closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS22 Speedbird - a forgotten gem?

PRS22 Speedbird - a forgotten gem?

Iíve been wearing my Speedbird III for the past couple of weeks and it has reminded me of what a fantastic watch this really is.

It seems to me that itís been somewhat forgotten about over the last year or two with the 36mm Everest and PRS29 grabbing all the attention. If 36mm isnít quite your thing (or even if it is with the baby Speedbird being available now), the slightly larger, 38mm Speedbird could be the answer.

Itís got the typical ďhewn from a block of steelĒ feel that Eddieís watches are famous for, with an equally hefty bracelet with butterfly clasp. No micro adjustment so itís not always possible to get the perfect fit, but smallish links makes it possible to get close enough.

The dial is legible to those of us with older eyesight and the lume is good enough to last the whole night. Whilst the lined markers arenít the largest, the polished chapter ring makes them effectively twice the size.

All in all, itís a great watch and one that really deserves its place at the forefront of the Timefactors model line up.

Finally, a quick picture for those who donít remember what they look like.

have had 2 so far ...

Craftsman
    I had one which sort of started my watch collecting/selling. The only thing I found was it was a trifle too large for me, then , voila, Eddie makes a 36mm version which is now my "go to" watch, just a wonderful thing. I just wish it was "sterile" dial like my old one, but it's not too intrusive. Cheers, John B4

Master
    Iím continually tempted by the Speedbird and even more so by its baby sibling. Great looking watch. Maybe one of these days.

Master
    The PRS22 and the Everest are both brilliant watches.

I've had a few 22s, but settled on the original PRS-1.

Inform - Educate - Entertain

I find the PRS22 a very frustrating watch.

I've had it for years but very rarely wear it. Or at least when I do it's for relatively short periods.

It's beautiful. Solid. The feel of the case as you hold it in your hand is exceptional. Setting the time and winding feels like an event.

The size is good and it sits nicely on my wrist. The bracelet is lovely, buttery smooth and the clasp does its thing just as it should.

The entire watch set has a quality which is far above its price point and it is just an exceptional timepiece. I have watches that cost 10 times as much and it is easily their equal.

So every now and again I get it out of the watch box, hold it, set it, wind it, admire it, wonder at it and appreciate it. I put it on my wrist, determined that it's the only watch that I actually need.

And within a few minutes or perhaps a couple of hours, I've popped it back in the box and wandered off with something else on my wrist.

It happens every time, and I don't know why.

I get that Gyp and Iíve let two go previously. This is the first time Iíve worn this, my third, in ages.

Weíve been away for a few days so I havenít had the option of changing it for something else which has given me the opportunity to get past that stage and fully appreciate just how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I've had a few 22s, but settled on the original PRS-1.

This one was actually yours Matthew, I won it in one of your raffles!

Master
    I ended up selling mine too - I had a very early one with a poshed up ETA movement. I think it was a combination of the sterile dial and IIRC the fact the it didn’t play nicely with Nato’s (bars too close to the case). I’ve considered the baby Speedbird but I really don’t like the typeface on the logo - so perhaps I’ll just have to ‘make do’ with my Navigator!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    This one was actually yours Matthew, I won it in one of your raffles!
    Brilliant! That one came to me via seikopath, so it has excellent karma included.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

I've had two and feel the same. The bracelet fit ruined it for me both times.

The watch is fantastic and the bracelet is superb to look at and feels wonderful on the wrist, but the lack of adjustment killed it. It would be perfect for a couple of hours, then I'd go for a walk or something and within minutes it was like a boa constrictor on my wrist. I resorted to popping in an extra link (always fun swapping links on these) and sticking moleskin tape under the bracelet to take up the slack.

I never wanted to wear it on leather and a NATO wasn't the answer. I wanted to wear it on the bracelet.

The new one has the adjustable clasp but it's too chunky for the bracelet IMO.

All this said, my wrist has definitely expanded a bit recently so maybe I'll be able to get a good fit now.

Master
    Has anyone tried the Speedbird on on an alternative bracelet such as a beads of rice?

Not sure if I'm alone in this, but I've never successfully managed to remove the bracelet from my Speedbird.

I've got a couple of straps I'd like try, along with the original NATO but have never managed it.

Inspired by this thread though I've popped another link in to give me some summer slack (ok, post lockdown slack) and I'll see how I get on

Iím probably in a minority but even though I loved the watch design/specs I could never get on with the sterile dials of the older Speedbirds. Felt unfinished/home made to me. Much prefer the newer ones with Speedbird on the dial and prefer even more the Smiths branded models.

Grand Master
    I've had a few SBIII over the years and they all went because of the butterfly clasp. I've had the branded and sterile versions and loved both. The case it great and the bracelet superb. I always thought it could be a real classic if it weren't for the clasp. Inspired by this thread I've ordered a new one with branded dial and new bracelet with folding clasp.