closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex DeepSea D Blue - 126660

Rolex DeepSea D Blue - 126660

I tried this beauty on today and finally a Rolex watch I am not disappointed with.

Does anyone know what the likely wait time is for one?

Thanks

i can't help with that, but it looks like you need to get yourself over to the motorbike thread!

I don’t really understand questions like this, especially when it comes to Rolex waiting times. The answer for a number of years now is effectively ‘how long is a piece of string’? - if you want one, you might have to wait a few years, you might spot one in a shop window, you might find one in a grey dealer at vastly inflated prices, or a gently used one somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I got my James Cameron from Watches of Switzerland on Oxford Street last July. I waited 5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I don’t really understand questions like this, especially when it comes to Rolex waiting times. The answer for a number of years now is effectively ‘how long is a piece of string’? - if you want one, you might have to wait a few years, you might spot one in a shop window, you might find one in a grey dealer at vastly inflated prices, or a gently used one somewhere else.

The definition of unhelpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I got my James Cameron from Watches of Switzerland on Oxford Street last July. I waited 5 weeks.
    There you go! Not that hard to understand after all.

It’s not unhelpful though is it? Someone else’s experience last year in the world of Rolex availability is totally irrelevant. I still think it’s a daft question, to which there is not a helpful answer.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    It’s not unhelpful though is it? Someone else’s experience last year in the world of Rolex availability is totally irrelevant. I still think it’s a daft question, to which there is not a helpful answer.

I agree.
    One persons experience has no bearing on another’s, too many factors have an influence, some you can skew in your favour (e.g.purchase history), most you can’t. (Eg the sales person selling most of them to his mates in the grey trade)
    The only way to find out is to go in to the shop and ask the person behind the desk. Be prepared for BS and to be fobbed off though.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th June 2021 at 11:49.

I must avoid Rolex threads on here in future, it reminds me why I left Turf over a decade ago. It’s all about availability and future values, then glorifying what are well made but actually pretty ordinary watches. I totally understand - if you have to wait years and want to spend 5 figures on a watch the end result has to be in some way justifiable. If you decide to view it from a more logical perspective and take off your WIS hat for a moment, it starts to become a bit laughable and just plain difficult to comprehend. Unless it’s about just showing off your wealth which everyone fawning over the new releases will strenuously deny (I have no issue with showing off your wealth by the way, it’s still a free country thank goodness)
    Here I go again, Groundhog Day just like every Rolex thread!!

Master
    At least it’s a better question than the most asked own on the FB Rolex pages ….

‘Hi everyone, should I buy this?’!

As to the OP - great watch and like all steel professional, not easy to get unless you have history with an AD. That said it may well be possible if you put yourself out there and contact a few AD’s, express your interest and who knows you may get one?

Quote Originally Posted by omegamotorcyclist View Post
    I tried this beauty on today and finally a Rolex watch I am not disappointed with.

Does anyone know what the likely wait time is for one?
    Out of curiosity, did you ask the dealer where you tried this watch on and if you did, what was their response?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I agree.
    One persons experience has no bearing on another’s, too many factors have an influence, some you can skew in your favour (e.g.purchase history), most you can’t. (Eg the sales person selling most of them to his mates in the grey trade)
    The only way to find out is to go in to the shop and ask the person behind the desk. Be prepared for BS and to be fobbed off though.
    Both points of view are valid. Maybe I should have added "YMMV". I can only describe my experience but, as above, my experience is unlikely to match someone else's. Maybe I should have just made a snide comment or just not replied.
    It IS a piece of string question with a piece of string answer, but people ask in hope and, remembering some of the screamingly bone questions I've had patiently answered on here, I tried to answer positively. It doesn't really help the OP but I think it shows that occasionally miracles do happen. In my case I think extenuating circumstances helped but then we're back to everyone has a different experience.
    Anyway, good luck OP.

Blog Entries
    OP. Maybe keep your eyes on this thread - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-window-thread. You may get lucky. All steel Rolex are not easy to get.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Someone posted a comment recently that the D Blue and the Sea Dweller were not as difficult to get hold of as other SS models. What that was based on and how true it is, no idea.

