closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodwood Festival of Speed 2021

Goodwood Festival of Speed 2021

We have tickets for this years event which is scheduled for 8-11th July 2021, so these dates have just fallen into the uncertainty of the recent extension of the Covid restrictions.
    As it is now uncertain whether the event will be allowed to take place now, or possibly allowed to take place with limited numbers, it has really made me think about what a logistical nightmare it must be organising these events and still not knowing whether or not they will actually take place with only 3 weeks to go.

I am sure that Goodwood will stand by their ticket holders and offer roll-overs, refunds etc but it must be an absolute nightmare for the organisers and the attending stands etc.

I do understand why the restrictions have been extended. But event organisers are stuck between 'biting the bullet' and just cancelling the entire event due to the potential uncertainty, but the alternative is that the event is uncertain, in which case nobody knows what is going on, so cannot make any plans. I am not sure which is better really.

Does anyone else have tickets for Goodwood (or another event) which has been knocked by the announcement yesterday?

G&D so please avoid political replies.

I called them before booking tickets (a week or so ago) and questioned whether the event would go ahead dependant on Boris's say so - I was told it will happen anyway under current rules so not sure what has changed?

This is the email I received from Goodwood last night:

Further to the announcement fromthe Prime Minister this evening (14 June), and the latest information on thedelay to Step 4 of the roadmap out of lockdown, we are writing to update you onwhat this means for visitors to the Goodwood Estate.

As youmay be aware, the Goodwood Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard, isplanned to take place from 8 - 11 July.

The UKGovernment has announced there will be a further series of pilot events as partof the Events Research Programme (ERP) over the next four weeks. We are indiscussion with the Government and public health authorities to finalise thedetails with regard to the Festival of Speed. We are expecting more informationon the pilots to be announced later this week, at which point we will be able toconfirm the next steps for this year’s event.

We willcommunicate with all ticket holders as a matter of high priority in the comingdays ahead. At this stage there is no requirement for you to contact us butplease keep an eye out for official communications in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    I called them before booking tickets (a week or so ago) and questioned whether the event would go ahead dependant on Boris's say so - I was told it will happen anyway under current rules so not sure what has changed?
    That was the impression I was under too, until the email I have just posted above arrived.
    It is now too late for me to cancel my accommodation booking at this stage, but it seems they (Goodwood) are now uncertain about if it can go ahead? Unless I have misunderstood what they are saying (which is quite likely!).

Just call it Tennis or Horse racing, I think the Grand prix will be open to spectators so there is some hope, and they are talking about 400,000 over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    That was the impression I was under too, until the email I have just posted above arrived.
    It is now too late for me to cancel my accommodation booking at this stage, but it seems they (Goodwood) are now uncertain about if it can go ahead? Unless I have misunderstood what they are saying (which is quite likely!).
    Same boat but not found any accommodation yet - see Airbnb topic! I'd only book with an agent who allows full refund/cancellation.

I also have tickets and accommodation booked with two other friends, so am keeping an eye out, but am quite relaxed about it as I booked it knowing things could change. But I agree, I was also under the impression that things would go ahead under the current rules, but their announcement makes it seem a lot less certain.

Not Goodwood, but a music festival originally slated for next weekend (Black Deer, in Kent). Similarly, the organisers were making quite bullish noises on the “what if” question, but last night announced that the whole thing is off, and “roll on 2022”. It’s a great shame, and I feel terribly sorry for the organisers and everyone involved (what else were they supposed to do but carry on, and hope?), but as others have said, we knew the event was doubtful so can’t do much but shrug shoulders and accept it. Hopefully they survive to next year.

I did hear the Black Deer was cancelled. Such a shame for everyone involved as the costs will be crippling for many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Goodwood Festival of Speed 2021

The London Classic Car Show at the end of June and the Stonor Supercar show at the beginning of July have said they are still going ahead after BoJo’’’s announcement.

I don’t see why the FoS should be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    The London Classic Car Show at the end of June and the Stonor Supercar show at the beginning of July have said they are still going ahead after BoJo’’’s announcement.

I don’t see why the FoS should be any different.
    Visitor numbers maybe?

Strange that some feel they can go ahead whilst others don't. No wonder some aren't sure if they can or cannot proceed.

