closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hill Walking Boots

Hill Walking Boots

After deciding to get out into the hills, and as I've found I'll probably need a decent pair of hill walking boots. Due to my dodgy knees, comfort is a premium as will a decent level of protection around the ankles(gtx style ? ).Also, due to our glorious climate, Gore-Tex(or similar) is a big advantage. In terms of use, I'll be keeping to low, to low-medium levels of difficulty level, so it does not have to be anything too technical.

I did do a lot of hill/mountain climbing in my youth but of course I'm a bit out of touch with all the new boot technology, I'd therefore appreciate therefore any recommendations for a good pair.

Craftsman
    I would suggest a pair of Berghaus superlite. Good support, very hardwearing, totally waterproof and the light weight makes a lot of difference on a long day.

https://www.berghaus.com/mens-supali...otwear&start=2

Loads of good brands for this. Technically you could walk up a mountain in sandals.

Now the shops are open I'd go and try some on, the best ones are the most comfortable. Most will do an equal job, lots of marketing guff on walking gear.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Try them on, as getting them to suit your style and feet shape is very important.

For me, I always go with
    1. Salomon for comfort, but their waterproofing (GTX) always fails early and then you will discover that their customer service is non existent. I now just use them for walking shoes, rather than boots, ie 'approach' style and treat them as disposable when they fail - which they will - sooner than you expect.
    or
    2. Scarpa, slightly less comfy (for me) than Salomon but they make brilliant boots which last a decent while and their customer service is superb. These are the boots I buy and currently own and would replace with the exactly the same if they failed.

Worth repeating - do try them on though!

Go to go outdoors and try some boots on is the best bet. They have a good selection at numerous price points. Don't go first thing in the morning, go later when your feet have swelled slightly and wear your normal walking socks. Be careful of the cheaper brands as quality is lacking. At the moment I tend to go for Iowa and mammut.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Adidas Terrex would be my recommendation

Craftsman
    I have a pair of Scarpa walking boots and found them to be very good.

https://www.scarpa.co.uk/

I am not convinced with Goretex in shoes. I find it fine in colder weather but dreadful when it's hot.
    If you go leather, a proper leather treatment is perfectly adequate. Also, if your legs are wet your socks will wick the water to your feet even if you were wearing wellies, so consider gaiters if it's important for you.
    Finally, I disagree with wearing normal socks. buy walking socks, and have them on when you try your shoes. The choice in GO is decent and the staff usually know their stuff for practicing what they preach, so ask them first if they have a hill walker among them, and listen to their advice.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Number 1 priority for me is comfort, I have slightly wide feet, some boots are just to narrow with thick socks, so you have to size up then that makes them to long

After trying lots of boots £150 and under, I bought another pair of these, most comfortable boots out of the box and get better with a bit of wear

Paid £75 last ones, bargain

https://www.grisport.co.uk/walking-b...mens-t76#sort3

Currently using Scarpa boots and very happy.
    Plan to visit Altberg factory in North Yorkshire to get fitted for their boots and try them out.

Go and try some on.

A few years ago, my wife and I went to Jordan for a week and I decided I needed some new walking boots or shoes.

I tried on loads, from £50 to £300, some from online retailers, others in a variety of shops over many weeks, but in the end I bought a pair of walking shoes (trainer like) at the lower end of the price range simply because they were the ones that were most comfortable.

I guess my feet have got wide in recent years as most were too tight across the foot.

I would happily have paid £150-200 for a comfortable pair, but the ones that were actually comfortable were only £60 or £70 - They were great in Jordan and I wear them when it's not muddy here now and find them equally comfortable.

Brand name, material, sturdiness and all the other 'virtues' are worthless if you aren't comfortable!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I am not convinced with Goretex in shoes. I find it fine in colder weather but dreadful when it's hot.
    If you go leather, a proper leather treatment is perfectly adequate. Also, if your legs are wet your socks will wick the water to your feet even if you were wearing wellies, so consider gaiters if it's important for you.
    Finally, I disagree with wearing normal socks. buy walking socks, and have them on when you try your shoes. The choice in GO is decent and the staff usually know their stuff for practicing what they preach, so ask them first if they have a hill walker among them, and listen to their advice.
    This, especially the point about the use of gaiters.

I have spent a whole lot of my life walking and wandering, including the HR route in the Pyrenees.
    After buying, using and wearing many different brands of boots and styles, for me the Meindl Bhutan have been the best overall, not the cheapest but extremely comfortable, flexible, able to handle the hardest terrain and ground, but importantly for me, offering excellent ankle support.
    The best advice though is too simply go and try some on, you will know instinctively which feels the best for you.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by BEZELBOY View Post

I have spent a whole lot of my life walking and wandering, including the HR route in the Pyrenees.