I expressed an interest in the Sea Dweller 50th anniversary when it launched, at an AD I’d dealt with before, and heard nothing since on multiple visits!
    Last edited by David_D; 13th June 2021 at 14:53.

Both points of view are valid. Maybe I should have added "YMMV". I can only describe my experience but, as above, my experience is unlikely to match someone else's. Maybe I should have just made a snide comment or just not replied.
    It IS a piece of string question with a piece of string answer, but people ask in hope and, remembering some of the screamingly bone questions I've had patiently answered on here, I tried to answer positively. It doesn't really help the OP but I think it shows that occasionally miracles do happen. In my case I think extenuating circumstances helped but then we're back to everyone has a different experience.
    Anyway, good luck OP.
    There was no snide comment on my part, nor were I having a dig at you or anyone else.
    I was simply agreeing that one mans experience is unlikely to reflect his personal experience when the OP tries to acquire a watch. The daft situation that Rolex and their dealers create means that other criteria come in the play. Simply opening your wallet is no longer good enough unless you pay the inflated grey prices.

That said this question comes up at least twice a month, it ain’t changing any time soon.

I think the replies to this type of thread are trying to be helpful, as in ‘I got one last year and waited x weeks’ and that’s more helpful than a snide comment. My comment wasn’t meant to be snide or unhelpful. I was simply saying, when it comes to Rolex for the last few years, ‘who knows’ how long it will take. A friend of mine walked into an AD he’d never been to before about 18 months ago, in fact to buy his first proper watch, 8 weeks later his Pepsi gmt jubilee bracelet was on his wrist. No idea how he managed that. Totally random. How long is a piece of string?

Master
    I didn't mean to imply that people were being snide to me, I don't think that anyone has been.
    Answering the unanswerable question means that you can only give your answer, knowing, even as you are pecking at the keys, that each circumstance is unique.
    The question recurs, partly because people want reassurance that the dream is attainable, and partly because the situation is unusual - there aren't many things that money cannot buy. This is unnerving to people.
    I haven't mentioned the grey market in the above paragraph because it is its own paradox. They do have watches you can buy if only you will pay the eye watering markup. The issue there is that most people are brought up not to throw money away. This is compounded by the frustration of knowing the RRP vs the grey price (de facto market value anyone?) and not wanting to pay 50% over the odds when by waiting they might be able to get the watch at RRP...
    It's no wonder it drives people crazy!

Depends how much you spend with the AD. I know Mappin & Webb check your spend history and so if you've say stuck £15k their way on non-SS Rolex in the past 12 months (very important that - a customer who just buys steel Rolexes is NOT a good customer as they aren't providing incremental revenue) say on an Omega, Panerai and a Breitling then you'll get one within 6 months. If you haven't then 2 years or so (typically)?
    There isnt a huge great market mark up on them though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You were quite lucky. I have been waiting almost 12 months now with no joy. My AD secured a BLNR and Sub date in less time for me. Must remember to be patient.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwool View Post
    You were quite lucky. I have been waiting almost 12 months now with no joy. My AD secured a BLNR and Sub date in less time for me. Must remember to be patient.
    I was exceptionally lucky! There were several factors that may have been influential in my success ; 1) I had bought a DJ41 from that store within the previous year, 2) I have known one of the senior sales people there for a long time (and originally from another store), 3) The store made an error that inconvenienced me earlier (called me in for the wrong watch). They apologised profusely and assured me that the very next Cameron they received would be mine, 4) I happened to call for an update on the day they had a delivery.
    That's a long string of lucky happenstance but I am very appreciative that they kept their promise!

Wow!

To everyone else: I know this threads are annoying, and I am sorry, I just wanted to understand if Rolex watches are basically not an option anymore. If not, I will move on to other ideas, like a Blancpain. Its ridiculous that Rolex has allowed this to happen really, and all the BS games playing the dealer wants or other spend is pathetic really
    Last edited by omegamotorcyclist; 17th June 2021 at 07:33.

