closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Planet Ocean - legit one for sale?

Craftsman

Omega Planet Ocean - legit one for sale?

I've been checking out this Omega Planet Ocean, and to my very untrained eye, it seems to be the exact same as another one for sale by a dealer.

But I've read that there are some very good fakes of this model out there, and this one is coming in a few hundred quid cheaper than any others, let alone ones on a bracelet. I don't think it's in quite as good condition as the seller claims, but I'm not too pushed about that.

Does it look the real deal?

I am far from an expert but the Omega logo looks a bit clumsy in one of the pictures. It’s a bit thick and undefined.
    That said the movement looks good but there are fake versions with a look a like movement out there.

Edit: I have just google images of fakes of these and they are very realistic, proceed with caution is my advice. It might be worth you doing similar to see what you are up against.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 15th June 2021 at 22:01.

I am wearing the exact same watch at the moment and it’s quite difficult to tell without very high quality and good resolution pics… personally I wouldn’t buy from a private seller on chrono24 though… it’s just not worth the risk. I would personally only consider trusted sellers with a long track record and loads of feedback - preferably ones with an actual shop as well…

Rather pay a bit more and get peace of mind

Run away.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Thanks all! I think that says it all.

Interesting comments. It looks fine to me

Journeyman
    The bezel is not properly aligned, the seller is hiding something! ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    I am wearing the exact same watch at the moment and it’s quite difficult to tell without very high quality and good resolution pics… personally I wouldn’t buy from a private seller on chrono24 though… it’s just not worth the risk. I would personally only consider trusted sellers with a long track record and loads of feedback - preferably ones with an actual shop as well…

Rather pay a bit more and get peace of mind
    I recently bought from a private seller. All was fine. Need to take due diligence of course. Only release escro when happy.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    I assume that you could receive the watch and then take it to a dealer to be checked out before releasing the funds?

Master
    If you have the protection of escrow etc. then it might be worth a punt - as long as it's not from abroad at the moment and you can take it somewhere that knows their onions when it comes to verifying a watches provenance.
    Personally I'd be wary of buying any Rolex, Breitling, TAG or Omega without some way of absolutely guaranteeing originality. They are just faked so often and so well it's very easy to lose your shirt.

Craftsman
    It is indeed from abroad. Reading up about the quality(?) of some of the fakes out there, I am not sure I want to take a punt on anything, and hope that I can get an AD to verify.

I think if you buy it, and your first action on arrival has to be to get its authenticity confirmed, then it isn’t wise to get it.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The one part of the movement which will tell if it's fake or genuine is obscured by the rotor...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    It is indeed from abroad. Reading up about the quality(?) of some of the fakes out there, I am not sure I want to take a punt on anything, and hope that I can get an AD to verify.
    If it’s from abroad you will likely have to pay import duty / tax / carrier fees. If you subsequently find it to be not as advertised getting that money back will be difficult.

Personally I’d not be willing to risk it.

Plenty more fish in the sea.

For another £500 you can have a new one from a UK dealer on the same site. Why take the risk of buying from Bulgaria, even it's not fake it could be knackered.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm
    The one part of the movement which will tell if it's fake or genuine is obscured by the rotor...
    Purely out of interest, what would be the thing to look for?

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    If it’s from abroad you will likely have to pay import duty / tax / carrier fees. If you subsequently find it to be not as advertised getting that money back will be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    For another £500 you can have a new one from a UK dealer on the same site. Why take the risk of buying from Bulgaria, even it's not fake it could be knackered.
    I'm in Ireland, so UK sellers are unfortunately no good anymore. But yeah, I am not going to risk it.

I'd walk away. If in doubt, don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    I assume that you could receive the watch and then take it to a dealer to be checked out before releasing the funds?
    Yea they love offering that service to walk-ins for folk who've bought watches elsewhere

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Purely out of interest, what would be the thing to look for?
    The balance wheel/hairspring on the fakes will have two arms on it, one for the stud (the bit at the end of the hairspring) and another for the regulator to adjust the timing. Genuine ones only have one arm with the stud and timing is adjusted via weights on the inside of the balance wheel.

Same applies to Rolex fakes but for how much longer...

Given how many videos there are on YouTube of people comparing real Omegas with near identical replicas I think you made the right choice.