closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: An affordable MB&F!?!?! Alas, you're not worthy

  1. #1

    An affordable MB&F!?!?! Alas, you're not worthy

    A MB&F for under 2k!?!?! Alas not available to you sir - well maybe for one member who owns an MB&F and will probably be offered one. And technically not an MB&F, as it's under the 'MAD' label.

    Honestly I'm not sure it looks great, a bit too novel, but I do think we'll see more for the public - following a model like Kurono and Hajime.



    linky - https://monochrome-watches.com/the-m...-buy-but-cant/

    Video of the rotor which is a bit nauseating


  2. #2
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    35,979
    Too plain! ;-) This is my heart's desire.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Too plain! ;-) This is my heart's desire.
    You know what Bob, you're actually right - it is a bit too plain. Also due to the Miyota movement - you can't dress that up too far. Agree with you - I've tried that watch on, its beautiful and wears so well. Reminds me, my bonkers watch thread needs an update.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    A MB&F for under 2k!?!?! Alas not available to you sir - well maybe for one member who owns an MB&F and will probably be offered one. And technically not an MB&F, as it's under the 'MAD' label.

    Honestly I'm not sure it looks great, a bit too novel, but I do think we'll see more for the public - following a model like Kurono and Hajime.
    It will come as absolutely no surprise to hear I have one of these on the way... at that price, it was a no-brainer!

    Totally agree on the Kurono model - I expect to see them for sale to the general public in a slightly different colour scheme towards the end of this year or early 2022.

    All the best,

    Paul

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,903
    I wouldnít want one even if it was freely available to buy, reminds me a bit of those car dashboard compass. So I donít get this one and the Kurono with the cheap as chips Miyota movements in a fancy package and a heavy dash of hype. These will be wtf was I thinking watches in a few years time. Take away the hype itís no better than those Dietrich watches

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    It will come as absolutely no surprise to hear I have one of these on the way... at that price, it was a no-brainer!

    Totally agree on the Kurono model - I expect to see them for sale to the general public in a slightly different colour scheme towards the end of this year or early 2022.

    All the best,

    Paul
    You were the one member I made the exception for and looking forward to your pics! Even though not quite up my street, I am still intrigued to see if/when more colours are made!

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    West Sussex, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    6,976
    Extremely cool watch. I'd love one!!!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I wouldnít want one even if it was freely available to buy, reminds me a bit of those car dashboard compass. So I donít get this one and the Kurono with the cheap as chips Miyota movements in a fancy package and a heavy dash of hype. These will be wtf was I thinking watches in a few years time. Take away the hype itís no better than those Dietrich watches
    I think you need to see watches from independent watchmakers in person in order to make any kind of judgement on them. Some arenít worth the money and others are incredibly well put together and a lot more interesting than your run-of-the-mill Omega, Rolex or even Patek, depending on the price point youíre looking at IMHO.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    You were the one member I made the exception for and looking forward to your pics! Even though not quite up my street, I am still intrigued to see if/when more colours are made!
    I had a feeling it was me you were referring to!

    Might be a while before I get mine as I donít think I was as quick on the draw as I was with the Toki. It may be on the larger side of the watches I usually wear (although the lugs make it look much more wearable than some watches of the same size) but it was the intriguing method of displaying the time that appealed to me!

    (It will certainly keep me going until the 6542 sells and I can go crazy with the Urwerk anyway...!)

    Cheers,

    Paul

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    I had a feeling it was me you were referring to!

    Might be a while before I get mine as I donít think I was as quick on the draw as I was with the Toki. It may be on the larger side of the watches I usually wear (although the lugs make it look much more wearable than some watches of the same size) but it was the intriguing method of displaying the time that appealed to me!

    (It will certainly keep me going until the 6542 sells and I can go crazy with the Urwerk anyway...!)

    Cheers,

    Paul
    Well, you know where to find me if you don't bond with it

    I think the lugs will definitely help - i hope the rotor isn't that annoying (i doubt it...)

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I wouldnít want one even if it was freely available to buy, reminds me a bit of those car dashboard compass. So I donít get this one and the Kurono with the cheap as chips Miyota movements in a fancy package and a heavy dash of hype. These will be wtf was I thinking watches in a few years time. Take away the hype itís no better than those Dietrich watches
    There is a YouTube review of a Kurono watch by a guy who also posted on watchuseek. Nice looking watch but nothing remarkable and had a few QC issues. Got a very less than impressive response from Kurono when he contacted them too.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    There is a YouTube review of a Kurono watch by a guy who also posted on watchuseek. Nice looking watch but nothing remarkable and had a few QC issues. Got a very less than impressive response from Kurono when he contacted them too.
    Yes, I find it all a bit strange. Not in a million years would you see Roger Smith or Phillipe Dufour launch a basic mass produced miyota movement watch, but then charge decent £££ for it.

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman78 View Post
    I think you need to see watches from independent watchmakers in person in order to make any kind of judgement on them. Some arenít worth the money and others are incredibly well put together and a lot more interesting than your run-of-the-mill Omega, Rolex or even Patek, depending on the price point youíre looking at IMHO.
    Handled FPJ a few times and met Kari Voutilainen at Salon QP. Definitely appreciate the man hours and finishing of those watches, another level and worth every penny.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Yes, I find it all a bit strange. Not in a million years would you see Roger Smith or Phillipe Dufour launch a basic mass produced miyota movement watch, but then charge decent £££ for it.
    Lower the price point and there are Dornbluth, Hentschel or even Ophion. Its not so much what they charge but the sales tactics that annoy me.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,903

    An affordable MB&F!?!?! Alas, you're not worthy

    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Lower the price point and there are Dornbluth, Hentschel or even Ophion. Its not so much what they charge but the sales tactics that annoy me.
    Agree, hype and tactics attracts the FOMO crowd

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Agree, hype and tactics attracts the FOMO crowd
    IG has really made the FOMO crowd unbearable unfortunately.

  17. #17
    The FOMO crowd has got me begging for watches which should be in the window and unable to buy any pair of big standard Nike Dunks. Cowboys!

  18. #18
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,852
    I am admiring the decent torque of the Myiota spinning those rings on the periphery.
    Look, heís winding up the watch of his wit; by and by it will strike.

    Ė William Shakespeare

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The FOMO crowd has got me begging for watches which should be in the window and unable to buy any pair of big standard Nike Dunks. Cowboys!
    Really is - I'm over it all. Taking watches, I'm happy I got in before the Ming hype really took off and was never in Kurono. Question is - am I prepared for the seconds required to get ones of these M.A.D. watches if they're available for public release? Hmmm I'm not sure.

    Just had a look online - I had no idea Nike Dunks were in such demand!!! Wtf!

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I am admiring the decent torque of the Myiota spinning those rings on the periphery.
    Very good observation - I wonder if some modification done to up the torque?

  20. #20
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,852
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    .....

    Very good observation - I wonder if some modification done to up the torque?
    My feeling is that it is not going to work at all.
    Look, heís winding up the watch of his wit; by and by it will strike.

    Ė William Shakespeare

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information