closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS22 Speedbird - a forgotten gem?

PRS22 Speedbird - a forgotten gem?

I’ve been wearing my Speedbird III for the past couple of weeks and it has reminded me of what a fantastic watch this really is.

It seems to me that it’s been somewhat forgotten about over the last year or two with the 36mm Everest and PRS29 grabbing all the attention. If 36mm isn’t quite your thing (or even if it is with the baby Speedbird being available now), the slightly larger, 38mm Speedbird could be the answer.

It’s got the typical “hewn from a block of steel” feel that Eddie’s watches are famous for, with an equally hefty bracelet with butterfly clasp. No micro adjustment so it’s not always possible to get the perfect fit, but smallish links makes it possible to get close enough.

The dial is legible to those of us with older eyesight and the lume is good enough to last the whole night. Whilst the lined markers aren’t the largest, the polished chapter ring makes them effectively twice the size.

All in all, it’s a great watch and one that really deserves its place at the forefront of the Timefactors model line up.

Finally, a quick picture for those who don’t remember what they look like.

have had 2 so far ...

Craftsman
    I had one which sort of started my watch collecting/selling. The only thing I found was it was a trifle too large for me, then , voila, Eddie makes a 36mm version which is now my "go to" watch, just a wonderful thing. I just wish it was "sterile" dial like my old one, but it's not too intrusive. Cheers, John B4

Master
    I’m continually tempted by the Speedbird and even more so by its baby sibling. Great looking watch. Maybe one of these days.

Master
    The PRS22 and the Everest are both brilliant watches.

I've had a few 22s, but settled on the original PRS-1.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I find the PRS22 a very frustrating watch.

I've had it for years but very rarely wear it. Or at least when I do it's for relatively short periods.

It's beautiful. Solid. The feel of the case as you hold it in your hand is exceptional. Setting the time and winding feels like an event.

The size is good and it sits nicely on my wrist. The bracelet is lovely, buttery smooth and the clasp does its thing just as it should.

The entire watch set has a quality which is far above its price point and it is just an exceptional timepiece. I have watches that cost 10 times as much and it is easily their equal.

So every now and again I get it out of the watch box, hold it, set it, wind it, admire it, wonder at it and appreciate it. I put it on my wrist, determined that it's the only watch that I actually need.

And within a few minutes or perhaps a couple of hours, I've popped it back in the box and wandered off with something else on my wrist.

It happens every time, and I don't know why.

I get that Gyp and I’ve let two go previously. This is the first time I’ve worn this, my third, in ages.

We’ve been away for a few days so I haven’t had the option of changing it for something else which has given me the opportunity to get past that stage and fully appreciate just how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I've had a few 22s, but settled on the original PRS-1.

This one was actually yours Matthew, I won it in one of your raffles!

Master
    I ended up selling mine too - I had a very early one with a poshed up ETA movement. I think it was a combination of the sterile dial and IIRC the fact the it didn’t play nicely with Nato’s (bars too close to the case). I’ve considered the baby Speedbird but I really don’t like the typeface on the logo - so perhaps I’ll just have to ‘make do’ with my Navigator!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    This one was actually yours Matthew, I won it in one of your raffles!
    Brilliant! That one came to me via seikopath, so it has excellent karma included.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I've had two and feel the same. The bracelet fit ruined it for me both times.

The watch is fantastic and the bracelet is superb to look at and feels wonderful on the wrist, but the lack of adjustment killed it. It would be perfect for a couple of hours, then I'd go for a walk or something and within minutes it was like a boa constrictor on my wrist. I resorted to popping in an extra link (always fun swapping links on these) and sticking moleskin tape under the bracelet to take up the slack.

I never wanted to wear it on leather and a NATO wasn't the answer. I wanted to wear it on the bracelet.

The new one has the adjustable clasp but it's too chunky for the bracelet IMO.

All this said, my wrist has definitely expanded a bit recently so maybe I'll be able to get a good fit now.

Master
    Has anyone tried the Speedbird on on an alternative bracelet such as a beads of rice?

Not sure if I'm alone in this, but I've never successfully managed to remove the bracelet from my Speedbird.

I've got a couple of straps I'd like try, along with the original NATO but have never managed it.

Inspired by this thread though I've popped another link in to give me some summer slack (ok, post lockdown slack) and I'll see how I get on

I’m probably in a minority but even though I loved the watch design/specs I could never get on with the sterile dials of the older Speedbirds. Felt unfinished/home made to me. Much prefer the newer ones with Speedbird on the dial and prefer even more the Smiths branded models.

I've had a few SBIII over the years and they all went because of the butterfly clasp. I've had the branded and sterile versions and loved both. The case it great and the bracelet superb. I always thought it could be a real classic if it weren't for the clasp. Inspired by this thread I've ordered a new one with branded dial and new bracelet with folding clasp.

The new bracelet and clasp make it the gem it was always meant to be….

Craftsman

Personally I have always worn mine on a leather strap. I think the bracelet over powers the watch.

Mine was new to me in 2015 and will be staying, it’s a gem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Can any with the newest PRS 22 edition answer the following? Do leather straps tend to rub against the case or are the lugs long enough/spring bar holes placed further away from the case so there is no touch?

