closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: An affordable MB&F!?!?! Alas, you're not worthy

An affordable MB&F!?!?! Alas, you're not worthy

A MB&F for under 2k!?!?! Alas not available to you sir - well maybe for one member who owns an MB&F and will probably be offered one. And technically not an MB&F, as it's under the 'MAD' label.

Honestly I'm not sure it looks great, a bit too novel, but I do think we'll see more for the public - following a model like Kurono and Hajime.

linky - https://monochrome-watches.com/the-m...-buy-but-cant/

Video of the rotor which is a bit nauseating

Too plain! ;-) This is my heart's desire.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Too plain! ;-) This is my heart's desire.
    You know what Bob, you're actually right - it is a bit too plain. Also due to the Miyota movement - you can't dress that up too far. Agree with you - I've tried that watch on, its beautiful and wears so well. Reminds me, my bonkers watch thread needs an update.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    A MB&F for under 2k!?!?! Alas not available to you sir - well maybe for one member who owns an MB&F and will probably be offered one. And technically not an MB&F, as it's under the 'MAD' label.

Honestly I'm not sure it looks great, a bit too novel, but I do think we'll see more for the public - following a model like Kurono and Hajime.
    It will come as absolutely no surprise to hear I have one of these on the way... at that price, it was a no-brainer!

Totally agree on the Kurono model - I expect to see them for sale to the general public in a slightly different colour scheme towards the end of this year or early 2022.

All the best,

Paul

Master
    I wouldn’t want one even if it was freely available to buy, reminds me a bit of those car dashboard compass. So I don’t get this one and the Kurono with the cheap as chips Miyota movements in a fancy package and a heavy dash of hype. These will be wtf was I thinking watches in a few years time. Take away the hype it’s no better than those Dietrich watches

Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    It will come as absolutely no surprise to hear I have one of these on the way... at that price, it was a no-brainer!

Totally agree on the Kurono model - I expect to see them for sale to the general public in a slightly different colour scheme towards the end of this year or early 2022.

All the best,

Paul
    You were the one member I made the exception for and looking forward to your pics! Even though not quite up my street, I am still intrigued to see if/when more colours are made!

Master
    Extremely cool watch. I'd love one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I wouldn’t want one even if it was freely available to buy, reminds me a bit of those car dashboard compass. So I don’t get this one and the Kurono with the cheap as chips Miyota movements in a fancy package and a heavy dash of hype. These will be wtf was I thinking watches in a few years time. Take away the hype it’s no better than those Dietrich watches
    I think you need to see watches from independent watchmakers in person in order to make any kind of judgement on them. Some aren’t worth the money and others are incredibly well put together and a lot more interesting than your run-of-the-mill Omega, Rolex or even Patek, depending on the price point you’re looking at IMHO.

You were the one member I made the exception for and looking forward to your pics! Even though not quite up my street, I am still intrigued to see if/when more colours are made!
    I had a feeling it was me you were referring to!

Might be a while before I get mine as I don’t think I was as quick on the draw as I was with the Toki. It may be on the larger side of the watches I usually wear (although the lugs make it look much more wearable than some watches of the same size) but it was the intriguing method of displaying the time that appealed to me!

(It will certainly keep me going until the 6542 sells and I can go crazy with the Urwerk anyway...!)

Cheers,

Paul

I had a feeling it was me you were referring to!

Might be a while before I get mine as I don’t think I was as quick on the draw as I was with the Toki. It may be on the larger side of the watches I usually wear (although the lugs make it look much more wearable than some watches of the same size) but it was the intriguing method of displaying the time that appealed to me!

(It will certainly keep me going until the 6542 sells and I can go crazy with the Urwerk anyway...!)

Cheers,

Paul
    Well, you know where to find me if you don't bond with it

I think the lugs will definitely help - i hope the rotor isn't that annoying (i doubt it...)

There is a YouTube review of a Kurono watch by a guy who also posted on watchuseek. Nice looking watch but nothing remarkable and had a few QC issues. Got a very less than impressive response from Kurono when he contacted them too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    There is a YouTube review of a Kurono watch by a guy who also posted on watchuseek. Nice looking watch but nothing remarkable and had a few QC issues. Got a very less than impressive response from Kurono when he contacted them too.
    Yes, I find it all a bit strange. Not in a million years would you see Roger Smith or Phillipe Dufour launch a basic mass produced miyota movement watch, but then charge decent £££ for it.

Master
    I think you need to see watches from independent watchmakers in person in order to make any kind of judgement on them. Some aren’t worth the money and others are incredibly well put together and a lot more interesting than your run-of-the-mill Omega, Rolex or even Patek, depending on the price point you’re looking at IMHO.
    Handled FPJ a few times and met Kari Voutilainen at Salon QP. Definitely appreciate the man hours and finishing of those watches, another level and worth every penny.

Yes, I find it all a bit strange. Not in a million years would you see Roger Smith or Phillipe Dufour launch a basic mass produced miyota movement watch, but then charge decent £££ for it.
    Lower the price point and there are Dornbluth, Hentschel or even Ophion. Its not so much what they charge but the sales tactics that annoy me.

Master

An affordable MB&F!?!?! Alas, you're not worthy

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Lower the price point and there are Dornbluth, Hentschel or even Ophion. Its not so much what they charge but the sales tactics that annoy me.
    Agree, hype and tactics attracts the FOMO crowd

Agree, hype and tactics attracts the FOMO crowd
    IG has really made the FOMO crowd unbearable unfortunately.

