that ,thank you.about 10 yrs ago i found an old cast steel safe in a skip.with the owners permission a friend and i managed to wrestle it into my pickup truck.there were no keys but luckily it was unlocked.i managed to get the lock itself out and took it to a locksmiths to ask for a replacement.they didnt really want to know and were unhelpfull.feeling quite despondant i wandered up the road to the local ironmongers.i asked if they would by any chance they be able to source me a simular lock.David the owner said"no but if you leave the old lock with me for a couple of days i will make you some keys for it ,£10 each"!.after that the restoration was plain sailing,just a good clean up and repainting and polishing up the pretty brass pieces.the interior was left original.the locksmiths are long gone,but the ironmongers are still there and thriving.the safe is giving good service and aquired a bit of patina of use....
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 18th June 2021 at 10:46. Reason: spelin

The Pillar boxes are very dear now,had mine 10 years or so now
    Would love a VR and an ER (Edward) to make the set up
    Love that ! [Have you got full sets of day plates (Mon-Sun) for each?]. Out of interest, when you touched up the exterior, is there is a paint colour "Pillar box red"?

P.S. You could have His n Her boxes, and post each other messages (handy in times of argument).

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    Is the canon pointing at it a persuader when you struggle to open is?

Lovely bit of kit, though.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Love that ! [Have you got full sets of day plates (Mon-Sun) for each?]. Out of interest, when you touched up the exterior, is there is a paint colour "Pillar box red"?

P.S. You could have His n Her boxes, and post each other messages (handy in times of argument).

Yes i do have full sets of date plates, the mail baskets for both,altho they are not fitted, i use them as drink cabinet when having guests round. When i got them they were both grit blasted then primed before we hand painted them with hammarite red,wife did the gold. They both had a topcoat refresh last year. I also own some Avery Scales rescued from Doncaster Railway Station Parcel office,the Clocking in clock from liverpool station and a Tann TS4 , the 6 footer,not from the thirties but a stalwart of british engineering.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Is the canon pointing at it a persuader when you struggle to open is?

Lovely bit of kit, though.
    hadnt though of that ,its this beastie which i restored during the second lockdown.beercan for scale...

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hadnt though of that ,its this beastie which i restored during the second lockdown.beercan for scale...
    Nice work, too.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.