closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarksons Farm

Master

Clarksons Farm

Just finished it and thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Really hope he sticks around for another season or two.

Edit: Just looked on IMDB and it scores 9.3/10 so clearly not just the good folk of TZUK enjoying it.
    Last edited by jaytip; 21st June 2021 at 22:00.

Had to search for this as it isn't being promoted at all in Japan, but found it and enjoyed it. Clarkson writes well, and for all the cocking about, he's a good storyteller and narrator. Also enjoyed the Goodfellas hommage.

Journeyman
    I finished watching last week. Fantastic series and well worth a watch, and as someone mentioned earlier so is 'James may in Japan'

Red face Anyone been to the Diddly Squat Farm shop?

It's only an hour's drive from me and am planning to pop round next weekend with the wife. :)

Might buy some Bee Juice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    It's only an hour's drive from me and am planning to pop round next weekend with the wife. :)

Might buy some Bee Juice.
    I was going to go as its about that for us as well but the rozzers were called after it being inundated with visitors....advise was to stay away the other week.

What kind of subsidies does he get? Need to be a lot after that profit

Quote Originally Posted by macdaddymac View Post
    His initial outlay must have included the farm machinery he had to buy. That tractor cant have been cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://cap-payments.defra.gov.uk/SearchResults.aspx

Not too shabby

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    His initial outlay must have included the farm machinery he had to buy. That tractor cant have been cheap.
    40k for that Lambo tractor. Probably the cheapest way to buy a Lamborghini.

Craftsman
    Apparently a 3 hour queue at his farm shop this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    People are weird, everyone in that queue will have past many better stocked farm shops on their way to Diddly Farm Squat Shop.

89k was mentioned when he was filling in the forms. I really don't get the economics of farming. Supermarkets dictate prices, farmers break even, government gives them back handers from tax payers money. Makes no sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    89k was mentioned when he was filling in the forms. I really don't get the economics of farming. Supermarkets dictate prices, farmers break even, government gives them back handers from tax payers money. Makes no sense to me
    The subsidy is not a 'back hander'. It is in place to assure quality and disease control in the food chain.

Policy is changing and the subsidy arrangements will reduce and disappear over time.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The subsidy is not a 'back hander'. It is in place to assure quality and disease control in the food chain.

Policy is changing and the subsidy arrangements will reduce and disappear over time.
    When the subsidy is gone, supermarket prices may go up, more food may come from abroad, some farmers may drop their welfare standards, some may go out of business or likely a combination of all.

I know several farmers and everyone of them works long hours and often only a spell of bad weather or a disease outbreak away from a serious financial hit. Its generally about large scale farming and low margin these days.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    When the subsidy is gone, supermarket prices may go up, more food may come from abroad, some farmers may drop their welfare standards, some may go out of business or likely a combination of all.

I know several farmers and everyone of them works long hours and often only a spell of bad weather or a disease outbreak away from a serious financial hit. Its generally about large scale farming and low margin these days.
    There will be little chance of stuff coming from abroad.

Prices may increase, but the UK will suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Without the subsidies, supermarkets would have to pay the farmers more, or the farmers would go out of business and the supermarkets would lose a major source of supply. So supermarket prices would have to go up, sending more people to food banks, and removing money from other peoples pockets which would have been spent in other parts of the economy. It's a bit of a bargain for all of us really.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Without the subsidies, supermarkets would have to pay the farmers more, or the farmers would go out of business and the supermarkets would lose a major source of supply. So supermarket prices would have to go up, sending more people to food banks, and removing money from other peoples pockets which would have been spent in other parts of the economy. It's a bit of a bargain for all of us really.

