closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC G10 in need of repair...any suggestions?

CWC G10 in need of repair...any suggestions?

My apologies if I missed a thread which would already be answering this question, but I have a nice little CWC G10 from 1990 to which I recently gave a new battery, and yet it still doesn't tick.

I'd like it to work and wear it, so I would be interested if someone can suggest a good place for it to get some TLC, or if someone here has the knowledge to fix it?

It's only about the movement, as other than that I want to keep the watch as original as possible.

Thank you!

Contact cwc or silvermans for repair.I have been quoted £100 to swap the movement elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Oh yes I forgot to mention: I did contact CWC but they told me they wouldn't perform themselves a repair on an old cwc like this one

I am also open to the idea of doing it myself if it is just a movement swap, and if the parts can be found, but I thought I would give it a try if someone here can

Grand Master
    The ESA movements for pre- 87 versions aren’t available and owing to the use of plastic parts they sometimes can’t be fixed. Before a repairer will give an estimate to fix it they need to know which movement it uses.

Unless you know what you’re doing I don’t recommend trying to fit a replacement movement yourself. Removing and refitting hands needs care and the correct tools, its all too mark the dial. Handling a quartz movement needs care, if the coil comes into contact with a metal item ( such as a screwdriver) the circuit will end up as scrap, its v. easy to wreck the movement.

Most modern (post 1990) ETA quartz movements can be brought back to life by straightforward stripping, cleaning and rebuilding provided the circuit us working OK, but with the relatively low cost of replacements it often makes sense to fit a new movement. However, new ETA movements in sealed packaging are getting harder to source, loosepacked ones are often available but I don’t like using them unless there’s no alternative and ideally they should be stripped and relubricated to guarantee longevity.

Olli of this parish is your man.

http://onatelier.co.uk

He has serviced three of mine this year and is currently working on a 4th. He has access to genuine CWC parts, definitely the go to guy for any G10 work.

Another vote for Olivier here - perfect comms, good price & quick turnaround

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the answers!
    Do you usually contact him through the forum or through his website directly?

It seems mine has an ETA 955.114 based on its year of manufacture, so hopefully that will not be too much of an issue to fix it
    Last edited by Wandril; 14th June 2021 at 17:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    Thank you for the answers!
    Do you usually contact him through the forum or through his website directly?

It seems mine has an ETA 955.114 based on its year of manufacture, so hopefully that will not be too much of an issue to fix it
    I would e-mail his website address and tell him you are a member on here (with user name), tell him what you have, what think the issues are and what you would like. Normally a full service covers everything, because if there is an issue Olivier will find it and sort it. He will know quite quickly if it's mechanical or an issue with the electronics.

Go for it, he is a real nice guy.

Thank you very much for the recommandation!
    I contacted him, we shall see how it goes!