Andy
    I'm hoping to do that walk next year all being well. Was it fun?

Journeyman
    I have used Meindl boots for a while now, after trying other makes and being disappointed. Top quality and you certainly get what you pay for, although recent reviews have shown some decline in their quality control.

I've been wearing these Hoka One One Stinson Mid GTs for the last month on my daily trail hikes and they are superb. Very cushiony, rugged Vibram soles, Gore-Tex, and support for my bad ankles.

Thanks guy's , I appreciate the responses and advice and some good suggestions'. Generally I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things this year with nothing too difficult in terms of terrain and gradually build it up from there. By next year my boots will(hopefully) be worn in and ready for slightly more demanding routes.

Decent boot/hill socks - that's one thing I do have.

Gaiter's - probably a good idea, so I'll look into that.

Trousers/ jacket's etc I've got a few decent fjallraven items which should more than cover what I'm planning this year.

Once again, thanks.

Surprised no one's mentioned altberg yet. Great boots, they make walking boots, motorcycle boots and also supply boots to the military, both our boys and some foreign ones. If you're anywhere near North Yorkshire, I can recommend a visit to their factory shop in Richmond for a fitting. Took my brother there when he visited a couple of years ago and the service was great, they spent an hour with him trying on various sizes and models, he ended up with a completely different pair to what he went in for, but a perfect fit. I picked up a bargain pair of Danish army defenders for £50 off their sale/seconds rack too while I was waiting, perfect fit, great for muddy dog walks

Where are you based?

I could give you a few recommendations on good Retailers with proper Boot fitting advice (15yrs Sales rep in the Outdoor Industry)

John

Master
    Some great advice in this thread. Not much to add other than many good retailers will have an incline in store to walk up and down. Not stupidly steep but sufficient to help you decide what fits you best. Walk up and down it, stand still on it facing up, down and at 90degrees to the slope. One of these helped me in my choices enormously. Never had any problems as my boots fit me properly. Rejected quite a few of the brands mentioned as they simply weren’t comfortable. I bought Scarpa in the end.

As others have said Altberg are worth a look. I’ve a pair of their bike boots. Had them for years wearing them riding in winter at 5degrees right through to touring in Italy in June close to 35degrees. Feet were always “just right”. When my Scarpas need replacing Altberg will be a consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Repeating what has already been said, go to somewhere like Go Outdoors and try a bunch of different options on. Both me and my Mrs' took this advice and ended up buying some boots we'd have never chosen if buying over the internet.

I also agree with a comment about about GoreTex, it really isn't nice in hot weather, it doesn't breathe well enough so you end up with sweaty wet feet. Consider the likely weather and temperature on your walks and if it's necessary. Perhaps even consider a summer and a winter pair of boots, if budget allows.

Lastly... IMO, don't spend a fortune on boots unless they are very easily repaired and maintained without losing performance. The tread of soles will wear down quicker than you expect, and waterproof linings rarely last as long as you'd hope, so don't be fooled into thinking boots will last twice as long if you spend twice as much.

Master
    Try plenty on and see what suits your feet the best, I'm currently loving Lowa boots, they suit my feet and I've found they don't need breaking in like some other makes.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Just an explanation about why Goretex (or similar) in shoes is a bad idea in general: The idea of a breathing membrane is that it allows gases (air, water vapour) through but not liquids (water). As such, a Goretex-lined shoe will be waterproof as long as the water doesn't run higher than the rim of the shoe.
    But the problem is that to regulate temperature our body eliminates water, and it's water from within (sweat) that is the problem.
    In a coat, where air is an essential layer between the garment and the body to keep you warm (like water in a wetsuit), your sweat has enough air to vaporise, and will go through the membrane, keeping you warm and dry.
    However, in a shoe, there is very little air, other than what is trapped within the sock fabric, so very limited gas exchanges between the 2 sides of the membrane. Sweat, however, is liquid and doesn't pass the membrane. It remains a liquid that stays within your shoes; cue much maceration, heat, and general discomfort (not to mention a pungent smell when you finally free your feet).

