closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movies you've always intended to watch, but never got around to doing so...

Movies you've always intended to watch, but never got around to doing so...

Just for fun, and perhaps for some feedback and recommendations...

I'm sure every one of us has many movies we've always felt like we should watch, but for some reason have never seemed to get around to doing so.

What are they?

I have many, but I'll kick off with the Jason Bourne series - I'm just in the process of completing the last one and have thoroughly enjoyed them.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Metropolis - We actually have a copy on DVD (was a freebie with the Daily Mail decades ago, I think - I hasten to add, my wife buys the 'Daily Fascist' once a week for the TV guide - I reached the point of even refusing to hide it in a copy of "Obsese Reader's Grannies" for her some years ago), but we've never watched it.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

I watched the beginning, was interrupted with something that was obviously more urgent and important as SWMBO needed my help (I can't, for the life of me, remember what it was) and never had the opportunity to watch it again. I am sure there are many more, though.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Citizen Kane - apparently there's no point as the life of Donald Trump follows the plot closely

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Great film.

I spent lockdown catching up on films I'd previously missed. Really enjoyed some whilst others were poor.

The one's I'd previously missed but really enjoyed:

Django Unchained
    Strange Days
    True Romance

One that stands out as having a high RT score but utterly bored me:

Syriana. In the noughties, it was really popular to have those films that had multiple parallel storylines...Traffic, Babel etc...I find them all really tedious to watch. Syriana is another one of those.

Master
    Somebody gave us one of those scratch-off "100 must see movies" posters last year and it's now almost completely finished (link; https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...gQIARBE&adurl= )

The ones on my "to do" list tend to be the oldies. For example I've never sat through a Charlie Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy film.
    On that note, Stan and Ollie is on my list (the 2018 film), but Casablanca and Gone with the Wind are both obvious gaps in my library.

EDIT;
    I have also got a few classic (80's) Arnie movies on my list. I must have seen a few over the last 40 years but the only ones I can recall are Predator, Running Man and some of the more recent ones. Red Sonya and Commando will at some point make the cut.
    Last edited by kevkojak; 14th June 2021 at 11:41.

Master
    Titanic, Blade Runner 2049, The Hobbit Trilogy, A Beautiful Mind, La La Land, ... TBH I rarely watch films.

Master
    Shawshank Redemption, Mad Max.

Akira. Had it on DVD forever, never watched it. The DVD was lost, so now I want to watch it more than ever... still not enough to hunt it down.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Titanic, Blade Runner 2049, The Hobbit Trilogy, A Beautiful Mind, La La Land, ... TBH I rarely watch films.
    Bladerunner 2049 - don't bother - visually stunning but boring as hell

Master
    It’s a Wonderful Life. Never watched any of the Star Wars movies. Same with The Matrix series. I likely never will watch any of them, either.

Blog Entries
    Some of Kurosawa’s late production, Lalaland, No country for old men, Nirvana (1997, Salvatores).

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Got to disagree with that, I though the story was good, the visuals and soundtrack take it to another level. I thought it was a worthy sequel.

Venom, some of the other Marvel movies i never seen. The Hobbit movies, some Sci-Fi stuff i cant remember the names of

I don't think there are any unfortunately.

My main movie pleasure is Film Noir and I find most modern stuff pretty juvenile TBH, Coen brothers excepted.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Akira. Had it on DVD forever, never watched it. The DVD was lost, so now I want to watch it more than ever... still not enough to hunt it down.
    Definitely worth finding it... :)

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Just for fun, and perhaps for some feedback and recommendations...

I'm sure every one of us has many movies we've always felt like we should watch, but for some reason have never seemed to get around to doing so.

What are they?

I have many, but I'll kick off with the Jason Bourne series - I'm just in the process of completing the last one and have thoroughly enjoyed them.
    So in that case (pedantic switch to ON) the Bourne series are not movies that you’ve never seemed to get around to watching because you’ve just finished watching them so you have,in fact,managed to get around to watching them!
    (And breathe.....pedantic switch OFF)

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Definitely worth finding it... :)
    £3.49 to rent on Amazon, I'll get onto it this week!

Master
    Shawshank, Wonderful Life, Bourne trilogy, Titanic, Matrix 1 are must sees of those mentioned. Citizen Kane if you are interested in film history and techniques.

Shawshank is overrated sentimental sh**e, as is its cousin The Green Mile. And Titanic too, while I'm dismissing sentimental sh**e.