For further illustration in the past 3 weeks with 1 AD locally I have purchased a Grand Seiko, Panerai Radiomir, IWC Pilots Chrono and Omega Speedmaster Professional. Plus brokered a deal for a TT Explorer. Total Outlay £19k by me plus £9k or so for the Explorer. It has gotten me either the new Silver Snoopy or a Green Submariner, like TODAY if I want it. Issue is they need to be kept for 2 years which I won't so I'll bank the credit against a Daytona later which I will keep.

Master
    Wow in which year was that? Did they need to see any purchase history? I went into Rolex on Regent Street at WoS and had a very strange experience there. She said any professional watch in their range is a 4 or 5th watch and no chance of anything otherwise.

I told them I was also considering a Blancpain.

The fact that you have to play games potentially rather than just being honest is incredibly frustrating...
    I collected it on 31st July 2020. I had a modest purchase history in that I bought a DJ41 there in 2019. Regent Street is an OK store but go to Oxford Street & ask to speak to Joe, he's an absolute legend and you will have a great experience. Obviously nothing is guaranteed and, as I wrote above, luck featured largely in my story, but Joe is an old school watch guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Now so queer as folk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    For further illustration in the past 3 weeks with 1 AD locally I have purchased a Grand Seiko, Panerai Radiomir, IWC Pilots Chrono and Omega Speedmaster Professional. Plus brokered a deal for a TT Explorer. Total Outlay £19k by me plus £9k or so for the Explorer. It has gotten me either the new Silver Snoopy or a Green Submariner, like TODAY if I want it. Issue is they need to be kept for 2 years which I won't so I'll bank the credit against a Daytona later which I will keep.
    Thought you had a family member who owned an AD? Surprised you should need to play silly games with another AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Thought you had a family member who owned an AD? Surprised you should need to play silly games with another AD.
    That's in Thailand. Not the UK. But even with the family member apart from being able to get OP 41s quite easily due to nobody in Thailand wanting one apart from teenage girls everything else is by the rules. With the UK AD I wasbt buying to get anything other than the watches I bought, I'm just sharing what they offered me. I am contemplating the Snoopy if truth be told but they are adamant no flipping for 2 years which is what I'm having to weigh up.

everything else is by the rules.
    What are the rules? Don’t see any issue with them selling you a Daytona (that you want to keep)? Maybe it’s different in Thailand of course but here there is no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    What are the rules? Don’t see any issue with them selling you a Daytona (that you want to keep)? Maybe it’s different in Thailand of course but here there is no issue.
    I mean by their policy, they won't give me preferential treatment on a Daytona for example just because it is my wife's aunt who runs the AD.

Wow so there isn't a strict waiting list for that new Snoopy? Like you could get one today?

Contact Lenlec, he has one for sale on SC at the moment.

Wow so there isn't a strict waiting list for that new Snoopy? Like you could get one today?
    There is a strict waiting list for the Snoopy. They are selling for 3x RRP as well on the grey market.

Master
    There is a strict waiting list for the Snoopy. They are selling for 3x RRP as well on the grey market.

If it were me Ryan I’d be buying it right now then in that case. Or the green sub. Partly because they are nice watches and even if you sell them in a couple of years you won’t lose out, but mainly because things change and what you may be promised in the future, may not happen. Different manager, different company policy, different company even. Who knows? A bird in the hand and all that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    If it were me Ryan I’d be buying it right now then in that case. Or the green sub. Partly because they are nice watches and even if you sell them in a couple of years you won’t lose out, but mainly because things change and what you may be promised in the future, may not happen. Different manager, different company policy, different company even. Who knows? A bird in the hand and all that :-)
    Problem is I don't really like either. New Speedy Pro is a knockout though in Hesalite config

Master
    Problem is I don't really like either. New Speedy Pro is a knockout though in Hesalite config

Yep fair enough, was just thinking about you getting a bit stitched up if the ‘rules’ change at an AD.

If the ultimate aim is a Daytona, the snoopy purchase is a more cost effective route in to it via future trade, is it not?

Back to JC talk, a local non-Rolex AD had an April 21 model in the window at £16k on 8 June that appears to be sold. Clearly don’t know at what price but seems there’s interest even with a good hike on rrp.