Yep, numbers limited to 4000 at any one time:
    https://theclassiccarshowuk.com/covid-compliancy
    Last edited by Maysie; 17th June 2021 at 17:38. Reason: Info added.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I also have tickets and accommodation booked with two other friends, so am keeping an eye out, but am quite relaxed about it as I booked it knowing things could change. But I agree, I was also under the impression that things would go ahead under the current rules, but their announcement makes it seem a lot less certain.
    I know somebody who is working on the site build for FOS and they are currently still building stuff.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Whatever they need to decide yay or nay pretty darn quick - the sheer amount of man power and money tied up in this whole event for thousands of companies let alone all the punters - we all need to know one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    Whatever they need to decide yay or nay pretty darn quick - the sheer amount of man power and money tied up in this whole event for thousands of companies let alone all the punters - we all need to know one way or the other.
    ^^^
    My thoughts exactly.
    Just make your mind up either way!

Craftsman
    In 2019 I booked weekend tickets for the Yorkshire Motorsport Festival, due to take place in June 2020. They were rolled over to this year (in two weeks) and according to their site they are still going ahead.

Yep, just want to know what is happening. Won't lose any holiday but need to check accommodation if it is cancelled.

Master
    We live next to Goodwood, Summersdale in northern Chichester. It’s very quiet, although you do hear the occasional racing; worth a punt as there will be refunds. So a decent gamble and if it does go ahead…it will be thrilling. Good luck.
    If short of accommodation, Midhurst ten miles up the road , is a decent bet. I admire people’s courage, it makes the country spring back to life.

BTW, far more small aircraft, including Spitfires, are now active. Come in a Mustang. You could park free. Not the car……
    Last edited by paskinner; 16th June 2021 at 22:18.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    We live next to Goodwood, Summersdale in northern Chichester.

If short of accommodation, Midhurst ten miles up the road , is a decent bet.
    I thought you were going to offer your spare room for a moment then!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    In 2019 I booked weekend tickets for the Yorkshire Motorsport Festival, due to take place in June 2020. They were rolled over to this year (in two weeks) and according to their site they are still going ahead.
    It's a number game:

The Yorkshire Motorsport Festival is still going ahead but organisers are now limiting ticket sales to ensure the safety of all attendees.

The event, running from 25-27 June, will allow a maximum of 4,000 people to attend per day – fewer than half the original 10,000 visitors that were planned.

The restriction will remain in place regardless of any lifting of COVID-19 restrictions on or before 21st June.
    Organisers have also increased the acreage in which the festival will take place, to allow the most amount of space possible for social distancing.

https://kirkleeslocaltv.com/entertai...l-going-ahead/

I cant see how something the size of FoS would be remotely viable with only 4000 people allowed in order to comply with the current guidelines

Craftsman
    It's a number game:

The Yorkshire Motorsport Festival is still going ahead but organisers are now limiting ticket sales to ensure the safety of all attendees.

The event, running from 25-27 June, will allow a maximum of 4,000 people to attend per day – fewer than half the original 10,000 visitors that were planned.

The restriction will remain in place regardless of any lifting of COVID-19 restrictions on or before 21st June.
    Organisers have also increased the acreage in which the festival will take place, to allow the most amount of space possible for social distancing.

I cant see how something the size of FoS would be remotely viable with only 4000 people allowed in order to comply with the current guidelines

Thank you for the update, still waiting for my tickets.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It's a number game:

The Goodwood Estate has already spent the money and committed to the infrastructure that they have to create every year. If they had to reduce the numbers by 50% then they would still get around 100,000 people over the period which would still provide a reasonable return. I don’t see why they would have to reduce numbers to 4000? That just seems to be a decision Yorkshire has made.
    Anyhow, the whole thing is outdoors anyway so I see no particular reason why it couldn’t just go ahead. You can still stick to the rule of 6 in the odd hospitality area and whatnot.
    IMO there is absolutely no need to cancel it.
    Last edited by village; 17th June 2021 at 19:36.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    The Goodwood Estate has already spent the money and committed to the infrastructure that they have to create every year. If they had to reduce the numbers by 50% then they would still get around 100,000 people over the period which would still provide a reasonable return. I don’t see why they would have to reduce numbers to 4000? That just seems to be a decision Yorkshire has made.
    Anyhow, the whole thing is outdoors anyway so I see no particular reason why it couldn’t just go ahead. You can still stick to the rule of 6 in the odd hospitality area and whatnot.
    IMO there is absolutely no need to cancel it.
    The 4000 limit used by Yorkshires Motorsport event and London Classic Car Show is the current maximum limit set by the Government guidance.

However daft it seems, the same limit seems to apply to Goodwood FoS, so without an 'Events Research Programme' agreement, the 4000 limit seems to be the maximum visitors they are allowed to have on site at any one time.

See Stage 3:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...al-authorities
    Last edited by Maysie; 18th June 2021 at 10:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I thought you were going to offer your spare room for a moment then!
    The weird thing is you are bathed in the sound of racing cars, so it's all a bit ‘motor sport.’ The idiocy is people who buy near Goodwood and then moan at the noise. I mean, really……

Email sent out today sounding a bit more bullish:

Update about the Festival of Speed

On Monday evening we contacted you to let you know how the Prime Minister’s statement affected this year’s Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard, due to take place from 8 - 11 July.

