closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grass carp

Grass carp

Anyone keep fish?
    A friend of mine has four grass carp about 15inches long they want rid off and wants to know if they are worth anything

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

After watching Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall try one once i know they aint worth eating :)

other than that i think they are classed as a pest species in most pools.

Blog Entries
    Might be worth advertising them, someone might take them.

https://www.aquaticstoyourdoor.co.uk...ss-carp-10-12/
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I'm a reluctant Koi owner having bought a house with a pond and 5 Koi. From my experiences, a lot of fish keepers are reluctant to inteoduce new fish into an established pond in case of spreading disease. I'd be lucky to give my Koi away I reckon. At best, people tend to take fish if someone is decommisioning a pond and will also let them have all the pond equipment too.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    After watching Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall try one once i know they aint worth eating :) .
    Plus, the amount of chemicals that tends to go in a pond can’t make the fish particularly good for you. At some stage a lot of fish owners will have treated their pond with malachite green which makes the fish unfit for consumption as it is a carcinogen.

Gefilte fish.
    Enough said.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I haven't eaten Grass Carp, but I have tried most UK freshwater and sea fish, including Common and Crucian Carp. I have them both in the same folder as Wrasse, i.e. inedible unless you have run out of rats to eat.

There are cultures that eat Carp as a traditional Festive dish. I wonder- what do they eat for normal cuisine? Shit?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I haven't eaten Grass Carp, but I have tried most UK freshwater and sea fish, including Common and Crucian Carp. I have them both in the same folder as Wrasse, i.e. inedible unless you have run out of rats to eat.

There are cultures that eat Carp as a traditional Festive dish. I wonder- what do they eat for normal cuisine? Shit?
    pretty similar to what i was told by a farmer when younger and i asked him if chub was any good to eat (i had been fishing for grayling at the time but a bad day had only given me a few chub) - i was told >

gut and clean the chub
    stuff some herbs in its belly and sqeeze some lemon juice over it
    put it on a wooden chopping board and put it in the oven for 20 mins
    when done take it out the oven throw the fish in the bin and eat the wood as it will taste better than the chub

imo grayling is our best fresh water eating fish , followed by perch.

Eating coarse fish is pointless and the reason they are called coarse, Pike, Perch and Eels are supposedly okay if not a bit earthy.

Personally, I love fishing and would never take any for the table, much more satisfaction seeing them swim off.

Grass Carp apparently love to eat blanket weed and were often kept for this reason.