Master
    I went to sit down a few weeks ago to watch this, with great anticipation. Realised very quickly I’d already watched it, but settled in again, to remember how dull it was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Metropolis - We actually have a copy on DVD (was a freebie with the Daily Mail decades ago, I think - I hasten to add, my wife buys the 'Daily Fascist' once a week for the TV guide - I reached the point of even refusing to hide it in a copy of "Obsese Reader's Grannies" for her some years ago), but we've never watched it.

M
    It's worth the effort! The plot is silly, but the sets, special effects, and the way it's shot are spectacular.

Star Wars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Oh loads. Some that come to mind - mainly as my wife has typically bought me the DVD to encourage me to watch:

- Scarface
    - Trainspotting
    - Full Metal Jacket

How many of the films people are posting are actually 'films I have no desire or intention of watching'?

From some of the comments it seems people are listing films they don't want to watch...

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quite a few classics I’ve still not seen:

The Third Man
    12 Angry Men
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Rear Window
    The 39 Steps
    Vertigo
    Gone with the Wind
    It’s a Wonderful Life
    Bicycle Thieves
    His Girl Friday
    Battleship Potemkin
    The Maltese Falcon

And shamed to admit I’ve never seen anything by Kurosawa, Fellini or Truffaut...

I've just watched the first ten minutes of Air Force One and have absolutely no desire to watch the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

I watched the beginning, was interrupted with something that was obviously more urgent and important as SWMBO needed my help (I can't, for the life of me, remember what it was) and never had the opportunity to watch it again. I am sure there are many more, though.
    It's a good movie. Well worth it

DON

Nothing I can think of.

I work out of the house and if I want to watch a movie. I can just stop work and do so.

There's nothing I can think of that I want to watch

DON

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

The Third Man
    12 Angry Men
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Rear Window
    The 39 Steps
    Vertigo
    Gone with the Wind
    It’s a Wonderful Life
    Bicycle Thieves
    His Girl Friday
    Battleship Potemkin
    The Maltese Falcon

And shamed to admit I’ve never seen anything by Kurosawa, Fellini or Truffaut...

I'm a big fan of Hitchcock and Vertigo is simply one of his very best. Rear Window is also great, but expect slow pacing by any modern standards.

Do yourself a favour and watch Vertigo though.

Master

The Third Man
    12 Angry Men
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Rear Window
    The 39 Steps
    Vertigo
    Gone with the Wind
    It’s a Wonderful Life
    Bicycle Thieves
    His Girl Friday
    Battleship Potemkin
    The Maltese Falcon

The 1935 Hitchcock version of the 39 Steps is the best one imo, great film. I'm always disappointed if I see the 39 Steps in the Freeview guide and see its not the Hitchcock one being shown..

I also haven't watched The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, or The Hobbit.

I know they are probably wonderful films, but I have just never remotely been a fan of Tolkien, having always preferred sci-fi to pixies and elves.

Should I really make the effort?

I know they are probably wonderful films, but I have just never remotely been a fan of Tolkien, having always preferred sci-fi to pixies and elves.

I’ve watched one of them. It was rubbish!

If you've never been interested enough in the genre to read LoTR then you'll likely not enjoy the movies, I would think so don't bother.

One time at Christmas ground through the LOTR trilogy, never ever again! I consider myself a film buff of eclectic taste but I just do not get it at all. Same goes for the comic book stuff which has virtually screwed film-making into almost a $1BN profit or it doesn't get made business.

I'm trying to think of a modern film I've missed but am keen to see - honestly struggling.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is A Quiet Place, and depending on how I like, the new sequel.

I used to be such a huge movie lover and going to the cinema, when I lived in the US, was at least a weekly treat. But older I get harder to please I am, so I haven't actually watched a movie in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    It's worth the effort! The plot is silly, but the sets, special effects, and the way it's shot are spectacular.
    If you've got a decent home theatre system it's worth it for the soundtrack alone

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    If you've got a decent home theatre system it's worth it for the soundtrack alone
    Depending on which version you're watching!

Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Depending on which version you're watching!
    4k Blu-Ray

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    4k Blu-Ray
    I meant that there are different soundtracks on different versions. Music wasn't a prority on silent films and wasn't specified.

One time at Christmas ground through the LOTR trilogy, never ever again! I consider myself a film buff of eclectic taste but I just do not get it at all. Same goes for the comic book stuff which has virtually screwed film-making into almost a $1BN profit or it doesn't get made business.

I'm trying to think of a modern film I've missed but am keen to see - honestly struggling.