At this point in time, we are still in discussions with the Events Research Programme (ERP) and the UK Government about what the next series of pilot events will look like, which we hope will include the Festival of Speed.

With the event only three weeks away, we know that our customers will need confirmation on the next steps of the event as a matter of urgency, which remains a priority for us at Goodwood. Rest assured a lot of work is being done behind the scenes to create a safe and enjoyable event for our customers, whilst maintaining all the exciting and fun elements our visitors love.

As communicated earlier in the week, we will continue to update all ticket holders as soon as we can and there is still no requirement for you to contact us at this stage.

Thank you for your patience whilst we work through the options to try and make the Festival of Speed take place as planned next month. We can’t wait to welcome you back to Goodwood again soon.

With best wishes,

The Goodwood Festival of Speed Team

Just received from Goodwood:

Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard confirmed as a pilot event

Last week we contacted you to let you know how the Prime Minister’s statement (on 14 June) affected this year’s Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard, due to take place from 8 - 11 July.

Goodwood is pleased to confirm that the Festival of Speed will now form part of the Events Research Programme (ERP) as a pilot event.

The event is sold out across Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The capacities agreed with the ERP will mean that all 2021 Festival of Speed ticket, hospitality and grandstand pass holders will be able to attend as planned, including those with 2020 rolled over tickets.

As a pilot, all people on site will need to agree to the conditions of entry set out by the Events Research Programme in order to enjoy the event safely. This will include either having had both doses of the vaccine at least 14 days before the event, or proof of a negative Lateral Flow Test, which can be taken at home or at a recognised centre free of charge, within 48 hours of the event.

We will announce further details around conditions of entry, consent required from all fans to opt into the Event Research Programme and NHS Test and Trace requirements shortly.

At this stage there is still no requirement for you to contact us, but we encourage you to regularly visit goodwood.com/FOS which will host all the latest information you need to know about your attendance, as well as keeping an eye out for our email communications.

Thank you for your patience as we have worked through the options to make the event take place as planned next month; it promises to be a really special and memorable Festival of Speed.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to Goodwood again soon!

With best wishes,

The Goodwood Festival of Speed Team

Wa-hey!

So how do you provide proof of a negative lateral flow test?

Craftsman
    So how do you provide proof of a negative lateral flow test?
    Once you’ve taken your lateral flow test, you upload the results to the .gov site and they send confirmation of the result to your phone. You can you this once requested at the event.

Great news! Thanks for the update!

The thing I am still not sure about is the ERP requirements state that overnight accommodation (if used when attending the event) must be 'self contained', ie have its own facilities and have its own entrance/exit too - which would rule out most hotels?!

No mention of that specifically on the FoS email or website, so I wonder if they may not relax that requirement as the FoS date is so close to the rescheduled 'Freedon Day'.

We will have to wait I guess.
    Last edited by Maysie; 22nd June 2021 at 09:41.

Ive just agreed to go on a corporate freebie, they are saying proof of double jab

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Ive just agreed to go on a corporate freebie, they are saying proof of double jab
    Lucky you - I remember the days of those & the jollies. Most recently Bain had taken us to Octoberfest a few years back, heavy night.

I’m now in consulting but we don’t do entertaining as we are in healthcare & too many rules & restrictions for a good bit of corporate fun with clients.

Always nicer when you enjoy the people you are with, have made some good friends over the years.

As for FOS we have missed getting tickets for the last 15yrs through utter ineptitude from myself and my wife. One day we will get there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if you know already but double jab , it has to be a minimum of 14 days prior to entry to the event.

I had to quickly blag my second jab this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I get taken to the FoS every year on the Friday and thankfully I’m double jabbed too. Are you in the Kinrara?

Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    Not sure if you know already but double jab , it has to be a minimum of 14 days prior to entry to the event.
    Or, a negative result with a lateral flow test:

“This will include either having had both doses of the vaccine at least 14 days before the event, or proof of a negative Lateral Flow Test, which can be taken at home or at a recognised centre free of charge, within 48 hours of the event.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Or, a negative result with a lateral flow test:

“This will include either having had both doses of the vaccine at least 14 days before the event, or proof of a negative Lateral Flow Test, which can be taken at home or at a recognised centre free of charge, within 48 hours of the event.”
    Still not sure how the testing element works surely it is open to misuse?

It's pointless and you can put what result you want - it's trusting the individual.

