closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Airbnb wants me to upload my actual Government photo id to make a booking...

Airbnb wants me to upload my actual Government photo id to make a booking...

...which means it will probably be off their servers and in the hands of a Russian or Chinese state aided hacker within a few years.

Is there anyway to get around this on Airbnb - I am new to booking with them?

Craftsman
    This is nothing new.

The varification is a good thing overall.

Grand Master
    Like the Russians and Chinese dont already have it !!
    RIAC

Yes, Air B&B do that. Its a good idea in my opinion. It means the property owners know who to sue for damage to their property & the renters know that they won't get away with trashing the place and running.
    It makes it difficult for people to abuse Air B&B, which stops the platform collapsing.

I too was reticent to hand over the details, then I thought about why they do it & I think they are justified. You wouldn't quibble about showing your driver's license & passport when renting a holiday car. This isn't much different.

What is a Government photo ID? Passport?

When i got my first android phone, about 10 years ago, i tried to buy an app and it got declined. They actually wanted me to post them my passport for ID verification. Pfff, no thanks. I've never been able to buy an app or game since, not that it's bothered me

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What is a Government photo ID? Passport?
    Passport, driving license.

And a selfie too it seems FFS!

Just a reminder, you’ll need to add an ID by Jun 11, 12:23 PM BST to confirm your booking in xxxxx. This will help us check that you’re really you.

We match your selfie photo to the ID you gave us, to check that you’re really you. We use the selfie to verify your identity—it will not be posted to your profile or shared with hosts.

Once that verification is done, you’ll be all set to finish your reservation. If it is not done, the booking will have to be canceled.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/articl...M2ODA2MmQ0Yzk4

A lot of Air B&B accommodation is a room within someone's (the hosts) own home, so it does make sense to have some form of ID confirmation check, especially in that context. Otherwise there would be lots of Mr/Mrs Smith, Michael Mouse, Mr A Nonymous guests etc etc.

Not uncommon, scammers won’t have both the ID and selfie.

Sounds reasonable providing that they comply with Data Protection Regulations, which look to be in order.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/articl...privacy-policy
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Like the Russians and Chinese dont already have it !!
    Vlad has confirmed receipt already

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It deters renters from operating a pop-up brothel, which has been a problem in France.

I booked this morn snd just vitrified with my address which they tie up to your bank/payment details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    ...which means it will probably be off their servers and in the hands of a Russian or Chinese state aided hacker within a few years.

Is there anyway to get around this on Airbnb - I am new to booking with them?
    When Airbnb were quite new in the UK, several years ago now. In order to book a cottage they were demanding a) we send them pictures and b) details of our facebook page.

tbh this is the sort of practice that large corporate companies used to do 30+ years ago.... i.e. vetting you looked right before you would get a job interview (and, yes, you can very easily read various race discrimination factors into this). I had to do this to get a job interview with BP!

So when people like Airbnb want these sort of personal details I walk away. I don't like Airbnb :-(

I would be concerned about uploading my id as well.

I would suggest do it, but when you are finished with the rental period upload a fake one instead then if there is a data breach or leak they will not have your own photo.

Tried to set up with my wife as the account holder but the same insistence on ID uploads, meanwhile
    I can open countless bank, share dealing, investment, Government HMRC, VAT accounts etc, etc with no such demands. Airbnb can do a big fat **** off and we’ll find accommodation some other way*

*err, hopefully...not so easy the day before and within 20 miles of Goodwood FOS! :D