closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best Jewelers Screwdriver Set

Master

Best Jewelers Screwdriver Set

Following my minor fiasco trying to adjust the bracelet on my new Baby Dreadnought and realising my old, tatty, screwdriver set is past it's prime.

Can anyone, please, recommend a jewelers/precision screwdriver set. Suitable for things such as link removal &c.

Something not too OTT price wise.

Thanks

Apologies if this is the wrong forum area but use of said screwdriver set IS for adjusting watches so I didn't know where to post :-)

Steve

Master
    Emailed Eddie about the screwdriver size for the baby dreadnought bracelet and he said to use a 1.2mm but could use a 1.0mm if thats all you have. Some decent sets on ebay amongst all the dross.

The french made Cousins 9 piece set is good value for money at £29.50+ VAT
    If you buy a set of screwdrivers you should also buy a stone and a sharpening jig, even good quality screwdrivers will be useless when their tip wears.
    And very importantly to avoid damaging screw heads you need to be able to dress the tip so that the screwdriver head fits in the slot. Different screws of the same head diameter will have different slot sizes. The slot on bracelet screws is usually very thick, and damage is pretty much guaranteed if they are tight and you use a screwdriver "out of the box" without flattening the tip to suit the slot. Heat may also be required if threadlock was applied.

Not sure what size you need, but for my Omega bracelets I obtained a 1.8mm wiha precision screwdriver from a member on here. It was a bit of a revelation for me when comparing it to the cheap chinese screwdrivers I have used in the past. It must be a perfect fit for Omega screwheads as its never slipped.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Emailed Eddie about the screwdriver size for the baby dreadnought bracelet and he said to use a 1.2mm but could use a 1.0mm if thats all you have. Some decent sets on ebay amongst all the dross.
    Thanks... that's worth knowing. Whatever set I get then I'll ensure that size is covered. tbh what I did was file down the nearest size I had until it fitted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    The french made Cousins 9 piece set is good value for money at £29.50+ VAT
    If you buy a set of screwdrivers you should also buy a stone and a sharpening jig, even good quality screwdrivers will be useless when their tip wears.
    And very importantly to avoid damaging screw heads you need to be able to dress the tip so that the screwdriver head fits in the slot. Different screws of the same head diameter will have different slot sizes. The slot on bracelet screws is usually very thick, and damage is pretty much guaranteed if they are tight and you use a screwdriver "out of the box" without flattening the tip to suit the slot. Heat may also be required if threadlock was applied.
    Do you know of a site I can order this from. Cousins UK want me to be 'in the trade' ;-)

belay that... just registered with them fine.

and now purchased! :-)
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 11th June 2021 at 14:42.

Master
    Blog Entries
    [
    I recently bought a couple of Bergeon 1.2 mm screwdrivers from Amazon ,about £16.00 each iirc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Do you know of a site I can order this from. Cousins UK want me to be 'in the trade' ;-)
    I use this set from Cousins.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/co...es?code=S55419

Cheap stuff but I am very happy with them. They are not made with the precision of a Swiss set but having the advantage of parallel blades means you won’t damage the screw slots even if you don’t dress the blades first. I am completely ham fisted but have had no problem resizing bracelets with these without damage even to full PM watches.

Cousins supply to anyone who ticks the box.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post

belay that... just registered with them fine.
    Let time I bought from Cousins UK I saw that too but it let me checkout anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    I use this set from Cousins.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/co...es?code=S55419

Cheap stuff but I am very happy with them. They are not made with the precision of a Swiss set but having the advantage of parallel blades means you won’t damage the screw slots even if you don’t dress the blades first. I am completely ham fisted but have had no problem resizing bracelets with these without damage even to full PM watches.

Cousins supply to anyone who ticks the box.
    Cheers.. after checking the sizes included I went for the 9pc set.

Now purchased.

I did read somewhere that what you really want for bracelet screws are T-blade screw drivers - less chance of slipping etc...
    For example....https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ho...el-large-shank

I have found these to be really good.

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/pro...driver-box-set

Master
    Blog Entries
    AF are good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I did read somewhere that what you really want for bracelet screws are T-blade screw drivers - less chance of slipping etc...
    For example....https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ho...el-large-shank
    They do look good. I assume there's a handle you can buy to suite?

don't seem to have the smaller sizes?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have found these to be really good.

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/pro...driver-box-set
    Also good and a spare tip is useful.

Grand Master
    Treat screwdriver blades as a consumable! They can be redressed but they often end up getting chipped, it pays to buy replacement blades, tgey cost around £5 for a pack of 10.

Bracelet screws usually have wide slots, so a screwdriver blade needs dressing to get a snug fit. I use a flat diamond file plate for this.