The entire Marvel "Universe" holds zero interest for me.

However, I found a little gem called Operation Chromite the other night - a film set during the Korean War, with Liam Neason, much better than I expected and apparently based on real events.

Gone With The Wind is a movie I feel I should watch someday, but just can't bring myself to do so...

(And once upon a time I lectured in Film Studies for a little while, so I am probably fraudulent due to not seeing it).

Craftsman
    The revenant.

I’d recommend LOTR but fell asleep in the hobbit and I never do that.

Rear Window and 39 Steps I thought both brilliant and easy watching.

Gone With The Wind - was my grandpas favourite, so forced myself through it while on a 12 hour flight. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The entire Marvel "Universe" holds zero interest for me.
    It is a universe, and some of the films really can't stand on their own, but even though I am biased, I can unreservedly recommend the first Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok. I didn't work on either, but they are my favourite as they largely stand on their own and are genuinely very entertaining.

My favourite films of the last 10 years have been Mad Max: Fury Road and Blade Runner 2049. I am very excited about the new Dune.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    It is a universe, and some of the films really can't stand on their own, but even though I am biased, I can unreservedly recommend the first Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor Ragnarok. I didn't work on either, but they are my favourite as they largely stand on their own and are genuinely very entertaining.

My favourite films of the last 10 years have been Mad Max: Fury Road and Blade Runner 2049. I am very excited about the new Dune.

I'll take your recommendations on board!

Also, agree MMFR was great fun (although basically an hour and a half long chase sequence, but so well done) and BR 2049 was worth a watch, but I think only a one time watch for me.

I don't think I've watched a single Merchant Ivory movie either - probably should watch Remains of the Day sometime...?

I'll take your recommendations on board!

Also, agree MMFR was great fun (although basically an hour and a half long chase sequence, but so well done) and BR 2049 was worth a watch, but I think only a one time watch for me.

I don't think I've watched a single Merchant Ivory movie either - probably should watch Remains of the Day sometime...?

I've become a really big fan of Denis Villeneuve and really like his pacing and sense of time and space. Unlike a lot of the more modern directors he doesn't sacrifice the quiet moments for the sake of the set pieces. My biggest issue with a lot of modern spectacle sci-fi is that they are built around a few major set pieces and everything in between is there just to get you from A to B. Villeneuve lets things breathe in a very old fashioned way. For me the exception is Fury Road, which literally is just one long set piece, but George Miller is a master and there is so much subtext and detail that if you want to delve deeper, there is a whole universe to uncover, but if you just want to watch a badass chase it delivers that too.

I really need to watch A Clockwork Orange and Dr Strangelove from my favourite director.

Re: Marvel - I found the scene in Captain America: Civil War where various Avengers were split over the morality of what they do and the responsibility of their actions really well acted and a welcome departure from some of the other movies in the franchise which were a bit of a disappointment to me having grown up reading Marvel Comics from the mid-late 70s.

Master
    I’ve failed to watch Citizen Kane, embarrassingly. I know I ‘should’ but it never seems like the moment.

BTW I didn’t think much of the Marvel films in the cinema (with a couple of exceptions), but they made complete sense watched one a night in story order, not release order, with a pint or two of wine during the deepest darkest days of the first lockdown. Like a very high budget box set binge, instead of stand-alone films where you can’t remember the overarching plot of films made years ago… much better.

Hobbits work the same way, and should be seen on a big 3D video projector. Every now and again they pull out a pipe and smoke something. I think it’s a hint of some kind…

I recently watched this in 4K HDR and it looked (and sounded) so good that its slightly slow pace made perfect sense, you wanted more time to drink it in. It benefits from a rewatch or two that one.

Good thread, A.

I think we all need to acknowledge that if we haven't watched something it's because we don't really care that much.

Films I should have watched include Some Like It Hot, Psycho, City Lights and The Dark Knight. They're not going to be viewed in the near future as I have many more films I want to watch more than once which aren't critical successes.

Shawshank Redemption
    The Godfather Series

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Good thread, A.

I think we all need to acknowledge that if we haven't watched something it's because we don't really care that much.

Films I should have watched include Some Like It Hot, Psycho, City Lights and The Dark Knight. They're not going to be viewed in the near future as I have many more films I want to watch more than once which aren't critical successes.
    Some Like it Hot is still genuinely hilarious today. And Psycho is just seminal. A truly remarkable film that I used extensively in film studies lectures not only because it is so iconic and influential, but because it’s structure and the editing and lighting techniques were ground breaking.