But it seems to be the way they do it - same for the ABR festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I get taken to the FoS every year on the Friday and thankfully I’m double jabbed too. Are you in the Kinrara?
    No, I think its just a jolly

Probably as easy to fake as getting a fake vaccination card, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I get taken to the FoS every year on the Friday and thankfully I’m double jabbed too.
    Are you going to check out the new Lotus? 😉

I have just done my first ever lateral flow test (at home) and you are spot on.

The result is shown on the test kit after 30 minutes, following which I can log onto the Gov.uk website and report whatever result I like, so completely relies on the honesty of the individual to report a true result. The result (as I have reported it) is then sent to me by text and email and I assume that is what they will want to see on the gate - for those who are not double jabbed.

Hopefully most people will be sensible about it, but I am sure there will be some who may not!
    I honestly thought it would need to be far was more controlled than that.

I have just done my first ever lateral flow test (at home) and you are spot on.

The result is shown on the test kit after 30 minutes, following which I can log onto the Gov.uk website and report whatever result I like, so completely relies on the honesty of the individual to report a true result. The result (as I have reported it) is then sent to me by text and email and I assume that is what they will want to see on the gate - for those who are not double jabbed.

Hopefully most people will be sensible about it, but I am sure there will be some who may not!
    I honestly thought it would need to be far was more controlled than that.
    Well if a dance music gig and a heavy metal festival can manage it, I am sure the FOS crowd will be equally responsible.

Surely nobody is suggesting that somebody who tests positive would lie and still attend the event? Personally I would heading for a PCR test and calling the doctor for some advice. Likewise with the fallacy that people would falsify their jab status - who in their right mind would lie and attend an event with thousands who are protected?.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Well if a dance music gig and a heavy metal festival can manage it, I am sure the FOS crowd will be equally responsible.

Surely nobody is suggesting that somebody who tests positive would lie and still attend the event? Personally I would heading for a PCR test and calling the doctor for some advice. Likewise with the fallacy that people would falsify their jab status - who in their right mind would lie and attend an event with thousands who are protected?.
    I am not sure if you are actually serious?

People will be people and there will always be someone who will ignore the rules and guidance.
    If you think otherwise then you have more faith in the honesty of others than I do, which is a credit to you.

I am not sure if you are actually serious?

People will be people and there will always be someone who will ignore the rules and guidance.
    If you think otherwise then you have more faith in the honesty of others than I do, which is a credit to you.
    The dance music gig was in Liverpool and Download Festival at Donnington, with part of the ERP.

As for the second part - just my experience, for sure there will be a minority who ignore everything but that is life.

A timely discussion as I just received a box of test kits in the mail and was talking to my wife about how it seems completely reliant on people's honesty.

I am going to the Yorkshire Motorsport Festival this weekend and ironically, although I am double vaccinated, the council have told them to ignore that and focus on test results only. I don't mind doing it at all, but seems very odd to trust something easily faked, or even just not properly used, while ignoring the jab.

I suppose the vaccine card can be faked, which is why I'm glad to have access to my records on the NHS app. All of this will pass, but until then I'll go along with whatever nonsense I have to if it will make my life a bit easier.
    Last edited by adigra; 24th June 2021 at 11:06.

It is all numbers game really.

I believe the Goodwood average attendance figures are around 100,000 - 150,000 per day, so for simplicity, assuming a daily attendance of 100,000 and with the UK average infection rate (currently) shown as 97.5 cases per 100,000 people there ought to be around 98 people who cannot attend due to a positive test result (based on todays available figures).

Assuming say 90% of people will be honest about a positive test(I have no idea about that figure??), that would suggest that only 10 people at the event each day will be 'known' to be positive via a test - if they are dishonest about it.
    Small fry really in the scheme of things if attendees are managed/tested after the event also.

It seems much less scary when you break it down like that.

I've just had another email from them, how do you prove you've had the double jab if the card isn't enough.
    I'll have to test anyway as my 2nd jab isn't until Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    I've just had another email from them, how do you prove you've had the double jab if the card isn't enough.
    I'll have to test anyway as my 2nd jab isn't until Monday.
    Register on the NHS app ( not the COVID-19 one) and it provides a proof on there that you can show on entry.

Register on the NHS app ( not the COVID-19 one) and it provides a proof on there that you can show on entry.
    Thanks, I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Are you going to check out the new Lotus? 
    I only found out a couple of days ago that it was being launched at the FoS. I sent a WhatsApp to the sales girl who sold me my previous cars as she unveiled the 3-Eleven but she’s NFI to the Emira launch. If it’s on my route from the car park to Kinrara, I’ll check it out but won’t be making a special trip, for the kind of money I imagine it to be, I’d rather a pre-owned GT3.