closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Any problems with 'QR' Spring Bars?

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    2,725

    Any problems with 'QR' Spring Bars?

    I've never trusted 'QR' anything, so tend to avoid where possible.

    My theory being......... 'That which can come undone, will come undone'.

    But lately many straps seem to only come with 'QR' bars.

    I've just bought four straps, all with 'QR' bars and was considering replacing them with conventional spring bars.

    'What say ye'

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Lake District
    Posts
    1,824
    Have had quite a few qr spring bars over the years and never had a problem with any. Did have a normal spring bar fail on me last week, first one ever. Luckily I was sitting on the sofa so watch just rolled off my wrist onto my lap.

  3. #3
    Only one watch with a QR strap, no issues and feels solid as a rock.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  4. #4
    Craftsman Idontgram's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    528
    Same as above, no issue with them whatsoever, now prefer straps with them.

  5. #5
    Craftsman Wandril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    449
    I tend to be against QR springbars for two reasons:

    - It happened to me that the "head" that you pull to take off the spring bars just fell and got lost (some are screwed on the springbar, some are just friction fitted).
    It can be quite a pain then to take off the springbar, as you don't have shoulders on it to grab it with a tool, so tricky...

    - It implies to have a cut out in the leather to accomodate the "head". On the long run, you can consider that it is weakening a bit the leather where the cut out is


    * and I don't mind taking 5 more seconds to use a spring bar tool
    Last edited by Wandril; 14th June 2021 at 11:16.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandril View Post
    I tend to be against QR springbars for two reasons:

    - It happened to me that the "head" that you pull to take off the spring bars just fell and got lost (some are screwed on the springbar, some are just friction fitted).
    It can be quite a pain then to take off the springbar, as you don't have shoulders on it to grab it with a tool, so tricky...

    - It implies to have a cut out in the leather to accomodate the "head". On the long run, you can consider that it is weakening a bit the leather where the cut out is

    Thank you,

    Point 1.......The watches for the four new straps all have 'through' holes in lugs.

    Point 2.......In all my watch wearing years....about 70, I have never ever suffered from a strap failure in SB area.

  7. #7
    Iíve got two QR straps and live them. Feel safe and love the quick changeover without scratching up the watch.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Yorkshire at the moment
    Posts
    2,953
    Not had a problem in 18 months.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    648
    Never had a problem with them, having tested them around the house for months. Took one watch on holiday last week with QR strap and a few others for variety. No issues at all.

    My only caveat is with drilled lugs. I am still wearing my watch with QR straps, but so far, no issues. Whether I'll wear it outside with these straps remains to be seen. In theory, there shouldn't be an issue, so its a me thing.

    The fact you can swap them without a tool is great. Take loads with one watch on holiday, of all materials, and it adds considerable variety.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    My only caveat is with drilled lugs. I am still wearing my watch with QR straps, but so far, no issues. Whether I'll wear it outside with these straps remains to be seen. In theory, there shouldn't be an issue, so its a me thing.
    Can I ask what is the 'me thing' you mention with drilled lugs?

    Is that through drilled lugs?

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales View Post
    Can I ask what is the 'me thing' you mention with drilled lugs?

    Is that through drilled lugs?
    Yes drilled through. I guess it makes me a bit nervous when the end pin isn't sitting against the solid metal case inside the lug.

    It just seems to me more secure when using the straps without drilled lugs. But I think there is no basis in fact for my thoughts. At the end of the day the strap is locked tight by the spring bars between the lugs, whether the lugs are drilled or not.

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    648
    I gave my daughter one of my cheaper divers with QR straps, when she went swimming, knowing full well that kids don't give a rats *&^%&% about watches when they plunge down slides etc. No issues.

  13. #13
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,899
    I don't trust them. Always remove them and use traditional ones. Imagine losing a coveted watch. Why take the risk? Why? Tell me why?

  14. #14
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,106
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I don't trust them. Always remove them and use traditional ones. Imagine losing a coveted watch. Why take the risk? Why? Tell me why?
    I am amazed springbars work so well, a tiny bit of metal holding your pride and joy!
    I agree with the QR bars though, they never seem to sit deep enough in the lug holes and I too think they are just introducing an additional failure point in the strap.

  15. #15
    Master Geralt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am amazed springbars work so well, a tiny bit of metal holding your pride and joy!
    I agree with the QR bars though, they never seem to sit deep enough in the lug holes and I too think they are just introducing an additional failure point in the strap.
    +1. Too many risk factors. Could never buy a QR strap when strap changing (with decent tool and a bit of practice) takes about 5 seconds longer. I also don't like the fact that the strap has a hole in it. Perfect breeding ground for nasties!

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,151
    QR straps are a god send. I donít buy the potential negatives. Patek use them as standard on Calatravas etc.

    I think there is some over-worrying going on in this thread, and Iím a natural worrier :)

  17. #17
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    13,566
    As somebody who wears vintage more often than not, they don't work in watches set up for female spring bars. I have one strap (a Joseph Bonnie tropic) with QR bars and probably won't be expanding the collection much beyond that.
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

  18. #18
    All of CW watches come with QR bracelets or straps. So, thatís thousands and thousands of watches. Never heard of a problem and not seen any issue on the CW forum.

    Use with confidence.