Yes leather straps rub against the case and mark the strap. It's happened on every version of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocam View Post
    Can any with the newest PRS 22 edition answer the following? Do leather straps tend to rub against the case or are the lugs long enough/spring bar holes placed further away from the case so there is no touch?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Yes leather straps rub against the case and mark the strap. It's happened on every version of the watch.
    Ah I see, thank you for the info.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    The sterile dial one is perfect. Thank God I bought one back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
    The sterile dial one is perfect. Thank God I bought one back in the day.
    I actually prefer the speedbird dial but currently have a sterile dial.

I've owned both and prefer the branded one as it balances the dial better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I actually prefer the speedbird dial but currently have a sterile dial.

Apprentice
    Hi guys, could anyone confirm if the current batch of Speedbirds PRS-22 have a date function if I were to pick the PRS-1 dial variant?

Why don’t I just wear this every day?

No date:

DIAL
    • Semi-matte black soft iron anti-magnetic, white painted numbers and triangle
    • Luminous: Hour markers Super Luminova C3
    • Date at 6 o'clock (no date on PRS-1 dial)

Quote Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
    Hi guys, could anyone confirm if the current batch of Speedbirds PRS-22 have a date function if I were to pick the PRS-1 dial variant?

Obviously no date window on the dial, but does the movement still have the date mechanism and the "ghost date" position of the crown?

I believe it does, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    Obviously no date window on the dial, but does the movement still have the date mechanism and the "ghost date" position of the crown?

I love them I acquired an original well worn example then a Creambird and a 3 with the top ETA movement I’m lucky I can get the bracelet just right.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Absolutely class:

post pictures

Master
    Did I imagine it or did very early versions have the BOAC speedbird logo on the dial?

You imagined it.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Did I imagine it or did very early versions have the BOAC speedbird logo on the dial?

Apprentice
    No date:

DIAL
    • Semi-matte black soft iron anti-magnetic, white painted numbers and triangle
    • Luminous: Hour markers Super Luminova C3
    • Date at 6 o'clock (no date on PRS-1 dial)

Thank you, I must've overlooked that part.

Master
    You imagined it.
    Partially my imagination (well someone else’s imagination) but I knew I saw it somewhere: http://www.mcbroom.biz/forum/read.php?2,111122

I see. I think it looks awful BTW.

Partially my imagination (well someone else’s imagination) but I knew I saw it somewhere: http://www.mcbroom.biz/forum/read.php?2,111122

I see. I think it looks awful BTW.
    + 1
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

I thought about doing it a couple of years ago but British Airways revived the speedbird logo and I don't need the hassle.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I thought about doing it a couple of years ago but British Airways revived the speedbird logo and I don't need the hassle.

Eddie
    I can only imagine the hassle.
    Last edited by gerrudd; 5th July 2021 at 15:38.

Apprentice
    I’m continually tempted by the Speedbird and even more so by its baby sibling. Great looking watch. Maybe one of these days.
    I have 36mm on my wrist right now and have to say that it is really a hidden gem, proportions altogether with the bracelet, dial balance and contrast with super readable frosted hour and minute hands, toped of with the beautiful white seconds hand, understated marvel. Thanks Eddie!

Apprentice

Question on domed crystal?

I have been looking at these for some time now, quite a few years actually, on Eddie's site. Over the years have purchased 3 other watches from Time Factors, but still window gazing at this one.

Is crystal actually domed? The description says domed crystal, but to my eyes the pictures look like a flat crystal.

Can someone please confirm if these are domed?

Thanks!

The PRS-22's crystal only has a very slight dome to it. From most angles it appears flat.

Master
    My third one arrived today. The current Speedbird bracelet has three micro-adjustment holes on the 12 o'clock end of the clasp. However, I can't see how you can use the inner two, as the steps inside the clasp prevent the hole in the end link lining up with the other two positions. As far as I can see they are for show only.

Hello

An absolutely fantastic watch with a superb bracelet, I do miss mine.....

I've just (finally) bought an SBIII which is a logo dial with the butterfly clasp.
    The watch I bought has had the hands painted white and re-lumed, which was a little bit the deciding factor for me, as I prefer the legibility of the white hands.

Not going to mince my words: this is one of my top five favourite watches ever, competing with several Rolex, 5 Breitling, 4 omega and about a dozen of Eddie's watches, as well as many many other brands.

There is almost nothing to criticize. Maybe I would carp about the date window at 6, because I really prefer non-date dials, but it isn't as big a problem as I would have expected.

The bracelet is a mofo to size, but if I managed it, you can. Sizing it - for me - is pretty easy; I wear bracelets a lite bit loose normally, and it has easily absorbed whatever I swell during a 6k run this afternoon. That's all I need.

I would be keen to try it on a nato strap but I may never bother because the end pieces look a bit scary.

I'd be surprised if I get tired of this, it is as near to totally satisfying me as anything I've ever encountered. Kudos to Eddie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Does anyone know if the current PRS-22 with PRS-1 dial comes with the ghost date position since there is no date function on the PRS-1 dial option?

TIA!

Apprentice
    Does anyone know if the current PRS-22 with PRS-1 dial comes with the ghost date position since there is no date function on the PRS-1 dial option?

TIA!
    Is anyone able to help? Thank you.

Master
    Is anyone able to help? Thank you.
    It is the same movement, so there will be a ghost date position.