There would definitely be short term pain but NZ removed almost all farm subsidies in 1985 and within 10 years their farmers were thriving. Employment increased, productivity increased and biodiversity improved.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    There would definitely be short term pain but NZ removed almost all farm subsidies in 1985 and within 10 years their farmers were thriving. Employment increased, productivity increased and biodiversity improved.
    That would be a good outcome indeed. But the problem we have is population numbers versus potential agricultural yield. From what I have read we can, with current practices, only produce about fifty percent of the food our population requires, whereas NZ can actually produce a surplus due to a much smaller population (both actual and per square mile) and 90% of low lying areas being farmed. We are a tad overcrowded to put it mildly compared to them. So imports also have to be competed against by our farmers, they'd go to the wall in vast numbers if subsidies were removed, we simply wouldn't have a farming industry anymore.

Master
    I tend to disagree. I think many farmers would go out of business but the sector would recover. But Im not an economist and havent been a farmer for a quarter of a century. 😁

Meanwhile, loving Clarksons Farm but disappointed because I have only two episodes left.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I tend to disagree. I think many farmers would go out of business but the sector would recover. But Im not an economist and havent been a farmer for a quarter of a century. 😁

Meanwhile, loving Clarksons Farm but disappointed because I have only two episodes left.
    If you've been farmer, albeit a while ago, I'll assume you know more than me about the subject, I'm neither farmer (only worked on a couple as a youngster), nor economist and so will happily defer to your more experienced view.
    I believe he has signed up for a second series which should help stave off your disappointment :)

Last edited by Ruggertech; 29th June 2021 at 10:25.

After 2 previous failed attempts, had to stop for one reason or another just watched 2 episodes, the entire family loved it, even my wife who wondered why we wanted to watch a series on farming.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Call me cynical but I bet not one of them are from his local surroundings.

This made me chuckle. I think there's better chemistry between Clarkson and Kaleb, than with Hammond and May.

Bloody funny and a real good watch. My partner hates Clarkson but is really enjoying the content.

Blog Entries
    Kaleb does not appear to be someone who's very keen on 'scripted'. He comes to the point without any hesitation. In a way, it's like a younger version of Clarkson.

This is posting #75. A lot of postings are about the content of the series and the implications of farming in general. How great is that. I must stay that I've learned a few things as well by watching the series and reading background information here. Clarkson has managed to get farming 'on the table', including the red tape and weird rules.
    Last edited by thieuster; 1st July 2021 at 09:42.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Clarkson has managed to get farming 'on the table', including the red tape and weird rules.
    We applied for Mid-tier Stewardship on our fields for the first time this year, so had to try to understand the extremely complex coding systems and application forms that you see Clarkson discuss with Charlie on the programme.
    It is utterly impenetrable and so overly complex how they ever expect a farmer (who does not have a well versed management agent) to complete the forms and comply with the ludicrously complicated conditions, restrictions, requirements and applications beggars belief.

Another fan of the show here, 4 episodes in and thoroughly enjoying it. Informative, entertaining, enlightening and all told in Layman's terms with polish.

Despite the obvious graft that goes into it all the joy both Clarkson and Kaleb get from it is actually quite heart warming and infectious. The lockdown episode where Clarkson pulls out the bottle of "lady petrol" from the cold puddle to enjoy with his GF bemoaning the closed pubs on a Friday evening followed by rejoicing in what they've accomplished trumping all of that was magic.

Went to the Squat Shop yesterday (Thurs 1st July 1:30pm). The queue in to the store was 2 hours (everyone being quiet patient and actually very happy). There was a small queue (30 mins) to a trestle table of 20 baseball caps, 18.50 cloth shopping bags, and 12.50 jars of Bee Juice. I joined the queue into the Lambing Barn portacabin bar to order a 5.25 sausage brioche bun and 2.50 coffee. Plenty getting stuck into the beers (3 lads at a picnic table each with 3 pints lined up, saves rejoining the queue!). I didn't see JC, although I did hear he was milling around.

The place is obviously a goldmine, and everyone was enjoying being there. The car park field is much improved (was dry, so didn't need a 10 Lambo tractor tow to get out). Plenty of nice motors in attendance.