  19. #19
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    5,834
    I use QR spring bar straps on most of my watches. I have a MM300 on a quick release strap today and the watch head is pretty heavy as most of you know.

    I've never ever has an issue with the QR strap and bar combination.

    I do know that at least one strap seller on Amazon supplies thicker variants of the spring bars as I've tried them. The standard QR bars are as good as the upgraded variant.
    Last edited by j111dja; 14th June 2021 at 21:58.

  20. #20
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    north uk
    Posts
    240
    This is a good read, I bought a strap with QR in a bundle and I've wondered about using it. I feel more confident now.

  21. #21
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,563
    Having never used QR straps before, I deliberately went down that route with three different QR straps for my Offshore Professional Field Engineer- a watch I value very highly.

    My rationale is that I could regularly and easily change the look, making it much more versatile.

    Iíve been delighted with the results and the fit is solid and secure. I may well invest in more.

    Simon

  22. #22
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. Lagoa or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    10,339
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    QR straps are a god send. I don’t buy the potential negatives. Patek use them as standard on Calatravas etc.

    I think there is some over-worrying going on in this thread, and I’m a natural worrier :)
    Confirmed about the Calatrava. I think this topic has been discussed before and I posted my 5146J picture. I have no issue at all and make it far easier to change straps.

    here is the picture again - OEM strap


    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly soĒ. HHGTTG


  23. #23
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    5,834
    I have been chatting to several forum members recently about the quick release spring bar straps. They lacked confidence in buying them. I had never had an issue so all I could do was to recommend them.

    How many watches have you bought or seen on Sales Corner with the dreaded strap changing marks on the top and bottom of lugs? Too many. These spring bars are the perfect solution for people who don't have a clue when it comes to strap and bracelet changing. :-)

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Confirmed about the Calatrava. I think this topic has been discussed before and I posted my 5146J picture. I have no issue at all and make it far easier to change straps.

    here is the picture again - OEM strap

    To be fair that does look a little delicate - surely the strap should be sealed up nearer the lug too? Has it torn?

    I personally quite like them but it's never a deciding factor when it comes to buying. It has however put me off a few canvas straps because the hole for the adjustment bar isn't very often sealed so they can fray from that point really quickly.

  25. #25
    Master earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    ... How many watches have you bought or seen on Sales Corner with the dreaded strap changing marks on the top and bottom of lugs? Too many. These spring bars are the perfect solution for people who don't have a clue when it comes to strap and bracelet changing. :-)
    Good point well made

    ___________________________________


    As well as watch manufacturers like Christopher Ward, most smartwatches have QR (springbars or thumb-clips) - with millions more sold than conventional watches. Some major high-end strap-makers like Hirsch also use them extensively.

    Nothing's foolproof, but it's an unlikely scenario where just the right shaped object can slip between wrist and strap and release it accidentally, so the only failure mode is the same as for any springbar - apply enough pressure and the springbar could fail, but you're talking about the kind of pressure that could cause you injury if there wasn't some kind of failsafe, and here again it's going to be a rare scenario.

    I use them, I don't worry about them. The one exception is the occasional cheap, Chinese strap that comes with flimsy, shoddily-made springbars - they always get replaced with Hirsch springbars.

  26. #26
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    63
    Never had a problem with them. That being said I tend to stick to good quality straps. I wouldn't put a watch I care about damaging on a cheap strap / springbar regardless of whether its QR or not. Only ever had a springbar fail once and it was completely my fault as the watch got caught on something with quite a force. Happens it was a very affordable watch too

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    To be fair that does look a little delicate - surely the strap should be sealed up nearer the lug too? Has it torn?

    I personally quite like them but it's never a deciding factor when it comes to buying. It has however put me off a few canvas straps because the hole for the adjustment bar isn't very often sealed so they can fray from that point really quickly.
    It’s not delicate, no need to worry :) That is how Patek supply them, open to the end.

  28. #28
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. Lagoa or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    10,339
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    To be fair that does look a little delicate - surely the strap should be sealed up nearer the lug too? Has it torn?

    I personally quite like them but it's never a deciding factor when it comes to buying. It has however put me off a few canvas straps because the hole for the adjustment bar isn't very often sealed so they can fray from that point really quickly.
    The Patek strap is OEM supplied with the last service. Not torn that I can see. The previous one(s) - original in 2006 - did not have such spaces - maybe itís a new feature.

    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly soĒ. HHGTTG


  29. #29
    I see! How strange - does the strap not 'lift up' in that corner?

  30. #30
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. Lagoa or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    10,339
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I see! How strange - does the strap not 'lift up' in that corner?
    no - here is the top view - the leather has been cut (not torn) to a small V shape, to allow easier access.

    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 15th June 2021 at 16:43.

    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly soĒ. HHGTTG


  31. #31
    I recently bought 2 straps with quick release bars - a leather Hirsch jobbie where the little handles stick out so far you can see them between the lug gaps when the watch is on the wrist if you look carefully. The other is a watchgecko tropic and they are excellent. Allows me to swap straps on my Newmark 52 without risking the back of the lugs if I canít be bothered to tape them over!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    By means of illustrationÖ..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #33
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    6
    I've had various QR springbars on watches for about three years now and never had a problem... and for me at least they make strap changes 100x easier. I am a total convert.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information