The FOMO crowd has got me begging for watches which should be in the window and unable to buy any pair of big standard Nike Dunks. Cowboys!

I am admiring the decent torque of the Myiota spinning those rings on the periphery.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The FOMO crowd has got me begging for watches which should be in the window and unable to buy any pair of big standard Nike Dunks. Cowboys!
    Really is - I'm over it all. Taking watches, I'm happy I got in before the Ming hype really took off and was never in Kurono. Question is - am I prepared for the seconds required to get ones of these M.A.D. watches if they're available for public release? Hmmm I'm not sure.

Just had a look online - I had no idea Nike Dunks were in such demand!!! Wtf!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I am admiring the decent torque of the Myiota spinning those rings on the periphery.
    Very good observation - I wonder if some modification done to up the torque?

Very good observation - I wonder if some modification done to up the torque?
    My feeling is that it is not going to work at all.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Might be a while before I get mine...
    It appears I was wrong...

It really is M.A.D.!

Master
    Max is a class act.

https://youtu.be/C0b_rgZ5oCA

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Max is a class act.

Absolutely. Along with the whole of the MB&F team.

Max is a class act.

Thanks for that. I wonder what the new price will be for the hoi poloi...

PS I still think it will not work.

Great video, seems like a decent guy.

I'd be interested to see what they eventually sell for to mortals. Looks bonkers, I love it.

It really is M.A.D.!
    Congrats, a lot quicker than expected then! Great production for the price.

On Max's video - I hope people appreciate the resource constraints smaller brands have in creating any sort of volume. Look forward to seeing what a more serial produced watch looks like as some changes were hinted by him.

Craftsman

It really is M.A.D.!
    That looks really interesting, would you honour us with a few more pics Paul?! What are your first impressions?

I do like their ethos, I’ll never be in a position to afford one, but they are cool

Craftsman
    Max is a class act.

Agreed, his transparency is really refreshing. Would love buy one if they eventually manage to make them available to a wider audience.

Congrats, a lot quicker than expected then! Great production for the price.

On Max's video - I hope people appreciate the resource constraints smaller brands have in creating any sort of volume. Look forward to seeing what a more serial produced watch looks like as some changes were hinted by him.
    Agreed 100%. Given how few pieces MB&F produce annually and what they actually do as part of the M.A.D.1 production process, they’re just not going to be mass-produced watches, regardless of what the public want!

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    That looks really interesting, would you honour us with a few more pics Paul?! What are your first impressions?

I do like their ethos, I’ll never be in a position to afford one, but they are cool
    I’ve tried uploading videos on here before without success so the best way of seeing the spinning in action is if you have Instagram and keep an eye on my stories there.

Here’s another quick pic of the MB&F family so far though...

First impressions are that wears really well due to the crazy lug design, is an incredibly well put together piece of kit and makes me smile every time I look at it (much like any MB&F, in fact!)

It does sit very high but, given I’ve been wearing the HM9 more than any other watch since I picked it up, I’m kind of used to watches not being “normal” anymore so that’s not a problem for me...!

Cheers,

Paul

Master
    Great picture! I absolutely love anything MB&F turn their hand to including all the MAD gallery collaborations.

Metal bracelets

Hi Paul, you are entitled to the M.A.D Red too?

Was wandering if you entertain the thoughts of switching to metal bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by emstudio View Post
    Hi Paul, you are entitled to the M.A.D Red too?

Was wandering if you entertain the thoughts of switching to metal bracelet?
    I am entitled in the same way as any other collector who asked them about it prior to the launch and very much looking forward to adding it to the blue one!

Would be really interested in a metal bracelet option and I did look into it when I got the blue but it would have to be curved ended yet not flush to the case to fit around the “pointer” that tells the time. It’s tricky enough to find a strap that fits and I ended up going down the bespoke route for one made to OEM specifications.

I am entitled in the same way as any other collector who asked them about it prior to the launch and very much looking forward to adding it to the blue one!

Would be really interested in a metal bracelet option and I did look into it when I got the blue but it would have to be curved ended yet not flush to the case to fit around the “pointer” that tells the time. It’s tricky enough to find a strap that fits and I ended up going down the bespoke route for one made to OEM specifications.
    Can you point Max to this thread and how I was a trail-blazer so I can allocated one of the public ones?

Can you point Max to this thread and how I was a trail-blazer so I can allocated one of the public ones?
    Haha - sure I’ll show it to him next week…!

Thanks for sharing! Can share further or PM me the direction of that bespoke route?

Quote Originally Posted by emstudio View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Can share further or PM me the direction of that bespoke route?
    https://delugs.com/

Ken has the OEM measurements. I can highly recommend the Alcantara option!

Master
    Probably the most ridiculous watch I’ve ever seen. The whole point of a watch is to tell the time and this makes it nigh on impossible to do. If this is a good buy at under £2k then I’m flummoxed. Wouldn’t pay 2p for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Probably the most ridiculous watch I’ve ever seen. The whole point of a watch is to tell the time and this makes it nigh on impossible to do. If this is a good buy at under £2k then I’m flummoxed. Wouldn’t pay 2p for it.
    You do know that the time is read on the side of the watch, there’s nothing on the top to see other than the rotor?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Couldn't agree more yet the grey market prices on these are eye watering.

What has the world come to.

Big fan of MB&F and am really hoping I get lucky in the draw!