Would have happily bought some souvenir tat, but still had 150 miles to drive home.

I'm pleased I went, but once will do.

MW

I absolutely hate Clarkson.

I hate that he makes deliberately awful decisions, moans like a baby things don't work out or someone tells him he's been an idiot, but he expects us all to revel in his glory when he infrequently succeeds.

I hate that he effectively has an effectively unlimited budget from Amazon to "struggle" through what many other farmers are taking real risks on.

I really do like Kaleb, and the dry stone wall guy is a scripted comedy gem, but I'd rather Harry Metcalfe was doing the programme.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    is the farm based in the UK or USA.

if its the USA i simply wont be able to stand to watch it
    Just the word 'Amazon' is a put off here.....

I was there while passing through yesterday and it was very busy, took around 30 mins to get a cold drink with the store queue in excess of 2 hours.

The store is defiantly a goldmine with the bar, food stool etc all privately owned which I assume pay a fee or percentage of takings to be on the land.

Apparently JC only pops in around 3 days a week now normally in the late afternoons.

Master
    That looks like hell on earth in this heat

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hard to believe how moronic some people are,they are causing havoc back into Chadlington with boy racers speeding around etc.

I have been riding/driving those roads since I was a kid it was always such a peaceful area.

The only thing it does is t free up all the proper farmers markets (and other places in the area I know and visit for a tea or coffee as well).

I am not going to plaster them over the internet, though I will give you one little honsety stall which is for charity.

It has local produce,the tomatoes and potatoes where some of the best I have ever had.

Go past Enstone airfield on your left to Gaginwell (B4030) turn right at the sharp village bend.

Its a single lane,scenic road that leads back to the A44 the stall is on the right with another one selling eggs further on.

You can alternativley carrry on and go past the Renault racing team headquarters also of the main roads and a nice little ride.
    Last edited by bwest76; 19th July 2021 at 00:45.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Enstone is home to Alternative cars, who, last time I looked, are still making Midas Cars. Its a lovely area.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Enstone is home to Alternative cars, who, last time I looked, are still making Midas Cars. Its a lovely area.
    I ride all those minor roads in the Summer,I still find interesting places to stop and visit.

Master
    Clarkson has confirmed on Instagram that a second series will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Clarkson has confirmed on Instagram that a second series will be made.
    Great news - will be another good laugh!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I was there while passing through yesterday and it was very busy, took around 30 mins to get a cold drink with the store queue in excess of 2 hours.

The store is defiantly a goldmine with the bar, food stool etc all privately owned which I assume pay a fee or percentage of takings to be on the land.

Apparently JC only pops in around 3 days a week now normally in the late afternoons.

Why on earth woudl you queue that long to get a drink and 2 hours to go into the Farm Shop.

Clarksons Farm

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Why on earth woudl you queue that long to get a drink and 2 hours to go into the Farm Shop.
    Presumably to put your visit on Instagram (or other social media). Madness!
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 21st July 2021 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post
    I absolutely hate Clarkson.

I hate that he makes deliberately awful decisions, moans like a baby things don't work out or someone tells him he's been an idiot, but he expects us all to revel in his glory when he infrequently succeeds.

I hate that he effectively has an effectively unlimited budget from Amazon to "struggle" through what many other farmers are taking real risks on.

I really do like Kaleb, and the dry stone wall guy is a scripted comedy gem, but I'd rather Harry Metcalfe was doing the programme.
    Harry isn't a draw for most though. I love his car and farm videos but my wife thinks he's deathly dull. Whereas she will happily (much to her surprise) watch clarkson.

If it means a few more people are aware of the struggles of the average farmer than i think it 's a good thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I went past today laughing at them as I went to get some gorgonzola,strawberries and other produce of better quality and no waiting.

It was a massive zig zag crowd in the broiling sun waiting for a mouldy potato,no parking on the road now thank goodness.

It was inevitable the book would follow I guess...

https://smarturl.it/diddlysquat