Master
    Just an explanation about why Goretex (or similar) in shoes is a bad idea in general: The idea of a breathing membrane is that it allows gases (air, water vapour) through but not liquids (water). As such, a Goretex-lined shoe will be waterproof as long as the water doesn't run higher than the rim of the shoe.
    But the problem is that to regulate temperature our body eliminates water, and it's water from within (sweat) that is the problem.
    In a coat, where air is an essential layer between the garment and the body to keep you warm (like water in a wetsuit), your sweat has enough air to vaporise, and will go through the membrane, keeping you warm and dry.
    However, in a shoe, there is very little air, other than what is trapped within the sock fabric, so very limited gas exchanges between the 2 sides of the membrane. Sweat, however, is liquid and doesn't pass the membrane. It remains a liquid that stays within your shoes; cue much maceration, heat, and general discomfort (not to mention a pungent smell when you finally free your feet).
    Are you sure, from what I've read Gore-Tex lets moisture/sweat out but not in, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/goretex.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore-Tex

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Are you sure, from what I've read Gore-Tex lets moisture/sweat out but not in, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/goretex.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore-Tex
    Sweat is water, not steam (like stated in tour first link), so if it can't go in one way, it can't the other.
    If it was steam, and considering the droplets that you have witnessed on your skin, it would defeat its purpose (read further)
    Quoting from your second link:
    Each pore is approximately 1⁄20,000 the size of a water droplet, making it impenetrable to liquid water while still allowing the more volatile water vapour molecules to pass through.
    Sweat is one of our ways to regulate against excessive heat because the transition from liquid to vapour is an endothermic process (= it needs and absorbs heat when it happens). Your body exudes a liquid. That liquid evaporates, and the heat thus absorbed is that much taken away from your body, and helps you maintain homeothermy. Of course, the reverse process (condensation) is exothermic, which is why you don't exudes steam to see it transformed in water on your forehead...
    But to vaporise from the skin it needs air. At a given temperature air has a maximum moisture content. If your feet start to sweat there is neither enough air and maybe more importantly air movement to allow the sweat to vaporise, and you end up with very wet and uncomfortable feet if the weather is hot. It can actually be quite bad as your skin becomes very fragile if soaked for too long and you easily find bleeding feet when you remove your shoes.

Boots

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I'm hoping to do that walk next year all being well. Was it fun?

Yes, It was extremely enjoyable.
    However, the first two days were pretty hard going as I was not expecting some of the ascents to be as challenging, but by the 3rd day I was off and sorted.
    We were in a group of 6, all over 50's and stayed in mountain refuges-in dormitories, sometimes on the French side, a few on the Spanish side, which consisted of an evening meal cooked for us and really, really basic sanitary facilities, -
    (not for the squeamish).
    This was at the beginning of June a few years ago and the weather was more or less kind, with temps not being overbearing and only a couple of days of what could be described as 'Rain challenging"...
    It is well worth planning ahead of course and if you want to assure a place at the refuges, you need to book as early as possible, (we thought the refuges on the Spanish side were superior to the French ones), but the main rule we strictly adhered to was to keep our weight limit carrying factor to 12Kgs +water, so this just meant that we walked in the set of clothes we were in, then had another change of clothes +wet weather gear, + shorts/slippers for evening relaxation, wash kit and towel as well as energy snacks, nuts etc, all carried in 30L backpacks.

Each evening, we would wash the clothes we had worn and then wear the other set the next day and so on.
    I can assure you that a naked wash in a stone trough at 2-3000ft, first light in ice melt water is especially refreshing!
    The Col-di fasch was about the highest point and even in June, we regularly were walking through snow fields in bright sunshine.
    We met some interesting characters along our journey, some solo, but more impressively quite a few 'couples and small groups in their 70's and later, some even carrying small tents and bivvy's.
    It was also surprising how much water we drank on each day, on average we were drinking 4Ltrs + of water each day, but not taking a pee until the evening...
    I was either very lucky or not so unfit, because not once did I have any blisters, issues or pains other than an expected stiffness and seizing up for an hour or so at the end of each day, but a gentle stretching alleviated this quickly, although a couple of younger lads who were more or less following us were bitterly complaining of their knadgers suffering from friction burn and were desperately asking and begging for any kind of creams available

There was some strange beaver like mammals that regularly popped up and made a strange sound when fighting, we came across some animals similar to what I would describe as a'moose'! and the sudden meadows of close cropped flowers were the most amazing scented flowers I have experienced. There were quite a few different birds of prey to watch and listen to along our daily routes.

Overall, I recommend it but do make sure you have a reasonable fitness because the High Route does have some challenging ascents and descents and can be hard on knees, ankles and feet.
    I would do it again without any hesitation, but this time I would take walking poles, lots of walkers were using them and all advised their use and help.

Hope you get to experience these mountains and lands, absolutely beautiful.

Andy

Yes, It was extremely enjoyable.
    However, the first two days were pretty hard going as I was not expecting some of the ascents to be as challenging, but by the 3rd day I was off and sorted.
    We were in a group of 6, all over 50's and stayed in mountain refuges-in dormitories, sometimes on the French side, a few on the Spanish side, which consisted of an evening meal cooked for us and really, really basic sanitary facilities, -
    (not for the squeamish).
    This was at the beginning of June a few years ago and the weather was more or less kind, with temps not being overbearing and only a couple of days of what could be described as 'Rain challenging"...
    It is well worth planning ahead of course and if you want to assure a place at the refuges, you need to book as early as possible, (we thought the refuges on the Spanish side were superior to the French ones), but the main rule we strictly adhered to was to keep our weight limit carrying factor to 12Kgs +water, so this just meant that we walked in the set of clothes we were in, then had another change of clothes +wet weather gear, + shorts/slippers for evening relaxation, wash kit and towel as well as energy snacks, nuts etc, all carried in 30L backpacks.

Each evening, we would wash the clothes we had worn and then wear the other set the next day and so on.
    I can assure you that a naked wash in a stone trough at 2-3000ft, first light in ice melt water is especially refreshing!
    The Col-di fasch was about the highest point and even in June, we regularly were walking through snow fields in bright sunshine.
    We met some interesting characters along our journey, some solo, but more impressively quite a few 'couples and small groups in their 70's and later, some even carrying small tents and bivvy's.
    It was also surprising how much water we drank on each day, on average we were drinking 4Ltrs + of water each day, but not taking a pee until the evening...
    I was either very lucky or not so unfit, because not once did I have any blisters, issues or pains other than an expected stiffness and seizing up for an hour or so at the end of each day, but a gentle stretching alleviated this quickly, although a couple of younger lads who were more or less following us were bitterly complaining of their knadgers suffering from friction burn and were desperately asking and begging for any kind of creams available

There was some strange beaver like mammals that regularly popped up and made a strange sound when fighting, we came across some animals similar to what I would describe as a'moose'! and the sudden meadows of close cropped flowers were the most amazing scented flowers I have experienced. There were quite a few different birds of prey to watch and listen to along our daily routes.

Overall, I recommend it but do make sure you have a reasonable fitness because the High Route does have some challenging ascents and descents and can be hard on knees, ankles and feet.
    I would do it again without any hesitation, but this time I would take walking poles, lots of walkers were using them and all advised their use and help.

Hope you get to experience these mountains and lands, absolutely beautiful.

Andy
    Amazing

My grandfather was an evader during WW2 and the escape lines society put the walk on each year. I'm told this is the walk he took so I'm going straight in at the deep end!

There is a list of itinerary that does include walking poles but I might just message you closer to the time if that's ok?

Just reading a couple of books now on the experience.

There was some strange beaver like mammals that regularly popped up and made a strange sound when fighting, we came across some animals similar to what I would describe as a'moose'!
    I have no idea of what that "moose" could be but the "beaver" is probably a marmot

The only large mammals I can think of are related either to the goat family, the Ibex (bouquetin), or the sheep family, the mouflon. Both have an impressive set of horns but are significantly smaller that a moose (I saw a female moose from close in northern New Hampshire, and it's big. REALLY big (think Benny Hill as Professor Peach in the Italian Job)

Perspiration can be either vapour or liquid.

https://www.britannica.com/science/perspiration

I have no idea of what that "moose" could be but the "beaver" is probably a marmot

The only large mammals I can think of are related either to the goat family, the Ibex (bouquetin), or the sheep family, the mouflon. Both have an impressive set of horns but are significantly smaller that a moose (I saw a female moose from close in northern New Hampshire, and it's big. REALLY big (think Benny Hill as Professor Peach in the Italian Job)

Thanks SJ,
    Yes, that looks like the furry little critters, they really made a racket in the early morning.
    The ‘Moose’ like animal I refer to was more about the horns/antlers, more deer like, certainly not as big, though there were sporadic groups of doe eyed cows on the meadows with typical clanging bells on their necks.

Andy

Blog Entries
    Not a big brand name - but I've always preferred Skechers for walking longer distances - where the memory foam inserts really help.

I've got these

Skechers Relment Traven

z

Hill Walking Boots

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    Perspiration can be either vapour or liquid.

https://www.britannica.com/science/perspiration
    Yes but I didn’t want to explore perspiration in general because the problem was about sweat, which is always secreted in its liquid form and which causes the problem in shoes in general but in Goretex-lined shoes in particular.

I wear goretex lined leather boots and I don't get wet/sweaty feet,.

Horses for coarses - Maybe my feet don't sweat, they just glow 🧐

Journeyman
    I bought a pair of scarpa boots from go outdoors last year. incredibly comfy and didnt need to be 'broken in'